The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What American hysteria? I doubt more than 1 percent of Americans even know Prince Harry is dating her (or even know who she is).

LaRae
Completely agree. I was making conversation in the lunchroom a few weeks ago and asked my co-workers what they thought of Prince Harry's new girlfriend. No one knew who Meghan Markle was and a few of people even needed their memories jogged at the mention of Prince Harry. They just didn't care.

There is very little interest in the BRF here in the US, and the only "hysteria" is on Royal forums and Twitter.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Aristocracy

Meghan did humanitarian work long before she met Harry,I think say that she wants to promote herself is Wickedness. Some people hate her because they wanted Harry to marry a rich English girl, even if it's boring and empty-headed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
My experience on social media is that a majority of Meghan's supporters are Americans or purport to be Americans and are in love with Meghan's 'story' and background.

I'm just saying, the American princess theme doesn't seem to be taking hold, in fact, I think there will be a huge Meghan backlash in the tabloid press.

I never wanted to be American, especially now with the president they have
I like MM because I find her an interesting woman with content, unlike Harry's ex girlfriends

Old 03-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Completely agree. I was making conversation in the lunchroom a few weeks ago and asked my co-workers what they thought of Prince Harry's new girlfriend. No one knew who Meghan Markle was and a few of people even needed their memories jogged at the mention of Prince Harry. They just didn't care.

There is very little interest in the BRF here in the US, and the only "hysteria" is on Royal forums and Twitter.

I don't even know anyone with the level of interest I have...my closest friends...one of them is vaguely aware of the BRF, they know who some of the key people are but past that...nada.

I'm on a Catholic board (other Faiths are present also) and very few of them even pay any attention to the Catholic monarchies let alone the Protestant ones. At least 1/4 of the group is European ...and even they could care less about any royals. They might know specifically about their own country..but have no real interest. If you post a thread about a big event (William marrying) you might have 2 or 3 people comment.

I wasn't even aware of Meghan (never heard of her) till she became news due to Harry. I don't even know anyone who watches Suits!

LaRae
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Exactly Pranter, same here. None of my friends care much about Royalty and only one or two are dedicated history buffs like me. As a child I was teased and called "weirdo" even by family members because I was reading biographies of Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII.

The only place I can find others who share my interest is on the Internet, so here I am.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought I'd posted my rejoinder to the claim about Americans but looks like not. I agree, I only found out about Meghan by coming onto TRF and seeing the posts. Took me by surprise. I do think I've seen one tabloid cover, though, since. Also, no 'Suits' watchers here, either. So it is.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Exactly Pranter, same here. None of my friends care much about Royalty and only one or two are dedicated history buffs like me. As a child I was teased and called "weirdo" even by family members because I was reading biographies of Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII.

The only place I can find others who share my interest is on the Internet, so here I am.
I started reading adult books by 10 or 12 ...avid reader so I'd cycle down to the local library (small town USA) and they actually called my parents at some point because I was checking out adult books and they decided they better make sure it was okay.

I wasn't much into biographies then unless they were told in story format. I read almost everything except sci-fi.

LaRae
Old 03-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Nobility

I have been a Suits watcher from the beginning so I knew who Meghan was. And I'm sure there are some Americans who are suddenly interested in Harry's love life because he is dating someone who is American, biracial, an actress, etc. Heck, more people in general are probably interested because Meghan is so different than the women he's dated before. I certainly wouldn't say there is any "hysteria" though. The majority of people, regardless of where they live, simply do not care about the romantic lives of royals or celebrities.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Commoner

I agree, there's no hysteria now, but there is a curiosity. If they get engaged, that curiosity on the American side will at least quadruple though.

Meghan is unlike any woman a bachelor royal from the British Royal Family has ever dated, let alone socialize publicly with, so there is a fresh and honest interest in this fresh girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I have been a Suits watcher from the beginning so I knew who Meghan was. And I'm sure there are some Americans who are suddenly interested in Harry's love life because he is dating someone who is American, biracial, an actress, etc. Heck, more people in general are probably interested because Meghan is so different than the women he's dated before. I certainly wouldn't say there is any "hysteria" though. The majority of people, regardless of where they live, simply do not care about the romantic lives of royals or celebrities.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I never heard of Meghan or Suits until it was announced on the news and Harry was dating her and that she's biracial. I am not a fan of Markle and I have never watched "Suits" and don't intend to start.

My interest in this is that she is American and biracial and I support it because so many are against it.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldreams View Post
I agree, there's no hysteria now, but there is a curiosity. If they get engaged, that curiosity on the American side will at least quadruple though.

Meghan is unlike any woman a bachelor royal from the British Royal Family has ever dated, let alone socialize publicly with, so there is a fresh and honest interest in this fresh girl.
I don't think it will ever reach hysteria levels but yes, if there's an engagement, they will definitely attract even more interest and curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I never heard of Meghan or Suits until it was announced on the news and Harry was dating her and that she's biracial. I am not a fan of Markle and I have never watched "Suit" and don't intend to start.

My interest in this is that she is American and biracial and I support it because so many are against it.
I suspect there are others who share this sentiment. :)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Courtier

I have to agree there's no hysteria over H&M here in California that I've noticed.
By way of example I was at an ornament exchange for the office w/ about 15 female lawyers, many of them young and just starting their careers (Harry's demographic) and I asked what everyone thought of Prince Harry's new relationship. Most hadn't heard of it, a few didn't know who Prince Harry was, most didn't watch Suits (and realize it's a legal drama and we were a bunch of lawyers) one didn't know Markle by name, but knew her by her character's name - Rachel - and exclaimed in surprise "Rachel's dating Prince Harry?" as if it were a step down for her to do so.
Regarding humanitarian work, I've volunteered for a non profit which represents a cause near and dear to my heart for 10 years now (and before that for another for 5 yr.s) & I don't consider myself a humanitarian, it's something about which I believe strongly thus I donate what time I can to it. I can't speak for celebrities or politicians who affiliate themselves w/ various causes/charities although those who just show up at the flashy events don't impress me, but I expect some do what they do out of the same motivation that drives me, others do so because it furthers their career or image. Personally if they pay their way, then I tend to believe they are genuine, if they expect the charity to pick up the tab I'm inclined to believe it's about self promotion. That's my personal litmus test, fair or not.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've known about the program Suits and actually have watched a few episodes when it first started but it fell to the wayside because of other programs that capture my interests on a Wednesday night. I had no clue who Meghan Markle was until folks started talking about here in this thread.

Any royal wedding with all its pomp and circumstance and pageantry is going to capture the attention of people worldwide and Harry's will be no different. I don't see Meghan being as all that much different from Kate and in fact, if Meghan is Harry's choice, I think both William and Harry will have found the right kind of girl for them. Intelligent, caring, comfortable in their own skins and supportive would be the key words that I would use to describe the women in their lives.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Majesty

I don't know what the big deal is about, to be honest. The article was great and I personally don't care if Meghan wrote it for self-promotion grounds. Royals often support causes or charities they might not be very passionate about.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Nobility

There is no hysteria. The people who follow the story closely at this point are on social media such as tumblr or the Daily Mail posters. They seem to know every move that she makes and speculate endlessly about her. The general public is rather relaxed about this story.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure which is worse... the whole page on complaining about celebrities doing humanitarian work, or the whole page on the denial of any American hysteria regarding the relationship...

Any chance this thread is going to get back to actual discussion of the relationship?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Not sure which is worse... the whole page on complaining about celebrities doing humanitarian work, or the whole page on the denial of any American hysteria regarding the relationship...

Any chance this thread is going to get back to actual discussion of the relationship?
Clearly there is little to discuss so that no news is good news (depending whether you have the patience to scroll through various and sundry complaints and denials)! Here's hoping HRH has found his lady...cheers
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Now that's just silly. (For those who don't want to click- their reasoning is that Meghan's birthday is that day)
Thank you for sharing what it was about as I'm not fond of clicking links for Daily Mail. So it's yet another nonsense article by DM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

http://m.independent.ie/style/celebr...-35515550.html

Cute story if true.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

Well you could always lead the charge.

Fact is, there isn't much to discuss about the relationship itself and probably even less so when Meghan goes back to work next month. I do wonder how they'll approach things once she does start filming. Will they attend any events together or wait until she has another break in the summer? Should be interesting to see.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Majesty

Do we know her filming schedule?

I wasn't too sure about Meghan at first but I have come to like her more during this time we've gotten to know more about her (and her involvement in charitable causes). Her conduct has been excellent so far too.

LaRae