The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Church of Scotland allows divorcees to marry

Church of England doesnt do that automatically. Charles was not the issue re marrying in church, it was Camilla because she was a divorcee.

I think it will be same as Charles - civil wedding and blessing.

Right I understand about the CoE, Camilla has a living husband and the CoE doesn't do decrees of nullity..at least not formally. I knew Anne was in a similar situation and that she had to go to Scotland to marry Tim. I just couldn't figure out the Anne reference...it clicked now.

However...I don't see Prince Harry getting married at a small civil service ala Charles. If the CoE doesn't recognize her marriage (as has been opined here) then there wouldn't be an impediment right?

LaRae

Old 04-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

However...I don't see Prince Harry getting married at a small civil service ala Charles. If the CoE doesn't recognize her marriage (as has been opined here) then there wouldn't be an impediment right?

LaRae
CoE does recognise civil marriage, meaning it also recognises she's divorced.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm will be interesting to see what happens, if he marries a divorcee.

LaRae
Old 04-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Ok wasn't sure why it (Anne's second marriage) was brought up then...since it's not the CoE...unless Church of Scotland means something else?

LaRae
I brought it is not outbid question for the family, for a divorcee to have a church wedding. When it comes to royal weddings it's not about church rules alone. It is about public opinion and pr.

Charles could have had a church wedding. The archbishop performed a blessing which gives pretty clear nod the church wasn't opposed. But the royals new the backlash of Charles marrying Camilla. Then there was the whole, future head of the church second wedding to an adulteress.

There is no reason at all to think Harry has to or will have a civil wedding. Even with the criticism of his wedding, there was questioning of the legality of Charles only having a civil wedding. Harry and Meghan will have children, which also changes the outlook.

Whether it's a large public one, or smaller private, IMO the church will be involved.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Aristocracy

I married a divorcee in a CoE church. All we were asked is that our relationship did not cause his divorce. That's why Charles and Camilla didn't marry in church. When Anne and Tim married CoE didn't allow divorcees to marry but that rules has since. Harry and Meghan will be fine
Old 04-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I married a divorcee in a CoE church. All we were asked is that our relationship did not cause his divorce. That's why Charles and Camilla didn't marry in church. When Anne and Tim married CoE didn't allow divorcees to marry but that rules has since. Harry and Meghan will be fine
My brother-in-law is a CoE minister. It's up to individual clerics to agree to perform the marriage.

If Harry marries Meghan, it won't be automatic it's a church wedding, but even if it is, it probably won't be in the Abbey for the sake of optics
Old 04-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

No one knows where the wedding will be, it could be the Abbey, could be St George's. It's certain to be televised however, and the crowds will be out. This will be the last wedding of a senior Royal for probably a generation.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"Meghan Markle, 35, Prince Harry’s girlfriend, is getting close to one of the most famous families in the world. But who are the Suits actor’s parents?"

Meghan Markle parents - Who are Prince Harry’s Suit actress girlfriend’s family? | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk
So we have her parents, do we know anything about her ancestors? Normally we get the entire family tree with royal girlfriends.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure that Ancestry.Com would be more than happy to oblige Ms. Markle and her family for a small fee.

Should we have an announcement from KP in the future, I'm positive that we'll receive the family tree and all of its branches.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
So we have her parents, do we know anything about her ancestors? Normally we get the entire family tree with royal girlfriends.
A few months ago an article digged up her ancestry and spoke of her slave ancestors from the deep south (southern USA).

Meghan has ended all affiliation with her very successful Reitman's modeling/clothing range designs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ador-role.html
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Thankyou, Alisa for the Reitman's info. Another significant shift perhaps.

Yes, I remember that article Alisa. It contrasted Harry's ancestors with Meghan's. I think it was posted here and is buried in the bowels of this thread somewhere. It went far back into the 19th century on the maternal line, but I don't think her father's ancestors got the treatment. Less romantic, I suppose.

Actually, in all the years Harry dated Chelsy Davy I can't remember them going back any further than her grandfather. When Harry and Meghan are engaged the ancestor hunting will start in earnest, I guess.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It will be interesting to see where Meghan fits into the British class system. She'll be the most 'commoner' bride in generations.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
A few months ago an article digged up her ancestry and spoke of her slave ancestors from the deep south (southern USA).
I think her father's side were Maltese and Irish.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It will be interesting to see where Meghan fits into the British class system. She'll be the most 'commoner' bride in generations.
Meghan's 'class' won't enter into it. She's an American and as such will be outside the British habit of classification. Americans have a class system based (for the most part) on wealth not birth. She'll be fine Rudolph, don't worry so much.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

She'll be marrying into a family and country with a class system. Americans don't get a pass.

Her background and family will matter in 'polite' social circles.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Meghan's ancestors https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...sh-Empire.html
Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Interesting. Thanks for this. Pretty much what I was expecting.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She'll be marrying into a family and country with a class system. Americans don't get a pass.

Her background and family will matter in 'polite' social circles.
Not in a way that affects her social standing. And she'll be marrying into almost the very top of that class system, which has a habit of conferring the status of a husband onto his wife.

TBH, I think it would be ill-advised to snub the granddaughter-in-law of the monarch.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan's ancestors were slaves, and later poor working people, as Kate's mother's family were for generation after generation. Meghan's father's ancestors are not known.

The only relative of hers who has persistently come out of the woodwork to gain publicity and alternately attacked and praised Meghan is that peculiar sister of hers, Samantha Grant, whom Meghan hasn't met more than once in 23 years. Samantha has a feuding family, but apart from her niece Meghan hasn't seen any of them for decades. Samantha's last rant included the gem that her book was going to honour her half-sister.

Meghan's parents have said nothing. Nor have her mother's relatives.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No matter who Meghan's relatives are and how many nuts fall out of her family tree when it is given a good shaken, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Meghan herself, her personality, her values and her character.

From all reports, Meghan seems to be a very well rounded individual with many interest, a warm heart and she also has a sense of commitment to whatever it is she takes on. From all aspects, she's been quite successful in varied things that she has put her efforts into.

Should this couple decide to marry, Harry is one lucky man and has hit the proverbial jackpot.