The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think what is abnormal in your eyes, is actually really normal in their circle. Jack Brooksbank didn't get invited to either William or Zara's wedding even though he had been dating Eugenie for over a year at that point. During the 3 years Pippa dated Nico, she probably attended around 15 weddings yet Nico was only invited to 2 of those weddings.

And we must not forget that neither Catherine nor Chelsy were invited to Charles and Camilla's church blessing. This all seems rather standard.
Huh? We aren't talking about Charles and Camilla here, or even William or Zara. Pippa is a private citizen, so is Harry's friend Tom and he and Meghan showed up to that wedding. So no, I wouldn't say this is standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
If Harry didn't want to attend without girlfriend, he would not have gone. His decision.
Well that's obvious. I'm just confused as to why he would want to (if we believe Meghan wasn't invited).

Old 05-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

"It's not fair we have not gotten pictures".

Old 05-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I have never been to a wedding with a plus one ever. If you are not in enough of a relationship for your partner to be named on the invitation, you are expected to come single. Has nothing to do with rings. But the whole concept of finding a 'wedding date' makes little sense. Why should the wedding couple pay for a plate for someone you may just have me.
That is exactly what I have always read in Etiquette books unless new revised editions say differently. Heck, a plus one might even be a old drinking buddy.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
All I'm going to say to this is that it's been obvious for awhile now that Harry and Meghan are serious and I've been to enough weddings to know changes are made to accommodate guests. I certainly don't believe that making room for one guest a few months in advance would just be asking too much.

With that said, let me just make it clear that I don't care that Meghan wasn't at the wedding. But these particular circumstances seem odd to me and none of the explanations are adding up.

Ok. Still doesn't convince me that this situation is any less strange.
I agree with you 100%! If she wanted to be there or her presence was requested accommodations could have been made.

Meghan would have upstaged Pippa so it is actually best that she didn't go
Old 05-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan wouldn't have updated the bride folks. It's all about trying to maintain some privacy for Harry and Meghan.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Huh? We aren't talking about Charles and Camilla here, or even William or Zara. Pippa is a private citizen, so is Harry's friend Tom and he and Meghan showed up to that wedding. So no, I wouldn't say this is standard.

Well that's obvious. I'm just confused as to why he would want to (if we believe Meghan wasn't invited).
Well, Catherine and CHelsy weren't invited to Tom Parker-Bowles wedding and he's a private citizen. Pippa only got to bring Nico to two of the many weddings she attended. The many weddings were of private citizens.

In your neck of the woods things may be done differently, and that's fine. But in their world it's not odd.

As for some of the other posts, I get that some people are frustrated that they got lied to by the tabloids, but that's not Pippa's fault and it's not Meghan's fault.

Last year People Magazine claimed Meghan was going to spend Christmas at Amner Hall with the Middleton family. When that didn't happen some Meghan fans were upset. I had hoped that incident would of led to more skepticism when reading articles from an overzealous media, but today has shown me otherwise.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course she would have!
In the past few days Meghan's bum was the front cover on no fewer than 5 gossip rags. Social media was all abuzz about her and what she would would be wearing.
It would have been a PR disaster had she attended the ceremony.

Even now, if you check out twitter and other social media sites...there is constant talk of her absence.
One twitter user wrote:
"Can't recall too many weddings where someone's absence effectively upstages the bride.That kind of backfired. " 😅😅
Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
That is exactly what I have always read in Etiquette books unless new revised editions say differently. Heck, a plus one might even be a old drinking buddy.
Yes, according to updated Emily post, the only ones who you are required by courtesy to invite are spouses, fiances and live in partners. Some people will extend this to include people who have dated for over a year. But as Post would say, consistency. If you allow one person a date who they have been together less then a year, you need to permit everyone to do so.

It's also considered rude, even if you are a prince, to insist someone be added last minute.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
In the past few days Meghan's bum was the front cover on no fewer than 5 gossip rags. Social media was all abuzz about her and what she would would be wearing.

Even now, if you check out twitter and other social media sites...there is constant talk of her absence.
One twitter user wrote:
"Can't recall too many weddings where someone's absence effectively upstages the bride.That kind of backfired. " 😅😅
No she wouldn't have upstaged Pippa. The only pics would've been provided was arrivals and departures. It's Harry and Meghan that's trying to maintain some privacy right now. It's a slow process of emerging in public as a couple. Harry is trying to do things a bit differently than his past relationships.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post

One twitter user wrote:
"Can't recall too many weddings where someone's absence effectively upstages the bride.That kind of backfired. " ����
See, this upstaging makes no sense to me. If Pippa/the Middletons are as private as everyone seems to think they are, then the twitterverse and media crowing about Meghan not being at the wedding should not concern them one whit. That their family & friends were there to share in their special day, regardless of who else was or wasn't there, should be all that matters to Pippa, James, and their families. And vice versa for their guests. Harry & Meghan would have been seated in the church by the time the bride arrived, so she would not have had to deal with the media hoopla over H+M.

Alisa - I am not singling you out; just happened to quote you
Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Well, Catherine and CHelsy weren't invited to Tom Parker-Bowles wedding and he's a private citizen. Pippa only got to bring Nico to two of the many weddings she attended. The many weddings were of private citizens.

In your neck of the woods things may be done differently, and that's fine. But in their world it's not odd.
Not sure why you are still going with this argument when it's been pointed out that Meghan and Harry attended a wedding together already. Do they have to attend every wedding together? No. But to say it's standard for a girlfriend/boyfriend not to attend the wedding of a private citizen isn't accurate. And again, I was referring to this particular situation, not suggesting it was merely odd for a girlfriend not to attend a wedding.

Quote:
]As for some of the other posts, I get that some people are frustrated that they got lied to by the tabloids, but that's not Pippa's fault and it's not Meghan's fault.

Last year People Magazine claimed Meghan was going to spend Christmas at Amner Hall with the Middleton family. When that didn't happen some Meghan fans were upset. I had hoped that incident would of led to more skepticism when reading articles from an overzealous media, but today has shown me otherwise.
Ha. People is one of the more reputable entertainment mags. I don't think they ever reported that. But I could be wrong. Link?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 PM
Nobility

I just want pictures of the reception. Then I want an engagement announcement. Then a wedding. Then some babies!! Is that asking too much? :)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
I just want pictures of the reception. Then I want an engagement announcement. Then a wedding. Then some babies!! Is that asking too much? :)
All in one day! It takes some time for all that to happen. We just have to wait and see what the couple do.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Haha! One of the royal reporters tweeted that there may be reception pictures. We shall see...
Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

People magazine has reported that Meghan remained in London and went to the evening party only. Harry drove back to pick her up, presumably in plenty of time, according to them.

Meghan Markle Joins Prince Harry at Pippa Middleton's Wedding
Old 05-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Majesty

It might be true. But people has a tendency to regurgitate what other reporters have already said. Their source is likely another magazine.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Ha. People is one of the more reputable entertainment mags. I don't think they ever reported that. But I could be wrong. Link?
Well, People weren't that credible earlier today were they. Anyway, People talked about how Meghan spending Christmas at Sandringham would be unprecedented "not that it would stop Harry" and it would be much more likely that she spends the holidays at a nearby home like Anmer-

"But as one friend tells PEOPLE, “He is very serious about her,” and she is spending time with him in London just a week after he flew to Toronto to see her following his two-week tour of the Caribbean.

Insiders say there is nothing to stop her being in the U.K. around the holidays and staying at one of the other royal homes, including nearby Anmer Hall — Will and Kate’s country home where she could join them for a shooting party and other festive fun.
"

Why Christmas with the Queen Is a 'Tall Order' for Meghan Markle

And since the Middletons had been expected at Anmer last year - since the Cambridges spend every other holiday with them, that meant Meghan bunking with the Middletons. Of course, a couple days later the media found out about the Cambridges spending Christmas in Bucklebury so they dropped that silly Anmer speculation/story. But yes, People were one of the many tabloids that were spreading that Meghan at Anmer speculation last year.

Here's some of the posts about it on this thread. The longtime royal watchers were rather dubious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
People Magazine thinks Meghan may stay at Anmer Hall over the holidays and go shooting with Harry.

One, Anmer is William and Catherine's and two, Meghan doesn't strike me as a stalking deer, shooting pheasants type of girl.

Harry may have to give up country pursuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Aren't there other properties on Sandringham for Harry to stay at. I don't think he's been staying at Anmer Hall before so I don't know why he would stay there now and bring a Girlfriend around two young kids who for all purpose is a stranger to them.
It would be one thing for them to stay with William and Catherine if they didn't have kids.
Also I'm sure the Middletons are coming over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I agree. Especially considering how close Kate is to her siblings. I have no doubt that Donna and James have both met the couple often. There is a difference between being invited to a public occasion like a royal christening, and having dinner at their private home. I am sure when James and pippa marry he will be seen at more, like if Kate and will have a third child, at the baptism.

It's long tradition that the only people invited to sandringham for Christmas are at least engaged. But Amner is different. The middletons are invited, so Kate and will cN participate in the official royal Christmas events but still celebrate with her family. This is a balance others like Camilla likely wish for.

Harry doesn't have his own home there. It doesnt seem odd he may bring Meghan with him. I doubt actually during Christmas but perhaps avfewvdays before. I agree, I think she is likely to be home for Christmas, that she is there now because they don't be together on the actual holiday. It wouldn't be ,u h for them to spend a night or two at Amner. Meghan is not a dangerous stranger, I doubt the Cambridges mind her around their kids, sure they want to meet uncle Harry's friend. It is different then taking her to stay with dad and stepmom which may be a huge step right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
This is a version of what I expect as well - she is in London this week and having a lovely Christmas holiday with her boyfriend - will return to US or Canada next week to spend time with her family and Harry & Meghan will probably meet somewhere warm after Boxing Day for a lovely holiday.

I think the scenario of Meghan staying at Anmer Hall is an odd one for their first holiday together as it would still require Harry leaving her at certain times to go to Sandringham with the royal family... specifically Christmas Eve and walking into Christmas Day Services. The Middletons are there as a family and used to the protocal - but as a new girlfriend I would feel really awkward being left behind. Having this special time together now is a great way to avoid putting Meghan in that uncomfortable position.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRoyalWatcher View Post
http://http://www.etonline.com/news/...leton_wedding/

Update on the wedding via ET. Meghan and Harry left KP together, he dropped her off at the Middleton Mansion, went to the wedding/earlier reception. Now, he is supposedly going to get her for the bigger reception. I'm guessing no one really knows why she didn't attend.
I haven't yet read the last two pages of this thread because I just arrived back to the conversation. However, I suspect that there was never an intention for Meghan to attend Pippa's church ceremony. That was a creation of the media that took on a life of it's own after the heavily sensationalized polo match kiss.

Meghan attending the church ceremony may have been discussed, but due to the excessive OTT media stories, and especially the thoughtless and petty insinuation that Meghan and Pippa (who Meghan had never previously met) were going to be in some kind of war of 'backsides,' on Pippa's wedding day, surely scotched any thought of Meghan appearing at the church. I would think Meghan mutually agreed to it, or perhaps even came to the conclusion herself. Such a totally ridiculous and irresponsible 'front page' story with accompanying pictures came out on the eve of Pippa's wedding. And another media publication was already leading with a bogus headline the day before the wedding, gleefully discussing how 'Meghan stole Pippa's spotlight.'

It will serve the media right if they never get any more pictures of Meghan at all this weekend.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Nobility

Wild thought - is there any chance Meghan WAS there, but kind of got smuggled in and out?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Nobility

No pictures or Meghan's invite to this event was B.S.from start to finish.