Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So probably not a day goes by that I don’t read about how important Harry is to the monarchy. Charles only has two children and Harry’s basically going to be William’s second in command.

So if all of this is true why isn’t Harry doing more than his aunts and uncles? Why isn’t he doing 400 engagements a year?

I’m not a Harry devotee so maybe someone can enlighten me.

Last edited:
You have a bee in your bonnet for some reason...this thread is over a year old!

LaRae

You have a bee in your bonnet for some reason...this thread is over a year old!

LaRae

I’m only asking because ‘what’s next’ for William always seems like a hot topic.

I wonder if Harry is so important to the monarchy why isn’t he doing more than what he’s currently doing.

This is the thread to ask the question.

Well you should already know the answer to that one...it's been talked about a zillion times at least when it comes to any of them. They do what they are allowed and/or asked to do. There is X funds in the pot for them to all draw from. The Queen (and I assume Charles) determine what is or isn't feasible.

LaRae

I’m only asking because ‘what’s next’ for William always seems like a hot topic.

I wonder if Harry is so important to the monarchy why isn’t he doing more than what he’s currently doing.

This is the thread to ask the question.

Good question. :huh: The way I have seen it: the Queen's children pretty much picked up a significant workload once they finished with careers. The careers ended for a variety of reasons, but once done, they focussed on raising families and royal life events. They did so as the children of the reigning monarch.

William and Harry seem to have followed a similar trajectory: careers and then a focus on raising a family. However, what sets them apart is the fact that they are not the direct children of the reigning monarch, but of the heir.

At this point how one feels about what should be playing out in their lives depends on all manner of biases and rationales (as I see it). It could be argued that since they are sons of the heir they are not yet 'required' to work for the monarchy in the same way as the Queen's children (though the Queen's children could be retiring and Charles' sons picking up that slack). Money is often brought up (as has been done) but the best I can make out is that that argument is not based on facts, just assertions. Meaning if William and Harry were willing to do more there is likely (I believe) money to support them in the activity: that's my assertion.

I think the bottom line is both William and Harry (at least up to now, and that may change as they bask in the warmth of public acceptance, affection and interest) have not been willing to work much for the monarchy. They do what is the bare minimum. William's failure to be more engaged has always been ascribed to his career, but now it's to do with raising a family (which really shouldn't impact, as we all know everyone does both: work and family). It's Harry who is doing very little since the army but no one seems to mind.

I think we will start to see a new Harry with his marriage. He seems inspired and will likely start to engage the life he has up-to-now deflected away from. :flowers: So my first answer is: Harry has taken a bit of time to 'mature' into his destiny role. With marriage I think he will answer that question as he carves out his place with his activities with his new wife. Just a hunch. I think it's taken Harry this length of time to find his footing, and marriage is a big help to him in that regard.

Last edited:
Good question. :huh: The way I have seen it: the Queen's children pretty much picked up a significant workload once they finished with careers. The careers ended for a variety of reasons, but once done, they focussed on raising families and royal life events. They did so as the children of the reigning monarch.

William and Harry seem to have followed a similar trajectory: careers and then a focus on raising a family. However, what sets them apart is the fact that they are not the direct children of the reigning monarch, but of the heir.

snip

I think the bottom line is both William and Harry (at least up to now, and that may change as they bask in the warmth of public acceptance, affection and interest) have not been willing to work much for the monarchy. They do what is the bare minimum. William's failure to be more engaged has always been ascribed to his career, but now it's to do with raising a family (which really shouldn't impact, as we all know everyone does both: work and family). It's Harry who is doing very little since the army but no one seems to mind.

I think we will start to see a new Harry with his marriage. He seems inspired and will likely start to engage the life he has up-to-now deflected away from. :flowers: So my first answer is: Harry has taken a bit of time to 'mature' into his destiny role. With marriage I think he will answer that question with his activities with his new wife. Just a hunch.

From what i know of Harry, he's been a fun-loving and immature guy who has only relatively recently (past few years) found something meaningful to do with his life. I think with William and Kate, they have been enjoying a few years of quiet and relative anonymity before jumping into the fray of royal life. QEII has been at it for 70 years--can you imagine? Doesn't seem like a big deal to take it easy for a few years before giving decades of your life to the public,

From what i know of Harry, he's been a fun-loving and immature guy who has only relatively recently (past few years) found something meaningful to do with his life.

Exactly so. :ermm: Harry has very much 'been at sea', I think. This has changed. He now has emotional ballast with his wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though monarchy is hierarchical. Charles or William could sit around and play cards all day and they’d still be the heirs to the throne.

It’s all the other royals who have no official role who need to justify themselves.

I mean Harry’s going to need more than a cheeky smile and a laugh to be the ‘saviour’ of the monarchy.

The reality is Harry isn't important yet. Right now he is nothing but one of 8 grandchildren of the queen.

His Aunt and Uncles grew up as the children of the reigning monarch. They were expected to take on duties from an early age. And they have all been at it for decades. Long before they had children. The coming of nieces and nephews may have pushed them down the ladder of succession, but that doesn't mean they stop working suddenly either. They have established their career which is supporting their charities and patronages. They aren't going to retire to a country estate simply as their nephews are old enough to work. No more then the Gloucesters or Kents retired when the queen's kids started.

The reality is the royal family is crowded. There is a whole boat load of working royals. And there is no Immediate need for Harry to do more work, or money possibly. The queen doesn't feel any need to force the older generation to retire to make room for them.

Harry wont be important until Charles is king. And then he will be the second most senior 'adult' royal. Until his nephews and niece are old enough to work (likely will be 30 or close like dad), that means Harry will be important. But right now that isn't the case. Right now he is just one of many. And if they keep to 'slim down' and don't let people like Beatrice take duties, he will be needed even more as the older ones retire. As the Gloucesters and Kents will retire, and possibly Anne, before George and his siblings are ready to be full working royals.

To be honest Harry's appointment in the commonwealth position seems to be a clear point to where he is going. Harry will likely be the Edward now, the one who is sent abroad, and Meghan, to not only attend weddings and such but also major events. When his father is king, and William is busy with his position as prince of wales, Harry will have a path of his own. His patronages already have a huge focus on the commonwealth like Invictus.

Even in 'heads together' it isn't simply a general focus 'on mental health'. PTSD and other issues for soldiers is his main area. He works with Invictus, walking with the wounded, Senteble, with Tusk. With other veterans work. He will likely take over some of his Uncle Andrew's roles with the commonwealth military and navy groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though monarchy is hierarchical. Charles or William could sit around and play cards all day and they’d still be the heirs to the throne.

It’s all the other royals who have no official role who need to justify themselves.

I mean Harry’s going to need more than a cheeky smile and a laugh to be the ‘saviour’ of the monarchy.

Correct. :flowers: And I think that is what is now taking place. With a wife he deeply loves by his side he is inspired. He will 'justify' his royal existence. Not sure he will be the ‘saviour’ of the monarchy (that's up to Charles and William).

Last edited:
They will do what the RF wants them to do. At present, they are just starting to increase towards full time royal work, but at present, Charles is still payng for them and I'm sure he does not want to pay out more than he has to. When he is King, the situation will change and there will be more money for engagements.. and as the 2 sons of the King, Will and Harry will be Charles' 2 big supports, when he takes on his role as King. But I don't think either of them will ever really bust a gut to "do all they can" the way their father has done...

I think the way William and Harry has been allowed to do what they want instead of taking on duties like their aunt and uncles is due to circumstances and the longevity of QEII. We are seeing more duties being passed down as the DoE retired. Harry’s appointment to the Royal Marines for example. And his appointment as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and President of the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust. Some of these is a combination of their passion and the appointment from above. Which can take time to develope. Part of it is maturity and a proven record.

While some argue that Harry hasn’t done much, but the truth of it is we know he does a quite bit behind the scenes that we don’t see and his work does has quite an impact. And that’s not just from us assuming because we see he sets up charitable endeavors from nothing and foster their growth. We’ve also heard from people like Chantelle that talks about how Harry goes and works with them often, but doesn’t bring the cameras or do so “officially” often.

From Sentebale to IG. He started them from nothing, from when they are just an idea. Sentebale is now an independent and fully functional charity to a point where Harry doesn’t have to do a lot of hand holding. But it’s certainly special enough that if the charity is in trouble, I have no doubt he’d step in again like he has done in the past to turn it around. As for IG, do I need to say more? We constantly hear the injured soldier talk about how this gave them a purpose and saved their lives after returning either losing body parts or having PTSD. I know people like to dismiss it as something that won’t last forever, but let me remind you that Harry himself has said that it’ll only last as long as there is as a need. It’s not a bad thing if we start to have less soldier returning with life changing injuries. However, that doesn’t take away from the impact that’s IG has already had, and will continue to have as long as it’s running.

As for mental health, yes, it’s great that they were talking about this issue, but I never saw nearly the impact it did when Harry shared his own story about it. The programs are only effective if they are being used. The stigma continues to be the biggest problem. It’s great to talk about a topic publicly. But when someone with Harry’s platform comes out and talks about his own struggles and how this helped him, that’s a whole new ballpark. And it was very brave for him to come out and talk about his problems.

So what is the point of Harry? I would argue he’s the human aspect of the monarchy. His ability to connect with people, and his ability to understand pain and suffering. Which is essential to those that aren’t the monarch. The monarch will have their official duties as well those that support the monarchy. However, those that support the monarch do take on a more charitable role because they aren’t the head of state.

I’m not sure if this is done on purpose or jus coincidence, but I do feel that the younger generation tend to have a coming of age and be given more responsibilities as they marry.

ETA: I don’t agree with the assessment that the heir or the monarch wouldn’t have justify their existence. QEII hasn’t had to because she’s been devoted for decades. Even Charles has to justify his existence.

Last edited:
I've deleted a few comments. This thread is to discuss what's next for Harry. If you wish to discuss William or Kate's future, please take it to their duties and roles thread.

Harry, like his brother William, is now a full-time working royal. It will take time to increase the number of engagements, but Meghan's arrival gave him the rare opportunity to visit places throughout the UK to introduce his fiancee.

However, things change and, with the Queen scaling back her workload, Charles is picking up more and more engagements that had been HM's. That has meant handing more of the Duchy of Cornwall work to William so he splits between that and other Foundation Engagements.

Harry (and later Meghan) gets to pick up the other engagements his father used to do such as the ANZAC Dawn Parade and Memorial Service, etc. as well as their Foundation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom