The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I highly doubt that's what's happening here since no one would've cared if either one of them said they don't want children. And also, the logic you mentioned above made no sense.

I think many members of the public would care. As Amaryllus mentioned, they might be attacked online or in the press and accused of being spoiled and selfish if either said they preferred to remain child-free.

I'm not saying they do; merely that they are unlikely to say so if that is the case, because it would probably not meet with public approval.

(And they both need public good will).

Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think many members of the public would care. As Amaryllus mentioned, they might be attacked online or in the press and accused of being spoiled and selfish if either said they preferred to remain child-free.

I'm not saying they do; merely that they are unlikely to say so if that is the case, because it would probably not meet with public approval.

(And they both need public good will).
I highly doubt they care. For one, Meghan was just another actress, and many of them haven't had children. Second, Harry just seem to be hell bent on living his personal life his way. If he feared backlash, he wouldn't have put that statement about Meghan out when the press and social media were out of control. That statement in a way turned the heat that was on Meghan over onto Harry himself. He and his team aren't dumb, and knew that people wouldn't just take it as is and not fight back. That was obvious in his statement, but he still did it. He's been very vocal about having that line between his personal and public life.

Plus, it's obvious that he loves children. There are so many ways for him not to answer the question, even if there is this supposed fear over public backlash.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

An alleged sighting of Meghan and Harry by a journalist. Starting at 3:59 mark.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Interesting that he said he doesn't predict marriage. I wonder what his reasons are.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Interesting that he said he doesn't predict marriage. I wonder what his reasons are.
I wouldn't give too much credit to his comments about whether or not he sees marriage. He was on that show talking about them when the story about Meghan meeting Kate came out and went on and on and on about how Meghan just reeks ambition and bagged herself the prince. Just wanted to post the possible new sighting.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I wouldn't give too much credit to his comments about whether or not he sees marriage. He was on that show talking about them when the story about Meghan meeting Kate came out and went on and on and on about how Meghan just reeks ambition and bagged herself the prince. Just wanted to post the possible new sighting.
Aah, ok. I did think it was a bit weird that he just had to insert that prediction there.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Well, the same thing was said about his brother and his then girlfriend by pretty much everyone online. Its always a "wait and see." The words William used to say.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, the same thing was said about his brother and his then girlfriend by pretty much everyone online. Its always a "wait and see." The words William used to say.
Yep! The same was said about Will and Kate. That journalist may not see marriage but Harry might and mostly likely does at this point in his life.

I think most Brits don't want to see what's staring them in their faces because Meghan is American and not British. Most probably thought it highly unlikely that anyone would in the RF would marry an American in the end of it all.

I bet they'll be engaged by the Spring as their friends speculate. But we'll see.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yeah, I can see now, that it's just this person's wild guess based on just his own personal opinion, nothing else.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post

I think most Brits don't want to see what's staring them in their faces because Meghan is American and not British. Most probably thought it highly unlikely that anyone would in the RF would marry an American in the end of it all.
This is a very sweeping statement. What's your source for it?

Every Brit that I know who's noticed this has said nothing about Meghan being American. Most thought she was Canadian since she lives in Toronto. No one that I know is bothered if Harry's girlfriend is American or not. So long as she commits wholeheartedly to being a member of the BRF if or when they marry I doubt very much that many eyelids would be batted.

Now, if the BRF took a leaf out of the Danish RF's book whereby basically every single member marries a foreigner (OT - are there really no native Danes who can catch the fancy of their royals?) that might be an issue. But that's not gonna happen.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and the American invasion of British royalty
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Yep! The same was said about Will and Kate. That journalist may not see marriage but Harry might and mostly likely does at this point in his life.

I bet they'll be engaged by the Spring as their friends speculate. But we'll see.
In the past, it was usual at least for the heir to the Crown, which is not Harry's case, and for princesses of the Royal House to marry foreigners. Those were, however, normally dynastic marriages ,i.e. marriages to members of other royal or princely families. Nowadays, non-British brides for UK princes would probably be negative for the royal family in terms of domestic reaction, unless perhaps the bride came from a Commonwealth country like Australia or Canada.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 AM
Majesty

I don't see any great british or commonwealth negativity. When it has been covered here in NZ it has been a brief genial comment because officially, there's not much of "note" happening.

Most people seem to think it would be nice if Harry had found his match but are willing to wait to see what happens. Harry's KP release has given the relationship more validity than any sneaky snap so yes, we'll wait and see.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In the end, what it all boils down to is that it doesn't matter one iota if Harry's bride is from the US, Canada, Timbuktu or the Seventh House of Betezed or what the popular opinion of his bride is. If and when Harry decides to marry, it will be his choice and his choice alone and the marriage will happen with the blessing of his monarch.

Everyone else on the planet may have opinions and that's their right to but to think that a marriage would not happen solely because of an opinion of the general population is grasping at straws.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Majesty

I hate to repea the same old, trival things. But if Charles and Camilla manged to get married, I think that anyone from the BRF in general and Prince Harry and Meghan (or whomever he may ends up with) can marry... Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Courtier

They might not have a church wedding, Charles and Camilla didn't
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
They did, however, have a church blessing of the marriage.

There really isn't anything much that would create an obstacle for Harry and Meghan should they choose to marry.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Meghan Markle makes a bold declaration of her love | Daily Mail Online

Perhaps it's just my bad sight, but I can't see that "H" the "Mail" has mentioned for a while...
Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In the end, what it all boils down to is that it doesn't matter one iota if Harry's bride is from the US, Canada, Timbuktu or the Seventh House of Betezed or what the popular opinion of his bride is. If and when Harry decides to marry, it will be his choice and his choice alone and the marriage will happen with the blessing of his monarch.

Everyone else on the planet may have opinions and that's their right to but to think that a marriage would not happen solely because of an opinion of the general population is grasping at straws.

Although I don't disagree with you, I think popular opinion matters to the British Royal Family and, indeed, to any European royal family nowadays. Meghan may in the end prove to be a popular royal bride and royal spouse, or she may not, but, in either case, I wouldn't ignore the importance of public opinion about her in Britain and the broader Commonwealth.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Meghan Markle makes a bold declaration of her love | Daily Mail Online

Perhaps it's just my bad sight, but I can't see that "H" the "Mail" has mentioned for a while...
Lol, I was just coming here to say the same thing! That doesn't look like an H to me.