Prince Harry: Future Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One sure thing is that his best man, or supporter as royal groomsmen are called, will undoubtedly be William. Then we wonder what he would wear. I wonder, if he marries Meghan (yes I know they aren't engaged yet, but I believe it's only a matter of time), who the bridesmaids would be. Don't they usually have mostly little girls nowadays with maybe one adult? Does Meghan have a close female friend perhaps from Suits? I heard she doesn't get on with her half sister. She could have any of the Queen's great granddaughters as the little bridesmaids/flower girls. Zara's daughter, Peter and Autumn's, or Princess Charlotte. Would her father walk her down the aisle? (I don't like the term given away, it smacks of the bride being property, as indeed at one time she was). I could see Meghan's mum walking her down. My sister-in-law had my mother-in-law walk her down the aisle.

Oh and just a FYI for the American forum members. Hope I don't offend anyone, but I don't want people to think the term is disrespectful, because it is the term used. Somebody mentioned that Meghan is biracial. In the UK the term generally used is mixed race. It's just a national difference, like in Britain we say black, not African American. Nobody means anything nasty if you hear that. It is the official term used for example on job application forms for equal opportunities monitoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and just a FYI for the American forum members. Hope I don't offend anyone, but I don't want people to think the term is disrespectful, because it is the term used. Somebody mentioned that Meghan is biracial. In the UK the term generally used is mixed race. It's just a national difference, like in Britain we say black, not African American. Nobody means anything nasty if you hear that. It is the official term used for example on job application forms for equal opportunities monitoring.

Thanks, Princess Squirrel, for that information. I did not know that. None of those terms though are offensive in the least to me. Its just a difference between English and American speech. We say elevator and its lift in the UK. We have trunks on cars, you have boots. To be honest, I actually like the expression "going to the loo" better and I'd much rather hear "chatting up the birds" rather than "chasing chicks".

With all of us waiting with baited breath for an engagement announcement, sometimes knowing these little tidbits help immensely because if we think this thread is crazy now, its going to get even wilder as more and more people are drawn into a discussion here. :D

One sure thing is that his best man, or supporter as royal groomsmen are called, will undoubtedly be William. Then we wonder what he would wear. I wonder, if he marries Meghan (yes I know they aren't engaged yet, but I believe it's only a matter of time), who the bridesmaids would be. Don't they usually have mostly little girls nowadays with maybe one adult? Does Meghan have a close female friend perhaps from Suits? I heard she doesn't get on with her half sister. She could have any of the Queen's great granddaughters as the little bridesmaids/flower girls. Zara's daughter, Peter and Autumn's, or Princess Charlotte. Would her father walk her down the aisle? (I don't like the term given away, it smacks of the bride being property, as indeed at one time she was). I could see Meghan's mum walking her down. My sister-in-law had my mother-in-law walk her down the aisle.

Why would she have her mother walk her down :ermm: Usually you only have that if your dad is dead, or you don't have a relationship with him. She is said to be very close to her father so I see no reason he wouldn't get to.

Meghan has plenty of adult friends. Jessica Mulroney who is her friend as well as stylist. Lindsay Roth who she met when they were in University together. Heather Dorak. Benita Litt whose daughters seem to be Meghan's godchildren. Then there are celebrities like Serena Williams and Priyanka Chopra that she is friends with.

As for children there are plenty to choose from. I'd think, or at least hope, at least half the kids would come from her side. She has 2 goddaughters. The Mulroneys have 3 small kids who is close to (pics of her and Isabel on her Instagram page). But yes George and Charlotte, and other kids on Harry's side are likely. Harry has his own godchildren.

One other thought and I've seen it happen at weddings where the parents are divorced is that both the mother and the father walk their daughter down the aisle. I like it because it gets away from, as you've said, the "giving away the bride" as a possession thing which is anachronistic.

insisting on that red tunic. It stood out

I'm afraid I disagree, in the kaleidoscope of colour in the Abbey that Day [especially the Reds of other Military dress uniforms], the sombre but elegant Black would have been particularly visible and striking..

But as you say, at least it wasn't the Navy suit...

Last edited:
Good to know there are plenty of candidates. Glad I am not the one who has to choose lol. We had 20 guests at our wedding. Much easier that way. Harry and Meghan have no choice but to have a big wedding (yes even St George's is a big wedding, when you think to most people 150 is fairly big/normal!)

Meghan has a good relationship with both her parents. I know in some weddings both parents walk the bride down the aisle but I don't know if they'd do that--I think it would be her father.
It seems to be all over the place as far as the makeup of bride's attendants when I looked at various weddings. I think we'll get whatever Meghan & Harry want.

Another venue question-would the chapel at Sandhurst be large enough?

Another venue question-would the chapel at Sandhurst be large enough?

"In 1965 the Chapel was accorded the title of Royal Memorial Chapel, Sandhurst. In contemporary times, whilst its main function remains as the Academy's Chapel, as a Royal Chapel, and seating over 1000 people, it is, with the exception of Westminster Abbey and St George's Chapel, Windsor, the largest of all the Royal Chapels."

Royal Memorial Chapel Sandhurst

Actually, I think the Queen knew what she was doing insisting on that red tunic. It stood out. You knew where William was. It looked so good on him. It was impressive. William and Harry together just looked so dapper and refined as they headed up the aisle together and the red was such a contrast next to Kate's pure white.

It could have been so much worse. William could have insisted on wearing his ever faithful blue suit. :D

It stood out, but not in a positive way. I felt that William drowned in that red tunic. And Harry looked like a deer caught in the headlights, he seemed so nervous and he wasn't the one who was marrying :D

I'm afraid I disagree, in the kaleidoscope of colour in the Abbey that Day [especially the Reds of other Military dress uniforms], the sombre but elegant Black would have been particularly visible and striking..

But as you say, at least it wasn't the Navy suit...

Exactly. I, though, had hoped for William to wear his RAF suit but instead he turned up in this awful scarlet red tunic. At the time I already thought that it looked like he had obeyed an order instead of really wanting to wear it himself, and so it apparently was - he did not appear to look very comfortable in it. It also clashed immensely with the interior of the Abbey and also did not match at all with Catherine's wedding gown. A BIG MISS.
For the record: I also disliked the tunic on Captain Mark Phillips. It hurts the eyes.

At least he wore his Army suit when they were in the Aston Martin, that suited him much better.

When Harry marries, I hope he will wear a uniform that suits him.

Yes it's certainly going to be interesting how far Meghan, as an American, will be expected to adapt her preconceptions of weddings to the British (as well as BRF) customs.

Though I'm no expert, I do know a little bit about it, being a British woman married to an American. For example, in the US, the bridesmaids come down the aisle ahead of the bride, so that everybody's main focus is the bride. In the UK of course, the bridesmaids follow the bride, holding the train etc. Do Canadians follow the US or UK tradition? I wonder in what order they had the procession with Autumn Phillips?

Another one I was surprised at the first time I attended an American wedding was that only the best man made a speech. We also get a speech from the father of the bride, and the groom. At my wedding I spoke too lol!

As for bridal showers and rehearsal dinners, we don't have these. We have a hen night (bachelorette party) and a stag party (bachelor party), though a lot of hens and stags make a whole mini break of it these days, like a last holiday as a singleton. City breaks are very popular (especially Brighton), either in the UK itself, or abroad.

Maybe Meghan and Prince Harry could arrange their own rehearsal dinner, exactly how they want it, with just their close friends and family. As it's nothing official, they can absolutely please themselves, and good for them if they do.

Yes it's certainly going to be interesting how far Meghan, as an American, will be expected to adapt her preconceptions of weddings to the British (as well as BRF) customs.

Though I'm no expert, I do know a little bit about it, being a British woman married to an American. For example, in the US, the bridesmaids come down the aisle ahead of the bride, so that everybody's main focus is the bride. In the UK of course, the bridesmaids follow the bride, holding the train etc. Do Canadians follow the US or UK tradition? I wonder in what order they had the procession with Autumn Phillips?

Another one I was surprised at the first time I attended an American wedding was that only the best man made a speech. We also get a speech from the father of the bride, and the groom. At my wedding I spoke too lol!

As for bridal showers and rehearsal dinners, we don't have these. We have a hen night (bachelorette party) and a stag party (bachelor party), though a lot of hens and stags make a whole mini break of it these days, like a last holiday as a singleton. City breaks are very popular (especially Brighton), either in the UK itself, or abroad.

Maybe Meghan and Prince Harry could arrange their own rehearsal dinner, exactly how they want it, with just their close friends and family. As it's nothing official, they can absolutely please themselves, and good for them if they do.

I could see Meghan's friends in the US or Toronto doing a shower for her.

As for a rehearsal dinner they could certainly organize it themselves. Especially since I expect there will be so many out of town guests from the US and Canada. Bringing up Zara again, she and Mike had a cocktail party on a yacht the night before their wedding.

That not an American thing, that's more of a personal preference or social group thing. I've been to a number of weddings where much of the bridal party gave speeches at the reception.

Princess Squirrel thanks for sharing your British/American wedding experience. I find that fascinating.

My gut says that Meghan and Harry's wedding ceremony will follow the previous BRF templates. I could see them adding a personal touch here and there, a special reading, etc., but the big things will probably look much like Kate and William's.

I think where they'd really be able to show their individuality is at the reception. That I expect to be a nice mix of British and American customs. But of course we won't get to see that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Choice is so the right word. Of course certain protocols in a royal wedding should be respected but if Meghan wanted to walk down the aisle alone, oh well, her choice. Today is much different. Funny, right now, my daughter is planning her wedding. I always tell her, “it’s your choice”. Every little girl dreams of this day.

How did William's uniform not match with Catherine's wedding gown? It was a very traditional wedding dress and veil--anything formal would go with it.

I think scarlet red and white clash - similar to that trend a few years back that a bride carried a bouquet of dark red roses. Really? DARK RED? Who in his right mind thinks of that? Doesn't suit at all. And neither does scarlet red.

A dark uniform would have been much better. I still think it's a pity that he didn't wear his RAF uniform.
At least he went in dark in the Aston Martin.

I hope that Harry won't have to go into that territory.

I've deleted quite a few off-topic posts - feminism, titles for Harry's wife and comparisons to other royal brides. Let's keep the thread on Harry's future wedding, please. Also if you wish to discuss the jewelry and tiaras Harry's wife will wear, take it to the Tiaras and Jewels for Prince Harry's future wife thread.

Last edited:
Pre-wedding parties/dinners don't seem to be unusual; just slightly different from an American 'rehearsal dinner' I suppose. Mike and Zara had theirs on the Britannia. And I've also seen pictures of guests attending a pre-wedding party/dinner on the eve of William and Catherine's wedding (including a few who did not attend the wedding itself, if I remember it correctly). However, William and Catherine weren't present themselves. It was the Queen who hosted.

So, I am sure there will be some kind of pre-wedding dinner/party for Harry and his bride. As there will be a smaller number of royal guests than at his brother's wedding, I expect they will have a little more leeway in the exact form it will take. Important question will be whether a pre-wedding-dinner needs to be organized for attending royals (hosted by the Queen or the Prince of Wales?) or that they can forgo that and just have their own pre-wedding event.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call it 'following the American thing', but yes our bridesmaids go ahead. If the bride actually has a train long enough needing aid sorting it out, someone at the back like a wedding planner, or who opens the doors into the church, usually straightens for her.

The british royals do have a dinner the night before the wedding. Though the bridal couple rarely attends. Its usually for the out of town vip guests. And of course there is a practice at the church for the wedding. Rehersal dinners, at least in Canada, are not some big formal event. Or not always. Very often it is just out of simple necessity. It is usually the immediate family, and those involved in the wedding. After they spend the day practicing at the church, and if the family does DIY to save money, helping get church ready, they feed their helpers. Been maid of honor twice. Once we had a bbq at the family house and after dinner the minister (her uncle) sat down and went over details as he had been unable to attend the earlier practices. The other we had some take out bbq food at the church after rehersing, and after spending hours getting the reception ready as they had a small budget.

The Queen hosted the foreign royals at a hotel the evening before William’s wedding. Charles and Camilla stopped by for a little bit. Kate spent the evening at the Goring with her family. William and Harry were at Clarence House. They went and met the crowd outside that night. There wasn’t any sort of rehearsal dinner with both families like they do in the US.

For a royal wedding, I can see why a rehearsal makes sense but for a 'normal' wedding, I don't see the need for it (we did fine without rehearsal). Future husband was taking exams on the day before the wedding instead (they were so kind to reschedule, it was initially scheduled for the day itself) :flowers:

For a royal wedding, I can see why a rehearsal makes sense but for a 'normal' wedding, I don't see the need for it (we did fine without rehearsal). Future husband was taking exams on the day before the wedding instead (they were so kind to reschedule, it was initially scheduled for the day itself) :flowers:

Usually just a quick walk down in the church, to get positioning and such right. Don't actually rehearse the entire ceremony. Also a last chance to work out logistics with the minister. Like who is doing what during it. Since everyone is usually in town by the night before the wedding anyways, usually not hard to get everyone together for an hour or so to practice. And then you go out and eat. Around here, the days of planned 'rehersal dinners' which were usually hosted by groom's family, are done. If there is a church rehersal, those there will naturally just eat afterwards, can be called a rehersal dinner, as its part. Also makes sense if you have tons of out of town guests, to feed them.

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s an ‘American thing’ to have bridesmaids come before the bride.
I’m in Northern Ireland and every wedding I have attended has had the bridesmaids enter first and then the bride. When I get married in January we will do the same!

I think it depends on the venue and how many people are participating in the wedding. The bigger it is, the more a rehearsal keeps things from going awry.

Definitely essential to a royal wedding--I think their rehearsals are often held a few days before the wedding rather than the night before.

We've always had a rehearsal the night before for any wedding I've been involved with as family or friend. And some sort of rehearsal dinner for the immediate family,the wedding party and family or close friend out of town guests. The formality has varied.
Edit to add--The weddings I'm referring to with rehearsals have all been held in churches and been formal and traditional. I have attended a few relatives' weddings that were held in their yard or parents' yards. Those did not have rehearsals but were fairly small intimate weddings.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the venue and how many people are participating in the wedding. The bigger it is, the more a rehearsal keeps things from going awry.

Definitely essential to a royal wedding--I think their rehearsals are often held a few days before the wedding rather than the night before.

We've always had a rehearsal the night before for any wedding I've been involved with as family or friend. And some sort of rehearsal dinner for the immediate family,the wedding party and family or close friend out of town guests. The formality has varied.

Guess it is a cultural difference. I do not know of any wedding I attended that had a rehearsal (well, maybe one, in Mexico - but not the evening before, as there was a party for all out of town guests that we attended). Of course, without rehearsal the ceremony is discussed in advance with the person presiding (by bridal couple) but that's it - and typically all went well, except for both sets of parents showing up late for the church wedding of my sister... It took them a bit longer to leave or drive after dinner to the church but being chronically late is not avoided by a rehearsal.

Nonetheless, given the large amount of people involved in a royal wedding it makes sense in those cases. In others much less so but if people feel more comfortable doing it that way, that's fine of course :flowers:

I think scarlet red and white clash - similar to that trend a few years back that a bride carried a bouquet of dark red roses. Really? DARK RED? Who in his right mind thinks of that? Doesn't suit at all. And neither does scarlet red.

A dark uniform would have been much better. I still think it's a pity that he didn't wear his RAF uniform.
At least he went in dark in the Aston Martin.

I hope that Harry won't have to go into that territory.

Interesting, I guess this is a matter of personal taste. It reminds me of Valentine's Day a bit, I don't find scarlet and white or dark red and white to clash. Actually, I think nearly anything goes with white.

What I've noticed is that everything goes like clockwork on the wedding day. Even to the seating of people in the church.

The church is sectioned off into different areas and if you are, for example, a volunteer for one of Harry's charities and are lucky to be invited, you most like will be told which time to arrive to be seated. I think they go by sections from the back of the church towards the front. Everyone has a specific place to be. Near time for the wedding the foreign royals and dignitaries are seated and then the family of the bride and the groom and it is then that the groom and his supporter enter and walk to the altar. I remember it was before the Queen because they stopped and said a brief hello to the Spencer branch of the family. The British royals are seated and then the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive and are seated. No one is seated after the Queen. Then, enter the bridal party.

This article does give a general idea of how the seating goes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Prince-William-ban-pints-beer-reception.html

I know that brides do practice sometimes in the church before the wedding especially if they have a super long train. Some sources I've read mentioned using bedsheets as trains for practice.

The whole thing is simply fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
:previous:
I don't think scarlet and white clash at all, I think it makes for a dramatic contrast.

(And I believe William was made Colonel specifically so he could wear that uniform; there were so many complaints at the time that the RAF dress uniform wasn't formal enough.)

Sorry it’s a little OT Our wedding this summer is having rehearsal/dinner the night before for bridal party and out of town relatives. Out out of town friends are staying in a block of rooms and will be shuttled to reception hall. The next morning there is a brunch before they leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom