The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Nobility

It is interesting that she has seriously dialed back her social media posts. The main excuse is so she can focus on Suits and charity, however before PH she did suits, charity, promotion, travel and had a relationship along with being very social on IG and Twitter. This change benefits building a new possible life with PH. A career in Hollywood requires high promotion and visibility which MM seems to be shedding. All bets are off when she gives up her twitter handle and IG account.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

That's true, but Meghan doesn't really post very much on social media nowadays, does she?

Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
It is interesting that she has seriously dialed back her social media posts. The main excuse is so she can focus on Suits and charity, however before PH she did suits, charity, promotion, travel and had a relationship along with being very social on IG and Twitter. This change benefits building a new possible life with PH. A career in Hollywood requires high promotion and visibility which MM seems to be shedding. All bets are off when she gives up her twitter handle and IG account.
I agree.

Though honestly, I find the relationship a puzzle. Way too fast. But....

I like the theory that she has done this solely because of the tabloid stories using her text as the basis for stories. I could see where she might start to second-guess her writing. Not worth it imo. She can always re-emerge later.

I think what this indicates is Meghan is willing to adjust aspects of her life for a longer-term relationship with Harry, but I will be stunned (and will say so) if this pairing results in an engagement in 2017, let alone marriage in 2018.

But we'll see, not so? The story is in progress.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
. . . . . I have read before that Queen Elizabeth had awhile ago informed her adult grandchildren that they should take time and really get to know a prospective partner prior to plunging into marriage, even living together to make sure they are compatible because the Royal Family can not afford any more divorces. That's likely another reason why strictures are so relaxed about Meghan and Harry living together at Kensington Palace prior to becoming engaged.
Regardless of the social mores of the times we live in, there is absolutely no way I can see HM instructing her grandchildren to shack up with their intended fiance's and take marriage for a test drive.

That the Queen would wish them to give deep thought and even prayer, yes that I can believe, but to advocate living in sin? I sincerely doubt it and would, therefore, like to see the reference to HM advice.

That HM is aware that William and Catherine effectively lived together on and off since they met at St Andrews and that Harry's girlfriends have stayed overnight or a weekend, is a given. I am sure she is watching with interest since Meghan has stayed for weeks on end.

I am sure she prays for the best for all her grandchildren but to imagine she is pragmatic about morality is a push. One thing we have heard, from Sarah Ferguson no less, is that HM is one of the kindest and most forgiving people she knows.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see Harry living with Meghan (officially) and I can't imagine the Queen advising such either.

If they are still an item come fall...I wouldn't be surprised at an engagement this winter or early next year with a wedding 3 to 6 months later.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2017, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do remember reading some years ago now that the Queen had said she wouldn't give consent to a relationship that hadn't been going for at least 5 years and since the disasters of Margaret, Anne, Charles and Andrew's marriages that has been about the minimum period her married grandchildren were in relationships before being given consent.

If true and she sticks with that then Meaghen will be 39 when she gets The Queen's consent. If Harry insists on marrying her without consent then he gives up his place in the line of succession and that of his children, which maybe he wants to do anyway - who knows.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I just don't see that the Queen said that either. I've never heard it confirmed.

LaRae
Old 04-08-2017, 11:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do remember reading some years ago now that the Queen had said she wouldn't give consent to a relationship that hadn't been going for at least 5 years and since the disasters of Margaret, Anne, Charles and Andrew's marriages that has been about the minimum period her married grandchildren were in relationships before being given consent.

If true and she sticks with that then Meaghen will be 39 when she gets The Queen's consent. If Harry insists on marrying her without consent then he gives up his place in the line of succession and that of his children, which maybe he wants to do anyway - who knows.
If that sort of guideline was said - I would consider the context of having young grandchildren in their 20s and an attempt to curtail an impetuous marriage. I think those sort of guidelines tend to be relaxed and not as relevant when one is in their 30s.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't see Harry living with Meghan (officially) and I can't imagine the Queen advising such either.

If they are still an item come fall...I wouldn't be surprised at an engagement this winter or early next year with a wedding 3 to 6 months later.

LaRae
They can live together if they want. The family is okay with stuff like that. Many members of the family have lived together before marriage. The Queen is okay with it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
If that sort of guideline was said - I would consider the context of having young grandchildren in their 20s and an attempt to curtail an impetuous marriage. I think those sort of guidelines tend to be relaxed and not as relevant when one is in their 30s.

Charles was Harry's age when he married Diana. Not in his 20s.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles may have been but Diana was barely an adult

Age and maturity play a huge role. If she did say 5 years, she was looking at her grandchildren in their twenties. She didn't want then when just out of school, rushing into marriage. Yes some young marriages work great. But she had reason to be cautious. When you finish university or military training you may have been an adult for several years but it us still different. Even for a royal with a trust fund. There us work, charities, adult decisions of all kinds. And more media attention. It's likely the very reason she hasn't pushed her granddaughters, now Eugenie. It's not just about length of dating but stage you are in with your own life.

Edward and Sophie didn't just succeed because of length. They were older, both of them, and more mature. They knew who and where they were in life. It's also the reason both Anne (married almost 25 years) and Charles (almost 12) have had much more succesful second marriages,

Harry and Meghan may not have dated long. But at their age and stage in life, long dating isn't always needed. They both know who they are and what they are looking for in life.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
It was said, I believe, before Edward married or Charles' second marriage so it wasn't only applied to those in their 20s but those in their 30s and even older.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Charles may have been but Diana was barely an adult

Age and maturity play a huge role. If she did say 5 years, she was looking at her grandchildren in their twenties. She didn't want then when just out of school, rushing into marriage. Yes some young marriages work great. But she had reason to be cautious. When you finish university or military training you may have been an adult for several years but it us still different. Even for a royal with a trust fund. There us work, charities, adult decisions of all kinds. And more media attention. It's likely the very reason she hasn't pushed her granddaughters, now Eugenie. It's not just about length of dating but stage you are in with your own life.

Edward and Sophie didn't just succeed because of length. They were older, both of them, and more mature. They knew who and where they were in life. It's also the reason both Anne (married almost 25 years) and Charles (almost 12) have had much more succesful second marriages,

Harry and Meghan may not have dated long. But at their age and stage in life, long dating isn't always needed. They both know who they are and what they are looking for in life.
Yes, but Charles-Camilla and Anne-Tim also had long courtships. If Anne had just met Tim in '91 I don't think HM would have signed off on a '92 engagement, even though Anne was in her forties and thus "older".

That being said I don't believe there is a five-year rule. Peter and Autumn started dating in summer '03 and they got engaged summer '07, so 4 years there, not 5. If Harry and Meghan do marry I personally wouldn't expect it before 2019.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:20 AM
Majesty

GIRL ABOUT TOWN: Africa's calling for Meghan Markle | Daily Mail Online

"Africa's calling for Harry's girl as he and Megan Markle plan trip that will take in his charity projects"
Old 04-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

With regard to there being a possible "guideline" on length of courtship, I'm not sure this is true - or at least any more so than in other families. Of-course if Harry had a whirlwind romance and said he wanted to pop the question within a month, his family would surely advice him to wait like anyone else's would.

We have to be mindful of the practicalities of Harry and Meghan's relationship as it currently is - the commitments they both have, where they each live etc etc and that's on top of how the relationship itself is actually developing and what they think their future plans together might look like.

Still, nothing these days surprises me - I hope we can be patient to see how things develop!
Old 04-09-2017, 03:40 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine that HM is astute enough to take the differences in this relationship into account. She would know of Meghan's involvement in her charity work. She would know that it is a long standing relationship that has survived long distances and the necessity of being apart. She also knows very well that sometimes you know right away that another person is the one that is to be your partner in life.

The kicker is that Harry and Meghan aren't just "dating" as in nights out at the club and dinners and sporting events with constant access to each other. This is a couple that have been able to maintain a good relationship without it infringing on their responsibilities and their commitments. If these two do decide that they want to continue on through life together, it will be a well thought out and mature decision. I don't think the Queen would have a problem with that at all and wish them happiness and give her blessing.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I would imagine that HM is astute enough to take the differences in this relationship into account. She would know of Meghan's involvement in her charity work.
What does her charity work have to do with anything? Her charity work didn't stop her relationship with Cory from crumbling. Harry's charity work didn't stop his relationships with Chelsy and Cressida from ending. I see no correlation there.

Quote:
She would know that it is a long standing relationship that has survived long distances and the necessity of being apart.
If anything the long distance factor would inspire more caution. Everything is fun and exciting, and people are on their best behavior when they only see each other in doses. It's the monotony of being together every single day that can wear a relationship thin.

Quote:
She also knows very well that sometimes you know right away that another person is the one that is to be your partner in life.
If they know right away, then they'll still know if they date a couple of years. No need to jump head first and hope for the best. Allow romance and pragmatism to walk hand in hand.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Majesty

To be honest I think the success or failure of a marriage lies absolutely with those who have entered into it in good faith. Expecting an 18-year-old to have a 12-18 month engagement seems sensible but demanding the same of people in their 30's seems totally unreasonable.

The marriages with the most against them often stand the test of time whereas those with every advantage do not. I think we have to accept that in marriage, as in life, there are no guarantees. Every individual is unique and so to every marriage so who wins and who loses is strictly down to those who put in the hard yards because "The Wedding" is just the beginning of the marriage.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
What does her charity work have to do with anything? Her charity work didn't stop her relationship with Cory from crumbling. Harry's charity work didn't stop his relationships with Chelsy and Cressida from ending. I see no correlation there.
I would imagine that seeing and knowing how involved Meghan is with her charity work would signify that this is a woman that would fit very nicely into the world of royal charitable works and royal engagements.

Quote:
If anything the long distance factor would inspire more caution. Everything is fun and exciting, and people are on their best behavior when they only see each other in doses. It's the monotony of being together every single day that can wear a relationship thin.
It also shows that both parties are mature enough to not let their time apart deter them from their responsibilities and commitments. Its very easy to fall "in love" and throw everything to the wind to be together. Neither Harry or Meghan has done this. They are taking baby steps if Meghan's closing TheTig is any indication. She's not asking to be written out of Suits or walking away from her contract.

Quote:
If they know right away, then they'll still know if they date a couple of years. No need to jump head first and hope for the best. Allow romance and pragmatism to walk hand in hand.
I was alluding to a certain 13 year old girl that set eyes on her man and that was it. He was the end all and be all of what she wanted. I'm not saying that Harry and Meghan are throwing all caution to the wind. I think they're both being very romantic and pragmatic to be honest.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
William and Kate lived together for quite a while in Wales before they announced their engagement. While yes, it wasn't in royal apartments, it was still together!

Sophie, while she didn't, as far as I know move in, did stay over with Edward on a regular basis (back in the last centuary! )

They are not youngsters to be guided into adulthood, nor is he heir to the throne. I think Harry and Meghan will do what Harry and Meghan want! After all, we know she has stayed in Harry's KP pad already, so what's new?