The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 AM
Aristocracy

But that's all under the guise of the double standard I mentioned above. The people you mentioned are members of the RF. Kate grew up in the traditional style of an upper class English girl. Yet the snobbery exists regardless. Meghan is even farther removed. People do care, otherwise newspapers would not be writing about it. Now that doesn't mean that everyone on here does or should. But these stories aren't going to stop.

I agree standards have changed. And that's exactly what interests me. My guess is they will continue changing to accomodate the desire of the younger royals to feel "normal." But their entire existence hinges on being anything but normal. So how will that reconcile. The personal relationship doesn't interest me because I don't see anything particularly intriguing about either person involved, but the reactions to them may have very real consequences in the future. And it's not just this one thing, it's how the RF will continue to change with George and Charlotte and Harry's children. With each change the erosion continues and I find it fantastic. But I'm not so sure that everyone does and all i was saying was that I would understand why even though I dont find much objectionable to Meghan as a person myself.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:08 AM
Nobility

The fact that DM hasn't been able to dig any dirt on Meghan, her mother or father (bad money management is not dirt, her mother's bankruptcy is from 15 years ago) speaks volumes. None of Meghan's friends are talking, not her exes, college friends, etc. DM feels entitled to scoop, and isn't getting any, so they write smearing articles. I bet they're pissed to have to pay the photographers camped outside her house in Canada.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 AM
Majesty

Meghan Markle shown in a wedding dress in Suits trailer | Daily Mail Online

"Never seen photo of Meghan Markle"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...an-Markle.html

"Meghan Markle's half brother Tom pleads for royal wedding invite if she marries Prince Harry"
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...er-tom-9670538
Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
The fact that DM hasn't been able to dig any dirt on Meghan, her mother or father (bad money management is not dirt, her mother's bankruptcy is from 15 years ago) speaks volumes.

That doesn't stop them from trying though.

There are at least five articles about Meghan (and her family) in the DM today, and none of them have anything of import to say!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

"Never-before-seen photo of Meghan Markle shows it wasn't long ago she was an 'unnamed guest' at showbiz parties"

This is the Daily Mail's way of telling us Meghan was a nobody before she met Prince Harry. She's a 'social climber'

Tabloids have made a slight adjustment in how they cover Meghan and her family since Harry issued his statement but make no mistake, certain writers are out to get her.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Nobility

Meghan is one of the main characters in a very successful TV show. That show is generally well respected in the media, it's not Gossip Girl or The Bold and the Beautiful. It's a smart, classy show that basically my entire office watches religiously; there's been plenty of chat about Prince Harry and 'Rachel Zane' at the water cooler. The guys I know who watch it are incredibly jealous of Harry.

No, she wasn't a household name. But she also wasn't a nobody. She's had the kind of acting success that thousands, if not millions, of actresses would give their eye teeth for.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Courtier

imo, Suits is in the same level as Gossip Girl, except Gossip Girl was talk more about that Suits.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
imo, Suits is in the same level as Gossip Girl, except Gossip Girl was talk more about that Suits.
I've watched both shows, and that's a very unfair assessment of Suits.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Nobility

It really doesn't matter if Suits and Gossip Girl are alike. The fact is, that every career success and effort Meghan has had, happened before she met Harry. So far this relationship hasn't benefited her at all money or career wise. It might even hinder her acting jobs. It's also a career she'd have to give up, if Harry and her get engaged. DM have always been trash, and I'm guessing they're pissed they aren't getting exclusives. They did the same with Amal Clooney when George called them out.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

DM guesses she's either on her way to Toronto or London. Great investigative journalism as usual

Meghan Markle arrives at Mumbai Airport | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
DM guesses she's either on her way to Toronto or London. Great investigative journalism as usual

Meghan Markle arrives at Mumbai Airport | Daily Mail Online
Hopefully London just to piss people off.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

You probably have to stop somewhere in between Mumbai and Toronto. Can't really fly direct without stopping to refuel.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Nobility

So she was in India, according to some she had someone in India tweet to make it look like she was in India....hmmm another day, another narrative.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
So she was in India, according to some she had someone in India tweet to make it look like she was in India....hmmm another day, another narrative.
Really!? Why on earth do they think she'd do that?!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Majesty

I disagree that the media have overlooked Uncle Gary. There was at least one article about his cocaine use at his Maison de Bang Bang. He's since sold that place, but there was a lot of disapproving talk about him. Duchess of Cambridge's very colourful uncle | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Isn't it great when it is Kate, people focus on her classy parents. They over look family like Gary. But with Meghan, her family isn't cut out to be near the queen, based on extended family she has no contact with for years. Her own parents have refused to make any public statement and have done nothing to earn negative comments directed their way.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I disagree that the media have overlooked Uncle Gary. There was at least one article about his cocaine use at his Maison de Bang Bang. He's since sold that place, but there was a lot of disapproving talk about him. Duchess of Cambridge's very colourful uncle | Royal | News | Daily Express
I am not talking media. I am talking people on this board who say Meghan is inappropriate because of the actions of her extended family. Yet they have no problem with Gary, as by their erode Kate's parentsare classy and that us all that matters. Pointing out the obvious double standards here. If Kate's uncle doesn't matter, neither should Meghan's estranged extended family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You probably have to stop somewhere in between Mumbai and Toronto. Can't really fly direct without stopping to refuel.
Yes, flights of that length at least have one stop. Most seem to either have a layover in Frankfurt or London.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Really!? Why on earth do they think she'd do that?!
Because some people really want her to do something wrong. They really want her to do something that would hopefully justify their dislike of her.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Sorry, I misunderstood. I do remember a lot of negative comment about Kate's family early on. People were particularly vicious about Carole Middleton and her family background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Neither Catherine nor Meghan are responsible for their extended families but if we're going down the road of comparisons, Gary's cocaine use is hardly scandalous. Lets face it, cocaine is a drug of the middle and upper classes.

Here's an article about former 'posh' PM David Cameron

So what if David Cameron took drugs? We all did | The Independent

Gary maybe a lot of things but he appears rather harmless. Plus he's a successful businessman who's a self-made millionaire

I wouldn't compare recreational drug use to violent assault with a gun, which is what Meghan's brother has been charged with.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Majesty

You're certainly right about the contrast between cocaine use and holding a gun to someone's head.

I was making the point that "people" didn't give the Duchess of Cambridge's family a pass in the gossip stakes, which is what Countessmeout had suggested.