The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Courtier

Will Prince Harry’s African Adventure Be His Last Big Blowout? - The Daily Beast

Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Typical Beast fare. And yet another wailing article about Harry not settling down to marriage and children. It's also inaccurate in that the author infers (typically) that Harry lives on the taxpayer's dime. I have news for you, DB. He doesn't!

Old 07-04-2015, 02:05 AM
Majesty

I liked the first couple of comments that addressed the composition of the article and failed it on truth and grammar!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Prince is determined to raise awareness of a crisis which is robbing Southern Africa of thousands of black rhino each year. He is travelling under the auspices of the Zoological Society of London and of the Tusk Trust which funds many African initiatives to protect the rhino.
More: Prince Harry back in the front line fighting ivory poachers over Namibia | Daily Mail Online

The Zoological Society of London is one of the organizations that make up United for Wildlife of which William is President and of course William is Patron of the Tusk Trust.

Now it can't be a coincidence Harry is in Africa for three months and it just happens he is working for William's charities.

Nice to see the brothers helping each other out.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Tusk is under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation, which the brothers founded together and to which Kate was added as co-patron. I'm glad Harry is active in attempts to stop poaching and this vile trade in traditional medicines. I'm sure he will observe and learn and do more than his bit in Africa.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015

Tusk isn't part of the Royal Foundation of W,K& H. It's a separate organization. It just celebrated its 25th anniversary. William is its patron so it's a member of the Royal Foundation charities forum like the other organizations that W,K& H are patrons of.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, Harry has been involved with TUSK before. My memory hasn't been jump started with enough caffeine yet but I seem to recall both William and Harry doing a documentary with Ben Fogle about wildlife in Africa back before William's wedding.

Ben makes documentary with Prince William
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

William has been Patron of Tusk since 2005. They just had their 25th anniversary a couple of months ago when William hosted at Windsor Castle. Any involvement Harry has with Tusk is through William.

I really hope no one is put out over the fact Harry is in Africa under the auspices of William's charities.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

When the World Cup was in South Africa in 2010, William and Harry did a joint tour in Africa. They went to Lesotho to see Harry's projects with Senteble and then they went up to the Botswana area to see the Tusk work. The Ben Fogle's documentary about the trip was called Prince William's Africa. Harry had some appearances in it too. Remember the snake.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Courtier

Just read on another forum that Henry and William used to shoot wildlife in Africa and that singer Pink, when asked, refused to sing at one of their private parties because of it.

The comments at the end of the article in the Daily Mail mention hunting (which I knew of - and yes, you've guessed it, not impressed!) but not wildlife in Africa.

Is the wildlife story fabrication?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Both Harry and William enjoy hunting and shooting. Harry was photographed next to a water buffalo he shot while on his gap year in Africa. From a conservation point of view it isn't incompatible at all. In fact most conservation organisations also promote sustainable hunting.

Now if you're on the PETA end of things then obviously Harry working in conservation and shooting pheasants isn't kosher.

I personally have no issues with it as I both hunt and fish here in Canada.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Majesty

Does anyone know for certain of Harry's duties in Africa are counted as official engagements?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it counts toward official engagements at all. What he's doing in Africa is great but I think it's considered personal time.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Both Harry and William enjoy hunting and shooting. Harry was photographed next to a water buffalo he shot while on his gap year in Africa. From a conservation point of view it isn't incompatible at all. In fact most conservation organisations also promote sustainable hunting.

Now if you're on the PETA end of things then obviously Harry working in conservation and shooting pheasants isn't kosher.

I personally have no issues with it as I both hunt and fish here in Canada.
Shooting for game to eat is more palatable to me (although I would could not bear to see it or do it myself!). I mean, I am not a vegetarian, animals are killed so I can eat. I am in no place to judge.

However, water buffalo shooting is not cool in my book unless it was used for food. If you tell me he shot an elephant, lion, rhino, etc. or just killed for the thrill of it, I would certainly be appalled.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah, Harry's work in Africa is on his personal time not official.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

IIRC Pink is heavily involved in PETA stuff and IIRC may be vegetarian or vegan...so if there's any truth to the Harry story that would be why.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Shooting for game to eat is more palatable to me (although I would could not bear to see it or do it myself!). I mean, I am not a vegetarian, animals are killed so I can eat. I am in no place to judge.

However, water buffalo shooting is not cool in my book unless it was used for food. If you tell me he shot an elephant, lion, rhino, etc. or just killed for the thrill of it, I would certainly be appalled.
I seem to remember reading either on here or from an article posted here that when they shoot game in Africa the meat is donated to local villages etc.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Majesty

When Harry come back from Africa what he is doing? Is something official?
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Thank you Pranter.

Sounds like they shoot for the thrill though. Not cool. I would be more impressed if he posed next to a plate of beautifully cooked (not endangered) game. I mean, isn't that all the rage now? Taking pictures of delicious food beautifully arranged on a plate and it would totally change the message. :big grin:

I hope he has had a change of heart and now works to stop others from senseless killing for thrill or profit...or both. If so, he should mention it. Now that would be impressive!!
Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
When Harry come back from Africa what he is doing? Is something official?
IIRC, when Harry returns he will be working with disabled service personnel programs in a civilian position.

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry