The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol

Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

'A paid holiday' would be more accurate.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
'A paid holiday'
Which is EXACTLY what all serving military personel receive...

Perhaps it is different in your country Duke of Marmelade ???
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Harry is far from being serving military personel.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ I think if did it would have been commented on especially given the fact he participated in Trooping the Colour.

It would have been great publicity for both the Army and Prince Harry but there was no word
I believe it was commented on, but people just didn't pay attention to it. Also, he was doing his job. It was even made sure Harry had a front seat at the Duke of Wellington's Office during the Trooping last year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?
Article on Harry's desk job at Whitehall-
"The fourth in line to the throne, who did two tours in Afghanistan, will have to plan ceremonial parades such as Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday plus coordinating official state visits from foreign dignitaries."
Prince Harry: Desk job is more nerve-wracking than flying Army attack helicopter in Afghanistan - Mirror Online

On Harry's Ceremonial Job-
"Prince Harry's appearance at the Trooping ceremony comes months after he gave up his role as an Apache helicopter co-pilot gunner for a military desk job with responsibilities that include organising major ceremonial events involving the Army."
Trooping the Colour 2014

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.
There was a little buzz about Harry's involvement in helping to organize the events though. I just don't think it was a major focus, but his job was to help with the events. Last year, he took center stage in the window in overlooking the Trooping, in which he helped organize.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

The thing with events like Trooping is that the 'plan' is in the system and all that the planning on a year by year basis is to check that everything is done. It isn't like it is a new event that has to be done from scratch.

What Harry's role was or might have been we will never know but he was posted to the part of Whitehall that organises events so it is reasonable to assume that he was involved in pushing some of the papers around that made that event possible.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol

Noosa was being touted on TV yesterday, as the place where some of Prince Harry's time off would be spent.

And in today's paper, descriptions of the Perth barracks food as being "amazing" with a "sensational" view - "right out over the ocean" - from the mess.

Also, the Prince will not have any "minders" with him, but will be with around thirty Australian "good mates", he has formed a "close attachment to", from his tours of duty in Afghanistan.

He has visited them before when here, and they've assisted MI6 in protecting him when he's been on Royal duties in Oz.

(We've just had the BBC Simon Reeve "Australia" three-part show on TV here in the last few weeks, and Simon went out on patrol with the soldiers of the Northern Territory.

Prince Harry will be given a sleeping bag when he's with these guys, but on this show, the soldiers just laid down on the ground for the night, so he may not use it I think.

Their tanks were demonstrated on Simon's show too - won't be suprised to see photos/video of Prince Harry in these - something else to see these things move.)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

The question to me about this secondment is why is he being given a paid 'holiday' down under when whatever he learns won't be able to be used as he will be gone almost immediately he returns to the UK. Australia won't have a long-term connection to the British army as again he will be out of the army. He is also coming for four weeks but the best part of one of those four weeks will be spent travelling to and from Turkey for the 100th anniversary of the British Empire's invasion of the Ottoman Empire in 1915. The Aussies and NZers held one of the five landing beaches. Why not have had him stay here and attend the ceremonies here as William and Kate did last year?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Not very recent but still..

Prince Harry whoops with delight as he takes a spin in a WW2 Spitfire over the white cliffs of Dover* | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.
Do we actually know what Harry will be doing on base in Australia? What kind of training etc? I really can't see a military branch kow-towing to anyone regardless of status when it comes to its personnel. If the Army has decided to send Harry, its for a legitimate reason. Harry always was treated as another one of the guys during his stint in the service and I really don't think he'd press for favors because of who he is at the end of his remarkable career.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

He is training with the Australian SAS and then native forces in the Northern Territory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...commandos.html

Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
He is training with the Australian SAS and then native forces in the Northern Territory
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...commandos.html

It seems totally pointless to me; I don't see how it is benefiting either us or the UK army at all. It looks like a farewell present for Harry.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

As very little information has been released about what Prince Harry will actually do over the following four weeks, I think it is far too early to call it a paid jolly holiday. There is no evidence one way or the other to support such a conclusion. It might be an extremely demanding and challenging four weeks, related to something he will do later on. Who knows? I certainly don't. I assume the details are under wraps in the hope of keeping the media at arms length. So I'm not going pass judgment on the benefits, or lack thereof, of the secondment before it starts. As for the costs, well quite simply I don't care about that part of the secondment. I'm happy for Prince Harry to be here, and I hope he has a rewarding experience.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts have been removed as they were based on highly irrelevant speculation instead of fact. Further posts on that topic will also be removed.

A few other posts have been moved to the Prince Harry Leaving the Army (June 2015): What will he do now? thread. If you wish to discuss the merits of Harry leaving the army, the overarching purpose of the Australian stint to his plans, what he will do in the future, etc please do so there.

Questions should be directed towards the moderating team.

JessRulz
British Forum Moderator
Old 04-05-2015, 04:51 AM
Serene Highness

At least three of Australia's TV channels will be following Prince Harry live, when he is here in Oz in a few short hours.

We have been told Prince Harry will arrive in Sydney early tomorrow morning, change planes and then fly onto Canberra.

He is due at the War Memorial in Canberra at 9.00am, and is then due to report to the Defence Forces at 10.30am.

He must be in the air now as it is 5.45pm Easter Sunday evening here, and the flight from the UK is twenty-two or so hours. (Jet lag?)

People are speaking of more public engagements towards the end of his four weeks here - he is due to go to New Zealand May 9th.

And also that he will have time off in each location, Sydney, Darwin, Perth.

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry