Prince Harry: Relationship Rumours and Musings 2013-2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also dislike your generalisation of "in the Britain of 2013", most of us couldn't care less who Henry marries, most of the people in the UK only know him because of his Vegas stunt.

I hadn't realized that the state school system system had deteriorated so much that the general public would not know who Prince Harry was. Sad state of affairs Cool Britannia left us I guess.

Hasn't there also been a rumor-actual story-something, anyway- about the Queen requiring a years-long courtship before approving a marriage? If true, Harry has years to go with Cressida before he could marry her.

I think that's a rumour.

I hadn't realized that the state school system system had deteriorated so much that the general public would not know who Prince Harry was. Sad state of affairs Cool Britannia left us I guess.

In my 15 years of education I have never once been taught the current royal family and I don't know anyone that has. Seeing as we live in the UK, it is probably assumed that we know who our royal family are. Not sure how this leaves us in a "sad state of affairs" when frankly there are more important things to learn.

Oh come on now. You know darn well that Prince Harry's been know to most of the people in the UK since his birth, and that he's been well known to the public for his entire life, particularly after his mother's death.

I agree with you that not everyone who marries into the family will have their family go through as much tabloid trouble as Kate's has, but you're really going to imply that Prince Harry is only known because of one relatively minor tabloid story about his vegas trip?

That's nuts.

Relatively minor? You are joking right? :lol::lol: A naked Prince on the cover of every tabloid which dare, and practically every internet site you could find, is hardly minor. He was a laughing stock.

I disagree, you catch a stranger on the street and show him a picture of Henry he'd probably go who's that? Genuinely. People in the UK are not bothered by any other member of the RF than The Queen, Cambridges and George now. When Henry represented his grandmother at the Olympics last year, because he was called by his actual name people assumed he was foreigner. :flowers: We're not taught the names and members of the royal family at school anymore, they're not of interest to people unless they do something outrageous. When Henry marries he'll get coverage, but people have lives to lead and unless you're a fan of royalty it's the celebrities that get people talking. If I wasn't a royal watcher, I probably wouldn't know who he was.

Your 15 years of education were under Labour. Enough said.

Actually not enough said, the curriculum in the three schools I attended have remained exactly the same under the Conservative government we've had in power since 2010. Your comment makes no sense.

Last edited:
Your 15 years of education were under Labour. Enough said.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Even here in the US, I think it'd be hard pressed to find a boatload of people on the street that could tell you the names of Obama's daughters. TBH, I really don't have a clue what they are.

In my 15 years of education I have never once been taught the current royal family and I don't know anyone that has. Seeing as we live in the UK, it is probably assumed that we know who our royal family are. Not sure how this leaves us in a "sad state of affairs" when frankly there are more important things to learn.

Most of us during the course of our lives have had access to newpapers, television, magazines etc. We did not have to go to a class on who are the members of the royal family, they just are part of the fabric of the nation that gets absorbed into the subconsciousness. Maybe things a different in your part of Yrokshire but I doubt that the majority of Britons could not name most of the senior royals including Harry. If you were talking about the Kents or the Gloucesters or even the Wessexes I would agree with you, but I do think the general population can name the 2 sons of the Prince of Wales without having to take a class on it.

Most of us during the course of our lives have had access to newpapers, television, magazines etc. We did not have to go to a class on who are the members of the royal family, they just are part of the fabric of the nation that gets absorbed into the subconsciousness. Maybe things a different in your part of Yrokshire but I doubt that the majority of Britons could not name most of the senior royals including Harry. If you were talking about the Kents or the Gloucesters or even the Wessexes I would agree with you, but I do think the general population can name the 2 sons of the Prince of Wales without having to take a class on it.

Exactly. Especially anyone who's old enough to remember the death of Princess Diana- I have a hard time believing anyone who was old enough to be aware of what was going on in 1997 doesn't know who Prince Harry is.

Your comment was in reference to the "state school system" hence my comment that I have never been taught about the current royal family. Nothing was mentioned about newspapers, television, magazines etc. None of which Henry has been in since his return from Afghanisatan, we've barely seen him. When Henry was in the newspapers, tv and magazines for his Vegas trip, everyone got to know him. My 80+ grandmother even got to know him. :lol:

Just to add, we get the big city newspapers, magazines and tv in my part of Yorkshire dear. Don't you fret for us with your derogatory comments. ;)

My main point in this was that for Henry and his future wife and her family it'll be a lot easier than what William and Catherine are/been going through. Okay guys?

Last edited:
Relatively minor? You are joking right? :lol::lol: A naked Prince on the cover of every tabloid which dare, and practically every internet site you could find, is hardly minor. He was a laughing stock.

A laughing stock? From what I recall of the polling, most people, especially young people, thought it was all in good fun and didn't think worse of Prince Harry because of that story.

I think you're projecting your own rather disdainful view of Prince Harry and the royal family in general on the general population.

A laughing stock? From what I recall of the polling, most people, especially young people, thought it was all in good fun and didn't think worse of Prince Harry because of that story.

I think you're projecting your own rather disdainful view of Prince Harry and the royal family in general on the general population.

Yeah because most young people would love to afford a trip to Vegas, go gambling, strip off with some hookers in a hot tub and have all night fun. Henry became a role model for some people because of his good natured trip to Vegas.
I personally thought his stunt was ridiculous, stupid and dangerous, that coming from a young person. Sure he can have fun, party, etc but he's not just anyone is he.

I'm not sure how I have a disdainful view of the monarchy and Prince Henry by saying not many people would know his name or that he was a laughing stock when his naked body was splashed across newspapers, television, magazines and the internet. Most of that's the truth. Prince Henry's seems like a great guy, who's fought for his country. Don't know much else about him to have a disdainful or non-disdainful view about him frankly. :flowers:

I will repeat;

My main point in this was that for Henry and his future wife and her family it'll be a lot easier than what William and Catherine are/been going through. Okay guys?

Last edited:

I have to admit to having a fit of the giggles when Harry's Vegas antics hit the media and I'm older than dirt. Well, most dirt anyways. If Harry had been any other soldier getting ready to deploy to a combat zone, it would have been very less newsworthy and probably would have gone unnoticed by the general population. I can understand how it would be a huge embarrassment for the British Royal Family who Harry represents no matter where he goes.

That's life in a fishbowl and one of the downsides to being a member. It also makes me realize that it has to be one heck of a job to stay above reproach at all times and every minute of the day. I don't think I could do it.

Last edited:
Basically, most people know who he is but could give less of a sh.t. Is that what you meant Lumutqueen?

Basically, most people know who he is but could give less of a sh.t. Is that what you meant Lumutqueen?

You have to admit that there's less pressure on Harry than there is on William. Harry is not heir to be a future King nor are his future wife and children going to be instrumental in the future of the British Monarchy. His wedding will not create the mass frenzy that William's did. TBH, I bet his level of freedom to live his life is something William envies at times. NOT saying William is unhappy with his life but they are totally different with different expectations.

People like us that come to The Royal Forums are here because they do have an interest in things royal and the people that comprise it. Take my Mr. Remote for example. Only reason that he knows who Harry is comes from my interest in following the royals. Ask him what place he holds in line to the throne and his eyes will glaze over and sit there with a dumb look on his face while he quickly changes the channels. As I said before, I don't know the names of Obama's daughters but I have a vague idea they're out there. Its just not in my choice of interests to know more about them.

As I said before, I don't know the names of Obama's daughters but I have a vague idea they're out there. Its just not in my choice of interests to know more about them.

You raise an interesting point, and I can see what you mean. I don't know the name of the children of my country's PM or of the GG.

But, Harry and other royals are a bit different from other children/grandchildren of a head of state/head of state type person.

Most elected politicians are in the news for a limited time. Attention towards their families is limited - particularly outside of elections and scandals (when they're more scrutinized). Knowing the names of the children of Obama, George W, Clinton, etc, is less likely to occur because after eight (at the most) years these families typically begin to fade into the background. Their are exceptions of course; political families who are more dynastic in nature and thus whose names are more likely to register. People are likely to be able to list more Kennedys than Obamas.

With royals, however, the relationship and media exposure is different. The press didn't wait outside a hospital to get a first glimpse of Obama's children when they were born. Heck, even now I doubt they would do so if a president's wife gave birth. They did do that when Harry was born. They did take note of his various milestones, and scandals, and will very likely continue to do so for the rest of his life. This is a more normal relationship between the media, general public, and a monarchy.

I would expect that the vast majority of the British are able to identify HM, the DoE, Charles, Camilla, the Cambridges, and Harry. I would think that fewer younger people who aren't overly interested in royals would be able to identify Anne, the Yorks, or Edward (and even fewer would be able to identify Anne's children (or grandchildren), or Edward's family), but older non-royal watchers probably do.

As to the whole "people don't know who Prince Henry is" thing, that's different from people not knowing who Prince Harry is. Not knowing what his actual name is doesn't mean that you don't know who he is, since he's referred to as Harry almost exclusively within the media.

If Harry had not been the son of Princess Diana, I doubt there would be such global interest in him. Much of the public adoration of Princess Diana was lavished on her sons following her death. The media will do its beat to continue the attention, especially on the woman he marries. And if Harry marries anyone with a noble lineage, expect to be inundated with media stories comparing Kate to Harry's wife.

Long before Pippa and James were adults the media went after the Middletons lambasting their working class origins and ridiculing them - Carole especially was targeted as a social climber who didn't know correct upper class etiquette. The media hounded them long before their children were old enough to 'capitalize' on the interest in them.
While one would hope that the media would treat Cressida's family much as they treated Mike Tinsdale's family or Autumn's family or the families of the York girls' bfs', we know that the media did treat Sarah Ferguson far worse than you would expect for the wife of the 3rd child of the Queen. If Cressida is 'the one' for Harry (big if) I suspect the media will be all over her and as her family is quite colorful I suspect they'll be much written about as well, we already see reference to Cressida's mother being married 4 times and an 'it' girl in every article about Cressida.
My suspicion is that Harry's future wife will be compared to Catherine, no matter what, much as Diana and Sarah were compared to each other.

But I also think if you asked about their schooling or current job - you would not get much detail. Something about "in the army" or "flies a helicopter thingie?" or if they do know some detail - "cost us a pile to keep him safe while he pranced around Afghanistan" :lol:

Ladies, you crack me up :)
And Harry did too, with his Vegas stunt. It is a nice diversion to see a young royal misbehaving once. Brings some depth to the character. :p

I was sorry to see Chelsy go, I really liked her. I though she was extremely beautiful and she seemed to be as high-spirited as Harry, which gave me the impression they were a good match.

Ladies, you crack me up :)
And Harry did too, with his Vegas stunt. It is a nice diversion to see a young royal misbehaving once. Brings some depth to the character. :p

I was sorry to see Chelsy go, I really liked her. I though she was extremely beautiful and she seemed to be as high-spirited as Harry, which gave me the impression they were a good match.

Chesley was not only high-spirited as Harry, but parents are only marry once. Not like his current girlfriend Cressida. Her mother has been married four times.

Sometimes if you are from a divorce family your marriage is domed for divorced.

Seems like Prince Harry is like is mom concerning relationships.:sad:

Chesley was not only high-spirited as Harry, but parents are only marry once. Not like his current girlfriend Cressida. Her mother has been married four times.

Sometimes if you are from a divorce family your marriage is domed for divorced.

Ouch! :whistling::whistling:

Based on what?? As far as we know he had two serious girlfriends (incl. Cressida). Some people here act like he's George Clooney.

That is true. But it also true children with dysfunctional parents more often that not repeat unhealthy cycles.

I disagree, you catch a stranger on the street and show him a picture of Henry he'd probably go who's that? Genuinely.

I suspect things in your microcosm differ a bit from larger parts of the kingdom.

Yes because my microcosm happens to be the largest county in the country that Henry is a Prince of. Leave the county jokes out, they're pathetic. On topic please. ;)

That is true. But it also true children with dysfunctional parents more often that not repeat unhealthy cycles.

Not always, so let's give him a chance. As far as I can see he shows no signs of this just like William has shown no signs of repeating cycles. When he's as old as prince Albert, has several illigitimate children running around and not managed to stay in a relationship then we can all give up on him. *rant over* :flowers:

Last edited:
I suspect things in your microcosm differ a bit from larger parts of the kingdom.

Yes because my microcosm happens to be the largest county in the country that Henry is a Prince of. Leave the county jokes out, they're pathetic. On topic please. ;)

Where are the county jokes? :)

It doesn't seem like William is repeating his parents mistakes, and Harry is being careful about choosing a wife.

Care to elaborate??

I think we can all agree that Charles and Diana did not know each other very well before they were married, and they had virtually nothing in common. William has known Catherine for more than 10 years and they share a lot of interests and their outlook on life. Harry does not seem to be jumping into marriage with a woman he doesn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom