Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Harry sure knows how to make everyone feel comfortable around him
What a gem the RF have in Harry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: I've long thought that Prince Harry resembles his paternal grandfather. I read a book on the Mountbattens years ago that had Prince Louis of Battenberg, Louis Mountbatten, and Prince Philip on the cover. Princes William and Harry could have easily have filled in the same figures, although they'd be taller. Their shapes are very Mountbatten.

To the moderators: This is to illustrate a book-cover. I'm not posting this as an ad.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Mountbat...853688?hash=item2a4d521df8:g:Ps4AAOSwqu9U~Qkw

Last edited:
Its uncanny that a bearded Philip and his grandson Harry look so very much alike. Although for the most part, I think Harry resembles his father, he does look remarkably like his grandfather too. No way can it ever be said that Harry does not have the Mountbatten and Windsor genes. :D

Harry being the people's-man as always.
- But, are they only allowed to dress in shades of grey at that center? :ermm::p

Maybe it's their uniform, or probably they didn't want to dress in bright colours in case they might overshadow the blue suit, and later, the grey pants, of their visitor!

It does look like half of them are wearing the same grey shirt... doesn't explain why the other half are wearing black though...

Superb photos, and it's clear Harry's heart and soul is in this. I find it very hard to understand this insatiable craving for ivory, (or indeed for rhino horn or any part of a wild and endangered species). Education is the answer in the long term but projects like these ones help in getting the message out there. Is it too late,though?

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundayti...ts-film-with-African-Parks?platform=hootsuite

Last edited:
excellent work being done by these organizations. I recently saw a documentary on giraffes in Africa. Part of protecting them was the relocation of some to another reserve, it was a ton of work.

excellent work being done by these organizations. I recently saw a documentary on giraffes in Africa. Part of protecting them was the relocation of some to another reserve, it was a ton of work.

I think I probably watched the same documentary that you did. It was a lot of work loading, transporting and then finally releasing these beautiful animals to their new environment. It was amazing to see all the giraffes in their movable trailer complete with trees to munch on and watching them look around as they crossed the Nile.

The more people that get into conservations work and the more it is publicized what it all entails and why, the more people will be informed of the plight of these beautiful animals.

Superb photos, and it's clear Harry's heart and soul is in this. I find it very hard to understand this insatiable craving for ivory, (or indeed for rhino horn or any part of a wild and endangered species). Education is the answer in the long term but projects like these ones help in getting the message out there. Is it too late,though?

SUNDAY TIMES - WATCH: Prince Harry stars in '500 Elephants' film with African Parks

Indeed. Call me a puritan, but I think tusks looks so much more impressive on live elephants.

I understand there is a very rapid decline in the number of elephants in Africa these years! So I guess soon elephants with impressive tusks may only be seen in animal parks outside Africa.
A tragedy in so many ways!

Laudable as all this is, I can't help but wonder what the cost is to taxpayers to send several bodyguards to Africa for a summer to look after Harry? These bodyguards will be getting paid likely much more that they would had Harry stayed in the UK, because they're having to be away from their families for long stretches while Harry does this. I'm going to guess that the accommodation and transport costs were considerable.

I personally have no issue with it but, if this was another family member doing this, e.g. William, the posts here would be very different.

Laudable as all this is, I can't help but wonder what the cost is to taxpayers to send several bodyguards to Africa for a summer to look after Harry? These bodyguards will be getting paid likely much more that they would had Harry stayed in the UK, because they're having to be away from their families for long stretches while Harry does this. I'm going to guess that the accommodation and transport costs were considerable.

I personally have no issue with it but, if this was another family member doing this, e.g. William, the posts here would be very different.

Do people in the UK who travel for work get a pay bonus? Because I've never heard of that in the US. Sure, there is reimbursement for meals when on the road, but at least over here if you increase people's pay when they travel, you have to take the pay away when they are home and that never works very well. Plus, travels is usually just another part of the expectations of the job.

I don't get paid extra for when I work away from my home store. I do get travel time paid.

Doubt the bodyguards will be earning anymore, and all expenses will be covered. It would be exactly the same as accompanying him on a visit to another country on behalf of The Queen.

Perhaps they rotate after a few weeks so they aren't away for such a long time which is longer than what they would be away for a tour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

My nephew is in the RCMP and when he went to Haiti after the earthquakes he was payed extra money, I think it was danger pay

I know in the British military, certain trades and deployments earn people extra pay. Submariners for example receive supplemental isolation pay.

It would make sense for police officers having to go Africa to receive an extra pay packet.

My nephew is in the RCMP and when he went to Haiti after the earthquakes he was payed extra money, I think it was danger pay

I know in the British military, certain trades and deployments earn people extra pay. Submariners for example receive supplemental isolation pay.

It would make sense for police officers having to go Africa to receive an extra pay packet.
Thanks for the reply.
The US has additional combat pay for troops and hazard pay for some professions. But, for example, transport troops in Iraq and Afghanistan got no extra pay, because they were technically not "combat" troops. This despite the fact that they were at high risk from IEDs. There was a lot of press about that.
There are also shift premiums in some fields.
I wonder if the secret service gets extra pay just because they travel outside DC?
And I wonder about the Africa=hazard assumption? Because Harry was generally with local game wardens - who would be armed and therefore provide protection for him and his keepers. It is an interesting question.
We know Harry did not earn anything extra, though! :lol: Beyond the fact that he loves being out there - which is a bonus of it's own kind.

Last edited:

And after reading this, I have to ask of our young forum members, does Sir Elton John appeal to you more than he does to your parents? :lol::lol::lol:

And maybe I am just odd, but I've not experienced mush "stigma" around HIV AIDS in quite a while. I've experienced fundraising for treatment/a cure - but not the absurd, irrational fear of the 90s.

And after reading this, I have to ask of our young forum members, does Sir Elton John appeal to you more than he does to your parents? :lol::lol::lol:

And maybe I am just odd, but I've not experienced mush "stigma" around HIV AIDS in quite a while. I've experienced fundraising for treatment/a cure - but not the absurd, irrational fear of the 90s.

I do & it was a very scary time. The reaction of certain relatives when it came out I needed blood transfusions as part of the Transplant protocol in the Fall of 92? To say it was near hysteria on their part is not exaggerating sadly.

It's not only w/the Poor where AIDS is on the upswing. It's also Young People. They "assume" because of the Drugs available, the Disease is under control & it can't be transmitted anymore. I was watching an interview w/one of my favourite Skaters, Kurt Browning, many years ago when it turned to how AIDS has hit the Skating World. When he said that, in relation to things he had heard younger skaters say at Seminars, I nearly hit the floor.

It doesn't have the stigma of the 80's & 90's, but that doesn't mean it can't come back w/a vengeance due to complacency & misinformation. Harry can do a great deal of good in that area IMO.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Thanks Dman - pages and pages of stuff about Prince Harry and speculation about his relationship with Meghan Markle, and only one posting about his engagement at the National Arboretum today :confused:

Great to see him out at such an event. Like his grandfather, uncle andrew and Tim partly, he knows all too well the chances taken by those soldiers never to come home. Unlike other royals who have honorary positions but never served active duty, or like William who worked search and rescue, harry and the others have had that taste. I think it is what makes Harry such an incredible ambassador for soldiers, both walking with the wounded and Invictus.

:previous:there are photos and a clip of him reading a poem on his charities thread:flowers:

As interesting as a new girlfriend is, I do agree that I would rather see more coverage of today and less girlfriend speculation. :sad:

:previous:there are photos and a clip of him reading a poem on his charities thread:flowers:

As interesting as a new girlfriend is, I do agree that I would rather see more coverage of today and less girlfriend speculation. :sad:

That's because Harry is no longer single. The media is excited that he's in a relationship, after a long hiatus from being in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom