Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol

Noosa was being touted on TV yesterday, as the place where some of Prince Harry's time off would be spent.

And in today's paper, descriptions of the Perth barracks food as being "amazing" with a "sensational" view - "right out over the ocean" - from the mess.

Also, the Prince will not have any "minders" with him, but will be with around thirty Australian "good mates", he has formed a "close attachment to", from his tours of duty in Afghanistan.

He has visited them before when here, and they've assisted MI6 in protecting him when he's been on Royal duties in Oz.

(We've just had the BBC Simon Reeve "Australia" three-part show on TV here in the last few weeks, and Simon went out on patrol with the soldiers of the Northern Territory.

Prince Harry will be given a sleeping bag when he's with these guys, but on this show, the soldiers just laid down on the ground for the night, so he may not use it I think.

Their tanks were demonstrated on Simon's show too - won't be suprised to see photos/video of Prince Harry in these - something else to see these things move.)

Last edited:
The question to me about this secondment is why is he being given a paid 'holiday' down under when whatever he learns won't be able to be used as he will be gone almost immediately he returns to the UK. Australia won't have a long-term connection to the British army as again he will be out of the army. He is also coming for four weeks but the best part of one of those four weeks will be spent travelling to and from Turkey for the 100th anniversary of the British Empire's invasion of the Ottoman Empire in 1915. The Aussies and NZers held one of the five landing beaches. Why not have had him stay here and attend the ceremonies here as William and Kate did last year?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.

Do we actually know what Harry will be doing on base in Australia? What kind of training etc? I really can't see a military branch kow-towing to anyone regardless of status when it comes to its personnel. If the Army has decided to send Harry, its for a legitimate reason. Harry always was treated as another one of the guys during his stint in the service and I really don't think he'd press for favors because of who he is at the end of his remarkable career.

As very little information has been released about what Prince Harry will actually do over the following four weeks, I think it is far too early to call it a paid jolly holiday. There is no evidence one way or the other to support such a conclusion. It might be an extremely demanding and challenging four weeks, related to something he will do later on. Who knows? I certainly don't. I assume the details are under wraps in the hope of keeping the media at arms length. So I'm not going pass judgment on the benefits, or lack thereof, of the secondment before it starts. As for the costs, well quite simply I don't care about that part of the secondment. I'm happy for Prince Harry to be here, and I hope he has a rewarding experience.

Several posts have been removed as they were based on highly irrelevant speculation instead of fact. Further posts on that topic will also be removed.

A few other posts have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...army-june-2015-what-will-he-do-now-38361.html thread. If you wish to discuss the merits of Harry leaving the army, the overarching purpose of the Australian stint to his plans, what he will do in the future, etc please do so there.

Questions should be directed towards the moderating team.

JessRulz
British Forum Moderator

At least three of Australia's TV channels will be following Prince Harry live, when he is here in Oz in a few short hours.

We have been told Prince Harry will arrive in Sydney early tomorrow morning, change planes and then fly onto Canberra.

He is due at the War Memorial in Canberra at 9.00am, and is then due to report to the Defence Forces at 10.30am.

He must be in the air now as it is 5.45pm Easter Sunday evening here, and the flight from the UK is twenty-two or so hours. (Jet lag?)

People are speaking of more public engagements towards the end of his four weeks here - he is due to go to New Zealand May 9th.

And also that he will have time off in each location, Sydney, Darwin, Perth.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for your information Sun Lion! can't wait to see Harry in Oz... Hope it will be a successful stay:cool:

He's here Marty91charmed - landed at Sydney airport almost two hours ago, just after 5.00am.

Very foggy here this morning so good that didn't disrupt things.

He is due in Canberra at 8.00am, and then at the War Memorial at 9.00am.

(Currently 6.50am. Easter Monday - we ended our Daylight Savings this weekend, so not as dark as last week, despite the fog)

Brilliant autumn day here in Sydney now the fog has burnt off. More overcast and cold in Canberra by the look of things - people all rugged up.

(I think Harry is due back here after his time in Canberra.)

It's being reported he will visit defence force personnel who have been wounded.

One couple drove down from Bathurst - about four hours drive - to arrive at the War Memorial at 1.00am.

All four main TV networks broadcast the Prince in his British fatigues and beret leaving Sydney and arriving in Canberra. He will wear the British military uniform during his time in Australia.

Last edited:
The world is a better place with Sun Lion covering the coverage of royals visiting Australia. Just had to give credit. i love your breezy writing style, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Fingers crossed he gets a little time off while he's there. Bars in Australia have some historic success in helping single princes meet their match :)

You're a sweetie AdmirerUS - and there should be a fair amount of coverage of the Prince's time in Oz as several reports have said the Defense Forces will be releasing photos/footage of different army activities Harry gets involved in.

Maybe it will up our recruiting drive, with so much focus on the armed services.

I haven't got today's paper, but I saw one Ambassador for the Wounded interviewed on telly this morning.

They are just wrapped in what Prince Harry has done for wounded service people, and the attention he has brought to them, and in getting the community and society involved in their re-intergration.

They would love him to become an Ambassador at some stage.

And yes HRHHermione, CP Mary has been mentioned quite a bit over the previous days as young women are being encouraged to keep a look out for the Prince when hitting the hot spots of an evening.

Even the British singer Ed Sheeran, who's in Oz, has said he'd love to take Prince Harry our for a night - with our cricketer Shane Warne! - and have some fun.

And AdmirerUS, I'm sure the Prince will be issued tropical strenght sun-block and insect repellant when he's on patrol in the Northern Territory, but I hope some-one warns him not to take a dip - or even a paddle - in those sparkling blue waters.

The Simon Reeve TV series I mentioned a few posts back had a local fellow saying that no-one survives a swim there - if the sharks don't get you, the salt-water crocodiles will, and if they don't get you, the sea-snakes will, and if they don't get you, the box jellyfish - deadliest thing on earth if you're not wearing protective clothing - definitely will.

They even had to move the boat they were filming in as they'd been in the one spot twenty minutes - and that's long enough for the crocs to get interested.

(And the box jellyfish lie along the shoreline - hence not even a paddle.)

Last edited:
I'm melting - he's in the whites! We need a smiley of a lady fanning herself. LOL

I'm joining you- we really do need that smiley! Hope it's OK if I join the club! :lol:

About 500 people gathered to see him and on a cold wet Canberra morning too. (It can get terribly cold in Canberra, and it's now the start of our winter.) Harry in his whites brightens things up though, and notice how he smiled and gave the crowd a wave!

He seemed to be interested in the information he was being given and appeared impressed by our War Memorial, as well he might. I think it's one of the most impressive memorials of its type in the world. Exhibits go back to the Boer War and before, when Australia was a group of colonies.

The Prince got that Number 1 Dress Uniform soaked standing outside at Duntroon in an absolute downpour after the War Memorial, AdmirerUs and roseroyal.

And he scored a toy koala from a young girl who says she now has a "set" having previously met the Queen and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Some reports are putting the number at the public gathering at a thousand, with chants for his attention roaring through the crowd.

(And I think he'll get a similarly enthusiastic reception when New Zealand's time comes.)

If he passes the flight simulator tests, Prince Harry may be allowed to fly helicopters here, but even if he's not at the controls, I won't be suprised if they take him out over Sydney Harbour.

Not unusual for five or six big, black, noisey military helicopters to fly around the Harbour, low down to the water and the buildings about the shore.

If I see it, I'll run out on my balcony and try and get a few snaps for TRFs.:lol:

Last edited:
:previous: I think Harry must have lost weight because he seemed to be hitching is DPM pants up by his belt all the time. It looked like he recognised a Senior Officer and saluted in a hurry while his left hand was still hitching . . . not a good look and certainly not one I have seen him do before. :lol:

I've often wonder how he doesn't get confused on occasion, when sometimes he is the VIP receiving compliments and others he is paying compliments to Senior Officers.

Never mind, stuff happens and he's well on his way with his Charm Offensive! He seems very popular with veterans and has seen many Returned Servicemen already. That has got to be a big plus and mutually advantageous.

Fingers crossed he gets a little time off while he's there. Bars in Australia have some historic success in helping single princes meet their match :)

Thanks for the rather painful experience of warm Apple Cider ending up in my nasal cavity due to me trying not laugh and spew at the same time. :D :D :D

Thanks for the links and Pictures Everyone!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm melting - he's in the whites! We need a smiley of a lady fanning herself. LOL

Only one, because I'm right there w/you...

Nothing like a man in that White Uniform...Sigh...:)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:

It may have been Harry reacting to having to leave in a rush - he spent 10-15 minutes longer than scheduled inside the Memorial exhibitions, and thus had to rush through some parts of the walkabout so he wasn't late reporting for duty at 10:30am. Edward Lane Fox had to push him along on several occasions so Harry was able to get to all four sides of the crowd. There are a few pictures of Harry making apologetic motions to the crowd because he has to move on/leave.

It also could have been something the little boy in the grey hoodie said to him - Harry was dashing across to the cars when he spotted the sign and stopped to speak to the kids holding it up. Video: Short interview with the little boy.

Video: Harry's arrival and laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Video: Harry during the walk-about

Last edited:
Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip.

(That's a bit of a trip after all the flying from the UK - he left Canberra late morning. I think NT time is the same as SA time, so that is half an hour behind my time here in Sydney. He would have got there around 4.45pm or so.)

Brendan Nelson, the Australian War Memorial Director, said it was "difficult to move him out of that" - referring to the Afghanistan Gallery, and said Harry had said "this is very powerful". The Prince had specifically wanted to see this part.

Lots of laughs with the crowds - "No I hate selfies. Seriously you need to get out... I know your're young, but selfies are bad. Just take a normal photograph".

Last edited:
Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip.

(That's a bit of a trip after all the flying from the UK - he left Canberra late morning. I think NT time is the same as SA time, so that is half an hour behind my time here in Sydney. He would have got there around 4.45pm or so.)

Brendan Nelson, the Australian War Memorial Director, said it was "difficult to move him out of that" - referring to the Afghanistan Gallery, and said Harry had said "this is very powerful". The Prince had specifically wanted to see this part.

Lots of laughs with the crowds - "No I hate selfies. Seriously you need to get out... I know your're young, but selfies are bad. Just take a normal photograph".

Yes you're right Sun lion SA and NT are in the same time zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom