The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

Back from lunch - now just gone 1.30pm - and the helicopters have just stopped hovering over the Opera House. I think Prince Harry must now be on his way to the Macquarie University Clinic.

Just watching the recording I set up on the TV. The Prince is dressed in his fatigues and beret.

School children sitting on the Opera House Forecourt steps - lots of laughs, whatever Harry is saying.

Seems to be enormous crowds. Lunch time for everyone, but the Opera House isn't that close to all the city offices. People must have come in from the suburbs. (And without much notice - this event was only announced yesterday.)

Young ladies in "MARRY ME HARRY" T shirts. One young lady, interviewed on the morning news before Prince Harry's arrival, tried to get his attention with a large sign while in a kayak on the water during his last visit for the Naval Review in 2013. Her sign this time says it's his last chance.

The Prince is getting a lot of soft toys, koalas etc., handed over.

Every time the shots are from the helicopters, or high up on the steps, you can see just massive crowds. Amazing, as so many people a few rows back mustn't be seeing much.

People not just shaking his hand, but hugging his arm or shoulder - so nice. Lots of cheering. Harry must be feeling very appreciated.

What a great public send off for Prince Harry's time with us in the land of Oz.

(And yes, Sydney is also called the Emerald City in case you didn't know - though that's not actually a compliment if you ever see the David Williamson play/Nicole Kidman movie.)

P.S. Just saw a photo of the above young lady managing to give the Prince a kiss - her persistance paid off then.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

May 7: Prince Harry's walkabout at the Sydney Opera House
Getty Images Gallery

The nanas - and everyone really - just love Harry!

Old 05-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
what does this mean? What is spitting the dummy? Australian is indeed its own language

"Spiting the dummy" gerry is having a tanty. Acting like a baby and throwing a tantrum.

Another well-used phrase is "Not happy Jan" - can be used in the same situations as "spit the dummy".

("Not happy Jan!" came a few years ago from a popular "Yellow Pages" TV ad, where poor Jan didn't get her company details in on time. Jan is last seen heading for the carpark with her boss yelling out the window, "Not happy Jan!".)
Old 05-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Heir Apparent

It's lovely! People really respond to him. I saw a 'Harry for PM' sign, though I really wouldn't go that far! I expect the toy koalas, soft toys etc will end up in the nursery with George and Charlotte.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Yep, spitting the dummy alright, I'm a high rate tax payer!!!! And its about his flying detours well above and beyond any normal secondment would allow, not any food he has purchased.

I'm a tax payer too (not a high rate one ! lucky you) I love that Harry has been here.
It has brighten up some worrying days I've had.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Back from lunch - now just gone 1.30pm - and the helicopters have just stopped hovering over the Opera House.

I think Prince Harry must now be on his way to the Macquarie University Clinic.

Just watching the recording I set up on the TV.

The Prince is dressed in his fatigues and beret.

School children sitting on the Opera House Forecourt steps - lots of laughs, whatever Harry is saying.

Seems to be enormous crowds. Lunch time for everyone, but the Opera House isn't that close to all the city offices.

People must have come in from the suburbs. (And without much notice - this event was only announced yesterday.)

Young ladies in "MARRY ME HARRY" T shirts.

The Prince is getting a lot of soft toys, koalas etc., handed over.

Every time the shots are from the helicopters, or high up on the steps, you can see just massive crowds.

Amazing, as so many people a few rows back mustn't be seeing much.

People not just shaking his hand, but hugging his arm or shoulder - so nice.

Lots of cheering. Harry must be feeling very appreciated.

What a great public send off for Prince Harry's time with us in the land of Oz.

(And yes, Sydney is also called the Emerald City in case you didn't know - though that's not actually a compliment if you ever see the David Williamson play/Nicole Kidman movie.)

Yes wasn't it wonderful he made a lot of people very happy
Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Yes wasn't it wonderful he made a lot of people very happy

And you know royal rob, Prince Harry must have been a bit blown away by it all - today's send off - and his arrival earlier in Canberra, rain and yet happy Aussies out to see him.

He may not have been expecting quite the amount of warmth and goodwill.

P.S. The school children dobbed their teacher in to Prince Harry telling him she liked him, so he called her over and gave her a hug.

PP.S. royal rob, did you see the sense of humour - Harry jumping up and down while shaking hands with someone.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:03 AM
Serene Highness

Big crowds at Macqurie Uni as well.

Prince Harry will be addressing the media.

Now 3.23pm and live broadcast of Prince Harry answering questions from the media at Macquarie University.

Talking about the operation the British soldier just underwent, his time in Australia, how we've followed his eating habits while here, being at Bondi Beach this morning, Princess Charlotte.

He may be blushing - unless he got a bit of sunburn.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A few articles about Harry's visit to the Opera House:

Schoolkids giggle as Prince Harry hugs their teacher - 9news.com.au
Prince Harry farewells Australia, greets fans at Sydney Harbour - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Prince Harry charms Opera House crowd as curtain falls on Australian visit

And, like his father back in the late '70s, Harry received a kiss from a young woman:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227341252011
Old 05-07-2015, 01:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
And you know royal rob, Prince Harry must have been a bit blown away by it all - today's send off - and his arrival earlier in Canberra, rain and yet happy Aussies out to see him.

He may not have been expecting quite the amount of warmth and goodwill.

P.S. The school children dobbed their teacher in to Prince Harry telling him she liked him, so he called her over and gave her a hug.

PP.S. royal rob, did you see the sense of humour - Harry jumping up and down while shaking hands with someone.

Yes there some very happy school children and a teacher who must be pinching herself
Old 05-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Thanks for all the pics and articles Not least to Sun Lion, our resident TRF reporter on the ground.

I always enjoy following Harry when he's abroad. His people skills are brilliant and he's a good counter weight to W&K. Good.

But what's the word on the street? How is the ordinary Australian seeing this visit?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Heir Apparent

They were ordinary Australians who served him food, like the ladies who giggled that Harry was 'very handsome' when they sold him a pork roll. Ordinary Australians, the man in the street and their families, waited four hours or more at the Sydney Opera House. The men in the military who went out for a meal with him one evening are ordinary Australians. Aussies like Harry for his sense of fun and his down to earth nature. I've honestly never heard any of my fellow Australians say anything really bad about Harry.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I'm a tax payer too (not a high rate one ! lucky you) I love that Harry has been here.
It has brighten up some worrying days I've had.
Well then, it is all worth it!!

He did seem to do a good job at brightening up quite a few people's day today, at the Opera House.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
what does this mean? What is spitting the dummy? Australian is indeed its own language
'Spitting the dummy' means to have a tantrum.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Speaking for the people I mix with everyone has loved having Harry here. Most have been impressed with the way he interacts with everyone from school children to the elderly. I know I will get hammered for saying this but most say "oh he's so like his Mum she would be so proud" and that's something I totally agree with .
Old 05-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think some of the petty comments here by a few disgruntled Australians are particularly indicative of how Prince Harry's visit was seen by most Australians. It seems to me people have enjoyed having him here, not that we really saw much of him. Just two public engagements, one on the first day of his secondment, and the other today on his last day. Very little information on his secondment duties was made public, no doubt so he could be left to make the most of his experience without intrusive media attention. Accusations of Prince Harry being on a relaxed little holiday designed to pander to his fans are pathetic. I suspect many republican minded Australians are just annoyed at the genuine affection shown by many more Australians towards Prince Harry. In response we get the dummy spits over costs, and snide comments about jolly visits to the colonies, what ho!

As to the costs, I couldn't care less. The Commonwealth and State Governments spend much more money on things that don't interest me, like the millions of dollars wasted annually for Victoria to host the Grand Prix, so I don't care how much the Government chipped in for Prince Harry's stay. So his flight from Perth to Sydney took a more northerly route so he could see some of the sights? Big deal. A few weeks ago a State Government flushed over a billion dollars down the drain because of a cancelled contract. Now that was something to get annoyed about. I'm not even interested in justifying the costs with the old chestnut about all the publicity the Prince's visit generated for Australia. Even if all it generated was a tiny article on page three of The Pyongyang Times, it was worth it.

Prince Harry was most welcome in Australia, and as Royal Rob said, he made a lot of people very happy. That's enough for me.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Chubb Fuddler well said I totally agree 💐

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM
Majesty

Thanks for your feedback, Chubb Fuddler, royal rob & curryong

That's good to hear.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 AM
Serene Highness

Australia loves Prince Harry Muhler - and Prince Harry loves Australia.

Again today he said a couple of times that he didn't want to leave.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I could see how a former penal colony would appeal to Harry <G>

LaRae

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry