The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
A definition of "good stock" might come in handy now.
I suppose the OP meant "good stock" in the British class system sense of the word. Diana was the daughter of an earl from a very illustrious and old family. Camilla and Sarah, although not daughters of a peer, would normally qualify nonetheless as "gentry" ; Sarah, for example, had several ancestors who were viscounts and even a duke; Camilla, on the other hand, descends from barons and an earl.

Catherine,however, doesn't come from an old family with an aristocratic ancestry, but her parents at least are millionaires, which qualifies as "good stock" on these modern days, even if self-made millionaires like her parents (as opposed to inherited wealth) are still frowned upon by the old landed classes in the UK.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I always find amusing how some people have this image of the royals living this extremely hard life of "limitations and demands", when, on the contrary, a royal life is in reality one of great privilege with very little need to do actually any kind of hard work in return for it.
That's the thing, though.
Many people actually do like to work, especially if they've worked to build up a career. It would be tough for some people to say goodbye to their career. Also the scrutiny they have to endure would be a huge turn off, too. The poster I replied to mentioned 'good stock' from which Harry should pick a woman of his choice. Many times these women already live that privileged life, and a life with a royal would only bring limitations and demands. Many women would already find the 24/7 security a huge negative.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I suppose the OP meant "good stock" in the British class system sense of the word. Diana was the daughter of an earl from a very illustrious and old family. Camilla and Sarah, although not daughters of a peer, would normally qualify nonetheless as "gentry" ; Sarah, for example, had several ancestors who were viscounts and even a duke; Camilla, on the other hand, descends from barons and an earl.

Catherine,however, doesn't come from an old family with an aristocratic ancestry, but her parents at least are millionaires, which qualifies as "good stock" on these modern days, even if self-made millionaires like her parents (as opposed to inherited wealth) are still frowned upon by the old landed classes in the UK.
I don't think this is the case. They are frowned by snobbish newspapers and snobbish people who prefer the old landed classes.

The old landed classes themselves generally rather like people with brains and money and would like them in their family.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

When Olive Middleton died in 1936 she left a personal estate of £52,031 - worth around £2 million today.

So although the Middletons are self-made, Mike has a bit of 'old money' in his veins.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Harry is supposedly around good stock......but why does he have such a hard time finding one of those "good stock girls" he has family and friends who could easily put him in touch with "good stock".
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Now to be absolutely honest here, I think the only time Harry would even begin to think of "good stock" is when perhaps he and Meghan are making a pot of homemade soup.

When I hear the words "good stock", what first comes to mind for me is horses and breeding and stud farms and from what I know, Harry does not share the interest in horse breeding with his grandmother at all.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

He's found "good stock."

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Majesty

Aw crap on a cracker. Now I want a big pot of homemade vegetable soup made with beef stock.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I prefer pumpkin or potato and leek myself. Talk of 'good' blood and stock also reminds me of the horse racing industry.

Apparently, when Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice was about to marry Henry of Battenberg and her German relatives complained of the match because of his 'unequal' background, Victoria likened them to horse breeders. The vast majority of royals don't marry fellow royals or into the nobility now, anyway.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I just came for the soup tips!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:35 AM
Majesty

The concept of stock here seems as shifting as the sands. If people had said six years ago that Kate would be listed among those coming from good stock, there would have been debate and even outrage. The daughter of former flight attendants, an uncle involved with drugs, nouveau Richie at its trashiest. But now she us an English rise, a fresh breath, good English stock.

Stock is for horses and dogs, not humans. We're not talking breeding. Victoria had it right.

Good stock may ensure you are a good race horse. But the best lineage certainly doesn't endure a good royal.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The concept of stock here seems as shifting as the sands. If people had said six years ago that Kate would be listed among those coming from good stock, there would have been debate and even outrage. The daughter of former flight attendants, an uncle involved with drugs, nouveau Richie at its trashiest. But now she us an English rise, a fresh breath, good English stock.

Stock is for horses and dogs, not humans. We're not talking breeding. Victoria had it right.

Good stock may ensure you are a good race horse. But the best lineage certainly doesn't endure a good royal.
I'm confused by your comment. Either breeding and being 'good stock' matters to you or it doesn't.

You say Victoria had it right, but mention Catherine being the daughter of a flight attendant.

Is being flight attendant not an honest career? Sophie Wessex's dad was a tyre salesman and her mother a secretary.

I remember Romilly Weeks, the former royal editor for ITV, saying in all her years covering the royals, the 'worst' she ever heard about Catherine was, that growing up she was a bit of a "goody two shoes"

She was a Brownie, she was involved in every club, she's sporty and played school sports. Took piano lessons and did theatre.

So say what you want, but the Middletons belong in the top 0.5% of earners in Britain. Catherine went to the same school as Samantha Cameron and the Frances Osborne. Not exactly a street urchin.

It's your prerogative not to like her, but I think Harry would be very lucky to find his 'Kate'
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I always find amusing how some people have this image of the royals living this extremely hard life of "limitations and demands", when, on the contrary, a royal life is in reality one of great privilege with very little need to do actually any kind of hard work in return for it.

I suppose much of that perception, at least in the US, came from the versions that Sarah, Duchess of York and Diana, Princess of Wales tried to tell of their own lives in the royal family after their own failed marriages.

Catherine, on the other hand, seems to be the opposite, i.e. she wanted badly to get into the RF (actually pursuing that goal for many years) and, now that she got in, she seems to be pretty happy about it.

I'm still trying to figure out where Meghan falls in that spectrum, although I don't care too much as I still think it's very unlikely she will ever marry Prince Harry.
Right? Getting applauded for doing the bare minimum. What a life.

A for being of ''good stock'' just because someone has benefitted from a headstart in life due to classism , it doesn't make them a good person. So far, Meghan has a far better resumé than Kate ever will have. That said, they're people, not horses and we could do with less people of ''good stock'' in our society. This idea that people from certain social circles are inherentely good or better needs to end. It's outdated.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Back on topic please - this thread is about Harry's relationship, not a debate on class systems, peoples' backgrounds or comparing one person favourably against another.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Nobility

I hope that one day Harry can find his perfect English Rose good stock girl who he may love a little bit even if she is not his true choice but the acceptable choice for the 5th in line. I hope they will be happy. True love is overrated when you have to please the country.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
I hope that one day Harry can find his perfect English Rose good stock girl who he may love a little bit even if she is not his true choice but the acceptable choice for the 5th in line. I hope they will be happy. True love is overrated when you have to please the country.
Those old days are long gone.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
IMO, this is a recipe for disaster. Its been tried before and proven to be a bad idea to put country and duty before love when it comes to a royal marriage. If anyone would know this, it would be Harry. He's witnessed the sad results of this kind of thinking first hand.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

I just wonder if Harry knows what love is and if Meg would be good for him, not just good to him.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Yes Harry witnessed it first hand but it seems his wishes as 5th in line are secondary to him providing a fairytale narrative. Any girl that does not fit that narrative will have her reputation smeared. Whoever Harry chooses I hope she fits the narrative or else. The hysterical overreaction of Harry just dating a girl is comical. He has already destroyed the monarchy and his life according to some.........for simply dating.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 PM
Majesty

I find it very hard to believe that Harry would base his marriage on finding someone that the media, the trolls of the general public or Aunt Prudence who knows a courtier that gets her hair done at the same place ol' Pru does might do to flame, denigrate, demean and in general just act really, really nasty about his choice. We've gone that fairy tale route before and providing a "narrative" for the braying masses can be accomplished in many ways without a marriage.

It would take a person of very low self esteem to even begin to think that the public "hysteria" or "fawning" or "insert your own adjective here" would make a difference on how they conduct their private lives and Harry most certainly does not fit into that mold whatsoever.

There is only one person that can prevent Harry from having his wishes fulfilled and the blessing to marry his person of choice and that is his grandmother and personally, I don't see why she would have any objection. Harry has absolutely no guidelines whatsoever of parameters that his future bride must fit into. William didn't and he's the heir to the heir and the future king.