The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen hosted the foreign royals at a hotel the evening before William’s wedding. Charles and Camilla stopped by for a little bit. Kate spent the evening at the Goring with her family. William and Harry were at Clarence House. They went and met the crowd outside that night. There wasn’t any sort of rehearsal dinner with both families like they do in the US.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Nobility

For a royal wedding, I can see why a rehearsal makes sense but for a 'normal' wedding, I don't see the need for it (we did fine without rehearsal). Future husband was taking exams on the day before the wedding instead (they were so kind to reschedule, it was initially scheduled for the day itself)

Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
For a royal wedding, I can see why a rehearsal makes sense but for a 'normal' wedding, I don't see the need for it (we did fine without rehearsal). Future husband was taking exams on the day before the wedding instead (they were so kind to reschedule, it was initially scheduled for the day itself)
Usually just a quick walk down in the church, to get positioning and such right. Don't actually rehearse the entire ceremony. Also a last chance to work out logistics with the minister. Like who is doing what during it. Since everyone is usually in town by the night before the wedding anyways, usually not hard to get everyone together for an hour or so to practice. And then you go out and eat. Around here, the days of planned 'rehersal dinners' which were usually hosted by groom's family, are done. If there is a church rehersal, those there will naturally just eat afterwards, can be called a rehersal dinner, as its part. Also makes sense if you have tons of out of town guests, to feed them.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s an ‘American thing’ to have bridesmaids come before the bride.
I’m in Northern Ireland and every wedding I have attended has had the bridesmaids enter first and then the bride. When I get married in January we will do the same!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I think it depends on the venue and how many people are participating in the wedding. The bigger it is, the more a rehearsal keeps things from going awry.

Definitely essential to a royal wedding--I think their rehearsals are often held a few days before the wedding rather than the night before.

We've always had a rehearsal the night before for any wedding I've been involved with as family or friend. And some sort of rehearsal dinner for the immediate family,the wedding party and family or close friend out of town guests. The formality has varied.
Edit to add--The weddings I'm referring to with rehearsals have all been held in churches and been formal and traditional. I have attended a few relatives' weddings that were held in their yard or parents' yards. Those did not have rehearsals but were fairly small intimate weddings.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think it depends on the venue and how many people are participating in the wedding. The bigger it is, the more a rehearsal keeps things from going awry.

Definitely essential to a royal wedding--I think their rehearsals are often held a few days before the wedding rather than the night before.

We've always had a rehearsal the night before for any wedding I've been involved with as family or friend. And some sort of rehearsal dinner for the immediate family,the wedding party and family or close friend out of town guests. The formality has varied.
Guess it is a cultural difference. I do not know of any wedding I attended that had a rehearsal (well, maybe one, in Mexico - but not the evening before, as there was a party for all out of town guests that we attended). Of course, without rehearsal the ceremony is discussed in advance with the person presiding (by bridal couple) but that's it - and typically all went well, except for both sets of parents showing up late for the church wedding of my sister... It took them a bit longer to leave or drive after dinner to the church but being chronically late is not avoided by a rehearsal.

Nonetheless, given the large amount of people involved in a royal wedding it makes sense in those cases. In others much less so but if people feel more comfortable doing it that way, that's fine of course
Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I think scarlet red and white clash - similar to that trend a few years back that a bride carried a bouquet of dark red roses. Really? DARK RED? Who in his right mind thinks of that? Doesn't suit at all. And neither does scarlet red.

A dark uniform would have been much better. I still think it's a pity that he didn't wear his RAF uniform.
At least he went in dark in the Aston Martin.

I hope that Harry won't have to go into that territory.
Interesting, I guess this is a matter of personal taste. It reminds me of Valentine's Day a bit, I don't find scarlet and white or dark red and white to clash. Actually, I think nearly anything goes with white.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What I've noticed is that everything goes like clockwork on the wedding day. Even to the seating of people in the church.

The church is sectioned off into different areas and if you are, for example, a volunteer for one of Harry's charities and are lucky to be invited, you most like will be told which time to arrive to be seated. I think they go by sections from the back of the church towards the front. Everyone has a specific place to be. Near time for the wedding the foreign royals and dignitaries are seated and then the family of the bride and the groom and it is then that the groom and his supporter enter and walk to the altar. I remember it was before the Queen because they stopped and said a brief hello to the Spencer branch of the family. The British royals are seated and then the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive and are seated. No one is seated after the Queen. Then, enter the bridal party.

This article does give a general idea of how the seating goes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reception.html

I know that brides do practice sometimes in the church before the wedding especially if they have a super long train. Some sources I've read mentioned using bedsheets as trains for practice.

The whole thing is simply fascinating to watch.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think scarlet and white clash at all, I think it makes for a dramatic contrast.

(And I believe William was made Colonel specifically so he could wear that uniform; there were so many complaints at the time that the RAF dress uniform wasn't formal enough.)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 AM
Aristocracy

Sorry it’s a little OT Our wedding this summer is having rehearsal/dinner the night before for bridal party and out of town relatives. Out out of town friends are staying in a block of rooms and will be shuttled to reception hall. The next morning there is a brunch before they leave
Old 10-29-2017, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I know that brides do practice sometimes in the church before the wedding especially if they have a super long train. Some sources I've read mentioned using bedsheets as trains for practice.
I’ve seen a video of, I think, Queen Mathilde practicing walking with a sheet or a drape.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One other thought and I've seen it happen at weddings where the parents are divorced is that both the mother and the father walk their daughter down the aisle. I like it because it gets away from, as you've said, the "giving away the bride" as a possession thing which is anachronistic.
I always think that looks so crowded and awkward!
I really hope they don't do that.

I still think the two options for a venue are the Abbey and St. George's, but if we are considering other options, what about Hampton Court?

That is where Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman married.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

The chapel Royal at Hampton Court, altho' magnificent is very small, about the same size as the one at St James' Palace.
It is a Palatine Chapel, meaning the King and Royal family sat in a gallery at the back, on the same level as the State apartments, looking down upon the Altar, choir and congregation at ground floor level.
It was never intended for large occasions like a modern wedding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hamp.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	300748  
Old 10-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Gentry

Maybe because of the divorce of Meghan, they will have to do like Charles and Camilla, have a civil marriage and a "blessing" by the Church of England?

Or is her prior marriage irrelevant since it did not occur in the Anglican church?
Old 10-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Commoner

From what I read, Charles and Camella had that kind of wedding because he was the future head of the church. Another issue was the adulterous relationship they had had, beyond just being divorced.

Meghan and Harry will not have issues having a "church" wedding because times have changed.

This is what I understand. She may have to be confirmed into the church. I am unclear on that.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
From what I read, Charles and Camella had that kind of wedding because he was the future head of the church. Another issue was the adulterous relationship they had had, beyond just being divorced.

Meghan and Harry will not have issues having a "church" wedding because times have changed.

This is what I understand. She may have to be confirmed into the church. I am unclear on that.
My understanding is she won't have to be confirmed. Guess we'll see.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatianacressida View Post
Maybe because of the divorce of Meghan, they will have to do like Charles and Camilla, have a civil marriage and a "blessing" by the Church of England?

Or is her prior marriage irrelevant since it did not occur in the Anglican church?

A spokesperson for the CoE has already said if H&M want to marry in the Church they are free to do so.

LaRae
Old 10-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I read her wedding to Trevor Engelson was only civil (and he is Jewish).
Old 10-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Yeah, I figured it wasn't an Anglican wedding, so it wouldn't be an issue.
And also the fact that Harry's not likely to be a head of state, like Kyle said.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
There have been many posts that give the information that the Anglican Church accepts civil marriages as valid marriages, but they also now allow divorced people to marry in the Church.
Harry and Meghan can marry in the Church.

As previously pointed out, Charles & Camilla had the issue of their adultery being a contributing factor in Charles's divorce. That was the main sticking point, not them being divorced. Not a factor for Harry & Meghan.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Wonderful summary, O-H Anglophile.

The question on whether she would need to be confirmed is still unanswered as we don't know whether she is a christian, a member of a church, etc. If she was christened, that christening is valid within the Church of England, if she wasn't, she cannot take communion, so would need to be baptised first. If she is a member of the Episcopal Church, she can 'transfer' to the CoE as both are part of the Anglican community. If she was also confirmed in the Episcopal Church no confirmation is necessary, if she wasn't I expect they will ask her to confirm (at least if they wish their children to be christened if they have no intention to do so, it is less pressing).