Prince Harry: Official Visit to Nepal - March 20-23, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Prince Harry's
Official Visit to Nepal
Spring 2016

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 59m59 minutes ago
Prince Harry will make an official visit to Nepal this spring. It will be the first time HRH has visited the country

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 58m58 minutes ago
There have been many royal visits to Nepal over the years including The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh & Prince of Wales

Interesting and welcoming news! I wonder if he'll travel to Nepal at the same time the Cambridges will make it to India and Bhutan as both announcements say "this spring" and the three countries are very closedto each other!

Interesting and welcoming news! I wonder if he'll travel to Nepal at the same time the Cambridges will make it to India and Bhutan as both announcements say "this spring" and the three countries are very closedto each other!

Possibly consecutively so the press Corp would not have to travel multiple times, they could go from one to the other while all in the same region.

They wouldn't do it at the same time because you don't want to them to compete for attention. Even when C&C are on tour, WK &H are almost very low profile back in the UK. Plus with the shared staff, it will be impossible to do it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think Harry will be going in either late April or Early May because in Mid May he will be Florida,United Station for the Invictus Games 2016

Evening Standard article saying Harry's trip to Nepal is in February.

Evening Standard article saying Harry's trip to Nepal is in February.

Works more and is much more of a people person than others related to him. Gotta love Harry! (Not bad to look at either!) ??

It will be good for Harry to have a look around this fascinating corner of the world and see what has been done with the local economy since the devastating earthquake of 2015. It was a body blow for the Nepalese really, as they rely so much on mountain climbing expeditions. I'm sure Harry will meet and greet in the sincere and enthusiastic way he always does.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
Prince Harry will visit #Nepal between Sunday 20th March and Wednesday 23rd March, his first visit to the country

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
In all, Harry will undertake four days of engagements between March 20 and March 23. It's his first trip to Nepal

Prince Harry's Tour of Nepal

Thank you for the update Rudolph. Question: Do visitors need a day or so to acclimate to the elevation when visiting Nepal?

Thank you for the update Rudolph. Question: Do visitors need a day or so to acclimate to the elevation when visiting Nepal?

From what I can gather off the internet, the affects of acclimatization are minimal for elevations of less that 2,000-2,400 metres.
Harry's visit will start at Kathmandu, which is 1,400 metres above sea-level so he should be alright.

"As previously announced, Prince Harry will visit Nepal in March 2016. His Royal Highness will carry out four days of official engagements, at the request of Her Majesty's Government, between Sunday 20th March and Wednesday 23rd March. It is the first time Prince Harry has travelled to Nepal.The tour will begin and conclude in Kathmandu, where Prince Harry will meet President Bidya Devi Bhandari. He will also meet those affected by the Nepal earthquakes of April and May 2015, to learn about efforts being made to restore buildings of historic significance and to assist disaster preparedness.
Having served alongside Ghurka soldiers in Afghanistan, Prince Harry will visit the British Gurkha Camp in Pokhara, where he will commend the bravery and service to the Crown of an exceptional group of soldiers. He will also learn more about Gurkha recruitment, and the assistance offered by Gurkha forces to surrounding communities in the aftermath of the earthquake.
Like all visitors to Nepal, Prince Harry is also keen to enjoy the country's stunning natural beauty. As such, he will have an opportunity to take part in a trek, and to visit one of Nepal's National Parks."

Looking forward to it :flowers:

The Ghurka visit will likely be the most significant personally to him. His working side by side with them in Afghanistan, and their service to the BRF, makes it a personal visit for him. I look forward to photos.

From what I can gather off the internet, the affects of acclimatization are minimal for elevations of less that 2,000-2,400 metres.
Harry's visit will start at Kathmandu, which is 1,400 metres above sea-level so he should be alright.

Thank you!

I'm sure Harry will acclimatise well and thoroughly enjoy his time in the country. The scenery looks stunning. I'm looking forward to lots of photos!

I always need a short version to try to keep track of the what and when. Here's my distilled version:
Sat, March 19th arrival and evening reception in Kathmandu
Sun Mar 20, Kathmandu meet with the President, visit earthquake/recovery sites, on locally to Bhaktapur for earthquake recovery material staging site and thence to a temporary housing site
Mon, Mar 31 on to Bardia National Park for rafting, biology research briefing and thence to Dalla and Pokhara for a a look at the natives and their ecotourism offerings. The afternoon (trekking) and overnight will be spent with Gurkhas
On Tuesday, he'll greet the dawn in the Himalayas, visit a Gurkha school, service camp and memorial.
Wed, the 1st, he's back in Kathmandu for the Girl Ghurka Summit, then locally to Bhaktapur to visit a technical school. That same afternoon he is in Kathmandu to visit a Children's hospital and then a closing reception at the UK embassy.
Those are some busy days!
Edit - Excellent source for info on the Gurkha Welfare Trust: https://www.gwt.org.uk/map

I just tried mapping the locations in the announcement (not all are supplied). I did the best I could and hope this link works: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kat...823b25802164!2m2!1d83.9955879!2d28.237987!3e0

Last edited:
I am looking forward to this trip. And I am sure Harry is as well :flowers:

This is the perfect kind of royal tour for him. Humanitarian but also getting out in those mountains, trekking, rafting, being involved with eco work. Something I am sure he is anxious to sink his teeth into. The time with the ghurkas of course will mean the most to him IMO, but it will be a great experience all around for him.

I like that he is also staying local instead of in a hotel or in an embassy

Last edited:
Whether this is a brilliant piece of PR or not, this idea of staying with a local family is a great idea, and I'm sure Harry will enjoy it. It will be especially appropriate that the family is connected to the Ghurkas. After the mess up over accommodation in France for the Somme commemorations it's good that this is settled anyway!

Come on Harry, we want to see lots of gorgeous pictures of you on this trip. Plenty of opportunities to get them too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether this is a brilliant piece of PR or not, this idea of staying with a local family is a great idea, and I'm sure Harry will enjoy it. It will be especially appropriate that the family is connected to the Ghurkas. After the mess up over accommodation in France for the Somme commemorations it's good that this is settled anyway!

The country isn't full of hotels, but for me staying with a Ghurka family is special. They have a special place in the British Army. My husband is ex-army and he cannot speak too highly of them. So loyal - and oh so dangerous! (that's the Ghurkas)

The country isn't full of hotels, but for me staying with a Ghurka family is special. They have a special place in the British Army. My husband is ex-army and he cannot speak too highly of them. So loyal - and oh so dangerous! (that's the Ghurkas)

Someone I know on another site, her Husband served w/them too during two different Tours in Afghanistan. When asked if all the stories about their fierceness and fighting prowess was true, he said if places were switched and he was a Taliban/ISIS Fighter that saw the Gurkas coming at his position w/the Battle Lust in their eyes, he'd drop his weapon, turn and run as far away as fast as possible. He also said once he was in a safe place, and he was beyond sure it was a safe place, then and only then would he check his pants.

Those who serve w/the Gurkas are very lucky to have done so, as from what I've learned over the years, that bond that's shared is taken literally to heart and you aren't a fellow soldier to them, but a Family Member. I am so looking forward to this trip for all the breathtaking scenery we're sure to see, but especially this part of it. It really is going to be special. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The map is great, AdmireUS!

What a special experience, to stay with a local family and to trek in their beautiful homeland. The visit has loads of variety planned.

Exactly Dman. I certainly don't think that everything that Continental and Scandinavian royalty do should be replicated by the BRF. However I do believe that transparency is so important nowadays and royals like the Spanish and Swedish get it. This private stuff should be documented.

PS Harry is back to the beloved blue suit I see!

^^^Wait a minute!!!! It's just one blue suit and the brothers are sharing it!!! William wore the khakis and the blue blazer today and Harry wore the suit to his meeting.

:previous: Well done, you have solved the mystery of the blue suit jacket TLLK :lol: (a piece of clothing that by this time could attend meetings and engagements by itself!)
However, I am not so sure about the suit pants. William prefers his suit trousers to be a bit on the tighter side (and a tad shorter in the leg) than Harry, who has stayed with the oversize look since his mid-teens. Therefore there must be two pairs of trousers belonging to the infamous blue suit rattling about somewhere; his pair is probably reposing on Harry's bedroom floor as we post! :D

:cool: That's me Curryong. Always on the look out for the REAL NEWS when it comes to the royals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom