Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

If Charles was a help and support to his sons in their grief and anguish I'm glad. However, it has been noted here and elsewhere that the only relative Harry mentioned as urging him to get help for his conflicted feelings was his brother.

But that doesn't mean Prince Charles didn't make an effort to talk with Harry or get him some counseling when he was young. Both William & Harry probably did receive counseling as youngsters, but once again like Harry said, it's not that easy to get the right help from the right person at the right time. Plus, he'd already shut himself down immediately after his mother's death, in order to manage the pain. Even if the person(s) who gave Harry counsel when he was 12 and 13 recognized that he was hiding his anguish behind protective barriers, there's no surefire way to get through to an adolescent who is suffering from grief.

As we know, William is the person who Harry trusts most in the world and knows the best (and vice versa), moreso apparently than the public realizes. That's probably why Harry specifically mentioned William's efforts and support, which does not mean Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip for that matter, didn't also try to help Harry in their own individual ways.

The podcast wasn't about Harry going on long and drawn out about his emotional suffering and which family members supported him. It was just under 30 minutes, and Harry always found a way to bring the conversation about his emotional struggles back to what he learned that has enabled him to help others. That's the point. :flowers:

Last edited:
The Diana fans will always continue to try to destroy Charles as most of them believe that in destroying Charles they are doing what Diana would have wanted.

Charles' supporters are often guilty of trashing Diana in support of Charles but also as a counter to the Diana fans way of blaming everything on Charles.

The press have their favourites as well - Richard Kay was always a Diana person and lost a lot when he lost access to the inner sanctum of royal gossip which he did when she died as he was her mouthpiece. He tried, initially, to be supportive of Charles but then found out that having so publicly called Charles out at times he didn't have the entre he had had previously to the boys and to the royal gossip. He know has to either make stuff or rehash the stories from when Diana had him on speed dial.
Yes, I know all that, but thanks for telling me!

But that doesn't mean Prince Charles didn't make an effort to talk with Harry or get him some counseling when he was young. Both William & Harry probably did receive counseling as youngster, but once again like Harry said, it's not that easy to get the right help from the right person at the right time. Plus, he'd already shut himself down immediately after his mother's death, in order to manage the pain. Even if the person(s) who gave Harry counsel when he was 12 and 13 recognized that he was hiding his anguish behind protective barriers, there's no surefire way to get through to an adolescent who is suffering from grief.

As we know, William is the person who Harry trusts most in the world and knows the best (and vice versa), moreso apparently than the public realizes. That's probably why Harry specifically mentioned William's efforts and support, which does not mean Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip for that matter, didn't also try to help Harry in their own individual ways.

The podcast wasn't about Harry going on long and drawn out about his emotional suffering and which family members supported him. It was just under 30 minutes, and Harry always found a way to bring the conversation about his emotional struggles back to what he learned that has enabled him to help others. That's the point. :flowers:
Exactly! Tell that to the press.

I don't agree! (but I don't think that is coming as a surprise) And I don't understand how people can say that Diana was a better parent or better at connecting with people on an emotional level than Charles, especially after everything we've heard from very reliable sources in the last 20 years.

But @jacqui24 did not say that Diana was a better parent than Prince Charles. In fact, jacqui24 emphasized that Prince Charles and Diana Princess of Wales, were both good parents. If you disagree with a poster, it might be helpful to not misconstrue what a poster said that you are in disagreement with. :)

As far as Diana connecting with people more on an emotional level than Prince Charles, I believe that part is absolutely true, which is not a put down on Prince Charles. I feel that Prince Charles is very sensitive and compassionate toward others, but I don't think that his upbringing and his personality have enabled him to be as in touch with others on a deep emotional level in the way that he personally might wish to be, which again is not to say that he doesn't connect emotionally at all (and that's not what jacqui24 said either).

Prince Charles is a good person and a very sensitive and caring person, but he was taught (almost to the point of thrashing) to toughen up and put on a stiff upper lip in the face of troubles.

Last edited:
I think this thread has gone in the wrong direction. Shouldn't all this be talked about in the Heads Together Thread?

But @jacqui24 did not say that Diana was a better parent than Prince Charles. In fact, jacqui24 emphasized that Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales were both good parents. If you disagree with a poster, it might be helpful to not misconstrue what a poster said that you are in disagreement with. :)

As far as Diana connecting with people more on an emotional level than Prince Charles, I believe that part is absolutely true, which is not a put down on Prince Charles. I feel that Prince Charles is very sensitive and compassionate toward others, but I don't think that his upbringing and his personality have enabled him to be as in touch with others on a deep emotional level in the way that he personally might wish to be, which again is not to say that he doesn't connect emotionally at all (and that's not what jacqui24 said either).

Prince Charles is a good person and a very sensitive and caring person, but he was taught (almost to the point of thrashing) to toughen up and put on a stiff upper lip in the face of troubles.
1. I didn't say that he did.

2. I try not to do that, but thanks for correcting me.

3. Again, I don't agree, but I won't take that discussion here.

4. I think that was a bit harsh (especially if this was meant as a dig at the Queen), but I won't take that discussion here either.

I think this thread has gone in the wrong direction. Shouldn't all this be talked about in the Heads Together Thread?
Agrees!

Imo there's no need to nit pick that article. In no where there did I sense any digs at Charles, or him getting thrown utb. The point of the article was for Harry to encourage people to get help, he did. He had struggles, he hid them, even from himself, and wasn't ready to get help. He was encouraged by his brother, because he knows exactly the position Harry is in. It's sad, that there's such a need to rip apart through unnecessary cynicism and fanfare this very necessary effort to normalize mental health problems, and getting help for them.

Imo there's no need to nit pick that article. In no where there did I sense any digs at Charles, or him getting thrown utb. The point of the article was for Harry to encourage people to get help, he did. He had struggles, he hid them, even from himself, and wasn't ready to get help. He was encouraged by his brother, because he knows exactly the position Harry is in. It's sad, that there's such a need to rip apart through unnecessary cynicism and fanfare this very necessary effort to normalize mental health problems, and getting help for them.
1. The point with Richard Kay's article was to tell about ''A young prince in turmoil, who he turned to and who let him down''.

2. That wasn't my intention, but I apologize if people were offended by my comments.

Some of the attitudes shown here beggar belief. Does this happen with other European royal families? Is every good thing examined to see if it is "real" or a PR move or worse an "obvious" snide dig at another member of the family? (Actually, I hadn't heard any reputable royal polls showing Harry's choice of a girlfriend was not popular and his standing had dropped accordingly.

Ignorance really can be a killer.

4. I think that was a bit harsh (especially if this was meant as a dig at the Queen), but I won't take that discussion here either.

Most definitely not meant as any kind of dig at Queen Elizabeth II. Please don't misconstrue again. ;)

Prince Philip, on the other hand. :ermm: I don't think it's any secret that Charles' father, Prince Philip has a strong, robust personality which is very different from Prince Charles' more sensitive personality. There are numerous accounts of Prince Philip being a stern taskmaster where his son, Charles, was concerned. I understand this is a rather complicated issue, best not gone into in this thread. And it's not that I don't appreciate Prince Philip's strong and wonderful qualities. He's from a different generation and he went through some exceedingly hard knocks growing up in a family that were forced into exile, which drastically affected his parents' relationship and their emotional well-being. Fortunately for Philip, he was blessed with a positive disposition and a robust, aggressive outlook on life.

As to the suggestion that the emotional context of Prince Harry's podcast should be discussed in the Heads Together thread, one of the moderators actually moved references to Harry's comments in the podcast to this thread. :)

Last edited:
I don't agree! (but I don't think that is coming as a surprise) And I don't understand how people can say that Diana was a better parent or better at connecting with people on an emotional level than Charles, especially after everything we've heard from very reliable sources in the last 20 years.

Where did I say she was a better parent? All I said was she was more emotional person and showed her emotions more freely, and that's not surprising considering. She did connect better with people because well, just look at the work she did. There is a reason why the BRF symbolized stiff upper lip and Diana was dubbed The People's Princess. She took on issues that people were afraid to. She connected with those that she stood up for. While I don't doubt that Prince Charles is sensitive. He was taught from a young age that it's weakness and toughen up.

And btw, I don't see how the boys talking about their mother is cutting the ground from under their father? She's an important person in their life. Her life and untimely death shaped a lot of things in their life. That is probably the most traumatic thing that's ever happened to them so far in life. Nowhere did Harry say other members of his family wasn't supportive. He merely pointed out his brother was there for him. Why do people take that to be Charles was a bad parent or something? And it's not the Diana fans on here that does it. It's the Charles fans that are doing it here. Harry told his story, and it was his brother that was instrumental in him seeking help after 15+ years of bottling up his emotions from his mother's death. He sought help, and realized how important it is for people to talk about their problems. Now he's trying to do some good with it. End of story.

Last edited:
"Princess Diana's former bodyguard has spoken out to praise Prince Harry as a 'new Diana' after his courageous decision to speak openly about mental illness.
Ken Wharfe said Harry's brave move to talk so freely about his own personal demons has put a 'spotlight' on a subject that few are willing talking about.
'It is a courageous thing to do and he is really continuing his mother's legacy by championing a cause that few others would tackle. I am sure she would be so proud' the former close protection officer said. "

Some of the attitudes shown here beggar belief. Does this happen with other European royal families? Is every good thing examined to see if it is "real" or a PR move or worse an "obvious" snide dig at another member of the family? (Actually, I hadn't heard any reputable royal polls showing Harry's choice of a girlfriend was not popular and his standing had dropped accordingly.

Ignorance really can be a killer.

Neither have I, but I decided to let that one pass.;)

I am also baffled why any praise or loving memory expressed by the princes William and Harry toward their late mother must mean that they are denigrating their father and stepmother, or why Harry's singling out his brother for steering him on the path to recovery must mean Charles was negligent.

Why?:sad:

I go and get myself a very good, long, 12 hour sleep and I wake up to find a thread filled with people still dissecting Harry's wonderful, open and honest interview about emotional problems as if it was a blame game. Who was the better parent? Who was closer to Harry? Who could have done more? Those kind of questions, in my opinion, do not need to be asked. No one is at fault and no one could have "done better" and most certainly Harry, with his total openness and honesty talking about himself and his problems and how he dealt with or didn't deal with things came from the heart and the very last thing I would imagine he'd like to hear that was a result of his interview is the nitpicking that he forgot his father, his closeness to his family being debated and who could have done more. I bet it would make him feel that the entire message and purpose of the interview was totally lost.

Emotional problems happen all the time to all kinds of people from all walks of life. Close families, estranged families, Brady Bunch families and single parent families. You name it. How someone handles emotional traumas is a very individualistic process and only the individual themselves knows the extent of the turmoil going on within. For this reason alone, in the majority of suicide cases, there were no red flags or markers that pointed to the fact that the person was even considering suicide as an option.

Harry wasn't addressing and talking about failures in his parenting nor the lack of love and caring by those close to him nor was he talking about anything other than his own experiences, how he shut down his emotions and buried the need to grieve for his mother and talk about her and remember her. He was squelching the hurt that came with those actions. His aim and his goal by sharing what he went through was solely for the purpose that someone else wouldn't have to go through what he did.

This is what I got from Harry's interview and to me, it was a very strong and potent message and if just one person that heard Harry can come to realize that he is not alone in what he's going through and feeling, then Harry's reaching out has made his interview worthwhile.

It takes a mountain of courage to do what Harry did.

:previous: Well said, Osipi. :flowers:

I'm also first and foremost interested in what he said, what message he has and what the impact is.

I agree, Osipi. :flowers: Well said.

P.S. I would have a few caveats but not relevant here.

Last edited:
Osipi, I agree with everything you wrote about Harry and his wonderfull interview! I actually agree with most of what you write in your positive posts, and I always try to give feedback in using the thanks button.

I go and get myself a very good, long, 12 hour sleep and I wake up to find a thread filled with people still dissecting Harry's wonderful, open and honest interview about emotional problems as if it was a blame game. Who was the better parent? Who was closer to Harry? Who could have done more?

That wasn't my intention at all, but I apologize (again) if people were offended by (what I thinks is) my non-offending comments.

I don't agree with the ''Prince Harry is the new Diana article'' that eya posted either, but (in risk of offending even more people here) I won't comment on it.

And as I said in an previous post here, Harry deserves all the praise he gets (both before/after this interview) from the press and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
the very last thing I would imagine he'd like to hear that was a result of his interview is the nitpicking that he forgot his father, his closeness to his family being debated and who could have done more. I bet it would make him feel that the entire message and purpose of the interview was totally lost

I completely agree and will only add that it can be very hard for even the most loving and concerned family members to help someone who has shut down emotionally or is refusing to acknowledge a problem, which is what Harry describes. And that it can also be difficult to figure out how to get through to a teenager or young adult even under the best of circumstances.

It's Harry's story and I don't think he has to stop a think oh better say something about my father. If he says Will helped him then that's what happened and I do find it telling that he says Will helped him. Lovely to have a caring brother

This is so true, also it was only a part of Harry's story designed to role model and encourage others. It's not like he was writing his autobiography. I would hope that the article regarding Charles is about the courtiers being petty and not Charles being upset.

What a lovely, lovely gesture to spend time with these two precious children and to correspond with their parents privately. Harry is a naturally caring and kindhearted individual and this shows him at his best. Wellchild is a good fit for this man.
Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
What a lovely, lovely gesture to spend time with these two precious children and to correspond with their parents privately. Harry is a naturally caring and kindhearted individual and this shows him at his best. Wellchild is a good fit for this man.
Thanks for the link!

Yes how lovely. I hope it gave some comfort to the family

Yes, it would be heartbreaking to have one child in the family with this rare disorder, let alone two. But the parents cope somehow, and I'm glad that, possibly through the publicity given to WellChild and Harry being Patron, experimental treatment was offered.

Parents do what they have to. They are strong, they fight for their kids. There are days they probably lock themselves in their bedroom at night and cry. But they get up the next morning to do it all again. They fight to find a cure, they fight to make their kids comfortable. They fight to give their kids the best life possible in what time they have. It's harder when you face losing two, but fight you still do. Especially when you also have two healthy sons. Two sons who you also need to remember. Who are also struggling watching their siblings. But who are also children who need love and attention. Finding a balance, so all four children get your love and energy, is the hardest.

I can't even imagine being the parent. I have unfortunately watched many families watch their children die. Prayed with them, laughed with them, cried with them. It's the hardest and yet most rewarding thing one can do. Working with sick kids, it's not all about giving medicine.

Harry can do a lot of good. There are so many illnesses out there that many people have no idea of. Being there brings smile to the kids, some hope. But also brings much needed public attention to such a good cause.

It takes a certain kind of a person that would actively be not only a health care provider but also a person that realizes that like the Duke of Edinburgh who has always been the Queen's "strength and stay", they also become part of the family caring for the child and become a source of compassion, caring and sometimes a pillar of strength to lean on. A kind word, a gentle hug and the assurance that the child is getting the best possible care can sometimes be the port in storm that gets them through the night.

Harry isn't a health care provider but he's proved that, in his own way, he can be the "strength and stay" to families that he's met. He lets them know they're not forgotten nor is what they're going through and to that family, it means the world to them. Not because he's a prince of the UK or that he's the patron of an organization but because he's a caring and thoughtful human being. He's demonstrated this character trait time and time again and it never fails to warm my heart when he does things like this.

We need more people in this world like Harry and our own Countessmeout.

God bless Harry for reaching out and visiting this very sick child.

Harry made a hit with the three children of a soldier killed by the Taliban when they all met at the Buckingham Palace Garden Party. (This article is nearly all Harry and the bereaved family, whose little girl was born with white streaks in her hair because of her mother's trauma at her husband's death.)

Three children and their proud mother meet Prince Harry | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom