Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Beast fare. And yet another wailing article about Harry not settling down to marriage and children. It's also inaccurate in that the author infers (typically) that Harry lives on the taxpayer's dime. I have news for you, DB. He doesn't!

Last edited:
:previous: I liked the first couple of comments that addressed the composition of the article and failed it on truth and grammar! :D

The Prince is determined to raise awareness of a crisis which is robbing Southern Africa of thousands of black rhino each year. He is travelling under the auspices of the Zoological Society of London and of the Tusk Trust which funds many African initiatives to protect the rhino.
More: Prince Harry back in the front line fighting ivory poachers over Namibia | Daily Mail Online

The Zoological Society of London is one of the organizations that make up United for Wildlife of which William is President and of course William is Patron of the Tusk Trust.

Now it can't be a coincidence Harry is in Africa for three months and it just happens he is working for William's charities.

Nice to see the brothers helping each other out.

Last edited:
Tusk is under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation, which the brothers founded together and to which Kate was added as co-patron. I'm glad Harry is active in attempts to stop poaching and this vile trade in traditional medicines. I'm sure he will observe and learn and do more than his bit in Africa.

Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015

Tusk isn't part of the Royal Foundation of W,K& H. It's a separate organization. It just celebrated its 25th anniversary. William is its patron so it's a member of the Royal Foundation charities forum like the other organizations that W,K& H are patrons of.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If I'm not mistaken, Harry has been involved with TUSK before. My memory hasn't been jump started with enough caffeine yet but I seem to recall both William and Harry doing a documentary with Ben Fogle about wildlife in Africa back before William's wedding.

Ben makes documentary with Prince William

William has been Patron of Tusk since 2005. They just had their 25th anniversary a couple of months ago when William hosted at Windsor Castle. Any involvement Harry has with Tusk is through William.

I really hope no one is put out over the fact Harry is in Africa under the auspices of William's charities.

When the World Cup was in South Africa in 2010, William and Harry did a joint tour in Africa. They went to Lesotho to see Harry's projects with Senteble and then they went up to the Botswana area to see the Tusk work. The Ben Fogle's documentary about the trip was called Prince William's Africa. Harry had some appearances in it too. Remember the snake.

Just read on another forum that Henry and William used to shoot wildlife in Africa and that singer Pink, when asked, refused to sing at one of their private parties because of it.

The comments at the end of the article in the Daily Mail mention hunting (which I knew of - and yes, you've guessed it, not impressed!) but not wildlife in Africa.

Is the wildlife story fabrication?

Both Harry and William enjoy hunting and shooting. Harry was photographed next to a water buffalo he shot while on his gap year in Africa. From a conservation point of view it isn't incompatible at all. In fact most conservation organisations also promote sustainable hunting.

Now if you're on the PETA end of things then obviously Harry working in conservation and shooting pheasants isn't kosher.

I personally have no issues with it as I both hunt and fish here in Canada.

Does anyone know for certain of Harry's duties in Africa are counted as official engagements?

I don't think it counts toward official engagements at all. What he's doing in Africa is great but I think it's considered personal time.

Both Harry and William enjoy hunting and shooting. Harry was photographed next to a water buffalo he shot while on his gap year in Africa. From a conservation point of view it isn't incompatible at all. In fact most conservation organisations also promote sustainable hunting.

Now if you're on the PETA end of things then obviously Harry working in conservation and shooting pheasants isn't kosher.

I personally have no issues with it as I both hunt and fish here in Canada.

Shooting for game to eat is more palatable to me (although I would could not bear to see it or do it myself!). I mean, I am not a vegetarian, animals are killed so I can eat.:sad: I am in no place to judge.

However, water buffalo shooting is not cool in my book unless it was used for food. If you tell me he shot an elephant, lion, rhino, etc. or just killed for the thrill of it, I would certainly be appalled.

Yeah, Harry's work in Africa is on his personal time not official.

IIRC Pink is heavily involved in PETA stuff and IIRC may be vegetarian or vegan...so if there's any truth to the Harry story that would be why.

LaRae

Shooting for game to eat is more palatable to me (although I would could not bear to see it or do it myself!). I mean, I am not a vegetarian, animals are killed so I can eat.:sad: I am in no place to judge.

However, water buffalo shooting is not cool in my book unless it was used for food. If you tell me he shot an elephant, lion, rhino, etc. or just killed for the thrill of it, I would certainly be appalled.

I seem to remember reading either on here or from an article posted here that when they shoot game in Africa the meat is donated to local villages etc.

LaRae

When Harry come back from Africa what he is doing? Is something official?

Thank you Pranter. :flowers:

Sounds like they shoot for the thrill though. Not cool. I would be more impressed if he posed next to a plate of beautifully cooked (not endangered) game. I mean, isn't that all the rage now? Taking pictures of delicious food beautifully arranged on a plate and it would totally change the message. :big grin:

I hope he has had a change of heart and now works to stop others from senseless killing for thrill or profit...or both. If so, he should mention it. Now that would be impressive!!

When Harry come back from Africa what he is doing? Is something official?

IIRC, when Harry returns he will be working with disabled service personnel programs in a civilian position.

Sounds like they shoot for the thrill though. Not cool. I would be more impressed if he posed next to a plate of beautifully cooked (not endangered) game. I mean, isn't that all the rage now? Taking pictures of delicious food beautifully arranged on a plate and it would totally change the message. :big grin:

I hope he has had a change of heart and now works to stop others from senseless killing for thrill or profit...or both. If so, he should mention it. Now that would be impressive!!

Well I believe that part of conservation is hunting. You see that here in the U.S. Conservation departments in states balance that out pretty well. If the populations become unbalanced the either reduce allowed hunting or they increase it depending on the need.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying hunting. Why should a person that hunts hate it? The only thing I would take issue with would be if the meat was not used. As long as the meat is used I'm good.

LaRae

IIRC Pink is heavily involved in PETA stuff and IIRC may be vegetarian or vegan...so if there's any truth to the Harry story that would be why.

LaRae

Pink describes herself as "mostly vegan" but she does on occasion eat chicken and fish. She has been heavily involved with PETA in the past.

Yours comes across as a rather emotional reaction to something you don't entirely understand.

In today's day and age, those in the First World have no reason to hunt unless they enjoy it. It's not necessarily a "thrill" but rather a pastime or activity that they enjoy.

At the same time though, there continues to be a huge difference between poaching, hunting for trophies, hunting for conservation, and hunting for sustenance.

Poaching is the hunting of endangered animals, hunting without licensing or outside of legal hours or legal seasons, or using prohibited methods of hunting.

Trophy hunting is the hunting of game for the purpose of keeping parts of the slain animal as a trophy - this can be done in conjunction with sustenance hunting, as the meat itself can still be used as food, while the skin, antlers, and head can all be used as trophies.

Conservation hunting is hunting a specific animal for the purpose of carefully thinning the bread in order to ensure the conservation of an area. This isn't done to the point of extinction, but rather to prevent overpopulation.

Sustenance hunting, of course, is for sustenance.

We've seen William and Harry partake in conservation hunting - their hunting trip to Spain last year(?) for wild boar would count as such, and we've also seen them oppose poaching. I would probably say that their primary means of hunting though is a cross between trophy hunting and sustenance hunting; they don't waste the animals that they kill and even if they themselves aren't eating it, the meat is donated to someone who will eat it, but at the same time they do take their trophies - they have their pictures of themselves beside the animals they've slain. This is a part of the culture of hunting, and if the meat isn't being wasted then what right does anyone who eats meat themselves have to criticize them for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Location! Location! Location!

I see nothing wrong with them hunting pheasants at Sandringham but when they go to other countries it is trophy hunting and not conservation.

The pheasants at Sandringham are raised and looked after by staff.
The pheasants are similar to free range chickens.
The kill is used as food.

The water buffalo was not raised by humans.

William and Harry are not employed as rangers to selectively kill diseased or old animals or to reduce the population inorder to maintain balance.

These are the reasons why I see William and Harry's killing of wild animals as being hypocrites. They are trophy hunting.

Why are you lumping William in with Harry with Buffalo hunting?

The buffalo that Harry (not William) shot is a Cape Buffalo also known as an African Buffalo. Not a water buffalo.

It's not an endangered species and it's rated as least concerned by IUCN which monitors animal populations and rate them on the extinct risk.

Last edited:
Who cares if they are trophy hunting...as long as the meat is used and it's not an endangered species it shouldn't matter.

LaRae

Yours comes across as a rather emotional reaction to something you don't entirely understand.

In today's day and age, those in the First World have no reason to hunt unless they enjoy it. It's not necessarily a "thrill" but rather a pastime or activity that they enjoy.

*snip*

At the same time though, there continues to be a huge difference between poaching, hunting for trophies, hunting for conservation, and hunting for sustenance.

We've seen William and Harry partake in conservation hunting - their hunting trip to Spain last year(?) for wild boar would count as such, and we've also seen them oppose poaching. I would probably say that their primary means of hunting though is a cross between trophy hunting and sustenance hunting; they don't waste the animals that they kill and even if they themselves aren't eating it, the meat is donated to someone who will eat it, but at the same time they do take their trophies - they have their pictures of themselves beside the animals they've slain. This is a part of the culture of hunting, and if the meat isn't being wasted then what right does anyone who eats meat themselves have to criticize them for this?

The part I bolded up there is only partly true. We live in a very Rural part of Northeastern Ontario and our Grocery Bills are high enough due to the distance between us and the Nearest City it's trucked in from, but if we didn't hunt and have that Deer Meat, I don't even want to think what those bills would be. Sure we buy meat, like Chicken, Ham and other types, but nothing like most People do and not that often because of the Venison we have.

That second part is one of the best posts I've yet seen in an attempt to explain William and Harry taking on Conservation as one of their main causes and yet still going out Hunting. There are indeed differences, but for those who wish to continue believing otherwise...Thank you for trying though.

And in a Preemptive Attempt of my own...Last I looked Water Buffalo aren't on any Endangered Species List I know of. Their Habitat OTOH W/out a doubt is and due to that, they're starting to head into areas they don't belong and becoming a nuisance. Sadly most Nuisance Animals do need to be hunted down, because once they've moved into settled land and found easy food for them in the form of Garbage or Gardens, they're there to stay. Would you want to face a Water Buffalo defending your Garden as it's territory? I certainly wouldn't.

So Harry went on a Water Buffalo hunt and had his picture taken w/it and...? The way some are reacting, you'd think we were talking about Juan Carlos' infamous Elephant Hunt. This is not on the same level no matter how much you scream, rant and rave about it.

Sadly this one of those issues where you're either willing to listen and learn there is a difference between responsible hunting and that it does have a place and part in Conservation work or the Propaganda put out by PETA and other so called organizations (I don't mean the WWF or United for Wildlife or others like them) on the same low level they are. IMHO, they have brainwashed so many w/so much misinformation about issues to do w/Animal Welfare and Conservation, they've actually caused more problems for everyone concerning Animal Welfare and Conservation Issues.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Lots of people here in the midwest hunt for food as a necessity. A 20.00 deer tag (or other game) can get you quite a bit of meat. The state I live in has over 1 million deer...and they reintroduced elk a few years ago as well...already having hunts (small amounts of tags) on them.

LaRae

The deer population in our small city has become so bad the city called in sharp shooters to thin the herd. The meat was all donated to a food pantry. They even took donations to process it. True conservation helps keep everything in balane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom