The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Off topic, sorry, but there is an excellent and very interesting article in the Financial Times (behind a paywall) that discusses the Knauf effect, the BRF's younger members' complaints about the Press and Jason comments on the relationship with the print media from St Lucia. However, I haven't got a subscription and I can't find the Royals and the Media thread on here, so I'm stuck!

Old 11-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Majesty

https://www.google.gr/url?sa=t&rct=j...sci2vX6gRpvGVg

"Harry touches down In a very Rainy Barbados"

Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry arrives in rain-lashed Barbados, but with spirits undiminished.

Prince Harry arrives in Barbados as part of Caribbean tour | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 11-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Hope the rain clears and we get some nature photos. I don't get the whole this tour is boring or repetitive. Not only should we remember that the itinerary is planned by the country but each tour has a goal. This isn't a simple good will. Harry is there to promote the new wildlife initiatives being started in the queen's name. So yes, there are a lot of nature visits, as that is the intention of the trip. I for one am enjoying seeing the wildlife and it seems so is Harry.

While this is definitely work and not a holiday. I think this is just the kind of tour he loves. Playing sports, meeting kids. Getting hands on with turtles. Definitely more interactive then say some of his brothers trips. And far more exciting to watch, where the Canadian tour other than the kids, the most interesting part was figuring out what Kate wore.

A tour with no female on the tour to clothes watch, which still draws attention, is good by me.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, and the next few days, with the opening of hospital buildings, a spectacular concert, a visit to a ranch helping troubled youth, a visit to a fantastic waterfall, a village in the hinterland of Guyana involving a hike, are also very different activities. I think Harry's done very well. A solo tour involves different skills and Harry has proved himself with the crowds that have turned out.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I enjoy seeing the fashion that royal women wear on tours, so those tours are always a little more exciting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I find the tour becoming somewhat repetitive. Harry's doing his best but the itinerary is stale.

Inspect honour guard, take in nature, play some sports, and the obligatory interacting with children.

Plus there is another week of this. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Yeah, I have to agree that the tour has become a little boring and repetitive. Unfortunately that's what happens during the longer tours. Having said that, Harry seems to be making the most of it and I'm sure the people he's meeting are excited.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry experiences an epiphany on this tour, according to Richard Palmer!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...n-Queen-family

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...y-independence

Some different things going on in the next few days. Maybe the next tour Harry undertakes he might have someone sharing it with him!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although I didn't care much for the some of the wording in the article from the Express, it does give some insight into what the future may hold for Harry. We have to remember that these are not "gospel" truths from Harry himself and only from an aide, it does have a ring of possibility to it.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry cornered into minute of silence for Fidel Castro – Royal Central

Conservative MPs are not pleased that Harry was maneuvered into this situation. IMO Harry wisely "Remained calm and carried on."
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 PM
Majesty

With a situation like Harry was faced with as they asked for a moment of silence for Fidel Castro, I think Harry handled it as best that he could. Kind of like "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" kind of thing.

Castro may not have been respected or liked by the way he lived his life and his actions towards the people and his country, but every life is precious.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Harry tours newly opened buildings at the Nightingale Children's Village in Barbados, a very special project. He's seen interacting and playing with these children, some very disabled, in a very cute way.

Caribbean tour: Prince Harry visits home for special needs children | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting in view of what we often speak about on the Future of the Monarchy thread: In an Express article, Richard Palmer is quoting an aide of the Prince's and commenting on the relatively large chunk of time he has spent on this tour officially repping for the Queen. Then Palmer quotes "He thinks he can do these more formal duties on behalf of the Queen while retaining an authenticity in his work meeting a wide range of people from leaders down to young people,” the aide said.

Meaning, Harry sees the official/ceremonial role as somehow less authentic. I wonder how authentic Rihanna will be?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Palmer's not quoting Harry directly though, only an aide, and even then Richard's paraphrasing. I think it's Palmer/the aide's rather clumsy way of saying that Harry really likes meeting all kinds of people and interacting with them, (as we've seen on this tour) but is getting more practised and at ease with the formalities of meeting Governor Generals, inspecting troops and conducting Investitures on behalf of Her Majesty. Harry's done quite a few of the latter on this tour.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm my opinion he has excelled on this trip and should do more of these types of "meet the people" trips. I know the Norwegian CP and QMII are good at making tours of local towns. Perhaps Harry can implement this when he returns to the UK.

I believe he is the most down to earth, natural and engaging royal. It is really a gift. Most royals aren't this way.
It is a pity that neither William and Kate possess this gift.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Majesty

Prince Harry visits Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Majesty

more from today
Prince Harry - "Our countries have a shared history, shared values and an affection which continues to bind us."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyifAakXUBATP-n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyiSelwXcAAKV4K.jpg

"Prince Philip and I send our warmest wishes to the Government and the people of Barbados" - Prince Harry, reading The Queen's message
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyie6_gXUAoxAaB.jpg
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...65701388570626

Read the full message from The Queen to the people of Barbados in the nation's 50th year of Independence
https://www.royal.uk/message-her-maj...y-independance

and meeting Rihanna
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyiXTutXgAA3SxN.jpg
Old 11-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm my opinion he has excelled on this trip and should do more of these types of "meet the people" trips. I know the Norwegian CP and QMII are good at making tours of local towns. Perhaps Harry can implement this when he returns to the UK.

I believe he is the most down to earth, natural and engaging royal. It is really a gift. Most royals aren't this way.
It is a pity that neither William and Kate possess this gift.
Actually, I think William, Kate and Harry balance each other out quite a bit. William does seem to be a very charming person meeting the people but he also has that reserve that will serve him well with being a monarch. The seriousness of the job and what he does will show the difference between William, the man and William, the PoW or monarch. Kate actually has all the markings of being a caring, warm consort and gives the aura of a team when she's alongside William. With Harry being so open and outgoing, those that meet him as he represents his Queen or, in the future, his father and his brother are definitely not going to be disappointed in who they got.

I do agree that the statement about Harry getting more familiar and at ease with doing the "official" side of royal duties as Prince Henry of Wales and being more at ease with them just means that with practice, comes confidence.

Thanks Alisa. The lightbulb just went off in my head as I read your statement how easily public "meet and greets" are for Queen Margrethe and how personable she is. In this regard, Margrethe and Harry are very much alike and thanks for pointing that out. I love "Queen Daisy".
Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry very briefly meets Rihanna ahead of the concert tonight.

Prince Harry meets Rihanna in Barbados ahead of huge concert | Royal | News | Daily Express

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterH...85990142988292

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ibbean-w453114
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Huge celebrations of Barbados 50th Independence Day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kensingto...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/CamillaTo...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Harry unveils the 50th Anniversary of Independence Monument in Barbados.