Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pictures, though. Harry enjoys these sort of events and does them well. It's wonderful that so many aged veterans who took part in the D-day landings are still with us and looking spry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The discussion about Prince Harry and his lack of tie at a recent engagement, have been moved to the Fashion and Style of Royal Men thread. You can continue the discussion there.

I like Springsteen's music. He probably really enjoyed himself. I can imagine it was a great night!

She's the daughter of the bassist. I haven't listen to Springsteen since the 80's.

Nothing wrong with a nostalgia kick! Harry is said to love all sorts of music and follows many bands.

The focus on projects rather than 'upping' numbers has been stated by KP since day 1. This model is consistent with what William, Catherine and Harry want to accomplish.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
So Prince Harry has no plans to get a regular job and no plans to up his number of royal engagements to the level of his grandfather, 95.

Harry will continue to champion military veterans, mental health etc, encourage young people to get into conservation, and work on HIV/AIDS

Wounded warriors will continue to be a priority but he won't necessarily continue to volunteer part-time regularly at London District.

Harry's focus will be on projects, rather than upping the number of engagements. He wants to make a difference.

No doubt there will be the usual spats on Twitter between William, Kate, and Harry fans over who does more etc.

If the focus is on qualtity over quantity, perhaps William, Kate and Harry will ultimately be judged on what they actually achieve.

One problem Prince Harry faces is, don't we all know that sport can help young people escape poverty and other ills? What's new?

Might it help if Kensington Palace was able to explain more clearly some defined objectives and ways of measuring the success of projects?

On mental health, it is possible to see how attitudes and public policy are changing but it's still difficult to explain W, K, and H's aims.

Last edited:
Learned nothing really new in the info Richard tweeted about. Stuff we already knew about.

Well it's a year this month since Harry left the army. The 'update' is, there is no update.

Harry will continue to do his thing, no job, and won't be volunteering as much with veterans. No up tick in the number of engagements

Last edited:
I dislike the comparisons of the young royals official engagement numbers with The Queen and Prince Philip's engagement numbers. Elizabeth and Philip carry out duties that Harry, his brother and sis in-law can't do, and it has taken Liz and Philip years to rack up the roles they are responsible for.

^^^ I agree. I don't normally rate Richard Palmer but when he 'criticises' William and Kate people take it as the gospel.

William, Catherine and Harry have made it known since day 1, that the focus of their charity endeavours will be through the Royal Foundation

Last edited:
I also dislike that. It ignores the context that they operate under. If reporters and others want to start a discussion on whether the older royals should be limited to have the young royals step up then I'd be open to it. However, it usually just dwindles to 140 characters of comparing numbers with no background, which is more destructive than productive.

What I'm seeing that I totally agree with is the phrase "Quality over quantity".

Cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques certainly are nice and it'd be easy to go from one place to another and do this 5 times a day. Bump up those numbers! Photo ops out the wazoo! That's quantity and pretty much the kind of thing that is forgotten by the next week.

What I didn't like was Palmer's barb "If the focus is on qualtity over quantity, perhaps William, Kate and Harry will ultimately be judged on what they actually achieve." It kind of insinuates that they've yet to actually accomplish anything where, IMO, they have succeeded in numerous ways that wouldn't have happened cutting ribbons and unveiling plaques.

Mr. Palmer also needs a spell checker before he tweets anything.

I also don't understand the last Tweet on how it's difficult to understand their aims. He says public policy and opinion are changing...that's their aim...is it not? What else could it be?

There's a difference in the expectations between Harry and the Cambridge's. I think outside of him serving in Afghanistan, Harry's biggest achievement is the INVICTUS Games.

But, Harry is 5th in line to the throne. We can debate what the third generation royals should do, but if the Cambridges should do 'more', Harry should do more than Anne, Andrew or Edward, as he is closer to the throne.

Harry has been able to avoid tabloid 'criticism', but the time will come when the Sun and DM attack him for being 'work-shy', it's just the cycle.

But, Harry is 5th in line to the throne. We can debate what the third generation royals should do, but if the Cambridges should do 'more', Harry should do more than Anne, Andrew or Edward, as he is closer to the throne.

Harry has been able to avoid tabloid 'criticism', but the time will come when the Sun and DM attack him for being 'work-shy', it's just the cycle.

The thing is responsibility have to be passed down to Harry. Outside of carrying out Royal tours, nothing really has come down Harry's way. His roles will grow as responsibility is passed to him.

His father once talked about how he had to carve out and define his own role as the PoW in an odd situation where the modern world expected him to be out and work, but still wait out until his mother was no longer Queen. I'm sure Harry will also do the same. As it's happening it might look strange or non-traditional, but that's what comes with change.

The thing is responsibility have to be passed down to Harry. Outside of carrying out Royal tours, nothing really has come down Harry's way. His roles will grow as responsibility is passed to him.

That goes for all royals. Harry has been able to avoid criticism, but the time will come when tabloids go after him just like the Cambridges.

I'm no fan of Richard Palmer, but when he has a go at William and Catherine, some people treat him as a God.

Soon, the headlines will read, 'Harry does less than his 95 year old grandfather'

That goes for all royals. Harry has been able to avoid criticism, but the time will come when tabloids go after him just like the Cambridges.

I'm no fan of Richard Palmer, but when he has a go at William and Catherine, some people treat him as a God.

Soon, the headlines will read, 'Harry does less than his 95 year old grandfather'

I agree, he do escape criticism. I think that's due to him being to handsome royal teddy bear that everyone love, and the young ladies want to marry. He's the media darling that some think William should take after.

Although, with The Queen being 90 and Prince Philip turning 95, the media and others will now look to the young royals to truly step up. As you said, the media will turn their attention to Harry's workload and goals.

The update on Harry's future (which really wasn't an update) won't fly for long with the media and others. The voices for clarity will grow louder.

Last edited:
His father once talked about how he had to carve out and define his own role as the PoW in an odd situation where the modern world expected him to be out and work, but still wait out until his mother was no longer Queen. I'm sure Harry will also do the same. As it's happening it might look strange or non-traditional, but that's what comes with change.

Not only because of change but also because of longevity of the reigning monarch. To have adult royal grandchildren of a monarch isn't something that happens often.

I am sorry but since when? Royals have very few 'official duties'. He need not inherit patronages. He seems to have spent the past few years carving a niche with walking with the wounded. It seems bizarre he take a step back.

Its not a matter of how many patronages, but actual work with them. If you only have 6 patronages that is fine, but if you only visit them 3 times a year, that is a problem. If you are limiting quantity to improve quality, then you got to step it up on the quality side as well. Harry's work with Invictus is great an shows real quality, an so did his walking with the wounded which is why it saddens me he is lowering his involvement.

Nobody is asking them to do 5 duties a day. Even if they averaged 2 a week (which constitutes about 4 hours at most) that would be more events then they do in a year (52 weeks). heck they could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and take the rest of the week off for the kids or private life.

I find it funny people say they want quality, that cutting ribbons is one thing but.... that is exactly what they have been doing. They do tours and cut ribbons for the most part. They aren't walking dogs in shelters, and cany striping in hospitals. They aren't doing hands on work. They are very much shaking hands, touring and such. With the rare exception of Harry's veteran events, and the odd sports related event for the Cambridges.

I am sorry but since when? Royals have very few 'official duties'. He need not inherit patronages. He seems to have spent the past few years carving a niche with walking with the wounded. It seems bizarre he take a step back.

Its not a matter of how many patronages, but actual work with them. If you only have 6 patronages that is fine, but if you only visit them 3 times a year, that is a problem. If you are limiting quantity to improve quality, then you got to step it up on the quality side as well. Harry's work with Invictus is great an shows real quality, an so did his walking with the wounded which is why it saddens me he is lowering his involvement.

Nobody is asking them to do 5 duties a day. Even if they averaged 2 a week (which constitutes about 4 hours at most) that would be more events then they do in a year (52 weeks). heck they could do one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and take the rest of the week off for the kids or private life.

I find it funny people say they want quality, that cutting ribbons is one thing but.... that is exactly what they have been doing. They do tours and cut ribbons for the most part. They aren't walking dogs in shelters, and cany striping in hospitals. They aren't doing hands on work. They are very much shaking hands, touring and such. With the rare exception of Harry's veteran events, and the odd sports related event for the Cambridges.

Harry's list of engagements will increase when he's given some more responsibility and the more he involves himself in his charities.

Not sure why Harry is cutting down his volunteering duties.

Not sure why Harry is cutting down his volunteering duties.

Perhaps getting ready to shift into something more specific...

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom