The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
That says more about The Firm than Meghan, if I'd think it to be true. But I'm struggling to see how she's ill suited. And I'm struggling to what the rude awakening is going to be.

Imo the whole BRF is big on media and PR, 'Media Meghan' has even that experience in the bag.
I agree. I look forward to the answer to those two questions: how is Meghan ill-suited? What is the rude awakening going to be?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. I look forward to the answer to those two questions: how is Meghan ill-suited? What is the rude awakening going to be?
She'll find out that all the senior royals get a good ol' fashion spanking every year in the Buckingham Palace basement.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ooooooh... I'd forgotten about that. Brings to mind that in the past, them spankings were spared the royal children by the loyal whipping boys always on hand.

Shhhhh.... don't tell Meghan. She needs to face that initiation into the BRF for herself.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think Meghan is one of the most ill suited royal girlfriends in a long time. If they do get married, she's really going to struggle to be accepted into The Firm and British society in general.

It's Harry's choice obviously, but I think 'Media Meghan' is in for a rude awakening when the time comes.
Why "Media Meghan"? Why is it necessary to be snarky about someone we know nothing about and call them nasty childish names when there is no evidence to support such an appellation.

She deals with the media in the course of her job and doesn't have a toxic relationship with them. I'd chance a guess that she hasn't really given them much of a thought. Should the relationship proceed, then we will see what we will see? Regardless, childish name calling smacks of envy and inverted snobbery.

Well, Mark Todd was the first "ill-suited boyfriend" followed by Sarah as the first, "ill-suited girlfriend", then came Sophie and Catherine. None of them was titled and Sophie was the only one with an ordinary education and a career that involved an actual paycheck. Catherine, working for the family firm, somewhat unfairly, got stuck with the "Waity Katy" appellation by a media that doesn't recognise working for your family's firm.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quite right Marge. I agree with you!

By the way, the Express asked the Westminster Abbey authorities about Harry marrying a divorcee and about a possible interfaith marriage there, and a spokesperson said that both were OK.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'CAN marry at Westminster Abbey' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Why "Media Meghan"? Why is it necessary to be snarky about someone we know nothing about and call them nasty childish names when there is no evidence to support such an appellation.

She deals with the media in the course of her job and doesn't have a toxic relationship with them. I'd chance a guess that she hasn't really given them much of a thought. Should the relationship proceed, then we will see what we will see? Regardless, childish name calling smacks of envy and inverted snobbery.

Well, Mark Todd was the first "ill-suited boyfriend" followed by Sarah as the first, "ill-suited girlfriend", then came Sophie and Catherine. None of them was titled and Sophie was the only one with an ordinary education and a career that involved an actual paycheck. Catherine, working for the family firm, somewhat unfairly, got stuck with the "Waity Katy" appellation by a media that doesn't recognise working for your family's firm.
I do think that any royal should just be an adult and have a straightforward relationship with the press instead of an immature cloak/dagger approach or in fact, resentfulness punctuated with lawsuits.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, the only lawsuit that has been going on at the moment has been between the Cambridges and French media/paps. Harry isn't suing anyone as far as is known, and Maghan is neither Royal nor launching lawsuits.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:52 AM
Serene Highness

Exactly; she's not suing the media for taking an interest in covering her.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, she's an actress at the moment not a Royal. The time to become paranoid about the Press, if you will, is when you're a Royal and the tabloids are constantly speculating about your life while you want privacy.

Are you saying that just because Meghan is an actress she automatically courts and indeed promotes all the publicity she gets, all the wretched tabloid fodder spewed out every day, because that certainly doesn't appear to be the case to me.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I do think that any royal should just be an adult and have a straightforward relationship with the press instead of an immature cloak/dagger approach or in fact, resentfulness punctuated with lawsuits.
There are very few actual journalists covering the British Royal family. There are many tabloid press of varying degrees of respectability and then the paparazzi. Sometimes the drive for clicks or sales drive some of the more respectable press-into joining the gutter press. Respect is a two way street.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 AM
Nobility

Compared to what's usually considered part of the job for an actress, Meghan seems to have always taken a fairly low-key approach to courting the media. She's done her share of red carpet appearances over the years, but not with the "I must be photographed at all the things!" approach of many mid-level actresses. And all of that has been tamped down pretty tightly since getting involved with Harry. She did have that very brief period of two or three cutesy coded Instagram posts, but she seems to have learned very quickly just how much the public can and will read into things and stopped those all together.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

In this interview, she states if she wasn't acting she would be involved in politics. The RF stays neural and quiet on political matters. Would she be able to do the same? I can't imagine the press would take well to an American member of the RF commenting on British affairs.
Also interesting she had issues passing the foreign service exam.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post

In this interview, she states if she wasn't acting she would be involved in politics. The RF stays neural and quiet on political matters. Would she be able to do the same? I can't imagine the press would take well to an American member of the RF commenting on British affairs.
Also interesting she had issues passing the foreign service exam.
Her statement in that video about politics is pretty vague. Whether or not it would be difficult for her to be neutral on political matters depends on what aspect of politics/governance she would have wanted to take on in her career and what about it interests her.

She was on a diplomatic career track before shifting into acting; in many ways the job of a royal is all about diplomacy. It should be noted that the Foreign Service Exam has a reputation for being very difficult. The written portion covers a very broad range of subjects and the interview phase involves having to troubleshoot complicated, thorny problems very quickly while a panel watches. She must have passed it, though, to have worked in the embassy in Argentina.

There are a lot of political positions within government agencies that are about championing/enacting policies related to the welfare of citizens. In monarchies, the next step after passing those policies through the government seems to be snagging some member of the royal family to highlight the new programs through patronages, attending key events, etc. So if that's what interested her, there's still very much a role to play.

But yes, if what she wanted to do was run for an elected office, play a role in campaigns or crafting laws, the royal life might be frustrating for her.

The good news for Meghan is that she seems to have already had a pretty good idea of what she wants to do with her life and what she finds fulfilling. She's experienced a dramatic change in career already, when she shifted from foreign service to acting. So that surely puts her in a good position to really think through whether her goals and aspirations line up well with the kind of life Harry has to offer. We'll just have to "stay tuned" to see what she and her prince decide on that matter.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Her statement in that video about politics is pretty vague. Whether or not it would be difficult for her to be neutral on political matters depends on what aspect of politics/governance she would have wanted to take on in her career and what about it interests her.

She was on a diplomatic career track before shifting into acting; in many ways the job of a royal is all about diplomacy. It should be noted that the Foreign Service Exam has a reputation for being very difficult. The written portion covers a very broad range of subjects and the interview phase involves having to troubleshoot complicated, thorny problems very quickly while a panel watches. She must have passed it, though, to have worked in the embassy in Argentina.

There are a lot of political positions within government agencies that are about championing/enacting policies related to the welfare of citizens. In monarchies, the next step after passing those policies through the government seems to be snagging some member of the royal family to highlight the new programs through patronages, attending key events, etc. So if that's what interested her, there's still very much a role to play.

But yes, if what she wanted to do was run for an elected office, play a role in campaigns or crafting laws, the royal life might be frustrating for her.

The good news for Meghan is that she seems to have already had a pretty good idea of what she wants to do with her life and what she finds fulfilling. She's experienced a dramatic change in career already, when she shifted from foreign service to acting. So that surely puts her in a good position to really think through whether her goals and aspirations line up well with the kind of life Harry has to offer. We'll just have to "stay tuned" to see what she and her prince decide on that matter.
I think she had an internship at the Embassy, not an actual position(I could be wrong though). I just looked up the foreign service exam and process and its very intense. I wonder how many start the process and make it to the end.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyT View Post
I think she had an internship at the Embassy, not an actual position(I could be wrong though). I just looked up the foreign service exam and process and its very intense. I wonder how many start the process and make it to the end.
Oh, I hadn't heard that it was an internship. One way or another, it is a very intense process. I have family who went into foreign service after earning very intensive advanced degrees; they were on pins and needles until they passed the test in a way that they never were about any of the big hurdles involved in graduate school!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Nobility

She worked at the embassy of Argentina, so I don't know what kind or what level of politics she is talking about. She, to me, seems so charming, easy going, and easy to talk to/with.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think Meghan is one of the most ill suited royal girlfriends in a long time. If they do get married, she's really going to struggle to be accepted into The Firm and British society in general.

It's Harry's choice obviously, but I think 'Media Meghan' is in for a rude awakening when the time comes.
What do you know about British society, being a Canadian? No offense.

Also, the "Media Meghan" nickname baffles me- is it because she has an Instagram account and a blog? Wow. Shocking! She has social media like the majority of the population! How exactly does that make her a bad girlfriend for Harry? As far as I know she has been discreet and posts innocuous things, mostly motivational quotes or pictures of her humanitarian work.

If Diana was a royal girlfriend today, she'd probably have social media too.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfisa View Post
What do you know about British society, being a Canadian? No offense.

Also, the "Media Meghan" nickname baffles me- is it because she has an Instagram account and a blog? Wow. Shocking! She has social media like the majority of the population! How exactly does that make her a bad girlfriend for Harry? As far as I know she has been discreet and posts innocuous things, mostly motivational quotes or pictures of her humanitarian work.

If Diana was a royal girlfriend today, she'd probably have social media too.
Media Meghan is just projection. As an actress the media and publicity is just a part of life but IMHO Meghan is fairly lowkey. I followed her before Prince Harry and she was like any other low key celebrity who acts, promotes their show, gets involved with humanitarian issues, but regarding her personal life I didnt even know she was married. People say she is a social climber and yet she never talked about her relationships and her IG page never mentioned her boyfriend or husband. My impression at that time was that she was on the Kerry Washington track of being on a hit show, involved in fashion and lifestyle and also politics while keeping her private life private. The exact opposite of The Kardashian model.

If my impression is wrong then I need receipts and not just tumblr rumors and conspiracy theory.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Quite right Marge. I agree with you!

By the way, the Express asked the Westminster Abbey authorities about Harry marrying a divorcee and about a possible interfaith marriage there, and a spokesperson said that both were OK.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'CAN marry at Westminster Abbey' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Although the reply from the Abbey authorities is reassuring for the couple, my humble impression, which may be wrong BTW, is that the real goal of this particular article in the Express was to draw the readers' attention to the fact that Meghan is a "divorcee" and once self-identitified herself as a "Jew" and "half black, half white". In other words, there might be a malicious intention behind it.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
That says more about The Firm than Meghan, if I'd think it to be true. But I'm struggling to see how she's ill suited. And I'm struggling to what the rude awakening is going to be.

Imo the whole BRF is big on media and PR, 'Media Meghan' has even that experience in the bag.

The only person to decide she is ill suited would be Harry. It is his personal life and choice. I have no doubt in my mind that whoever Harry marries will be well protected from The Firm.