The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3241  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Acting career, clothing line and UN gig, all things Meghan will have to gave up if she marry Harry
Haven't read the article, but the headline makes me think about the fact that IF Meghan were to
marry Prince Harry, she would have to give up her job AND all potential future earnings as well - that is, she would have to accept that whatever income and assets she has...is all that she'll ever have. I mean, she could invest her assets and accrue interest and all that, but still - it's a pretty daunting prospect. Love - the secure and abiding kind - is worth the sacrifice but still - it's a sobering thought.

Oops! That wasn't an article! My bad.
__________________

  #3242  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisternly View Post
Haven't read the article, but the headline makes me think about the fact that IF Meghan were to
marry Prince Harry, she would have to give up her job AND all potential future earnings as well - that is, she would have to accept that whatever income and assets she has...is all that she'll ever have. I mean, she could invest her assets and accrue interest and all that, but still - it's a pretty daunting prospect. Love - the secure and abiding kind - is worth the sacrifice but still - it's a sobering thought.
And who says she'll have to give it all up? I disagree! I say we wait and see. I read she may not have to give up a thing.

"Suits" only because it's filmed in Canada. But Harry may let do one more season while they are married for her character to wrap things up. Again, we'll see.

And I am well aware of what Kate had to do and those before her etc. I don't care. Number 1- times are changing; 2- Kate did not have what Meghan has, a career, a business, and Charity work; 3-Meghan is American, not British and her being married to a Brit and a prince doesn't change that fact.
__________________

  #3243  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,695
I've deleted and edited a large number of posts. As a reminder, we expect members to base their statements on published stories, rather than on wishful thinking, or unsubstantiated gossip/rumor.

The discussion about tiaras has been moved to the Tiaras for Prince Harry's future wife thread. Also, please remember that this thread is about Harry and his relationships. If you want to discuss the Middleton family, please go to their thread.
  #3244  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,462
Meghan will have to give up a lot financially though, and that will be a real dilemma, I feel. Will she give up Suits (if she hasn't signed a contract for a seventh season of the show) and move to London in the next few months, trusting to Providence to Harry and to their future marriage? What if it doesn't work out? That would be a considerable sacrifice made for naught.

On the other hand, if Meghan waits until the ring is on the finger Royal engagements are traditionally short. Would there be enough time to learn about the BRF protocol, Britain, British way of life etc etc? The financial sacrifices under those circumstances too would be quite considerable, but at least there will be a marriage at the end of it.
  #3245  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan will have to give up a lot financially though, and that will be a real dilemma, I feel. Will she give up Suits (if she hasn't signed a contract for a seventh season of the show) and move to London in the next few months, trusting to Providence to Harry and to their future marriage? What if it doesn't work out? That would be a considerable sacrifice made for naught.

On the other hand, if Meghan waits until the ring is on the finger Royal engagements are traditionally short. Would there be enough time to learn about the BRF protocol, Britain, British way of life etc etc? The financial sacrifices under those circumstances too would be quite considerable, but at least there will be a marriage at the end of it.
I'd be very surprised if she has not committed to season 7. I believe that cast originally had 5 year contracts, and then it was renewed. Typically it would be for 2 years. Season 7 is likely the last season of Suits though. I know people are thinking they might not date that long before getting engaged because of her age and the fact that they want children. I still suspect that an engagement won't be announced until mid to late 2018 with a wedding in 2019 if this goes to the next level. If that's the case, she'd probably move to London at the end of 2017 when Suit wraps up filming. She can start on the so called princess lessons before then if they do get serious enough. But she'll move there for at least a few months before an engagement is announced.
  #3246  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
And who says she'll have to give it all up? I disagree! I say we wait and see. I read she may not have to give up a thing.

"Suits" only because it's filmed in Canada. But Harry may let do one more season while they are married for her character to wrap things up. Again, we'll see.

And I am well aware of what Kate had to do and those before her etc. I don't care. Number 1- times are changing; 2- Kate did not have what Meghan has, a career, a business, and Charity work; 3-Meghan is American, not British and her being married to a Brit and a prince doesn't change that fact.
Yes, we'll see. They may never marry. And this is all hypothetical, of course. But there is a precedent - most royal wives have had to give up their day jobs.
  #3247  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan will have to give up a lot financially though, and that will be a real dilemma, I feel. Will she give up Suits (if she hasn't signed a contract for a seventh season of the show) and move to London in the next few months, trusting to Providence to Harry and to their future marriage? What if it doesn't work out? That would be a considerable sacrifice made for naught.

On the other hand, if Meghan waits until the ring is on the finger Royal engagements are traditionally short. Would there be enough time to learn about the BRF protocol, Britain, British way of life etc etc? The financial sacrifices under those circumstances too would be quite considerable, but at least there will be a marriage at the end of it.
The U.K. Is not some strange foreign land with new customs and a language to learn. Yes, there are differences, but not something she needs a great deal of study in. And even if she is in London, she isn't going to know what it is to be a royal until she is one. She has spent a lot of time there, and there are plenty of books. Time she can spend in her off time. There isno need for her to live in the uk to learn British culture. Perhaps when suits ends, she will move. There is plenty of acting opportunities in London. And she can carry on her blog and fashion line from London. And her work with the un and world vision.
  #3248  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The U.K. Is not some strange foreign land with new customs and a language to learn. Yes, there are differences, but not something she needs a great deal of study in. And even if she is in London, she isn't going to know what it is to be a royal until she is one. She has spent a lot of time there, and there are plenty of books. Time she can spend in her off time. There isno need for her to live in the uk to learn British culture. Perhaps when suits ends, she will move. There is plenty of acting opportunities in London. And she can carry on her blog and fashion line from London. And her work with the un and world vision.
I don't think learning British culture is the imperative here, I think one of them would need to move so that they can proceed with their relationship on the same continent lol. They need a bit of time and proximity in order to find out if the relationship has staying power.
  #3249  
Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisternly View Post
I don't think learning British culture is the imperative here, I think one of them would need to move so that they can proceed with their relationship on the same continent lol. They need a bit of time and proximity in order to find out if the relationship has staying power.
I don't think a move is essential for that to happen, or that it is even a good idea at this point. In my opinion, it would make more sense for Meghan to move only when she is sure the relationship has staying power. If either of them have doubts, then I think her spending more time in London with Harry now will give her more clarity. If it is true that she's still in London, then perhaps that is how they are approaching it.
  #3250  
Old 01-18-2017, 01:47 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
I don't think a move is essential for that to happen, or that it is even a good idea at this point. In my opinion, it would make more sense for Meghan to move only when she is sure the relationship has staying power. If either of them have doubts, then I think her spending more time in London with Harry now will give her more clarity. If it is true that she's still in London, then perhaps that is how they are approaching it.
I think the only real differences in our views are semantic tbh. I think We can both agree that they need to spend more time together on the same continent. I just think that anyone in a long distance relationship should spend at least a little bit of time "living" (on a trial or short term basis) in the same city as their would-be spouse.
  #3251  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Marietta, United States
Posts: 139
A man on Twitter has just said he hoped Meghan was having a wonderful time in India and that they met.Also a women's foundation in India has posted it was wonderful "interacting" with her..So it sounds like she did go to India...Unfortunately they told this on social media if she was hiding so if paps really want a picture,they're on it! Just in case it's deleted this time!
  #3252  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 8,918
If this is true, its kind of sad that because of paps, the work that Meghan is doing cannot reach more people and draw badly needed attention to the causes she is backing. To have all the paps descend on her in India just because she is dating Harry would be totally disruptive and frustrating.

One thing I can be pretty sure of is that both Harry and Meghan have very good reason to abhor the press even more. Then again, should Meghan be backing these causes as a Princess of the UK, the press coverage would be even greater and reach more people.

Lots of pros and cons to mull over for these two when considering a future together.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.”
~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #3253  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:32 AM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
And who says she'll have to give it all up? I disagree! I say we wait and see. I read she may not have to give up a thing.

"Suits" only because it's filmed in Canada. But Harry may let do one more season while they are married for her character to wrap things up. Again, we'll see.

And I am well aware of what Kate had to do and those before her etc. I don't care. Number 1- times are changing; 2- Kate did not have what Meghan has, a career, a business, and Charity work; 3-Meghan is American, not British and her being married to a Brit and a prince doesn't change that fact.
Sophie and Edward failed attempt at a career/business owners is who say she has to gave it up.
Time don't change that fast.
People sure love to act like working for a family business is not real work (working for party pieces) and conveniently forgetting her charity works, she even set up a fundraising event.
  #3254  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:36 AM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 813
Meghan herself claim she had a hard time getting roles, outside of her show, the only thing she could get is Hallmark movies... when one is on Hallmark films, its hard to get out and get shows on networks tv or HBO. Hollywood also don't pay attention to women over 35 unless they are Meryl Streep.
If she wanted to continue acting her best bet would be to stay in Canada and continue her Hallmark career after her show ended.
  #3255  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Sophie and Edward failed attempt at a career/business owners is who say she has to gave it up.
Time don't change that fast.
People sure love to act like working for a family business is not real work (working for party pieces) and conveniently forgetting her charity works, one where she set up a fundraising event.
If I remember correctly, Kate took a part time job with a family friend's business after graduation. Even with a part time job, there were troubles because she had to be available whenever William had free time to chat. And after that, she took a position with her family. It makes people wonder how much work it really is working at the family business if someone can't stick to a part time job elsewhere. And btw, a career isn't the same as a job. A lot of teenagers take on hourly jobs when they are not in school, but I don't think that makes it a career. Now regardless of that argument, it's pretty fair to say that Kate wasn't working at the same level as Meghan is now.

And btw, I agree that if her and Harry were to marry, she would have to give up her career. Especially if Prince Charles plans on retiring his siblings once he takes over and streamline it to him, Camilla, the Cambridges, Harry and his future wife. There isn't enough royals to go around for all of the current numbers of charity.
  #3256  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Sophie and Edward failed attempt at a career/business owners is who say she has to gave it up.
Time don't change that fast.
People sure love to act like working for a family business is not real work (working for party pieces) and conveniently forgetting her charity works, she even set up a fundraising event.
Working for the family business IS work and it shouldn't be marginalized imo, but Kate's parents call the shots at Party Pieces, which means that if Kates marriage to Will ever fell apart, she'd still have a job. She has a safety net that Meghan doesn't have. An actress can't just disappear for a decade and then pick up where they left off.
  #3257  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nowhere, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If this is true, its kind of sad that because of paps, the work that Meghan is doing cannot reach more people and draw badly needed attention to the causes she is backing. To have all the paps descend on her in India just because she is dating Harry would be totally disruptive and frustrating.

One thing I can be pretty sure of is that both Harry and Meghan have very good reason to abhor the press even more. Then again, should Meghan be backing these causes as a Princess of the UK, the press coverage would be even greater and reach more people.

Lots of pros and cons to mull over for these two when considering a future together.
I hope this is true! And if she did go, I'm certain that news of her visit will make it to the media eventually, and the causes she supports will get the coverage they deserve.
  #3258  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Houston, United States
Posts: 15
Yes, I saw the tweet too. It's an organization called 'Power Foundation' and they're teaming up with World Vision India.
  #3259  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere in, United Kingdom
Posts: 359
If she went to India, then it will reach the media, a little delayed, but I suppose that was the goal when her trip was 'cancelled'.
  #3260  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 132
Oh, that's good news if she could keep her India engagement. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Meghan herself claim she had a hard time getting roles, outside of her show, the only thing she could get is Hallmark movies... when one is on Hallmark films, its hard to get out and get shows on networks tv or HBO. Hollywood also don't pay attention to women over 35 unless they are Meryl Streep.
If she wanted to continue acting her best bet would be to stay in Canada and continue her Hallmark career after her show ended.
If I'm reading this correctly, then I don't think there would be much of an issue with her finding some work if/when she were to move or marry PH. As a royal, she wouldn't have to worry about a lack of stability, so she could just take on a role here or there. However, the big question is whether or not that's even feasible and it probably isn't.

I just don't think she would have that much of an issue with giving up acting though, especially once Suits is over. She knows it's only going to get harder for her to try to make a living as an actor. I think that partially explains why she's chosen to embrace all these different opportunities outside of acting.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria current events denmark fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe letizia monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats victoria


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises