The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1041  
Old 11-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Argie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chatham, Canada
Posts: 263
I do not blame Cressida (strange name, btw) for having changed her priorities, whether she did so to spend more time with Harry or not. If she, indeed, left a potential career in dance to be with Harry she must have had very strong reasons to do so. We only have very superficial info about their relationship and we can not draw accurate conclusions based on that info.

On the other hand, most women who build strong careers end up wishing they had married and had children earlier in life, rather than around 40, as it often happens. I guess it's all a matter of taking risks when making life-changing decisions.
__________________

__________________
"I grew up in Europe, where History comes from." - Eddie Izzard.
Reply With Quote
  #1042  
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's not a bad thing to want a husband, a family and a semi secure future. But it shouldn't be the only thing you want. Hmmm the very recent precedent is why I liked Cressida, she has something going for her.
I disagree not just with you but with some others. I know women who "just" want to be wife and kids. There is also nothing wrong with deciding to give up your career to marry or have kids. It's all about what you. Not everyone can or wants to but if that's your choice it's just as good a decision as having a career. You make the choice not everyone else or society.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1043  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
I do not blame Cressida (strange name, btw) for having changed her priorities, whether she did so to spend more time with Harry or not. If she, indeed, left a potential career in dance to be with Harry she must have had very strong reasons to do so. We only have very superficial info about their relationship and we can not draw accurate conclusions based on that info.

On the other hand, most women who build strong careers end up wishing they had married and had children earlier in life, rather than around 40, as it often happens. I guess it's all a matter of taking risks when making life-changing decisions.
Cressida and Troilus?
__________________
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Reply With Quote
  #1044  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Argie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chatham, Canada
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Cressida and Troilus?
1602.
__________________
"I grew up in Europe, where History comes from." - Eddie Izzard.
Reply With Quote
  #1045  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yes but put your priorities in order. A girl who's first priority is to nail a Prince into marriage, doesn't have them in the right order IMO.
Maybe she isn't "nailing a prince" - such a cynical approach. Maybe she loves him. It's possible.

The comments about her "dance" career seem right to me. She may love it, and have graduated but that doesn't make her in the top elite and in such a competitive environment, that is what you need to be.

As for her new job - well the paps will be parked outside the offices and the company will get fed up with it so she may not be there for long.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1046  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie View Post
1602.
Classic!
__________________
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Reply With Quote
  #1047  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Troilus and Cressida a tragedy by William Shakespeare 1602. From Wiki

Troilus and Cressida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1048  
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: central valley, United States
Posts: 358
What do we really know? Zero, it is, after all the Mail. Let's assume the article is correct and she has taken a job as a PA. That does not mean she did so because of Harry. It could be she wanted or needed a paying job and was unsuccessful at finding one as a dancer. It could be that she got out of the college cacoon and realized she didn't want or wasn't talented enough to be a dancer. It could be that she wasn't comfortable w/ being in the limelight as a dancer. We also can't assume that being a dancer was her passion or even her ultimate career goal, we can assume she enjoyed dance and chose to study it, that doesn't mean she intended to pursue a career as a professional dancer. William chose to study history of art and geography then joined the military, for example. In this day and age what you study in college does not always equate w/ what your career is.
I admire the fact that she has a paying job.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1049  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If the article is true in a way Cressida has gone down in my estimations, she's given up something she's studied and clearly loves so she can potentailly marry Henry? I liked that Cressida had a bit of herself about her. If her goal is to marry Henry, then I'll be looking forward to her dress and that's about it.
Goal? Is there any possibility of love for Harry, for Cressida, for each other or another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
She's 24 about to turn 25, that is middle-age/senior citizens age in the dance world. She most likely is being realistic if that article is true
Nailed it bang on the head. She may have decided that the stringent ongoing training was never going to pay off with her dream of sucess. Perhaps she has realised she has the heart but not the talent to make a sucessful career out of dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yes but put your priorities in order. A girl who's first priority is to nail a Prince into marriage, doesn't have them in the right order IMO.
Since we don't know why she has given up dance as a career it seems more than a little premature to judge her motivations as vapidly shallow and grasping. Perhaps she has a injury that makes a future in dance impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Maybe she isn't "nailing a prince" - such a cynical approach. Maybe she loves him. It's possible.

The comments about her "dance" career seem right to me. She may love it, and have graduated but that doesn't make her in the top elite and in such a competitive environment, that is what you need to be.

As for her new job - well the paps will be parked outside the offices and the company will get fed up with it so she may not be there for long.
I agree on all three fronts.

What on earth is driving such mean spirited sniping. Is there absolutely no room for a perfectly reasonable excuse for her to have given up her career? Is there asbsolutely no room for the possibility that if she is Harry's choice it is because she loves him? And if she is not Harry's girlfriend then what do all the snipers have to say for and about themselves having vented such acid on Cressida's change in career?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #1050  
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Troilus and Cressida a tragedy by William Shakespeare 1602. From Wiki

Troilus and Cressida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't forget Chaucer, he used the name as well!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1051  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 415
Quote:
What on earth is driving such mean spirited sniping.
The jealousy that any woman 'dating' a Prince attracts is what does it ! The bile they seem to inspire is really sometimes beyond belief.

This forum is largely free of it, but elswhere in the comment pages of the gutter press, on the social media and on other fora it is actually quite frightening.

I feel sorry for any woman at the centre of it {particularly those who aren't yet married or engaged as they aren't yet officially 'protected'.}
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The jealousy that any woman 'dating' a Prince attracts is what does it ! The bile they seem to inspire is really sometimes beyond belief.

This forum is largely free of it, but elsewhere in the comment pages of the gutter press, on the social media and on other fora it is actually quite frightening.

I feel sorry for any woman at the centre of it {particularly those who aren't yet married or engaged as they aren't yet officially 'protected'.}
And sadly, the premise implies that Harry has nothing to offer a partner except wealth, security, a title. It is a backhanded slap at him as well.

If you are the type of woman that likes a bit of a rascal (and many of us do) he is funny, adventurous, loyal, hunky, healthy, charming, humble, a good bloke, thoughtful, values driven and anything but dull.

He's also been through adversity and seems to have improved by it. He seems to have few issues about being irrelevant barring all but the very worst of eventualities.

His situation with the press is a bit dodgy and if and when he becomes a full time royal, parts of the job will probably bore him. But he seems to deal with boredom by taking action rather than acting cranky and he has done well in the Army with fairly dull outpost lookout duty (at least dull till it gets very exciting).

He can have very bad judgement at times - and a life partner who can re-direct his high spirits will be important.

To assume only a social climbing muddle head would marry him does not do justice to the man he is. IMHO.
__________________
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Sadly there is an element of snobbery involved when a royal considers marrying or marries a commoner. Just think of the vitriol poured on Charlene, Daniel, Catherine, Maxima, Mary, Letitizia in the early days. Yes, some are now very popular but it was difficult in the beginning. Very different for noble ladies of the right religion marrying into the families - Stephanie, Matilde and Diana.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 470
If you want to get down to it, Cressida is a certified aristocrat herself,certainly more than Maxima and Mary.... but she does not present herself in that light but rather as a young,free spirited dancer so that part of her is not often brought up or at least not emphasized.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
If you want to get down to it, Cressida is a certified aristocrat herself,certainly more than Maxima and Mary.... but she does not present herself in that light but rather as a young,free spirited dancer so that part of her is not often brought up or at least not emphasized.
I wouldn't class her as an aristocrat as her father was a commoner and her mothers title is a courtesy title only.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Sadly there is an element of snobbery involved when a royal considers marrying or marries a commoner. Just think of the vitriol poured on Charlene, Daniel, Catherine, Maxima, Mary, Letitizia in the early days. Yes, some are now very popular but it was difficult in the beginning. Very different for noble ladies of the right religion marrying into the families - Stephanie, Matilde and Diana.
This is quite incorrect, and a fallacy imo. You apparently did not see some of the remarks and assumptions made about Mathilde and Stephanie upon the announcement of their prospective engagements ....the idea that of course the marriages must be arranged since these women were aristocrats, and perhaps the groom was even gay because of course there is no way a Prince could fall in love with a noblewoman.

The reasons Mathilde, Stephanie and Diana were not dragged through the coals was not because they were not commoners. It's because they did not come with the baggage and the controversy of quite a few of the other Royal consorts. That's not their faults.

I'm curious about what is meant by the "right" religion?

BTW, Cressida is the granddaughter of the 6th Earl Howe. According to Wiki and much of the world press, she is indeed an aristocrat.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
This is quite incorrect, and a fallacy imo. You apparently did not see some of the remarks and assumptions made about Mathilde and Stephanie upon the announcement of their prospective engagements ....the idea that of course the marriages must be arranged since these women were aristocrats, and perhaps the groom was gay because of course there is no way a Prince could fall in love with a noblewoman.

The reasons Mathilde, Stephanie and Diana were not dragged through the coals was not because they were not commoners. It's because they did not come with the baggage and the controversy of quite a few of the other Royal consorts. That's not their faults.

I'm curious about what is meant by the "right" religion?

Cressida is the granddaughter of the 6th Earl Howe. According to Wiki and much of the world press, she is indeed an aristocrat.
By "right" religion I mean that there was no requirement to change, not did cause controversy.. The only negative comments about Stephanie I remember were some horrible posts about how plain she was - and they were removed (quite rightly) and as for Diana - too young is the only one I can remember as it was so long ago.

Oh and the other negative brought up is the imposition of one's personal moral code onto prospective members of RF. And sadly this forum has a lot of that.

I give way to your greater knowledge re Matilde.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis, Brazil
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
BTW, Cressida is the granddaughter of the 6th Earl Howe. According to Wiki and much of the world press, she is indeed an aristocrat.
Wiki and some sectors of world press are not very reliable sources.

In my opinion, an aristocrat is someone who holds a title (which Cressida does not).

Of course, there's the concept of "untitled nobility", but that is an continental European and Brazilian thing. I don't think the Bonas family is "untitled nobility". Her mother is an aristocrat, but Cressida is just a commoner with nobel ancestors

Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall, for example, are commoners who happen to have The Queen as grandmother. Their mother being a Princess doesn't make them Royalty. So, Cressida's mother being a Lady and her grandfather an Earl will not make her an aristocrat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Wiki and some sectors of world press are not very reliables sources.

In my opinion, an aristocrat is someone who holds a titles (which Cressida does not).

Of course, there's the concept of "untitled nobility", but that is an continetal European and Brazilian thing. I don't think the Bonas family is "untitled nobility". Her mother is an aristocrat, but Cressida is just a commoner with nobel ancestor

Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall, for example, are commoners who happen to have The Queen as grandmother. Their mother being a Princess doesn't make them Royalty. So, Cressida's mother being a Lady and her grandfather an Earl will not make her an aristocrat.
Agree 100% on this.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,517
Cepe, Diana was not required to change religions because she was a member of the CoE marrying the Prince of Wales.

Mathilde was a Roman Catholic marrying a Roman Catholic, ditto Stephanie. In each case there would have been no reason to change a thing.

A quick run through of the Guillaume/Stephanie Mathilde/Philippe threads here on TRF as well as other message boards will confirm that quite a few posters posited these were indeed arranged marriage because they seemed so sudden, and because no one knew the groom(s) were dating. The sexual preferences of both men were and are questioned to this day.

This was never done in the case of non-aristocrat Letizia Rocasolano. The public didn't know they were dating until the day the engagement was announced, yet no one speculated that it was not a genuine love match.

BrazilianEmpire, my point about Cressida's title or lack of is simply that she is not considered from the working class. Her ancestors are not cab drivers, coal-miners, schoolteachers, etc.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]