The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The thing is though monarchy is hierarchical. Charles or William could sit around and play cards all day and they’d still be the heirs to the throne.

It’s all the other royals who have no official role who need to justify themselves.

I mean Harry’s going to need more than a cheeky smile and a laugh to be the ‘saviour’ of the monarchy.
Correct. And I think that is what is now taking place. With a wife he deeply loves by his side he is inspired. He will 'justify' his royal existence. Not sure he will be the ‘saviour’ of the monarchy (that's up to Charles and William).

Old 04-27-2018, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

They will do what the RF wants them to do. At present, they are just starting to increase towards full time royal work, but at present, Charles is still payng for them and I'm sure he does not want to pay out more than he has to. When he is King, the situation will change and there will be more money for engagements.. and as the 2 sons of the King, Will and Harry will be Charles' 2 big supports, when he takes on his role as King. But I don't think either of them will ever really bust a gut to "do all they can" the way their father has done...

Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the way William and Harry has been allowed to do what they want instead of taking on duties like their aunt and uncles is due to circumstances and the longevity of QEII. We are seeing more duties being passed down as the DoE retired. Harry’s appointment to the Royal Marines for example. And his appointment as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and President of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust. Some of these is a combination of their passion and the appointment from above. Which can take time to develope. Part of it is maturity and a proven record.

While some argue that Harry hasn’t done much, but the truth of it is we know he does a quite bit behind the scenes that we don’t see and his work does has quite an impact. And that’s not just from us assuming because we see he sets up charitable endeavors from nothing and foster their growth. We’ve also heard from people like Chantelle that talks about how Harry goes and works with them often, but doesn’t bring the cameras or do so “officially” often.

From Sentebale to IG. He started them from nothing, from when they are just an idea. Sentebale is now an independent and fully functional charity to a point where Harry doesn’t have to do a lot of hand holding. But it’s certainly special enough that if the charity is in trouble, I have no doubt he’d step in again like he has done in the past to turn it around. As for IG, do I need to say more? We constantly hear the injured soldier talk about how this gave them a purpose and saved their lives after returning either losing body parts or having PTSD. I know people like to dismiss it as something that won’t last forever, but let me remind you that Harry himself has said that it’ll only last as long as there is as a need. It’s not a bad thing if we start to have less soldier returning with life changing injuries. However, that doesn’t take away from the impact that’s IG has already had, and will continue to have as long as it’s running.

As for mental health, yes, it’s great that they were talking about this issue, but I never saw nearly the impact it did when Harry shared his own story about it. The programs are only effective if they are being used. The stigma continues to be the biggest problem. It’s great to talk about a topic publicly. But when someone with Harry’s platform comes out and talks about his own struggles and how this helped him, that’s a whole new ballpark. And it was very brave for him to come out and talk about his problems.

So what is the point of Harry? I would argue he’s the human aspect of the monarchy. His ability to connect with people, and his ability to understand pain and suffering. Which is essential to those that aren’t the monarch. The monarch will have their official duties as well those that support the monarchy. However, those that support the monarch do take on a more charitable role because they aren’t the head of state.

I’m not sure if this is done on purpose or jus coincidence, but I do feel that the younger generation tend to have a coming of age and be given more responsibilities as they marry.

ETA: I don’t agree with the assessment that the heir or the monarch wouldn’t have justify their existence. QEII hasn’t had to because she’s been devoted for decades. Even Charles has to justify his existence.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted a few comments. This thread is to discuss what's next for Harry. If you wish to discuss William or Kate's future, please take it to their duties and roles thread.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Harry, like his brother William, is now a full-time working royal. It will take time to increase the number of engagements, but Meghan's arrival gave him the rare opportunity to visit places throughout the UK to introduce his fiancee.

However, things change and, with the Queen scaling back her workload, Charles is picking up more and more engagements that had been HM's. That has meant handing more of the Duchy of Cornwall work to William so he splits between that and other Foundation Engagements.

Harry (and later Meghan) gets to pick up the other engagements his father used to do such as the ANZAC Dawn Parade and Memorial Service, etc. as well as their Foundation work.