The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Prince Harry's girlfriend Meghan Markle chose acting over foreign service career | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Where does this idea, that Meghan was living off wealthy men come from? It's quite insulting and sexist, with no proof to back it up.
I was the one who brought it up. As I stated at the beginning of my comment, I support Harry and Meghan's relationship but I disagreed with some points made in a comment comparing Meghan and Princess Sofia of Sweden.

Regarding my "living off wealthy men," I did throw in qualifying words like "I could be wrong but..." and "to me it looks like..." I am not going back down from the comment and feel that I have a sound basis for my position, which does not mean that others can't see it differently. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place, because I can elaborate on how I came to the conclusions I came to but, given the reaction, that will likely be seen as throwing negativity at someone that I am rooting for.

Bear in mind that my comment was in response to a post that had several disparaging comments directed at Princess Sofia - for the record, I like Sofia but I don't think she is above reproach. I guess the lesson learned here is to be careful about tearing someone else down to make another person look good.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I was the one who brought it up. As I stated at the beginning of my comment, I support Harry and Meghan's relationship but I disagreed with some points made in a comment comparing Meghan and Princess Sofia of Sweden.

Regarding my "living off wealthy men," I did throw in qualifying words like "I could be wrong but..." and "to me it looks like..." I am not going back down from the comment and feel that I have a sound basis for my position, which does not mean that others can't see it differently. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place, because I can elaborate on how I came to the conclusions I came to but, given the reaction, that will likely be seen as throwing negativity at someone that I am rooting for.

Bear in mind that my comment was in response to a post that had several disparaging comments directed at Princess Sofia - for the record, I like Sofia but I don't think she is above reproach. I guess the lesson learned here is to be careful about tearing someone else down to make another person look good.
The comments about Sofia had facts backing them up. Your opinion of Meghan living off of wealthy man didn't. That's the difference here. If it's based facts, then that's just stating facts. If it's stating without facts, and tarnished someone's reputation. That's libel.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

I really get where you're coming from with all this but it is not uncommon here for posters to ask you to back up what you say with a credible source. We have to be responsible enough to maintain a sensible, reasonable and intelligent discussion about things without resorting to speculation, gossip and hearsay as that leads to misinformation that could be passed on and then taken as fact.

Your opinion is valid and your own and respected but it does help to elaborate on how you came to such a conclusion sometimes with credible facts to back it up.

I agree that the comparisons that have been made in this thread between Princess Sofia of Sweden and Meghan Markle are out of place as each woman is unique unto her own self. Its my own opinion that no one should be disrespected for any reason. Its OK not to like someone but in my book, if you can't say anything positive about someone, its best to say nothing at all.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:07 PM
Nobility

But there's no support to the idea, that she was living off men. There's no way to prove it without seeing her and her exes tax papers etc.

The way Meghan, and any woman dating or marrying a royal get torn to pieces, how made up bs stories get written on message boards etc is just ugly. Some people even try to claim, that it's their right as tax payers to have input in whom the royal dates or marries. This site sees to be pretty decent and sane in that sense.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
But there's no support to the idea, that she was living off men. There's no way to prove it without seeing her and her exes tax papers etc.

The way Meghan, and any woman dating or marrying a royal get torn to pieces, how made up bs stories get written on message boards etc is just ugly. Some people even try to claim, that it's their right as tax payers to have input in whom the royal dates or marries. This site sees to be pretty decent and sane in that sense.
I think that's basically because there are rules in place here to discourage the types of comments we see trolls making elsewhere and in the Daily Mail comment section.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."
Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
The comments about Sofia had facts backing them up. Your opinion of Meghan living off of wealthy man didn't. That's the difference here. If it's based facts, then that's just stating facts. If it's stating without facts, and tarnished someone's reputation. That's libel.
Not every assertion in that post was supported by facts.

I did not say that Meghan living off wealthy men was a fact, I made it very clear that it was an opinion / judgement call. My comment was not libelous.

In the same sentence that I made the "living off wealthy men" comment I also stated that Meghan (and Sofia) had a socially conscious side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really get where you're coming from with all this but it is not uncommon here for posters to ask you to back up what you say with a credible source. We have to be responsible enough to maintain a sensible, reasonable and intelligent discussion about things without resorting to speculation, gossip and hearsay as that leads to misinformation that could be passed on and then taken as fact.

Your opinion is valid and your own and respected but it does help to elaborate on how you came to such a conclusion sometimes with credible facts to back it up.

I agree that the comparisons that have been made in this thread between Princess Sofia of Sweden and Meghan Markle are out of place as each woman is unique unto her own self. Its my own opinion that no one should be disrespected for any reason. Its OK not to like someone but in my book, if you can't say anything positive about someone, its best to say nothing at all.
I have no problem with being asked to substantiate anything that I state whether it is something that I present as a fact, which was not the case here, or an opinion of mine.

Believe me, I can substantiate my comment but I think that this is a case where discretion is the better part of valor. Note I am not claiming that if I were to elaborate that everyone will buy in my point of view, and agree with the comment that no one really knows unless they are looking at tax statements.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that's basically because there are rules in place here to discourage the types of comments we see trolls making elsewhere and in the Daily Mail comment section.

"Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated."
Meghan's IMDb page is my primary resource.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Not every assertion in that post was supported by facts.

I did not say that Meghan living off wealthy men was a fact, I made it very clear that it was an opinion / judgement call. My comment was not libelous.

In the same sentence that I made the "living off wealthy men" comment I also stated that Meghan (and Sofia) had a socially conscious side.

I have no problem with being asked to substantiate anything that I state whether it is something that I present as a fact, which was not the case here, or an opinion of mine.

Believe me, I can substantiate my comment but I think that this is a case where discretion is the better part of valor. Note I am not claiming that if I were to elaborate that everyone will buy in my point of view, and agree with the comment that no one really knows unless they are looking at tax statements.

ETA:

Meghan's IMDb page is my primary resource.
That is exactly what libel is if you can't provide facts. Just by having an in my opinion and then stating something that isn't subjective doesn't cover you. It's not the same as saying someone is ugly as beauty is subjective. You made a statement that is either true or not true disregard personal preference. And not buying the arguement that you don't want anyone to think that of her by not providing facts. If you didn't want to, you wouldn't have said it in the first place.

And I haven't seen anything to suggest Meghan was living off of a wealthy man. Even tabloids didn't go so far.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaika View Post
I did have a problem with the Duchess of Cambridge, they are plenty of princesses and aristocrats to choose from. With Meghan it's more so because of an American thing. Americans did not want the British Monarchy, they went to war in order to get rid of us, why should they now be able to have an American born princess - I find it ironic to say the least. And we should not compare continental monarchies to the BRF. Not the same status or history or influence at all.

Royal men these days seem to see it very different. As CP Haakon 20 years ago said in an interview (1 year before he first met his future wife: "The shortage (of princesses or aristocrats to choose from) is much too limited"

I have great reservations about Harry dating that woman; but to the fellow poster who claimed british women shouldn´t curtsey Markle once she would be a Duchess because she wasn´t of british origin, nativity has nothing to do with etiquette or protocol but status! As a possible wife of Pr Henry, then Duke of ?, she would be a royal highness and if you want to follow royal etiquette strictly and the way it was once intended you would have to curtsey (though it is of course nowadays optional and by one´s own choice)
Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Royal men these days seem to see it very different. As CP Haakon 20 years ago said in an interview (1 year before he first met his future wife: "The shortage (of princesses or aristocrats to choose from) is much too limited"

I have great reservations about Harry dating that woman; but to the fellow poster who claimed british women shouldn´t curtsey Markle once she would be a Duchess because she wasn´t of british origin, nativity has nothing to do with etiquette or protocol but status! As a possible wife of Pr Henry, then Duke of ?, she would be a royal highness and if you want to follow royal etiquette strictly and the way it was once intended you would have to curtsey (though it is of course nowadays optional and by one´s own choice)
Besides, when royalty only married other royalty, most princesses were foreign. the British ppl still curtseyed to a foreign woman.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: The little girl who would grow up to steal a Prince's heart... Meghan Markle's family share their enchanting photographs of the actress in her younger days | Daily Mail Online

Her family is very annoying and they are selling stories for money...I now see why she doesn't talk to them often.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyway I really hope this Relationship will lead to a wedding.... pity about her family
Old 12-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Majesty

Yes, this is my concern as well. If she gets engaged to Harry, let alone marry him, she'll be able to do more humanitarian work. On the other hand, she'll be muzzled of anything that even smacks of controversy. From what I've seen written by her, she seems to be a very strong character who talks openly of her own challenges and her personal history. Is she equally open about other opinions? I really don't know, but I wonder if she'd really be ready for a life that involves giving up a lot of personal freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
She may be more than happy to give it all up for Harry just hope she's well aware of what her life will be and what she can and cannot say and do

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

We know Meghan is pro gun control, because she posted on Piers Morgan's Twitter page agreeing with his views and discussing how different she felt in Canada (Toronto) with reference to it. That's how she got to be an acquaintance of Morgan. However that shouldn't be a problem if she lives in the UK, lol. She has strong views on poverty but I don't think that would be a worry unless she starts criticising government policy in this area.

I agree that there is going to have to be an awful lot of biting the lip and counting to ten for Meghan if she should join the royal family otherwise there will be trouble. It can be done though, I'm sure. She's an interesting character, and I think she could be an asset.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmagnolia View Post
Well, if we are going off the person who is heavily quoted in the article...the 'family member' is her ex sister in law. Who knows if they are even in contact these days. But you know what they say...you can pick your friends but not your family.

It's a shame that the sister in law decided to sell her relationship with Meaghan. IF [and that's a big if] this leads to a marriage, there's one name she can scratch off the guest list.

All this totally makes sense, if you were to go strictly off her social media pages...it appears that she has remade her family to consist of her mother, possibly her father and her friends.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Anyway I really hope this Relationship will lead to a wedding.... pity about her family
Honestly every family has them. Kate had her uncle who never stopped talking. Seems the tacky side is on her father's side, the mother's side have kept quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Well, if we are going off the person who is heavily quoted in the article...the 'family member' is her ex sister in law. Who knows if they are even in contact these days. But you know what they say...you can pick your friends but not your family.

It's a shame that the sister in law decided to sell her relationship with Meaghan. IF [and that's a big if] this leads to a marriage, there's one name she can scratch off the guest list.

All this totally makes sense, if you were to go strictly off her social media pages...it appears that she has remade her family to consist of her mother, possibly her father and her friends.
The worst is that Samantha person who tries to tweet her and royal bloggers. What is the matter with her? They have 20 years age difference and she sold her little sister out like that.

Her mother's side has kept quiet.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
We know Meghan is pro gun control, because she posted on Piers Morgan's Twitter page agreeing with his views and discussing how different she felt in Canada (Toronto) with reference to it. That's how she got to be an acquaintance of Morgan. However that shouldn't be a problem if she lives in the UK, lol. She has strong views on poverty but I don't think that would be a worry unless she starts criticising government policy in this area.

I agree that there is going to have to be an awful lot of biting the lip and counting to ten for Meghan if she should join the royal family otherwise there will be trouble. It can be done though, I'm sure. She's an interesting character, and I think she could be an asset.

Don't forget she won't ever ever be allowed to outshine Kate when doing her duties there will be a lot of walking the line. Kate is going to be Queen and will and must come first.
Just the way it is that's why I hope there is no rushing to the church

Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonder what the Queen thinks about her parents being a bi racial family? Hope for her that the Queen agrees on it! that times had change .......
Old 12-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Don't forget she won't ever ever be allowed to outshine Kate when doing her duties there will be a lot of walking the line. Kate is going to be Queen and will and must come first.
Just the way it is that's why I hope there is no rushing to the church

That shouldn't be a problem. You only have to worry about stepping on the toes of the main royals: the Monarch, the Consort, and the 1st-in-line. Everybody else is just supporting cast to those three. Catherine won't be in that group until she's a Queen, by then Meghan would likely be in her 50s or 60s, and the media would have no interest in a middle-age Duchess. I think her bigger concern would be not overshadowing Camilla during Charles' reign, Meghan would still be young and dynamic then, and the press would constantly compare the two because both were divorcees.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
That shouldn't be a problem. You only have to worry about stepping on the toes of the main royals: the Monarch, the Consort, and the 1st-in-line. Everybody else is just supporting cast to those three. Catherine won't be in that group until she's a Queen, by then Meghan would likely be in her 50s or 60s, and the media would have no interest in a middle-age Duchess. I think her bigger concern would be not overshadowing Camilla during Charles' reign, Meghan would still be young and dynamic then, and the press would constantly compare the two because both were divorcees.

Sorry but I cant agree I'm sure there will be no end of who did more who looked better etc etc

Closed Thread