The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't know how much actual soldiering Harry is doing. The photos are nice but it looks more like a Tom Cruise film than a tactical military exercise.

This has always been the dilemma/debate, how much of Harry's army career is/was PR and how much was actually being a soldier.

William faced the same questions when he served in the RAF
Yeah, what else can this be but a PR job? I don't get the necessity of this secondment. A waste really, someone who is actually in the army long term should be in his place.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Soldiers who served with Harry in Afghanistan and elsewhere, including the aircrew who were with him, never said that Harry was anything other than professional and they said he never asked for special treatment. He did the same things they did in exactly the same way.

There seems to be a resentment that Harry's been seconded here by some. Well, I'm an Aussie, too, and so are my adult married daughters who admired those photos of him in the aboriginal community. I'm glad he's here, glad that he fished for a little while and glad he went on patrol with Aussie soldiers Harry's seen having a joke with.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Soldiers who served with Harry in Afghanistan and elsewhere, including the aircrew who were with him, never said that Harry was anything other than professional and they said he never asked for special treatment. He did the same things they did in exactly the same way.
I have no reason to doubt that he did his job in as professional way as the Queen's grandson and future king's son could. By this I don't mean that his family connections meant he was not dedicated, merely that it may have meant some restraints were imposed upon him.

I have no objection whatsoever to him being in Australia and having a lovely time exploring and fishing and playing whatever games he's playing with his Australian army colleagues. I only object to our government having to pay for his adventure holiday, which I am sure it is, at least partly. He is a wealthy man and can well afford to pay for his own holidays.

I also think that the "secondment", if it is indeed a valid army thing, ought to have been given to one of his fellows who is in the army for the long haul, who needs his job to pay his bills and who might obtain some real benefit from this attachment. Harry's leaving the army in a few weeks so what's the point of giving it to him?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I also think that the "secondment", if it is indeed a valid army thing, ought to have been given to one of his fellows who is in the army for the long haul, who needs his job to pay his bills and who might obtain some real benefit from this attachment. Harry's leaving the army in a few weeks so what's the point of giving it to him?
Exactly so! What's up? In a year, looking back, we'll be able to figure it out, maybe.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Then why not complain to the Australian Army chiefs, who no doubt invited him? Harry, or any other member of the royal family doesn't get invited to Australia without the say-so of Government and Army leaders.

I doubt that manoeuvres in the Northern Territory could be regarded as a holiday. If any of us tried it we would soon find out how rugged it is.

The Queen was still the Queen of Australia the last time I looked, and judging by the crowds' reaction when her grandson Prince Harry visited the War Memorial, he is welcome here. I've no doubt he was welcomed here by his army colleagues among Australian Diggers.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Then why not complain to the Australian Army chiefs, who no doubt invited him? Harry, or any other member of the royal family doesn't get invited to Australia without the say-so of Government and Army leaders.
It's not a bad idea, actually, and I might do it if I can find an easy way to communicate with them. But what's the point in complaining? No-one's going to pay any attention. Our current Prime Minister is the cringe-worthy, sycophantic, monarchist who gave Prince Philip an Australian knighthood, and it was probably another sycophantic monarchist who extended the invitation to Harry.

Quote:
I doubt that manoeuvres in the Northern Territory could be regarded as a holiday. If any of us tried it we would soon find out how rugged it is.
Come one! He loves that stuff.

Quote:
The Queen was still the Queen of Australia the last time I looked, and judging by the crowds' reaction when her grandson Prince Harry visited the War Memorial, he is welcome here. I've no doubt he was welcomed here by his army colleagues among Australian Diggers.
The Queen might be the Queen of Australia, but she is still a foreigner. Further, it is only the monarch who has any sort of constitutional role here; her family members have none. Harry is a fairly likeable chap but why should we foot the bill for his holidays here? The Mountbatten-Windsors come here as guests. There are lots of people that Australians like seeing and welcome warmly, but I doubt they'd take kindly to the idea of paying the expenses of every celebrity who visits us.

ETA Rather than wasting time complaining to someone who couldn't give a hoot what I think, I just joined the Australian Republican Movement.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Harry is flying back to London for the weekend. He'll be attending the London Marathon on Sunday.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

British Royals @britishroyals · 15m 15 minutes ago
Prince Harry will now possibly get a chance to meet his new nephew/niece with his short UK stop this Sunday -- if it arrives by then!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow! He gets around, doesn't he.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

He is patron of the London marathon

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Several Off-topic and/or unnecessary posts have been deleted as they added nothing to the discussion. Members are reminded that if they have an issue with a post or indeed The Royal Forums itself, they may use the report button or contact one of the Moderators rather than raise the matter within the threads.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Prince harry was with his father yesterday in turkey
Old 04-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, taking part in the ceremonies in his uniform, undertaking readings, meeting war widows and doing exceptionally well, as usual.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

That's nice. It's the military. What is it with the Brit's? Heir and a spare? So he goes serving in different places where the Queen has title. That is a good thing. Right? More uniform bling or pizzazz for his resume. Listen, with the unfathomable stuff the royals have to do, better one of them is familiar with the current now in enlistment life. Those children of William and Kate will be going to enlist before you know it, time flies.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Thumbahlina not sure why you are here if you don't care about the royals. However Harry is leaving the military later this year to do private work. William has already left the military to take on a private job flying rescue helicopters.

LaRae
Old 04-27-2015, 03:14 AM
Courtier

I don't actually understand what Thumbahlina is trying to say
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Chris Urquhart @chrisurquhart · 29m 29 minutes ago
Prince Harry has arrived in Perth overnight to continue his military commitments in Australia. Exclusive pictures on @TheTodayShow

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-30-2015, 04:16 AM
Courtier

New photos of Prince Harry - on a night off in Perth - are now out.

Good on the Prince for refusing a cordoned off VIP area, and instead choosing to sit in the centre of the room amongst the other sixty to seventy patrons of "The Stables" last night, (Wednesday 29th Australian time).

Sparkling water, pork and dessert with eight military mates - sounds like a good night out.

And a handshake for the manager and word with the staff - nice touch.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince Harry at the Stables Bar, Perth CBD | Princely dinner
Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry refuses to sit in VIP area of Perth's The Stables Bar to dine with patrons | Daily Mail Online

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry