The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Courtier

So she had a 3 day weekend? Yep, those two are in deep - to fly several hours for the chance to spend 3 days together. The jet lag alone from such quick trips would exhaust me. I do like that the going to and fro is working both ways.
Where do the security guys guard from when Harry's at Meghan's? In a car on the street? I know the Middleton's had accomodations arranged for security at their house for when the Cambridges visit and I assume there are quarters for security at the Royal estates, but I guess when a high ranking Royal goes on a private vacation then security must find a hotel to stay in when not on shift.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, there are probably high expenses including accommodation costs for the RPOs accompanying any senior Royal on holidays or weekend trips. Charles on his painting trips to Italy and sojourns in Greece, the Cambridges on their holidays, the York Princesses (though in their case their father pays.) Hope there's a holiday nearby for Harry's RPOs.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
If she worked at all since he got there (which is not guaranteed because shooting schedules don't require her on set every day), it would have only been today. Tomorrow is a statutory holiday in Canada.
Yes, I'm aware. Even without the holiday, I know it's possible she would have a few days off filming, especially with her playing a supporting character. Hence, why I lead with, "if we assume she is still filming..."
Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I was amused at the "gasp . . . seven RPO's" with him and what it is costing the "British taxpayer". Question: they are almost certainly, positive that it is him. So okay, they are leaving room for error. So, where did the exact number of RPO's come from? No, that they are certain of. Odd!

If the number is true, it would seem that security has stepped up but that being said, do they expect two officers to work 24 hours a day for 5 days straight? It would be the same if he stayed home except for the travel and accommodation which, I am assuming he is subbing.
The RPOs work in teams of two for either 6 or 8 hours at a time so 6 would be right with a 7th in case of emergency as they have to have a certain amount of down time between shifts.

They do cost a lot more when overseas as they travel first class - so if Harry went economy so would two of the RPOs while the rest would travel first class. They are also put up in 5 star hotels while away - again at taxpayers expense and are paid an additional allowance for being away from home.

This information was made public when Eugenie was on her gap year between school and university as she was staying in a hostel in India but the off-duty RPOs were at the nearby 5 star hotel and it was explained that that was the requirement. It was also explained that the team was changed every two weeks and had to fly first class regardless of what class the principal flew although there would be two in the same class as the principal.

Of course this trip also means that the RPOs can't be with their own families over Easter at all - yes it is part of the job but most people have some consideration for others and don't only think of themselves when they are taking people away from home.

This trip will be costing the British taxpayers thousands of pounds more than it would cost for Harry to remain in the UK for Easter.

I can see a long of angry people arguing that Harry should be staying at home and reducing the security cost to the British taxpayers who having been living in a state of austerity now for years while the younger members of the BRF, Harry in particular, swan around the world for the 'holidays' and no I am not one who regards the official tours as holidays but Harry does spend a lot of time outside the UK on holidays while his father and grandmother tend to holiday at home.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles spent years going to Italy on painting holidays and other jaunts at various times of the year, including skiing holidays with and without Diana and with his young sons. William and Kate aso took their family to a ski resort for a photo op and on holiday to Biarritz and to Mustique. Presumably RPOs were placed in first class accommodation there too.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Absolutely - any time a royal with RPOs goes overseas they stay in five star accommodations.

In the past the British public weren't so aware of the costs etc but now that they are there are some who are raising questions about the costs at times. Not yet in enough numbers or loud enough to really cause some concern but if it does become an issue then they will have to look at the expenses and Harry's constant overseas jaunts to see Meaghen is just the sort of thing to really bring this to the public's notice and maybe force a change whereby the royals will have to fund all overseas security themselves when not on official duties. I do think they should do that actually and made it very public that they have done so.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

There is an argument though that if the members of the BRF were not who they are they wouldn't need special protection. This is especially so in the case of Harry who is a target for terrorists because of his service in war zones in Afghanstan. I'm sure none of them wish to holiday anywhere with two men at least tailing them everywhere they go.

There may be an outcry about the expense. There would be even more of an outcry IMO if expenses were cut to the bone in this area and as a result the Royal concerned was killed, wounded or kidnapped.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Absolutely - any time a royal with RPOs goes overseas they stay in five star accommodations.

In the past the British public weren't so aware of the costs etc but now that they are there are some who are raising questions about the costs at times. Not yet in enough numbers or loud enough to really cause some concern but if it does become an issue then they will have to look at the expenses and Harry's constant overseas jaunts to see Meaghen is just the sort of thing to really bring this to the public's notice and maybe force a change whereby the royals will have to fund all overseas security themselves when not on official duties. I do think they should do that actually and made it very public that they have done so.
Constant? I believe this is his first trip to Toronto since early December (at least that we know about). That was over 3 months ago. I wouldn't exactly say he's made a habit of visiting her.

Of course some may take issue with that even (namely some on the internet, many whom don't miss an opportunity to complain about the royals spending taxpayer money and the tabloids, who try to drum up drama wherever they can). But I'd think most would see a guy visiting his girlfriend (who's working) every once in awhile as no big deal. I don't foresee this turning into some controversy, unless Harry truly does make a habit out of it and I doubt that.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

There have been rumours of them seeing each other in other places overseas besides Toronto as well as the recent wedding they both went to.

The BRF relies for its very existence on good PR and the media controls that PR. These days there are as many negative stories as positive ones and they do need to be careful to ensure that the stories are more positive than negative and so need to look at ways to reduce the negative stories before what seems no big deal today becomes a massive issue in the future.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:51 AM
Aristocracy

Eh. If Harry is making another trip to Toronto in the next two weeks or so, I think you may have a point. But trying to turn this into a negative or controversy right now just seems like a reach to me.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There have been rumours of them seeing each other in other places overseas besides Toronto as well as the recent wedding they both went to.

The BRF relies for its very existence on good PR and the media controls that PR. These days there are as many negative stories as positive ones and they do need to be careful to ensure that the stories are more positive than negative and so need to look at ways to reduce the negative stories before what seems no big deal today becomes a massive issue in the future.
IMO, criticising royals for travelling in their own time on account of the cost of security just demonstrates a lack of understanding of how these things work. The decision of whom gets what level of security is decided by the Home Office, not BP / KP. If the Home Office decides a certain level of cover is to be provided, then so be it. You cannot imprison royals in their Palaces to reduce costs. They can, and should, continue to pursue their private interests in their own time.

By that same argument, should Theresa May have gone on a walking holiday in Wales earlier this month or in Switzerland last summer? Should she not have walked around Chequers instead? Should Trump not be allowed to go to Florida most weekends because of the costs of his security?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

its not the same. they are elected officials, they have doen SOMETHING to earn their privilege, even if it is only to win an election.. whereas the RF have not. And since Harry's father is immensely wealthy, he should shoulder some of the security costs IMO or tell Harry to stay home..
Old 04-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

How do we know Harry doesn't pay some of the bills himself, anyway?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt if he's going to pay bills if his father is largely supporting him..
Old 04-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Nobility

Yay, this thread is open again!!!

Nice to see lots of activity in the Harry/Meghan front, and him making a trip to visit her. Meghan having to close the Tig was inevitable, IMO, but I'm surprised it happened this fast. That's one reason I like seeing Harry go to visit her for a change, so not all the effort and sacrifices (for the lack of a better word) are done by her. He seems willing and ready to meet half way, and do the legwork for their relationship too.

I'm making a prediction, that they'll get engaged by the end of this year, or very early in the next year.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I think you may well be correct!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I still don't see an engagement announcement until Suits ends.

The season finale seems to be start of March the last few years.

A mid March announcement and a wedding in the summer seems likely
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Rumor has it this is the last season of Suits ...even if not true, she doesn't have to keep working in the show if she wants to move on to other things.

LaRae
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Rumor has it this is the last season of Suits ...even if not true, she doesn't have to keep working in the show if she wants to move on to other things.

LaRae
Yes, that is why I said end of season, listing March as the season finale.

I don't think Harry and Meghan are immune to the fact that her tv show causes reservations for some. Having a public engagement when her show is still airing seems unlikely. They may get engaged earlier but I don't see an announcement prior to the season finale aired.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

Suits is usually filmed in 2 parts. Last year, the mid-season finale was in mid-September. Depending on if Meghan stays for the full season or not, she could be finished being seen on Suits in September 2017 or March 2018.
They haven't announced if the network has renewed the show for season 8 as yet.

Closed Thread