The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Actually, I think gender equality is exactly the type of topic that the royals should promote. Just like Camilla's work with victims of rape and the Cambridges' and Harry's work regarding mental health. Diana, in her day, championed AIDS patients when it's taboo to touch them without gloves.
Also Harry getting two HIV tests and involving Rhianna who is a strong sex positive celebrity. I mean how wonderful to have two controversial people get REAL about sex an HIV. How can MM be anymore controversial than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yep I agree Osipi. If her dream/desire is to be able to spend her life working on behalf of others can't imagine a better platform than to be Harry's wife. Funding and opportunity and a guarantee the press will pay attention. Bonus a partner you love doing the same and since Harry isn't likely to be more than he is now (except another title after he marries) then perhaps even more freedom to do things than William/Kate will have.

LaRae
With all its drawbacks a confident, self assured person could make something out of helping others and championing causes, add to that some nice frocks and being with the red headed man of your dreams with future little redheads its not a bad life.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
***HOLD THE PRESSES***

Before things go any further, I've just had a scathingly, brilliant idea of how we can address any future children these two people may have. I'm going to suggest we call them (drumroll) Ginger Snaps!

We now return you to normal, sane and intelligent postings about the relationships.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
what is feminist rhetoric? Camilla deals with hotbead topics like rape kits, battery and other women's issues? Meghan has dealt with the similar topics hardly feminist rhetoric at all.
Save
Well centering women's issues *is* an act of feminism and there isn't necessarily anything overtly political about that, definitely not something I see as a negative. The people who criticize Meghan or think she's too loud see it that way though and that's my point. They don't think she should be writing articles or speaking out on any issues and dislike the fact that she's praised/identifies as feminist. This is not a good thing, apparently.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Majesty

There are feminists and then there are feminists ...sometimes they all get lumped together.

I'm not a feminist however I agree with some of what Meghan has had to say and admire her support of at least some of her causes.

I would take issue with a couple others (of her viewpoints). However she's entitled to her views. I don't think any of her views (that I know about) somehow make her unsuitable to be Harry's wife.

LaRae
Old 03-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Yes, let's have the Duchess of Sussex campaign for gender equality around the world. Let's see how well some countries in the Middle East respond to a foreigner telling them how to run their country. Don't forget the U.K. needs the oil, access to their military bases and money to be invested in UK businesses. I'm sure the Saudis will welcome her with open arms.
They will probably give her a few nice jewels too😉

Meghan's stance as The Duchess of Sussex on gender equality will be no different than CP Mary speaking out internationally on violence against women or Queen Máxima speaking out and encouraging countries to implement programs help female business owners.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It's not 'muzzling', it's just the reality of what Meghan would be marrying into.

She can say what she wants as a civilian but the fact is, she will have no political views or anything that can be construed as political as a member of the BRF

I wonder that at 35 if she could happily change her life as much as will be required.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I wonder that at 35 if she could happily change her life as much as will be required.
Wasn't CP Mary about the same age when she married?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

She didn't have a profile like Meghan as we have just said about her strong views etc
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If she didn't think she could, I doubt she would still be dating Harry. It's really that simple, IMO especially for a woman who seems to know what she wants.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
she was 32, and the other CPs were almost the same age, +/-

Meghan is not even engaged, so with 36 in August you need to take a decision soon if you want a bunch of kids.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
she was 32, and the other CPs were almost the same age, +/-

Meghan is not even engaged, so with 36 in August you need to take a decision soon if you want a bunch of kids.
I honestly don't think a few years makes that much of a difference in terms of giving up life and career as you know it once you are at that age. They are all adults, they know what they are doing.

Quote:
She didn't have a profile like Meghan as we have just said about her strong views etc
Oh for goodness sake, I'm sure Meghan can still bring awareness for how menstruation is stopping women in poverty from going to school as Duchess of Sussex if she wants to without it coming off as political. I thought the problem in the past has been we don't know if the royals actually genuinely care about the issues they get involved with tor if it's just something they are thrown into. Now we have a woman we know cares even before she's had this platform. And some are trying to make that a problem?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh for goodness sake, I'm sure Meghan can still bring awareness for how menstruation is stopping women in poverty from going to school as Duchess of Sussex if she wants to without it coming off as political. I thought the problem in the past has been we don't know if the royals actually genuinely care about the issues they get involved with tor if it's just something they are thrown into. Now we have a woman we know cares even before she's had this platform. And some are trying to make that a problem?

It will be a different life in so many ways. But I agree if she wants it good for her let's see how it plays out over the next few years
Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Yes, let's have the Duchess of Sussex campaign for gender equality around the world. Let's see how well some countries in the Middle East respond to a foreigner telling them how to run their country. Don't forget the U.K. needs the oil, access to their military bases and money to be invested in UK businesses. I'm sure the Saudis will welcome her with open arms.

Exactly !!!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe Charles has gently raised some human rights issues over the years with Saudi leaders he has met. He's also been vocal about religious persecution in the Middle East.

Meghan is an adult who will be going into a marriage with a senior royal with her eyes open. I think even now she will have gathered from Harry (and others perhaps) that royals must not speak out about politics, whatever their private views. By the time Meghan is a member of the BRF those lessons will have been learned.

As others have pointed out, since December she's hardly been posting on social media or even the Tig, and hasn't spoken about Harry to anyone even fellow cast members, so I think she knows the value of discretion.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

Quote:

Agreed. Human rights for girls and women is an important issue and certainly an appropriate one for her to champion should she become a member of the royal family
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Nobility

So the Daily Star published an "exclusive" on what Meghan and Harry's children would look like. Amazing!

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: What couple’s children would look like | Daily Star

Genetics is so unpredictable as is. Add in Meghan's mixed ancestry and it's anyone's guess as to what their children would look like. This article was useful though. I needed a good laugh.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that Harry was aggressively wooing her after they met in June (he was 'persistent'). He is smitten. If he indeed wins her, if he indeed shows her that he has matured and has a leash on his temper, and is a 'good bet' in the long haul, then Harry must advocate for her the way William advocated for Kate and her family.

With Meghan's background, advocating for change at the age of 11 (and getting results!), let no man, nor institution (however historic and compelling) get her to 'heel' (how did someone put it? not 'run her mouth'?). I will be very disappointed in Meghan if she allows herself to conform in that way.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that Harry was aggressively wooing her after they met in June (he was 'persistent'). He is smitten. If he indeed wins her, if he indeed shows her that he has matured and has a leash on his temper, and is a 'good bet' in the long haul, then Harry must advocate for her the way William advocated for Kate and her family.

With Meghan's background, advocating for change at the age of 11 (and getting results!), let no man, nor institution (however historic and compelling) get her to 'heel' (how did someone put it? not 'run her mouth'?). I will be very disappointed in Meghan if she allows herself to conform in that way.

I don't think she'd need to conform much- she'd have a much bigger platform to work from, and most of her causes fit squarely into how the royal family operates. No one would bat an idea at one of the royals championing women's entrepreneurship in the U.K., or working at supporting domestic violence survivors, or girls' education and empowerment. Supplying girls internationally with feminine hygiene products would be an easy one to take on as well- as well as hugely important in normalizing that conversation.

If the relationship heads in that direction, I will be fascinated to see how Meghan adapts her platform.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Lol, do anyone here know anything about Harry, his father and some other members of the royal family? Meghan being an actress and having some outspoken views is no threat to the House of Windsor.
From what we have seen, Meghan seems a fairly level headed woman, noting that she wears a hat and covers up in the sun, is essential for anyone with common sense but especially for someone who makes her living on the TV.

A self-confessed "Feminist", Meghan's site 'the Tig' is interesting but innocuous and her work for World Vision Canada and as an Advocate for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women while inspirational, is certainly not controversial. It is to her credit that she can advocate before such an august audience with such charm, eloquence and grace.

I don't believe there have been so many avowed feminists since the days of Germain Greer's 'the female enuch', which I think is a good thing. The days of feminists being called rabid, stupid, ill-educated and ill-bred are unfortunately still not over.

For those who worry that an active feminist has no place in the BRF I offer the Merriam Webster definition of feminism:

1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests
Old 03-16-2017, 04:32 AM
Nobility

Indeed! And the work Meghan is doing for UN Women is to empower women and girls everywhere through advocacy, charitable work projects and shining a spotlight on important social issues that affect females, and thereby affect all of humanity. Being a feminist and believing in feminism should not be viewed as being against men.

Meghan directly addressed this topic with eloquence and grace during an interview she had with Larry King circa February 2016, which mainly is about her work with UN Women. Toward the end of the interview, Larry asks Meghan direct questions about feminism and about how her not being an 'ordinary' woman affects her activism. Scroll to 10:40 to hear Meghan graciously and articulately straighten Larry out:

Meghan: "... No matter what you look like, you should be taken seriously ... I think it's great to be able to be a feminist and be feminine, to embrace both ... I don't think there's anything negative about being a feminist."

In the below clip at a UN Women conference, Meghan introduces a Eritrean young lady who escaped from slavery and now works to help other female victims of bondage and abuse:

Let's not forget that Meghan Markle holds a degree in international relations (with a double major in theater) from Northwestern University. She is no one's second fiddle and I personally see no reason to misjudge her as a lightweight with ulterior motives. Her advocacy on behalf of women, and her outspokenness in general on the issue of human rights is authentic IMHO.