Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and these weren't tame hand-reared lions; they were wild. Doesn't everyone know the difference? There were signs everywhere saying keep your windows shut. Apparently the guide had his window down, too, which might have given Katherine Chappell a false sense of security. I'm guessing she never saw "The Ghost and the Darkness".

Hopefully Harry won't make that sort of mistake.

There was a tv series here in the US a couple years ago, a documentary series actually, about when people take wild animals and try to raise them as pets and how said 'pets' ended up killing them. IIRC the show was called 'Fatal Attraction'.

LaRae

Will Harry be able to undertake investitures in the future. currently the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne, Prince Charles and Prince William do that so I see no reason why how we should not be able to at some point

Will Harry be able to undertake investitures in the future. currently the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne, Prince Charles and Prince William do that so I see no reason why how we should not be able to at some point

No reason why not. I didn't know DoE had ever done an investiture but DoY and DoGlos have carried them out overseas and outside of London/Windsor. Charles will probably need support, and in the future so will William

When has Philip done one? Having Charles, Anne and later on William doing the palace ones is a relatively recent occurrence and they made them shorter so the Queen would have to stand so long.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It would be great if Harry was appointed as Colonel of the Marines, but I still think he will be offered a regiment in the Household Cavalry. I look forward to seeing him ride at the Trooping of the Colour.

No wife. No job. Still living on royal handouts. MICHAEL THORNTON, a huge admirer, explains why the LAST thing Harry needs is ANOTHER gap year | Daily Mail Online

Following in William's footsteps. A gap year or two...

He is leaving in April for Australia.
Anyone else thinks Harry doesn't want to be around when all the fuss and attention is focused on Kate, William and new baby. :lol:

Uncle Harry missing George's 2nd birthday.

He seems to enjoy Australia a lot.

The Princess Royal is regimental colonel of the Blues and Royals but it is possible with the Life Guards as I believe Lord Guthrie is soon retiring.

I'm hoping a couple of the young royals get a regimental colonel appointment.

It would be great if Harry was appointed as Colonel of the Marines, but I still think he will be offered a regiment in the Household Cavalry. I look forward to seeing him ride at the Trooping of the Colour.

Nothing stopping him from being Royal Colonel of both. To succeed his aunt as Gold Stick is almost a given, considering his service with the Blues and Royals. It would be quite a psychological and cultural leap for an RHG/D officer to accept the appointment as Colonel of the Life Guards in succession to Lord Guthrie. I'm sure the time will come when we see him on parade at Trooping the Colour, but whether he will wear scarlet or blue remains to be seen!

I’m interested in what his new career will be, he should be making his announcement in the near future as his gap year is almost up.
He’ll have less restrictions than his brother and he can be based almost anywhere, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

We can guess he won’t take a desk job, because that’s why he quit the Army. I have a hunch he’ll take an adrenaline filled job that involves a lot of travel, which seems to be a major passion of his. Maybe he'll try to be a semi-professional polo player, and play tournaments in the UK, Australia, South America, and South Africa. Or if he still loves flying, he can try being an anti-poaching helicopter pilot in Africa for a conservation charity. Lots of other options, too.

As it was just announced that he will take part in campaigning for mental health issues that affect service personnel, I really think his main focus for "work" is going to be in that area. He already does quite a bit in this area and we'll see him soon in Orlando for the Invictus games.

How many 30 year olds can say they've instigated an international games competition? He's accomplished far more with these games and his work with Walking with the Wounded than a lot of people will in their lifetimes. Its not about the doing day to day drudge for a paycheck but what he can accomplish to make a difference.

The Princess Royal is regimental colonel of the Blues and Royals but it is possible with the Life Guards as I believe Lord Guthrie is soon retiring.

It seems the parachuters are on the list, and the POW is their colonel in chief, so even dear old Dad doesn't seem to be out of risk of getting the boot in favor of Harry or so the papers say :D

The marines he would be handing retirement papers to Grandpa. Philip is the Captain General (equivelant of the colonel but for the navy). It would be more understandable for him to take over a position from his 95 year old grandfather then his father so I think this the likelier of the two. But I honestly would rather see Andrew take that. Andrew may have had fiacos in trade, but his work with the navy at home and places like Canada, are to be commended. I think he would deserve his father's captain general mantle more than his nephew who has never served in the navy.

I hope he doesn't go marines. I know these are honorary position and many royals have never served at all and hold these positions. But IMO, it makes it more meaningful if they served in that force. I'd much rather see Harry in an army appointment, not a naval.

If Guthrie is looking to step down, that would be a Perfect fit for Harry (or air based one). Guthrie is 77 but colonel in chief is an honorary position, he hasn't been active duty in over a decade as it is.

Harry already has honorary Navy and RAF positions. I think Andrew and Edward get Household regiments before Harry.

When the Queen and Philip pass, there will be a huge movements with the honorary colonels. William will probably take over his father's Welsh regiments and that will open up the Irish guards and Philip's Grenadiers guards. Charles will take over as Colonel in Chief on the Household Division as King but the Queen holds several other colonel position plus many overseas.

Countessmeout; said:
Philip is the Captain General (equivelant of the colonel but for the navy).

If Guthrie is looking to step down, that would be a Perfect fit for Harry (or air based one). Guthrie is 77 but colonel in chief is an honorary position, he hasn't been active duty in over a decade as it is.

The Captain General Royal Marines is the ceremonial head of the Corps, not the equivalent of a colonel or captain RN. The rank insignia worn by the Captain General is that of a Field Marshal, far senior to colonel/captain RN.

No Blues and Royals officer would consider being a Life Guard (whether substantive or honorary) a perfect fit. Whilst they are both divisions of the Household Cavalry Regiment, they consider themselves absolutely distinct, maintaining as much difference as possible in dress and traditions.

Ultimately, the prince will serve in any capacity he is asked to - he could even end up colonel of the Royal Army Chaplain's Department, though there is no precedence for them ever having one, The Queen may do as she wishes with her own armed forces!

I meant that being appointed 'captain general' in the navy was the equivelant of being 'colonel in chief' of say an infantry group. Not that it was the equivelant of a colonel in the Royal navy. We are speaking honorary positions. The honorary head in the navy is not referred to as a colonel, they are referred to as a captain general, that was the point I was making.

Yes, too me, being colonel in chief of the life guards certainly makes more sense than a naval appointment. They are certainly distinct groups, but closer connection than the navy in which Harry has never served. While royals are often honorary positions in the military when they have never served, IMO it seems more fitting when a prince who HAS served, is appointed an honor in their own armed forces branch.

I meant that being appointed 'captain general' in the navy was the equivelant of being 'colonel in chief' of say an infantry group. Not that it was the equivelant of a colonel in the Royal navy. We are speaking honorary positions. The honorary head in the navy is not referred to as a colonel, they are referred to as a captain general, that was the point I was making.

Yes, too me, being colonel in chief of the life guards certainly makes more sense than a naval appointment. They are certainly distinct groups, but closer connection than the navy in which Harry has never served. While royals are often honorary positions in the military when they have never served, IMO it seems more fitting when a prince who HAS served, is appointed an honor in their own armed forces branch.

Military ranks and appointments are confusing for many people on a good day, let alone the rather unique terminology associated with honorary appointments held by members of the Royal Family.

By your logic of service-appropriate appointments then it ought to be the Earl of Wessex who succeeds the Duke of Edinburgh as Captain General Royal Marines as he was actually commissioned into the Royal Marines (albeit only for three months).

Let's wait and see what HM has in mind for her descendants.

If they knew his grades coming out of Eton, this rumour wouldn't last long

That's a pretty weird one. Yale doesn't need a unqualified Harry to fundraise. It has pretty large group of rich and famous alumni to help out

LOL I won't believe this rumour for a minute! I guess the press is running out id ideas!

Someone in the press corp must be having a hot flash....

LaRae

A reporter on Twitter said it's only because he couldn't get into medical school lol

:lol:

If he was going to go to a US university, he would be going some place like UCLA, USC, Miami - warm with hot girls not freezing his but off in Connecticut.

Reactions: eya
Given his gap year will be over in June, any ideas as to 'what next' for Harry?

He's not becoming a full-time royal so it's likely he'll get a job of some sort.

Whatever Harry does in a the future I doubt he will be attending Yale law school. I think that was a Twitter rumour. Although, wasn't George W. (Bush) a graduate of Yale?

Not sure how Harry would have gotten into Yale Law without a college degree..

Maybe Harry will end up having a diplomatic career. Similar to Andrew's previous position as trade envoy for UK

Even if Yale was going to over look his poor grades, I doubt the law school would over look his lack of an undergrad degree. You don't get to go straight into law school.

Besides Yale doesn't need any new prince to bulk up their already impressive alumni list. Five presidents and one current candidate graduate (Bill and Hillary Clinton graduated law school, both Bushes went there, Taft and Ford). Celebrities like Jodie foster, Merryl Streep, Paul Newman and Oliver Stone. Noah Webster, Eli Whitney, Dr Spock, Anderson Cooper and so many more. As well as a few royals including princess Vic of Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom