Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Harry_zps19263213.png

Arms of HRH Prince Harry of Wales

Welcome to Prince Harry's
Current Events, Part 28

Commencing April 1, 2015

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
Britain's Prince Harry to start Australian army stint - CNN.com
Prince Harry's Australian visit: what 'Captain Wales' will do on his military secondment

Official Press Release from the Australian Defence Force

Prince Harry will be arriving in Australia on Monday to begin his four week stint with the Australian Army.

On Monday April 6, Harry will lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and tour the World War I and Afghanistan galleries at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. The Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove, will accompany him.

He will be spending time with regiments in Sydney, Darwin and Perth, according to the ADF.

Last edited:
It's good that Prince Harry will be spreading himself around. People in Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Canberra will have a chance to see him.

Sorry but what is the point of all this? Keeping Harry occupied to prevent him from becoming Airmiles Andy 2?
To me it seems that he had to leave the army or left the army for whatever reasons at short notice and now they have no idea what to do with him.
Harry is an army man, he needs a firm structure. I am not sure having him tour the world as the 'people's prince' will end well.

Given that he is training with the SAS the only places Aussies will really get a chance to see him are when he goes to pubs etc. He is only doing one official engagement - laying a wreath on Monday with the GG and maybe the PM at the War Memorial but after that he is with the army, especially the SAS.

Sorry but what is the point of all this? Keeping Harry occupied to prevent him from becoming Airmiles Andy 2?
To me it seems that he had to leave the army or left the army for whatever reasons at short notice and now they have no idea what to do with him.
Harry is an army man, he needs a firm structure. I am not sure having him tour the world as the 'people's prince' will end well.

Good question - and who does know for sure? Harry and part of the military.
My internal speculation was that once decided, Harry and the military decided to stave off short timer's disease. I have always thought both William and Harry enjoyed the atmosphere of Australia, and that's a compliment to Australians. Huge, diverse, scenic, open minded, active, sporty, humorous these are Australian traits that are an easy fit for Harry.
It also gets him away from the press and from any temptations he might face at the end of a service period that can get a little boring as one is fazed out. JMO.

I wonder if ADF requested Harry to come or the other way around. A regular officer leaving the army wouldn't be sent to train with a foreign military in his/her last weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Harry isn't a regular officer though lol. I think this is just to give him something to do before he travels to New Zealand

Last edited:
Wasn't there something about planning ceremonial events in the London district mentioned as his job ? There is a pretty big one in June that takes multiple dress rehearsals. Couldn't he help with that?

Helping organise ceremonial events with the Army in London was just an excuse to give him a no show desk job imo.

There is no evidence Harry helped organise Trooping the Colour or any other event pertaining to the Army while assigned to Whitehall.

An article from last year stated Harry was 'hardly ever there' in regards to his desk job.

Last edited:
He was involved in organising the Invictus Games while he was posted to Whitehall - new event on the calendar compared to reviewing plans that really don't change from year to year like Trooping. We also don't know what he did there as there weren't press covering his movements to and from Whitehall and actually sitting at the desk looking at what he was doing.

Why he is coming to Australia and costing us $150,000 is anyone's guess but from reading what Harry himself said '... ADF have arranged for me' suggests that this is his idea and nothing to do with his actual service.

It is a waste of money and is simply a paid holiday to Australia for Harry although he will have to actually turn up to some military stuff while here.

The Invictus/Warrior Games isn't the reason he took the job at Whitehall.

Prince Harry swaps helicopter role for Army desk job - Telegraph
Prince Harry is take up a new military role organising major commemorative events after he completed his attachment to the Army Air Corps.

The Prince, 29, will swap flying Apache helicopters for a desk-bound Staff Officer role in HQ London District, based in Horse Guards. His responsibilities will include organising Trooping the Colour, the annual celebration of the Queen's birthday, and First World War commemorative events.

Kensington Palace said his responsibilities "will include helping to co-ordinate significant projects and commemorative events involving the Army in London".

A feasibility study on bringing the Games to London has been commissioned by the Ministry of Defence and the Prince's charity, the Royal Foundation, with a view to hosting the event later this year. A final recommendation will be made at the end of January.

Royal sources said the Prince had not taken on the new role solely because of his enthusiasm for the Warrior Games.

"If the Warrior Games does come to London that would be a special project that would involve the Army, so the Prince would be involved in that. But his responsibility would be in line with his rank as a captain, so he would not be in charge of the whole thing."

I have no problem giving Harry some credit for the Invictus Games but the games weren't the reason the palace said he took up the desk job.

That is revisionist history

Last edited:
It seems like what KP said he was going to do what he ended up doing are different things.

I think Harry was involved in arranging ceremonial events last year, including Trooping of the Colour.

^^^ I think if did it would have been commented on especially given the fact he participated in Trooping the Colour.

It would have been great publicity for both the Army and Prince Harry but there was no word

The Invictus Games might not have been the sole reason he took on the desk job in Whitehall, but it's clear he took a huge part in organising it, and a very good job he did too.

I believe he left the army because he didn't want to be desk-bound, filling out reports, taking further exams etc (admin work not being his thing) and so he left. How many thirty somethings leave their jobs and go and do something else if they don't think it's working out. People are constantly going off in a new direction career-wise nowadays.

It's good that Prince Harry will be spreading himself around. People in Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Canberra will have a chance to see him.

Channel Seven in Sydney started advertising early this morning - before 6.00am Good Friday - that they will "be with Prince Harry" and will let us know "what he's doing and where he's heading" when he arrives in Oz on Easter Monday.

They are calling it a "special event", and will be broadcasting the action "as it happens" throughout the day.

Last edited:
I believe he left the army because he didn't want to be desk-bound, filling out reports, taking further exams etc (admin work not being his thing) and so he left. How many thirty somethings leave their jobs and go and do something else if they don't think it's working out. People are constantly going off in a new direction career-wise nowadays.

Unfortunately Harry is not the average Thirty someting who wants to go something else and just does it. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, neither KP nor Harry seem to know what he wants to do in the end and just go from event to event. This 'touring abroad' costs a lot of money without a real purpose. If tax payers' money is involved, there has to be a real benefit (eg Africa). Otherwise he needs to find something useful to do in the UK.

Unfortunately Harry is not the average Thirty someting who wants to go something else and just does it. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, neither KP nor Harry seem to know what he wants to do in the end and just go from event to event. This 'touring abroad' costs a lot of money without a real purpose. If tax payers' money is involved, there has to be a real benefit (eg Africa). Otherwise he needs to find something useful to do in the UK.

I am reasonably sure there is a plan, it has just not been communicated just yet. IMO, the Army was important to Harry, and for him to agree to leave it, he must have something substantial lined up.

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol

'A paid holiday'

Which is EXACTLY what all serving military personel receive...

Perhaps it is different in your country Duke of Marmelade ???

Prince Harry is far from being serving military personel.

^^^ I think if did it would have been commented on especially given the fact he participated in Trooping the Colour.

It would have been great publicity for both the Army and Prince Harry but there was no word

I believe it was commented on, but people just didn't pay attention to it. Also, he was doing his job. It was even made sure Harry had a front seat at the Duke of Wellington's Office during the Trooping last year.

^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?

^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?

Article on Harry's desk job at Whitehall-
"The fourth in line to the throne, who did two tours in Afghanistan, will have to plan ceremonial parades such as Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday plus coordinating official state visits from foreign dignitaries."
Prince Harry: Desk job is more nerve-wracking than flying Army attack helicopter in Afghanistan - Mirror Online

On Harry's Ceremonial Job-
"Prince Harry's appearance at the Trooping ceremony comes months after he gave up his role as an Apache helicopter co-pilot gunner for a military desk job with responsibilities that include organising major ceremonial events involving the Army."
Trooping the Colour 2014

I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.

I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.

There was a little buzz about Harry's involvement in helping to organize the events though. I just don't think it was a major focus, but his job was to help with the events. Last year, he took center stage in the window in overlooking the Trooping, in which he helped organize.

The thing with events like Trooping is that the 'plan' is in the system and all that the planning on a year by year basis is to check that everything is done. It isn't like it is a new event that has to be done from scratch.

What Harry's role was or might have been we will never know but he was posted to the part of Whitehall that organises events so it is reasonable to assume that he was involved in pushing some of the papers around that made that event possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom