The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should put my question here....since I am considering writing to Prince Harry regarding the wounded warrior games here in Hawaii....is it at all possible that he would consider coming to Hawaii to make an appearance at the games. I know it's the U.S. but..since he is an advocate of wounded soldiers it would be quite an experience for our military men and women who travel far and wide to participate in this event to have the privilege of meeting the Prince and for the Prince to be able to be a positive and encouraging figure for them. It seems to be a cause that is very near and dear to his heart. Would he even be allowed to make an appearance like that? I just need some opinions on the matter.

:previous: Why wouldn't he :ermm: The Invictus games were just in Florida and he was there. He has been to the US plenty. British royals aren't restricted to Commonwealth. It wouldn't count as an official event for him unless invited by the government but that never stops him. He is off on a 'private trip' working in Africa, because he was not invited. It would be a matter of finances, security and logistics with his schedule if he could make it.

Never hurts to ask. Maybe ask for a video message of support as an alternative choice.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thank you for the answers. I will write to him and see what happens.

My newspaper today...

Two states of Australia are bidding to host the 2018 Invictus Games - Queensland and NSW.

The 2000 Sydney Olympic Games venues would be used if NSW gets the job - with the opening ceremony to be held at the Opera House.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 2h2 hours ago
Prince Harry has a special message for the 11 @WeAreInvictus competitors heading to the #Rio2016 Paralympic Games

To those @WeAreInvictus #Rio2016 competitors, what an incredible achievement - well done for your selection - H.

You've trained harder than ever, but the fight to the finish line won't be easy. You know this better than anyone -H

Cherish this moment as you get to serve your country again. Absorb the applause and atmosphere, but most importantly - have fun! - H.

The games are coming to Sydney. Right country wrong city Melbourne is our sporting city.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, we are the sporting capital of Australia, if not the world!

My newspaper today...

Two states of Australia are bidding to host the 2018 Invictus Games - Queensland and NSW.

The 2000 Sydney Olympic Games venues would be used if NSW gets the job - with the opening ceremony to be held at the Opera House.

Today was the official announcement of Sydney hosting the Invictus Games in 2018 - and the TV evening news broadcast a lengthy report about it.

Footage of Prince Harry announcing Sydney was also shown.

I love looking at pictures of such an event. Harry really seems to come across as "just one of the guys" rather than the patron in a suit being someone that all the others look up at. He meets these people at their level, enjoys interacting with them and is very involved with anything to do with the Invictus Games which was his brain child after seeing the Warrior Games in the US.

I'm looking forward to the games in Toronto this year.

Harry stays involved with British athletes like with today's event but his involvement with the 'Invictus Games' is now almost nothing.

The Games are more or less a franchise. Orlando was independent of London and Toronto is independent of Orlando.

Harry was in Canada to announce the games, he will return 18 months later to watch the games but everything in between is being done by the Toronto organising committee.

No doubt he is kept informed of progress but the last games where Harry was involved were London.

Last edited:
It's now handled locally by the host country. I wonder if the momentum can be maintained if it keeps being held each year. London basically pigbacked on the success of London 2012. Then there is 2 year gap to Orlando where you had the might of Disney and its tv networks like ESPN and ABC to promote it. Plus it was an Olympic year. Now it's a non Olympic year and the games are being held in late September, which is a busy sports time especially in the US and then in 2018 in Australia which is going to have significant travel cost to get to.

And I'll bet he is looking forward to that tremendously. It's been quite a busy and full-on month for Harry.

It really is refreshing to be able to see public displays of respect towards another person in a world which seems to have erased respect from its dictionary. It makes me realize that there is still hope for this planet. :flowers:

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal 57s58 seconds ago
Prince Harry will make visits to Singapore and Sydney in early June, on behalf of @Sentebale and @InvictusSydney

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal 2m2 minutes ago
In Sydney, Prince Harry will attend events to celebrate the city's hosting of the 2018 #InvictusGames

Whenever Harry gets involved in something, he really gets involved. Who better on the world stage to promote and draw attention to the Invictus Games than its patron. Even though the Sydney games are well over a year away, Harry is already doing what he can to promote them. That shows diligence. He's not just a figurehead adding his name to a cause. He actively supports it.

This is truly a person that is taking the world stage and making it his oyster and using it not for his own advantage but for the benefit of many other people.

On top of that, we also see him going to Singapore to participate in a polo game to benefit and promote his Sentebale charity in Lesotho.

I guess the moniker "Action Man" has been duly handed down from father to son from what I see. In this respect he is so much like his father in that he actively *does* things and in full force.

Gotta love Harry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom