The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
That view is a large part of why she's not likely to continue working post engagement; there is a perception of Royals as living off of taxpayer money, and for a member of the RF to also have a high paying job as a successful actress is going to look bad. However inaccurate the perception is, people will be questioning why their taxes are paying for the lifestyle of a woman who is making millions on TV.

That's not to say that Meghan is making millions off of Suits (I have no idea what she makes per episode) or that she would be living off of taxpayer money as Harry's wife. But the perception would easily be there.

I think this would be worse if she continued to work out of Toronto too. In that case, there actually would be an added cost to taxpayers because of the different security measures; the RPOs are paid through the Metropolitan Police Service. I'm not sure where the funds for general security at BP, KP, etc come from, but I'm going to make a guess that there is always a degree of security at the various royal palaces and residences regardless of who is living there, and that the security is just enhanced depending on who is living there. I'm also going to make a guess that it's less expensive to do security for 4 royals living at KP than it is to do security for 2 royals living at KP and 2 royals living somewhere else.

Living in Toronto makes it harder. The RPOs will likely still be paid for by the Met (and probably extra at that, because of the travel), but there will also be an RCMP detail and security at the Toronto residence. All so that Meghan can continue a career where she's making good money, judging by her handbags.
Regarding your last sentenece, before the relationship is published, she had only one expensive bag, beige one, at least according to her IG now several... freebies maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I have read that Meghan gets $75,000 for every episode of Suits in which she appears. I've also read that THe Tig earns her $100,000 a year in cash and kind. Does that sound about right?
I think it is 25.000 but not sure 🤔

No work for her after marriage to Harry, if they do it, she will be required to do charities in England. No Tig because, this is my area, she will be paid in money or in kind which shall be considered as a gift, people would line up to be promoted... so she will be obliged to terminate all business contacts ... just charities....

Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Meghan isn't stupid. I would think that if they are serious about each other and have had conversations about marriage, then Harry will have told her what is permitted for a member of the BRF and and what isn't. She is a mature adult and if there is a marriage she'll be going into it with her eyes open and not hoping to continue to act or put anything like the Tig online.

I first heard of the $75,OOO an episode from a person who works in the industry and knows the going rate for these shows and read it again later from another person who knew some of the TV execs, so I'd guess it's about right.

We don't know what Meghan's shopping habits are. However, on her salary, which is far greater than the average Canadian's yearly earnings, I would think she'd be able to afford a few handbags for herself occasionally, without freebies being necessarily involved.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You sure about that?

American citizens who work in Canada either with production companies or as athletes are required to pay taxes in Canada if they make more than $15,000 annually in Canada or spend I believe more than half a year residing in Canada. Depending on how they have their income set up, what tax bracket they're in, and what province they're in, this can range from about 20% to 50% of their income in Canada.

American citizens are also required to file taxes in the US, regardless of whether or not they actually reside in the US. They can get tax credits for whatever taxes they end up paying outside of the US, but they still have to file and if the IRS decides they haven't paid enough taxes they have to pay taxes.

Meghan is going to have to pay taxes in Canada on any income for Suits and Reitmans, as she's working in Canada for that. She might not have to pay Canadian taxes for Tig, depending on how she has that set up. But she's also going to have to file taxes for the US, and potentially have to pay more if her tax credits don't cover all of what she owes. Which is possible; if she's making 1.3 million annually she's in the high end of the tax bracket for the US. Depending on how she has her Canadian income set up, she could be paying as low as 23% taxes in Canada, but in the US she'd be expected to pay 39%. She'd very likely have to pay the difference to the IRS.
I'm sure as I'm a CPA. The concept of tax treaty is so they are not double taxed. They will pay whichever is higher. And btw, the 23% in Canada isn't the same as the percentage you are thinking in US. The 23% in Canada is on gross income. The tax brackets in US are based on net income. As a self employed individual (she gets a 1099, not W-2 from the studio), she'd be able to deduct her "business" related expenses first. She'd be able to deduct management fees, public relations fees, some travel like any other self employed person. In addition, she'd also get foreign earned income exclusion as long as she lives broad for 300 days or more per year, which seems to be the case as she primarily lives in Canada and travels abroad quite a bit when not working. She's also not taxed on the entire net income at 39%. She'd be able to get the lower brackets as well, only any income over 415k in 2017.

Assuming she makes 75k per episode, and Suits filmed 16 episodes last year. Her gross income would $1.2, and Canadian tax liability would be $276k. Doing the calculation for US income, that amount of tax satisfies $859,200 of net income. When you deduct 10% for management fee (she's mentioned that's how much her management takes when she first signed, could be higher now, but not sure), and deduct another 10% for public relation fees and other professional fees. Plus deducting the $100,800 foreign earn income exemption. The net income is already at $859,200. Plus she'd get foreign housing exclusions and any travel related to her work as an actress would also be deductible. There are just so much eligible deductions under the US code that the Canadian tax likely covers her US tax liability. I just geeked out. Mods please feel free to delete if you feel tax talk isn't related to Harry's love life. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
As long as Meghan's permanent residence is in Canada, she is only required to pay Canadian income tax. She does have to file in the US but under NAFTA, as long as she properly files, she doesn't pay extra. My brother in law and his twin are dual citizens. He doesn't own any property or reside in the US, never has, but still required to file every year. He doesn't pay extra taxes. His brother now lives there, but works in both countries, so his taxes harder.

But basically as long as her home is maintained in Toronto while working here, and she files every year, she only has to pay the Canadian taxes.
Technically if you don't owe taxes, you aren't required to file. However, it's a nice way to cover your behind. Also, if you file, you start running the clock on Statute of Limitation for the IRS to audit you. If you don't file, that clock doesn't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
Regarding your last sentenece, before the relationship is published, she had only one expensive bag, beige one, at least according to her IG now several... freebies maybe?

I think it is 25.000 but not sure ��

No work for her after marriage to Harry, if they do it, she will be required to do charities in England. No Tig because, this is my area, she will be paid in money or in kind which shall be considered as a gift, people would line up to be promoted... so she will be obliged to terminate all business contacts ... just charities....
I've definitely seen Meghan with multiple designer bags prior to the announcement of the relationship. For a woman who is willing to splurge almost a thousand dollars for each pair shoes from Sarah Flint, I have no doubt that she'd spend a few thousand for a handbag that fancies her. And Sarah Flint has said that Meghan has been a fan for years. And also, the 25k going rate seems low. The starting would be 50k for a show that's picked up. For the more established shows, it's typically higher.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Nobility

The Queen Has to Approve Prince Harry Proposing to Meghan Markle
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
There are just so much eligible deductions under the US code that the Canadian tax likely covers her US tax liability. I just geeked out. Mods please feel free to delete if you feel tax talk isn't related to Harry's love life. lol

I snipped this just because I didn't want to quote the whole thing... but thank you for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberG View Post

I think it is 25.000 but not sure

Re: the bags. I have no clue, that was a bit of a throwaway comment based on commentary people have made about her fashion. I don't to attention to bags.

Re: 25K. Is that for Tig or the show? I highly doubt she's only making 25K an episode for Suits; she's one of the female leads and it's going into its 7th season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post

People.com just figured out what the rest of us have been saying for months....
Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
People.com just figured out what the rest of us have been saying for months....

I read the same thing or something along those lines a while ago but I posted it because it may appear that Harry and Meghan are in the planning stages toward getting the Queen's approval etc.

But it would take all the fun out of if she already knows she will be proposed to. He has to catch her totally off guard and unsuspecting.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No one knows what is going on in the relationship. I think they just published that article about the Queen's approval because they can't dig anything up.

When a relationship gets to a certain point, the people in it know which way they want it to go and start making plans and discussing pertinent subjects. The actual marriage proposal as a "surprise" usually isn't one for couples that have made plans already. One for sure way we'd really have a clue that wedding bells are about to ring is if someone spots Harry meeting with Meghan's father.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, American Observer. In the middle of a nice meal at some country pub for preference, near a log fire. Too much bad weather for a proposal outdoors in the weather Britain's having at the moment!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The actual approval by the Queen is basically a rubber stamp. Harry can just ask his grandmother on the phone if he wanted. The official approval for William and Kate and Zara and Mike were done after the engagements were announced. The Queen has never not approved a marriage request and if she was going to I am sure the royal would know well beforehand.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The actual approval by the Queen is basically a rubber stamp. Harry can just ask his grandmother on the phone if he wanted. The official approval for William and Kate and Zara and Mike were done after the engagements were announced. The Queen has never not approved a marriage request and if she was going to I am sure the royal would know well beforehand.
The family had known about the impending news on William and Catherine's engagement for several weeks.

I just think people have to give Harry and Meghan some time. William wanted to take some lessons from the past and allow Catherine to get used to the idea of being a senior royal and all the pressures that goes along with it.

Why is everyone thinking Harry won't give Meghan some time to adjust? I'm not talking about 9 years, but at least a couple or until they fully emerge in public as a couple. They haven't done that yet.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The family had known about the impending news on William and Catherine's engagement for several weeks.

I just think people have to give Harry and Meghan some time. William wanted to take some lessons from the past and allow Catherine to get used to the idea of being a senior royal and all the pressures that goes along with it.

Why is everyone thinking Harry won't give Meghan some time to adjust? I'm not talking about 9 years, but at least a couple or until they fully emerge in public as a couple. They haven't done that yet.

And what if Harry doesn't want to wait a couple years? What then? Has anyone ever thought about that possibility?

Secondly, Meghan is more at an advantage than Kate was. She is already a celebrity in her own right and a successful career woman.

Again, I revert back to my question in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
No one knows what is going on in the relationship. I think they just published that article about the Queen's approval because they can't dig anything up.

When a relationship gets to a certain point, the people in it know which way they want it to go and start making plans and discussing pertinent subjects. The actual marriage proposal as a "surprise" usually isn't one for couples that have made plans already. One for sure way we'd really have a clue that wedding bells are about to ring is if someone spots Harry meeting with Meghan's father.
I agree. BUT......

We are never going to get confirmation on this kind of stuff. We don't know them and they don't us and we don't know people that know them. These article are all that we have to base insight, and opinions on.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Commoner

Prince Harry will not wait a couple more years. I believe Meghan will be his princess very soon. She's 35, will be 36 in August. If they were to get married in say, May 2018, that would give her another year or two at most to have a baby 'soon'.

Also, the Queen is getting up there in the years, and I'm sure Harry wants his grandmother to be part of the festivities and to meet any future child he has.

The time is now, this relationship is the real deal for him.

Quote:
And what if Harry doesn't want to wait a couple years? What then? Has anyone ever thought about that possibility?

Secondly, Meghan is more at an advantage than Kate was. She is already a celebrity in her own right and a successful career woman.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Majesty

The soonest I could imagine a wedding would be late Fall/Winter this year...but I don't think it's likely ....engagement during late fall/winter yes. Married next Spring or early Summer.

LaRae
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

Being a successful career woman is not a requirement to be a successful royal spouse. That career is going to have to abandoned anyways after marriage. It's more important to build a solid foundation and partnership with your Royal. Fully understand the limitations and scrutiny that a royal life will entail. Meghan and Harry haven't even spent six months being in the same country together.

We have seen this honeymoon phases before with Chesly and Cressida. People were speculating on engagements with them too.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Being a successful career woman is not a requirement to be a successful royal spouse. That career is going to have to abandoned anyways after marriage. It's more important to build a solid foundation and partnership with your Royal. Fully understand the limitations and scrutiny that a royal life will entail. Meghan and Harry haven't even spent six months being in the same country together.

We have seen this honeymoon phases before with Chesly and Cressida. People were speculating on engagements with them too.
You are rationalizing.

The point here is and what matters is Prince Harry. Many of posts here read as though some think Harry is going to actually get on this forum, read this stuff and do what YOU ALL feel is the right thing to do for him.

Harry is not going to wait 2 years! If it happens and if this is what he wants, it will happen quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldreams View Post
Prince Harry will not wait a couple more years. I believe Meghan will be his princess very soon. She's 35, will be 36 in August. If they were to get married in say, May 2018, that would give her another year or two at most to have a baby 'soon'.

Also, the Queen is getting up there in the years, and I'm sure Harry wants his grandmother to be part of the festivities and to meet any future child he has.

The time is now, this relationship is the real deal for him.

My thoughts exactly!! Bingo!!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You are rationalizing.

The point here is and what matters is Prince Harry. Many of posts here read as though some think Harry is going to actually get on this forum, read this stuff and do what YOU ALL feel is the right thing to do for him.

Harry is not going to wait 2 years! If it happens and if this is what he wants, it will happen quickly.
And you are romanticizing.

Royal marriages are rational. Even William and Kate. Of course love is important, but it's also important to understand what you are getting into in the day to day stuff. Marrying into the royal family isn't your everyday ordinary marriage. It comes with so much opportunities, but also limitation and stress. Also, there is just no way that an engagement is going to be announced while Meghan is still filming Suits. And the creator has said everyone is staying, so I'm assuming Meghan is under contract. Can she decide to break the contract and just deal with the consequences? Sure, but I just don't see that happening. And it's highly unlikely that a royal wedding would take place while the bride's TV show is still airing. Especially not the bride of Prince Harry, a senior and very popular royal.

Believe me, nothing will make me happier than those two getting married, but I just think it's naive to think these things don't count in modern day royal marriage. It still does to an extent.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 PM

Hello everyone my first time posting in a forum. I just had to get a question out... When do you guys think is best for Harry and Meghan to make their first public outing together before or after the 2017 Invictus Games? I know they are not until later in the year. I personally think they will start being seen together semi-officially (concerts, sport games where he isn't in his role as patron, events where he isn't representing Queen or government) together before the games.
I think this will help simmer the media attention when the Invictus Games come around because the first images will have come out, people will be a little more used to seeing them together etc.

If a wedding is in the cards for this couple I would not expect it until after Spring 2018.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

He don't have to wait a couple of years. I'm just stating why don't people give this couple a chance to figure things out. Right now, people have rushed them off to marriage, kids and divorce. Let's just let them get there.

Yes, Meghan is used to the fame and notoriety, but dealing with royal life can be a whole new can of worms. I think we should wait for this couple to emerge as a couple in a more public way a couple of times. Right now the couple is a little shy when in public. They're not that comfortable in public yet. Is is right for us to expect them to announce an engagement tomorrow? I think it's right to give them to some time to figure out where this is going first.

William learned some lessons from the past. I'm sure Harry has learned some lessons too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Majesty

If she moves to the U.K. we'll all know where it's headed.

LaRae
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
If she moves to the U.K. we'll all know where it's headed.

LaRae
Yes, that's in the process of them figuring all of this out.

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread