Prince Harry: Future Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I have found out the capacity and it is 2000, same as WA. So it's not actually bigger. It could be seen as, although the capacity is the same as William's (doesn't mean they have to have 2000, 1200 would still fill it up without it looking half empty), because it is 'provincial' it wouldn't be seen as stealing William's thunder. I'm sure something could be arranged for the reception. Any local Duke, Earl or even just a large hotel would be honoured to help I am sure. If it was a hotel, they might do it just for the publicity, so the royals can't be accused of wasting money.

Harry, if anyone who knows you reads this, we would love you to marry in the Minster, with a carriage ride around York afterwards! Well I would anyway.

Well since we know the duke of York doesn't own a home there...... There is Castle Howard. Castle Howard was once owned by the Earl of Carlisle but belongs to a junior branch. Anyone who has watched Brideshead revisited would be familiar with the home. And its about 25 minutes from the cathedral. Don't know if the Windsors know the family personally, but there is a big polo match at the castle every year, Charles has played in.

But asking a family to host a huge royal wedding for free??? These families have huge expenses to keep their homes running. Castle Howard is open to the public to help keep it running (home is in a trust).

There is no reason for them to marry in York. Why? What connection do they have to York? Yes, the duke and duchess of Kent married there. But The duchess was born in Kent. Her family owned, actually still owns, a huge estate not far from the cathedral. Their reception was hosted at the estate. They simply followed the old tradition of marrying at the bride's home.

https://www.hovingham.co.uk/hovingham-hall/the-house.html

I guess if they really wanted to marry in York, they could always ask the Duchess of Kent to use her family home. Its owned by her nephew now, her brother having died in 2012.

If they don't marry at WM it will either personal preference, size or cost. Marrying at York wouldn't help with size or cost. It makes far more sense to marry near one of the royal properties, where they can host the reception. There are plenty to choose from.

Or they could marry at Gloucester cathedral and have their reception at High Grove. Its about 40 minute distance but not too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Cathedral

Or they could marry at Gloucester cathedral and have their reception at High Grove. Its about 40 minute distance but not too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Cathedral

Oh I didn't know about this one! So pretty. Hmmmm.....ok. I could see it. Still thinking WA or St. George's is more likely, but if they want to be different, but still have a little pomp I can see it. A reception at Highgrove House. Charles does love to show off that house. The boys spent a lot of time there as kids. I can see it! I like having some other options to discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about St. Mary Magadalene at Sandringham-don’t know if it’s big enough. Wherever, it’s sure to be magnificent

How about St. Mary Magadalene at Sandringham-don’t know if it’s big enough. Wherever, it’s sure to be magnificent

Well it certainly has royal and very personal connection to Harry. Princess Diana was christened there. But from what I can see of the church and, though beautiful it is pretty small.I can't find the exact number of how many people it holds, but I believe I read somewhere 100 or so. If they were looking to go small, not televised it could work. Reception at Sandringham. That's easy. I just don't think they could get away with going that small and not televising it.

I will say, I'm loving this conversation, because I'm getting more info on some really beautiful churches!

I didn’t know the capacity. Sometimes I think this wedding will have a more military presence to it

I have been to both York Minster and the church and Sandringham. They are both beautiful. However I remember St Mary's as being very small, hardly surprisingly! I just can't see a Royal wedding being held there.

When you consider that Harry at least would want to invite IG and Army friends, charity workers as well as friends, family friends and his own relatives. Then Meghan will have her contingent and there would be BBC cameramen and a commentator (plus all the lights needed) I just can't see it working.

York Minster is lovely and space-wise it would work, but bride and groom just have no connections to York or Yorkshire. If Harry went for a church purely on its connection to him, then I believe he would choose Sandringham or a church near Highgrove, where he grew up. If there's a large and beautiful church near Highgrove then that might be possible, but I believe they're all small village churches in that location.

They could choose the Guards Chapel I suppose (Army connections) but I just feel it's more likely to be St George's or WA than not.

:previous:

As I posted above, Gloucester cathedral is only about 40 minutes from High Grove. Not really close, but still descent distance for a wedding. No royal wedding history but Edward II is buried there.

The guards chapel is quite small. Only seats 500. I don't see their wedding getting that small in size.

Thanks Curryong-so right about the invites. I’m hoping for St George’s

My guess is their guest list is going to be between 700 and 1000 by the time it's all said and done.

LaRae

Thanks, Countessmeout. So Gloucester Cathedral is only 40 mins away? Never been to Gloucestershire. Of course, I suppose the problem there would be accommodation for close relatives, Queen, Duke, Meghan's parents, the Cambridge family, any VIP guests, and bride's contingent including any bridesmaids, Maids of Honour, Pages etc. I suppose some could book into Gloucester hotels to get ready but it might be a bit spread out, or bus it in from London. I just feel that they would all find London/Windsor much more convenient.

By the way, I really wish that media outlets would stop repeating the furphy that there won't be a ceremony in Church because Meghan is a divorcee. That was all sorted months ago via an announcement by a WA spokesman.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm seeing about 700-1000 as well. St. George's is still first in my heart �� (for now. I'm fickle! LOL!) But I could see Gloucester Cathedral.

Of all the churches mentioned, I really don't like the Guards Chapel. I just don't like how it looks.

Thanks, Countessmeout. So Gloucester Cathedral is only 40 mins away? Never been to Gloucestershire. Of course, I suppose the problem there would be accommodation for close relatives, Queen, Duke, Meghan's parents, the Cambridge family, any VIP guests, and bride's contingent including any bridesmaids, Maids of Honour, Pages etc. I suppose some could book into Gloucester hotels to get ready but it might be a bit spread out, or bus it in from London. I just feel that they would all find London/Windsor much more convenient.

By the way, I really wish that media outlets would stop repeating the furphy that there won't be a ceremony in Church because Meghan is a divorcee. That was all sorted months ago via an announcement by a WA spokesman.

Its 23 km, about 40-42 minutes according to google maps from Highgrove to the cathedral. Highgrove could house a number of the family. It has nine bedrooms as well as nurseries for kids. Gatcombe is also extremely close, about 15 minutes away. Gatcombe is also 9 bedrooms, and there is at least 2 cottages on the property. Peter and Zara used to live in them, I think Zara moved back, but she likely has guest rooms. There is also Aston farm, where Mark lived. I believe he is currently in the US, it was suggested Zara may live at Aston when she moved back. Mark would likely allow guests The family certainly could spread out between the two estates easily enough. There are also a number of hotels in Gloucester where the cathedral is, and likely inns and such in between for other guests. The royal contingent, foreign, will be limited.

But yes, I think London or St George's will be the choices. Just mentioned Gloucester as being far more likely then York, if they want something different.

Yes the chapel at Sandringham is tiny. Used to go all the time as a kid growing up in King's Lynn. It would be like trying to hold a wedding at St Invinctus at The Tower.

Anyone know the capacity of Southwark? I just think St George's or the Abbey will be samey as lots of weddings of the BRF. Would like to see something different. How about St Giles in Edinburgh? Anyone know the capacity there? Anne's second wedding was in Scotland, and there'd be options for the reception.

Btw I never suggested any member of the nobility give the royals a free reception. Not sure how anyone got that from what I said. Of course they would pay for the food and drink, band etc, like they would have to if it was at Windsor or Buckingham Palace. I said only if they had it at a private hotel.

Buckingham Palace has apparently never been a favourite of the royals, which is why I think Harry would favour St George's over WA. William of course didn't have the choice. Both princes lived and live at Kensington Palace. Could a local church there be used, unlikely as it is? Though Harry is brother to the man who will be head of the CofE one day. There is a huge church right near KP, I've been a few times. It is in Church Street, may be called St Mary's. With a reception in the state apartments at KP. And a carriage ride around Hyde Park.

Just throwing ideas out there.

It's St Mary Abbots.

Capacity 700.

I hope it’s a little bit different too. I would love to see it at St Giles but I doubt that would happen, so I’m rooting for St George’s. Then I let my imagination get carried away and say Duke and Duchess of Windsor but nope- me thinks Sussex. Wherever I like to see all the hats. Any thoughts on what uniform Prince Harry will wear?

Oh I live fascinators too. For some reason, American women don't seem to like wearing them at weddings. At my sister-in-law's wedding, I, the only Brit, was the only one wearing a fascinator. My mother-in-law and the other bridesmaids wouldn't wear anything on their heads. The photographer referred to me in group shots as 'the lady in the fascinator!'

Harry will most likely wear the dress uniform of his regiment, of the highest rank he has at the time, honorary colonel perhaps?

That’s great princess Squirrel. There’s nothing like a good hat and you’ve got pictures to prove it!

I hope it’s a little bit different too. I would love to see it at St Giles but I doubt that would happen, so I’m rooting for St George’s. Then I let my imagination get carried away and say Duke and Duchess of Windsor but nope- me thinks Sussex. Wherever I like to see all the hats. Any thoughts on what uniform Prince Harry will wear?

Duke of Windsor will not be used again, not during the queen's life time.

Harry will wear his Blues and royals uniform. Unlike his brother who not only holds ranks in the Blues and royals, but in the RAF and navy, Harry only belongs to one. He is an honorary air commandant and commodore in chief, but IMO Harry will wear his actual uniform, over an honorary one. Military, and actively serving in it, has been such an important part of his life.

The only reason he likely wouldn't is if he gets appointed a colonel in chief before his wedding. William was appointed colonel of the Irish guards shortly before his wedding, which is why he wore his uniform. Harry has yet to be. It is said that the queen insisted William wear the irish guards to his wedding because of his recent appointment.

Harry will most likely wear the dress uniform of his regiment, of the highest rank he has at the time, honorary colonel perhaps?

Harry is not a colonel yet. Harry's highest rank in the military (he has higher honorary in RAF and navy) is a captain in the Blues and Royals. He made the rank in 2011 when he was actively serving.

William was made a colonel shortly before his wedding. Possibly Philip may be ready to hand over one of his since he retired, and we will see the same with Harry. Then he would likely do as William, wear that.

Thank you Countessmeout. I know it’s not realistic as Duke of Windsor. I heard also HMQ insisting what to wear. I’m sure Prince will be appointed colonel don’t you think?

Actually, I think Harry would insist on wearing the uniform he relates to best from his time in the armed forces himself. Most likely he'll have his army buddies, people associated with the Invictus Games, Walking with the Wounded and other veteran organizations that will be attending and Harry is the kind of guy that is more "What you see is what you get". His armed forces service means the world to him and he'd rather present himself by what he's earned than an honorary title he's given because he's a prince.

This is just my opinion and could be totally off the mark. All I know, and this comes to any title Harry will receive, is that Harry takes things in his life seriously and puts himself into all of it.

Thank you Countessmeout. I know it’s not realistic as Duke of Windsor. I heard also HMQ insisting what to wear. I’m sure Prince will be appointed colonel don’t you think?

If one opens up, yes I would think he would be the next to be appointed. Each branch only has 1 colonel in chief. There is a new one, the Scottish and Northern Irish Yeomenry. They were formed in 2014 and no colonel in chief has ever been named. It could be Harry be given it when he is engaged. Or perhaps since Philip retired, he will hand over one of his (he has several). It happened in 2011 that the colonel of the Irish guards, who had retired from the army in 2010, stepped down from his position. Though the queen is the colonel in chief, the regiment also has a regiment colonel. William was appointed.

Actually, I think Harry would insist on wearing the uniform he relates to best from his time in the armed forces himself. Most likely he'll have his army buddies, people associated with the Invictus Games, Walking with the Wounded and other veteran organizations that will be attending and Harry is the kind of guy that is more "What you see is what you get". His armed forces service means the world to him and he'd rather present himself by what he's earned than an honorary title he's given because he's a prince.

This is just my opinion and could be totally off the mark. All I know, and this comes to any title Harry will receive, is that Harry takes things in his life seriously and puts himself into all of it.

Yes I agree. :flowers:

Having served active duty, and working now with Invictus, his view on actual service and actually earning ranks, would be different. Even if he is named a colonel before the wedding, I think he would wear his Blues and royals. I guess the queen could make him wear his colonel uniform like William, but I don't see her doing it if she know what it means to Harry. She may even choose to wait to make him a colonel until after the wedding, so not to put him in such a position.

What happens if he is made a colonel (and I agree with Osipi military defines this man) would HMQ insist on higher rank uniform even if he wanted to wear his own?

Yes I agree. :flowers:

Having served active duty, and working now with Invictus, his view on actual service and actually earning ranks, would be different. Even if he is named a colonel before the wedding, I think he would wear his Blues and royals. I guess the queen could make him wear his colonel uniform like William, but I don't see her doing it if she know what it means to Harry. She may even choose to wait to make him a colonel until after the wedding, so not to put him in such a position.

Why would the queen handle it differently than with William? Apparently, he also really wanted to wear the uniform he 'earned' and not the one he was 'awarded' but he had no choice. So, I don't see why the queen would require William to wear his highest rank and let Harry do as he pleases.

I think what would happen is best expressed by William. He stated "As I learned from growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother'. :D

Well Countedsmeout you answered my question before I got it posted. I’m doing this on my phone

And Harry calls HM the boss

Why would the queen handle it differently than with William? Apparently, he also really wanted to wear the uniform he 'earned' and not the one he was 'awarded' but he had no choice. So, I don't see why the queen would require William to wear his highest rank and let Harry do as he pleases.

Perhaps William was not as vocal about it, he just kind of bowed out. Harry lives and breaths the army, even since leaving. It may very well be a request not to be appointed until after the wedding. I didn't say the queen Would do it differently, simply there is a chance.

Yes! I keep reading that. I've seen it a few times just this week. So frustrating.

I think the Queen is judicious in her "requests" of her family and only offers "suggestions" when she thinks it is of utmost importance. I think her family respects that. Unless the Queen has a good reason she wouldn't ask Harry to wear a different uniform-it won't just be a whim of hers.

Perhaps William was not as vocal about it, he just kind of bowed out. Harry lives and breaths the army, even since leaving. It may very well be a request not to be appointed until after the wedding. I didn't say the queen Would do it differently, simply there is a chance.

I don't think it has anything to do with being vocal. The queen is not a tiran at all but some things just are the way she says they are.

Not awarding him the honorary position would indeed be the easy way out. However, if he has it, that's what he will be wearing (and I am not a big fan of his current uniform with the diagonal sherp really high up, so I wouldn't mind).

William wanted to wear the black bow version of his Irish Guards uniform. The Queen told him to wear the red tunic. He actually changed into the black bow uniform later in the day because that’s what he is wearing leaving BP in his dad’s Aston Martin. William was always going to wear an Irish Guards uniform because that’s his highest ranking uniform. The same thing will happen with Harry if he gets a Royal colonel before his gets married

Actually, I think the Queen knew what she was doing insisting on that red tunic. It stood out. You knew where William was. It looked so good on him. It was impressive. William and Harry together just looked so dapper and refined as they headed up the aisle together and the red was such a contrast next to Kate's pure white.

It could have been so much worse. William could have insisted on wearing his ever faithful blue suit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom