Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry joking and the DM not 'getting it'.

Prince Harry calls a double-amputee a 'lunatic' a 2nd time on*Armistice Day 2015 | Daily Mail Online

I read the other day that Charles shells out perhaps as much as two and a half million on allowances for William, Kate and Harry from Duchy funds each year.

These are lifestyle expenses, assistance with Kate's wardrobe for official functions, help with the upkeep of the Cambridges' household and recurring expenses.

Harry would get a portion of that two and a half million. As he's unmarried and without dependants it's probably just a plain and simple allowance on top of the interest he gets from his investments from the inheritance from Diana. William gets that as well, of course. The vast majority of their inheritance would be invested for them, although from the age of 30 it was theoretically theirs to do with as they wished.

Security is always a huge item for royals performing engagements and there would also be the expense of using a helicopter if necessary, and the petrol in cars used by their retinue. The Queen helps with this. There might occasionally be hotel accommodation needed for themselves and the Royal Prorection Officers and equerries, ladies in waiting etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the other day that Charles shells out perhaps as much as two and a half million on allowances for William, Kate and Harry from Duchy funds each year.

These are lifestyle expenses, assistance with Kate's wardrobe for official functions, help with the upkeep of the Cambridges' household and recurring expenses.

Harry would get a portion of that two and a half million. As he's unmarried and without dependants it's probably just a plain and simple allowance on top of the interest he gets from his investments from the inheritance from Diana. William gets that as well, of course. The vast majority of their inheritance would be invested for them, although from the age of 30 it was theoretically theirs to do with as they wished.

The household is shared. Harry has his own private secretary just like W&K.

Foreign Affairs Adviser, Sir David Manning GCMG, KCVO is shared by all three.

Advisor, Mr. Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton MVO MBE (Part-Time) is shared by all three

Communications Secretary, Jason Knauf is shared by all three

Deputy Communications Secretary, Nick Loughran is shared by all three.

KP is an occupied royal palace and by statute the upkeep and maintenance comes from the Sovereign Grant.

Anmer Hall expenses are met privately

So basically Harry shares the staff and resources with W&K.

We don't know the exact breakdown as Charles doesn't provide the details although in 2013 an article from the Daily Express quotes Charles's then principal private secretary William Nye that his boss would have to look carefully at how much he could continue to fund the activities of the three younger royals in addition to his and Camilla's duties if the balance of work changed.

That may come to a head if William decides in September to quit his job as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot and become a fulltime working royal. "Whatever the Duke of Cambridge's plans, the Prince of Wales would have to look carefully at how he continues to fund the official activities of the staff and support for the five senior members of the Royal Family whom he is paying for," said Mr Nye.

And just to keep things in perspective. William, Kate and Harry employ the fulltime equivalent of 10.5 staff, compared to 148.3 for Charles and Camilla.

So its easy to see why Charles doesn't have much wiggle room with his finances.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about the KP office staff however, such as Press Secretaries etc whose salaries etc are hidden away in Civil Service archives. Nor did I say or infer that Charles helps with the maintenance at Kensington Palace. I know very well that that money comes from the Sovereign Grant.

I was talking about allowances given by Charles assisting the private lives of William (and Kate) and Harry.
Some of the extensions and renovations at Anmer,which are private, were no doubt paid for by Charles as assistance to his son and daughter in law. It was hinted at the time that Anmer was being fitted out that William wasnt meeting the entire expense.

In case you're thinking I'm having a go at the Cambridges I've also got no doubt that when Harry marries and has to modernise a Crown property Charles will help there as well.

Harry doesn't live with the Cambridges, nor does he employ the same number of staff such as housekeeper, cook, nanny etc. I happen to believe that Charles probably helps with some of those staff expenses in the allowance he gives William.

Well William really doesn't have to justify his father helping with funding from the Duchy because the Duchy of Cornwall will also be his inheritance one day.

Charles pays for Harry's private secretary and the support staff he shares with W&K. That officially comes from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Anmer Hall and its staff are met by private funds. That's all we know. Both William and Harry have a few coins of their own.

Last edited:
Harry visited Canada House yesterday to meet with veterans and mark Remembrance Day

CanadianUK @CanadianUK
HRH Prince Harry visited Canadian veterans at #CanadaHouse this evening #RememberThem @KensingtonRoyal
https://twitter.com/CanadianUK/status/664510601142640640

CanadianUK @CanadianUK
A special #RemembranceDay for these veterans, meeting HRH Prince Harry at #CanadaHouse @KensingtonRoyal
https://twitter.com/CanadianUK/status/664515884132802560

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
The @lestweforgetCAN project raises awareness of challenges faced by veterans transitioning to civilian life
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/664815164156440576

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal
Prince Harry signs the back of the @lestweforgetCAN mural, commemorating the 162 Canadian lives lost in Afghanistan
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/664844627489521664

Last edited:
Video:
Former solider Prince Harry was speaking at a reception for the Endeavour Fund, a project led by his and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Royal Foundation. Prince Harry paid tribute to the service personnel who 'refuse to be beaten or defined by their injuries'.

Home - ITNSource News

Cepe is also in/following this conversation on Twitter and I wanted to give her credit - but today Richard Palmer says Harry is not and may never want to be full time royal.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago @Hovikirjeenvaih @Chic_Happens_ Who thought that? Harry's definitely not a full-time working royal. He doesn't want that.
and
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago
@Chic_Happens_ I think William will find it difficult to do both when Prince of Wales but Harry may never be a full-time working royal. Mods, move this if need be....
and
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago Prince Harry on his next move in support of a generation of wounded military veterans http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/618808/Prince-Harry-soldiers-sport-Invictus-challenge …

Last edited:
Cepe is also in/following this conversation on Twitter and I wanted to give her credit - but today Richard Palmer says Harry is not and may never want to be full time royal.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago @Hovikirjeenvaih @Chic_Happens_ Who thought that? Harry's definitely not a full-time working royal. He doesn't want that.
and
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago
@Chic_Happens_ I think William will find it difficult to do both when Prince of Wales but Harry may never be a full-time working royal. Mods, move this if need be....
and
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 6h6 hours ago Prince Harry on his next move in support of a generation of wounded military veterans http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/618808/Prince-Harry-soldiers-sport-Invictus-challenge …

I wonder why the idea of being a "full-time royal" is talked about like it's some sort of death sentence? When you see many royals, British and others, go about their full-time duties with great energy, joy, pizazz and they're doing some amazing things. I've seen royals redefine the art of being a full-time working royal, and it's really no longer just cutting ribbons and shaking hands. When it comes down to the younger royals, full-time royal duties is made to seem like it's a form of capital punishment.

:previous: #638

Thanks AdmireUS. Just some context which relates to Harry's current workload.

On Twitter is seems that some people think that Harry laying his own wreath at the Cenotaph meant that he was now a full time royal (??). Ive no idea where this came from.

I asked Richard Palmer exactly what Harry was doing/time commitment re working with the MOD/Wounded veterans. As you can see, he says its about 2 days a week as a civilian volunteer. This is not reported in the CC.

He also says Harry does not want to be a "full time" royal and that they are considering other work (job) that Harry could do.

Full time royal on the scale of Charles and Anne takes years to develop - hundreds of charities; dozens of military roles etc. No one in the BRF, works as these 2 do. But full time simply means that that is all they do - undertake charitable and military work to the exclusion of other work.

It doesn't mean that they are all carrying out similar levels of events.

Harry looks like he is really enjoying it and the people he is meeting are too, including the other Harry! He does indeed look very dapper and handsome.

I asked Richard Palmer exactly what Harry was doing/time commitment re working with the MOD/Wounded veterans. As you can see, he says its about 2 days a week as a civilian volunteer. This is not reported in the CC.

He also says Harry does not want to be a "full time" royal and that they are considering other work (job) that Harry could do.

Not only did he say Harry doesn't want to be full-time he also said in your exchange "Harry may never become a full-time royal"

If Harry doesn't work full-time when Charles is king it will basically leave C&C, W&K shouldering the workload. Along with Charles brothers and sister. I imagine the Kents and Gloucesters will be retired by then.

I suppose he could expand his hours as a civilian volunteer. Or he may return to Africa to live for awhile.

:previous: If all that's real and not just speculation by one man, it suggests to me that when the Queen dies (not just when Charles passes) the monarchy under Charles will undergo a dramatic shift, prelude (and preparatory) to additional changes with William as monarch. :flowers: Is it possible the British Monarchy will ever become something akin to the Norwegian? With one nuclear family the focal point?

With Harry never becoming a full-time royal, that would put a new twist on things, and definitely Harry's up-coming (one day) wife. If Harry is part-time, I would say that means that his wife need not be a 'working royal' at all. She could have her own career, like being a part-time, modestly working actress. :D Now I wonder who that might be? :cool:

:previous: If all that's real and not just speculation by one man, it suggests to me that when the Queen dies (not just when Charles passes) the monarchy under Charles will undergo a dramatic shift, prelude (and preparatory) to additional changes with William as monarch. :flowers: Is it possible the British Monarchy will ever become something akin to the Norwegian? With one nuclear family the focal point?

With Harry never becoming a full-time royal, that would put a new twist on things, and definitely Harry's up-coming (one day) wife. If Harry is part-time, I would say that means that his wife need not be a 'working royal' at all. She could have her own career, like being a part-time, modestly working actress. :D Now I wonder who that might be? :cool:
I'm not sure which is more unlikely to happen . A wife not working for the RF or harry not being a full time royal ever.

Neither William or Harry would really, given the choice, take on full time Royal duties. I think Palmer was reflecting that. They are however resigned to the fact that it's coming, IMO.

Richard Palmer was just speculating on his Twitter page, IMO. I can't see Charles being as radical as to chop the royal family down to four people, quite frankly. It would mean retiring people like Anne, Andrew and the Wessexes from full time Royal work. Camilla will be seventy in a couple of years and gets tired on Royal tours now.

In the future, after Charles, William might decide to have a much smaller Royal family. Who knows. Even so, I can't see him restricting it to himself, Kate and their children, who won't be taking up Royal duties until their late twenties, if then.

However, Harry is a popular member of the BRF and Charles is close to him. I believe he would feel that Harry and wife would be an asset to the Royal family.

Harry just draws children to him like a magnet. Kids know good people when they meet them. In the article though, I had to do a double take and then look closely again at the 2nd picture. At first I could have sworn that was William in the background and then thought possibly Edward. :D

That is one very beautiful gift and I bet it will have a special place of honor in his home. Harry is one very special young man, caring and thoughtful and least I forget, very handsome with those gorgeous eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom