The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't see why Harry should have gone off to Africa in the first place.
It doesn't seem like the local authorities appreciate or even desire his presence.

He should stay home and devote his efforts to UK charities, imo. As someone said, he is a British prince, not an African one.
There are many countries in the African Continent, many of whom are members of the Commonwealth just as Canada, Australia and New Zealand are. Our common histories of Colonialism have left us, if with nothing else, with a common Queen and Royal family. We are also part of "The Commonwealth", where we have common diplomatic, trade and industries ties. We also have shared humanitarian and charitable endeavours.

In that respect, Prince Harry is indeed and "African Prince".

Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
There are many countries in the African Continent, many of whom are members of the Commonwealth just as Canada, Australia and New Zealand are. Our common histories of Colonialism have left us, if with nothing else, with a common Queen and Royal family. We are also part of "The Commonwealth", where we have common diplomatic, trade and industries ties. We also have shared humanitarian and charitable endeavours.

In that respect, Prince Harry is indeed and "African Prince".

There are no African Commonwealth realms. There are African nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but none are Realms. Harry is no more an African Prince than he is a French one.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I see no harm in Harry being in Africa as opposed to being here in the UK (or indeed anywhere else in the world). Personally I like it when our royals are under the radar from time to time, I appreciate them more when they come back!
But seriously, it seems to have been a personal choice on his part, and i am quite sure he would not turn up anywhere where he was not wanted or needed - or had checked first with the relevant authorities to see if it was ok.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Harry is encountering criticism in Namibia—is he a conservation hero, or a meddling rich kid with little knowledge of real life?

Prince Harry has been widely applauded by his cheerleaders in the West for dedicating three months of his life to working with conservation organizations in Africa.

But he is coming in for severe criticism by some in Namibia—including from government ministers and in the country’s press—who are less than impressed by the young royal’s involvement in their country’s affairs.
More: Is Prince Harry Hunting For Trouble In Africa? - The Daily Beast
Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Tom Sykes is a writer based in rural Ireland. He farms there and pursues freelance journalism on the side. His pieces usually aim criticism at Harry and warm praise at his brother and sister in law. He is a good writer, but an unbiased Journalist, no.

As far as is known he's never even met Harry nor does he know him personally. Sykes is quite open about why he left the temptations of London for Ireland and that may very well skew his attitude to Harry. A journalist is after all, only as good as his sources. If Sykes doesn't have good reliable sources then he is no better, IMO, than the hacks at the Daily Fail. 'The Beast' is hardly a cutting edge site anyway.

There hasn't been a storm of criticism from the Government of Namibia. One minister criticised 'celebrities' and others coming to Africa to pursue conservation issues. One newspaper article reported it. Another minister said that the British press should stay away from stalking Harry. I agree with this and I'm certain Harry certainly does.

Sykes and others should, IMO, hold fire until Harry returns in September. We will then see the value or otherwise, of this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
There are no African Commonwealth realms. There are African nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but none are Realms. Harry is no more an African Prince than he is a French one.
The royal family take an interest in the Commonwealth, though, and that includes the African countries within it. Harry has done a great deal for The children of his African-based charity for example and he and William made sure the cause of endangered animals in Africa were brought to the fore in charities like Tusk . I do think people outside the Commonwealth underestimate the royal family's involvement in it, even though it is only one of them, the Queen, that heads that organisation.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's very true. Marg's comment though was that there are African nations that share the Queen and royal family, which isn't true. There are Commonwealth Nations in Africa, but only the Commonwealth Realms share the Queen and BRF in the way that she seemed to be implying.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 AM
Royal Highness

It looks more and more like Harry's holiday adventure rather than Harry trying to do something productive.

He spent a week in Tanzania before going to Namibia national park to join Dr. Peter Morkel for 10 days. He will leaving for Botswana next week. He is also planning to visit South Africa.

He should have stayed in one place for the entire three months.

I agree with Wonder Gochu.
Quote:
As long as there is a market for what the poachers are selling, Prince Harry could spend 10 or 20 years in the country and that would not make any difference. He should go to China, and campaign there, say, ‘Please don’t buy it.’

How can hungry men care about whether a rhino or an elephant is killed? You are talking about somebody who has no job, who sleeps on an empty stomach. Do you really think he has time to think about what is happening in the jungle? Prince Harry has everything. Most people here don’t. A man who has no shelter, no food, his focus is only on what he can get to eat.”
A rich western who has everything is not going to change things.

Is Prince Harry Hunting For Trouble In Africa? - The Daily Beast

If rhino horns removed by the Namibia national park are sold by the government directly to the Chinese then the black market and poachers will be reduced or cease to exist.

If all rhino horns are removed in the same manner as sheep are sheared and sold on the open market then it reduces the need for killing.

The government could use the funds to help improve conditions. It could hire some of the poachers to help track the animals. More rhinos more horns.

I am aware there are corrupt officials but the current system of destroying and burning massive amounts of tusks and horns is counter productive.

Years ago I made the same suggestion for elephant tusk.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry is working with people who are actually in the field, unlike Sykes. How do we know Harry won't come back with similar suggestions?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Royal Highness

Harry could never do anything right for some people !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
You are of course, technically correct. However, Commonwealth Countries, as already pointed out, have a shared history for good or ill, and none of us are still "Colonies" as you have so pedantically pointed out. However, if that shared bond was unimportant or irrelevant, it would no longer exist.

In that spirit, if we are going to have a royal family it is the BRF. Our parents and grandparents, etc. handed that knowledge on to us generation by generation and so we may or may not take an interest in the Queen and her family, their children and grandchildren, marriages and divorces. It is our choice.

Harry's charity, Sentebale in Lesotho is in Africa, is a charity founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. The BRF has deep roots on the African continent and Prince harry has decided to dig some of his own.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Mr Shifeta, the Minister of Environment and Tourism in Namibia, met and had their photo taken together. There was a long article in a local newspaper which went into depth about their conversation, but unfortunately I can't provide a link.

Shifeta meets Prince Harry | Sun Mobi
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

The Daily Beast article really wasn't that critical of Harry its just he's become so much of a sacred cow that any perceived criticism of him is met with uproar by his supporters.

Tom Sykes simply pointed out that despite Harry's 'cheerleaders' in Western media many journalists in Namibia including the Editor of the country's largest newspaper are critical of him being there.

Remember Harry has sort of been down this road before. When he first went to Africa years ago after the bad press from the Nazi fancy dress and 'paki' comments and allegations of drug use, many African journalists criticised Clarence House for using their continent as a photo-op.

Some Africans at the time thought he was using the trip as a public relations exercise to boost his image hence the comments this week from Namibia's Environment Minster.

I don't doubt Harry's heart is in the right place its just many in Africa are often sceptical about this sort of adventure by celebrities.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Harry has many 'cheerleaders' in the western media. The journalists employed by British tabloid newspapers adore going over the old territory of Nazi uniform, 'Paki' comments and falling out of clubs in his youth, to promote their favourite image of Harry, a sort of buffoonish, 'Jack the Lad' character. I often wonder if they are longing for the days of Chelsy and drunken nights in nightclubs to return.

Harry proved his heart was in the right place when he went to Africa to found Sentabale all those years ago and that project has been supported by him ever since.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You are of course, technically correct. However, Commonwealth Countries, as already pointed out, have a shared history for good or ill, and none of us are still "Colonies" as you have so pedantically pointed out. However, if that shared bond was unimportant or irrelevant, it would no longer exist. And yet, it does.

In that spirit, if we are going to have a royal family it is the BRF. Our parents and grandparents, etc. handed that knowledge on to us generation by generation and so we may or may not take an interest in the Queen and her family, their children and grandchildren, marriages and divorces. It is our choice. We were touched when Prince William attended our Earthquake Memorial Service and enjoyed Prince Charles and Camilla's visit to see how we're getting on. Harry's visit was just as welcome.

Harry's charity, Sentebale in Lesotho is in Africa, is a charity founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. The BRF has deep roots on the African continent and Prince harry has decided to dig some of his own.
I said nothing about colonies in the post you quote and I don't remember doing so elsewhere, so I'm not sure what you're talking about in that regards.

Your initial post implied to me that you were saying that there were African Realms who had a relationship with the BRF comparable to the relationship that New Zealand has with the BRF.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Majesty

I can understand their scepticism about celebrities. I also agree that Harry's heart is in the right place. I hesitate to bring up his mother's name here, but I wonder whether he has in mind doing for a time what she was doing in the final years of her life: travelling around to highlight different causes, but perhaps without the more glamorous occasions. When his father is king, Harry might be more restricted in what he can do. He might have to spend more time in the UK because he'll be needed there as the older members of the extended family can no longer perform their duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don't doubt Harry's heart is in the right place its just many in Africa are often sceptical about this sort of adventure by celebrities.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I can understand their scepticism about celebrities. I also agree that Harry's heart is in the right place. I hesitate to bring up his mother's name here, but I wonder whether he has in mind doing for a time what she was doing in the final years of her life: travelling around to highlight different causes, but perhaps without the more glamorous occasions. When his father is king, Harry might be more restricted in what he can do. He might have to spend more time in the UK because he'll be needed there as the older members of the extended family can no longer perform their duties.
I seriously think Harry got his passion for putting his heart and soul into what he is involved with from both of his parents with his father more as a role model. We've all seen the level of Charles' diligence when it comes to something he's working on and his now famous spider letters. He definitely gets his charisma and his ability to fit and be comfortable with whomever he's with from his mother.

When Charles is king, I definitely see Harry playing a major role in the BRF and perhaps even so far as being a right hand man to his brother once William's turn comes.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-18-2015, 04:59 AM
Courtier

That being the case he would indeed have a massive challenge in finding the right partner to marry.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 AM
Courtier

News just in:
We flew with 'hunk' Prince Harry – in economy class | Hull Daily Mail
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
That being the case he would indeed have a massive challenge in finding the right partner to marry.
It does seem that way but one never knows when the love bug is going to bite. He might very well meet Ms. Right among the people he works with as time goes by. Wasn't it Edward that met Sophie by chance at some kind of event? It raises the chances that Harry will meet someone that is interested in the same thing he is.

All hope is not lost.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO that's exactly what Harry needs to do...like William, meet someone outside the normal social circle of friends....someone at a charity or work event.

LaRae

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry