The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Edinburgh isn't a member either.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to Harry on this very personal honor from his grandmother.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Thanks for that - missed him as I was going through the list.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I've noticed that myself and I have to wonder if this is bestowed upon them because the consort, heir, and adult heir are likely to receive many more honors through their lifetime.

TBH I do believe that the York princesses and Princess Michael might not receive them as they do not perform many royal duties but the Duchess of Cambridge will be receiving honors from the next monarch and foreign HoS in the future.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Philip has the Garter ,Thistle ,Merit and British Empire. 3 out of the four highest.

Charles has the four highest orders. Garter, Thistle , Bath and Merit.

William has the two highest Garter and Thistle.

So it appears the highest ranking royals don't receive the RVO.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen heads the Order though, and it is in her gift. I think Harry will probably get the Garter early in his father's reign.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Philip has the Garter ,Thistle ,Merit and British Empire. 3 out of the four highest.

Charles has the four highest orders. Garter, Thistle , Bath and Merit.

William has the two highest Garter and Thistle.

So it appears the highest ranking royals don't receive the RVO.
So true - the ones who probably provide the most support for HM aren't the ones who are honoured for their personal service to her.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne provides a lot of support to her mother, both private and personal, probably more than either of the Queen's grandsons. The Queen is fond of Sophie, who also supports her mother in law, privately and in public life. Both these women are Dame Commanders in the Order.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

It makes sense to me that the people who are expected to become monarch down the line would not be granted this honour. They are the monarch's successors and, as part of the continuum that is the monarchy, are, in a metaphysical sense, part of the monarch themselves and you cannot be rewarded for providing personal service to yourself.

Does that make sense to anyone other than myself?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Roslyn, it makes sense to me, myself!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Ages ago, maybe when William was named for the Thistle (?) I posted who got what and when in the family. Others have made similar posts, just not here. The Queen does not just shower orders. There are usually life markers that she rewards and she makes people wait long into life for much of it. We are a bit off topic, but there is a lot of this kind "who got that when" stuff on the royal orders thread.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Commoner

great, that harry is sir :-)
time to harry to be colonel in Trooping

and its time to for Catherine to get gong
Old 06-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, let Harry be a Colonel of one of the regiments and ride at the Trooping of the Colour!

The Queen might not 'shower Honours' but William hasn't had to wait long for his. He already has the Garter and the Thistle, and he isn't yet 33.

This is understandable with a very elderly monarch on the throne as no-one knows whether (God forbid) William could wake up as Duke of Cornwall tomorrow.

I do think Harry will get the Garter at least, in the next few years.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Harry has launched the Rugby World Cup trophy tour across the UK and Ireland, marking 100 days to the start of the global event. England Rugby World Cup winners Jonny Wilkinson and Will Greenwood joined the prince at Twickenham Stadium - the home of English rugby - to launch the Webb Ellis Cup on its journey-

Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince Harry attends the Service of Dedication to inaugurate the Bastion Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum on June 11, 2015 in Alrewas, United Kingdom.

Getty Images Gallery

Harry's speech
Old 06-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Harry has paid tribute to British service personnel killed on combat operations in Afghanistan saying they "will forever be in our hearts" as he unveiled a memorial to their sacrifice. Dedicating the Bastion Memorial, inscribed with the 453 names of those killed, he said: "As we sit here amongst friends, we can take comfort in the knowledge that they gave their lives doing a job they loved, for a country they loved, and amongst mates who loved them dearly."

Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

That one picture where Harry looks to be wiping a tear away...You want to reach through the screen and give him a hug. The memories that had to be going through his mind during the Ceremony had to be overwhelming at times. His speech though...Well done Harry. I especially loved the part where he said how the names of the Fallen were engraved on the Memorial in Gold, just as they are in our hearts. Spine chilling and so very, very true as well.

Is there a close up of what he wrote on the card on his wreath? For some reason, I'm unable to get links from the Daily Mail to work for me any more on my iPad and is more than a bit annoying to boot. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Is there a close up of what he wrote on the card on his wreath? For some reason, I'm unable to get links from the Daily Mail to work for me any more on my iPad and is more than a bit annoying to boot. Thanks in advance!!
From the BBC:
"The fathers, sons, daughters, brothers and sister named on this memorial, will forever be in our thoughts and prayers, as are those who miss them so dearly."
Old 06-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Harry hits the town with Princess Eugenie and Guy Pelly | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 7h7 hours ago
Prince Harry was very pleased to host Mrs Michelle Obama @FLOTUS for tea at Kensington Palace this morning

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 7h7 hours ago
Prince Harry and Mrs Michelle Obama @FLOTUS discussed their shared interest in support for veterans and their families

First Lady Michelle Obama Meets With Prince Harry Over Tea During European Tour - ABC News

A.W. TOZER

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry