Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing news. Congrats Harry!

Wow that is such good news! Wonderful. What an honour and I'm sure he will appreciate following his grandfather in that post.

I hope that doesn't mean though that we will see Harry in a senior Marines uniform on his wedding day in preference to his Royal and Blues one, which I love.

Congratulations to Harry!!

Now, can someone explain to me what is captain general?

Equivalent to Colonel In Chief (it was changed to Captain General in 1948)

It has gone George V,George VI,Prince Phillip and now Harry since the rank was established .He will wear a Field Marshal's uniform

"The Captain General Royal Marines is the ceremonial head of the Royal Marines. The uniform and insignia worn by the Captain General are those of a field marshal. This position is distinct from that of the Commandant General Royal Marines, the professional head (who is ranked as a major-general)."

I remember awhile back there was a discussion of why Harry sits in the carriage rather than on horse, and it was because of the military title situation. Does this mean he's going to be on a horse at the Trooping in June?

I think it’s nice that there’s a clear link here from grandfather to grandson. Sometimes these things can feel quite remote when they’re just handed on from one to another but this one feels appropriate. Congratulations to HRH on his new appointment.

Congrats to HRH Prince Harry!

I remember awhile back there was a discussion of why Harry sits in the carriage rather than on horse, and it was because of the military title situation. Does this mean he's going to be on a horse at the Trooping in June?

Trooping is the Household Division. The Guards and the Calvary Units plus the Kings Troop Artillery. Harry has none of those colonelships. Andrew who took over the Grenadiers from his father should be riding next year.

It doesn't matter. Harry will undoubtedly get one of those Colonelcies in the future, perhaps the near future. At the moment this is great!

Are there any other honorary military positions currently vacant or are there other ones that Philip might hand over soon? I.e., why did the queen pick this one for Harry?

Are there any other honorary military positions currently vacant or are there other ones that Philip might hand over soon? I.e., why did the queen pick this one for Harry?

Phillip's list of still active regiments

As for why Harry for the Marines .He had stood in previously for Phillip going back a few years and from accounts that I have read he had a working relationship with them in Afghanistan when he was flying the Apache .

According to Wikipedia, these are Prince Philip's current honorary military positions:

United Kingdom 1953 – : Field Marshal of the British Army[33]
United Kingdom 1952 – : Colonel-in-Chief Army Cadet Force[33]
United Kingdom 1953 – : Honorary Colonel of the City of Edinburgh University Officers' Training Corps[33]
United Kingdom 1957 – : Honorary Colonel of the Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry
United Kingdom 1957 – : Member Honourable Artillery Company[33]
United Kingdom 1969 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers[33]
United Kingdom 1975 – : Colonel of the Grenadier Guards[33]
United Kingdom 1977 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Intelligence Corps[33]
United Kingdom 2002 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Queen's Royal Hussars
United Kingdom 2006 – : Royal Colonel of the Highlanders, 4th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
United Kingdom 2007 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Rifles
United Kingdom 1953 – : Marshal of the Royal Air Force[33]
United Kingdom 1977 – : Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Kinloss[33]
United Kingdom 1983 – : Air-Commodore of the University Air Squadron[33]
United Kingdom 1953 – : Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal Navy[33]
United Kingdom 2011 – : Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom

However, I believe the Colonel of Grenadier Guards has been passed on to Prince Andrew, so that one was on the table, but no longer available for others. Not sure why the Queen specifically chose this one for Harry.

The Queen didn’t pick this appointment for Harry. It’s Prince Philip who decided that he wanted to pass this position down to Harry. Harry agreed to take the position on and it’s The Queen who formally issues the appointment.

There are more military appointments that both The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will be passing on to the younger generation. Very likely to see more appointments next year.

According to Wikipedia, these are Prince Philip's current honorary military positions:

United Kingdom 1953 – : Field Marshal of the British Army[33]
United Kingdom 1952 – : Colonel-in-Chief Army Cadet Force[33]
United Kingdom 1953 – : Honorary Colonel of the City of Edinburgh University Officers' Training Corps[33]
United Kingdom 1957 – : Honorary Colonel of the Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry
United Kingdom 1957 – : Member Honourable Artillery Company[33]
United Kingdom 1969 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers[33]
United Kingdom 1975 – : Colonel of the Grenadier Guards[33]
United Kingdom 1977 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Intelligence Corps[33]
United Kingdom 2002 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Queen's Royal Hussars
United Kingdom 2006 – : Royal Colonel of the Highlanders, 4th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
United Kingdom 2007 – : Colonel-in-Chief of the Rifles
United Kingdom 1953 – : Marshal of the Royal Air Force[33]
United Kingdom 1977 – : Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Kinloss[33]
United Kingdom 1983 – : Air-Commodore of the University Air Squadron[33]
United Kingdom 1953 – : Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal Navy[33]
United Kingdom 2011 – : Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom

However, I believe the Colonel of Grenadier Guards has been passed on to Prince Andrew, so that one was on the table, but no longer available for others. Not sure why the Queen specifically chose this one for Harry.

There is also a new regiment, the Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry. They as of yet have not had a colonel in chief appointed to them.

Harry and Meghan’s arrival to the Queen Christmas Party has been moved to the British Royal Christmas thread. The discussion about the uniform Harry will wear for his wedding has been moved to the Wedding Musings and Suggestion thread.

Harry is guest editing on the BBC 4 Radio today. The BBC is stating this is one of Obama's first sit down interview since leaving the WH.

Harry also interviews his father, the Prince of Wales. It is an great bit. And you really realize how much they sound alike lol. Couldn't always tell who was talking!

LINK TO LIVE RADIO PROGRAM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rad...o/player/bbc_radio_fourfm

BBC Radio 4 Today

@BBCr4today
Good morning. Today's guest editor is Prince Harry. We'll be discussing the armed forces, conservation and mental health #r4today BBC Radio 4 - Today

Prince Harry spent Christmas at Sandringham with other members of the Royal Family, and his fiancée Meghan Markle.

Obama's departure
The programme is being presented by Justin Webb and Sarah Montague.

It also featured an audio diary recorded by Prince Harry in Toronto at the Invictus Games, the Paralympic-style competition for injured service personnel he launched in 2014.

Prince Harry (with his back to the camera) in the Today studio with presenters Justin Webb and Sarah Montague

Last edited by a moderator:
Podcast below frof Harry interviewing his father on issues and concerns of both of them on Radio 4s Today show. Noted also that at the end Harry quite formally wished his father good wishes for Xmas and the New Year. It was almost like a colleague wishing someone they aren't going to see over the Festive season a good time.

BBC Radio 4 - Best of Today, Prince Charles on climate change

Podcast below frof Harry interviewing his father on issues and concerns of both of them on Radio 4s Today show. Noted also that at the end Harry quite formally wished his father good wishes for Xmas and the New Year. It was almost like a colleague wishing someone they aren't going to see over the Festive season a good time.

BBC Radio 4 - Best of Today, Prince Charles on climate change

Noted Charles said "You've made me very proud" ;)
A very nice father/son chitchat.

Did anyone really think he wasn't proud of Harry (and William for that matter)?

LaRae

Did anyone really think he wasn't proud of Harry (and William for that matter)?

LaRae

Oh if you look carefully , you'll find some believers of the "Estranged father" theory... :whistling:

Noted Charles said "You've made me very proud" ;)
A very nice father/son chitchat.

Charles also, unless my hearing is truly gone, called Harry "my darling boy" near the end.

The Happy Christmas at the end just seemed to me to be a nice convenient way to bring the chat to a close.

Charles also, unless my hearing is truly gone, called Harry "my darling boy" near the end.

The Happy Christmas at the end just seemed to me to be a nice convenient way to bring the chat to a close.

He did call him that. I liked his references to "your children [his future grandchildren]" and how loving they were. You can get a sense they are close and I look forward to seeing Charles (and Camilla) being about to be more active grandparents with Harry's kids because I get the impression he just not with William's. Or not as much as he would like anyways.

He did call him that. I liked his references to "your children [his future grandchildren]" and how loving they were. You can get a sense they are close and I look forward to seeing Charles (and Camilla) being about to be more active grandparents with Harry's kids because I get the impression he just not with William's. Or not as much as he would like anyways.

I don't think he's not active with William's kids. It's just that he's a very busy man. I'm sure he loves spending time with his grandchildren, but he keeps a full schedule. Also, there is different ways of closeness. I don't think Prince Charles is likely to be reading bedtime stories every night, but he's likely the type of father/grandfather that would enjoy long conversations about issues when the kids are older.

I don't think William and his dad seem that close, but to me that is normal. I am closer to my dad than one of my older sisters. I think Harry, however, seems very close to his dad.

There were so many times in the interview where I had a hard to figuring out who was speaking! Harry sounds so much like his father.

Nice piece from the Guardian. THIS is why Harry is my favorite royal. The thought and time he puts into his efforts is far above the other young royals in his family IMO.

Today programme’s royal coup was smart move for BBC and Prince Harry
Kensington Palace and the Beeb are both likely to be celebrating success of prince’s rare foray into media world

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-coup-was-smart-move-for-bbc-and-prince-harry

Prince Harry has provided an unprecedented insight into the issues that he considers important and his relationship with his father, Prince Charles, by guest-editing BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. But agreeing to edit one of the BBC’s flagship current affairs programmes has also shone a light on the royal family’s approach to the media.

The prince’s edition of Today has been broadly well received, with presenter Sarah Montague praising the 33-year-old as more hands-on than other guest editors and Catherine Mayer, author of a 2015 biography on Prince Charles, describing it as a “stunning public relations feat”.

Attracting the royal to edit Today – one of the BBC’s flagship current affairs programme – will be seen as a coup within the BBC, as will his interview with Barack Obama, which is the first that the former US president has granted since his term in office ended in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh if you look carefully , you'll find some believers of the "Estranged father" theory... :whistling:

HA I read that as 'estrangled' the first time!

Yeah I know I've seen it here. I have never thought those boys were estranged from their dad. Even when talking about issues their mother went thru, doesn't mean they are 'judging' their dad.

Anyway I hope folks can realize how close they all are.

LaRae

I thought it was a nice banter between father and son--I heard serious, jovial, pride and love on both sides.

I think the boys understand that love and relationships are complicated. I'm sure while they love their mother and feel for all that she went through, they can understand their father's love for Camilla given that they are both lucky enough to marry the women they love without restrictions.

If you wish to continue discussing the relationship Charles has with Harry and William, take it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom