The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
beautiful images... Let's keep ingnoring Harry's haters
Please do not mistake irritation at being fed bulldust, and being expected to believe it, about the reason for Harry's visit for "hate" for the man. I like Harry a lot and I'm perfectly happy for him to be here having fun and giving pleasure to all the people who turn out to see him, but do not insult me by trying to convince me that this was a serious military "secondment", and do not expect me to be happy to foot the bill for Harry's holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Harry is a much braver person than I!
I want to talk about a point in the BBC article - crocodiles are removed from the harbor to prevent them from harm, but sent to a crocodile farm or killed? Surely, there's a better way.
Once those jaws are secured shut you are fairly safe around them. The muscles that shut the jaws might be powerful, but the ones that open them are weak. By the time Harry was sitting on it, that croc was no danger to him.

Are you sure the article said the crocs were removed from the harbour to prevent fatalities and injuries to them? I think they are removed to prevent them from causing fatalities and injuries to humans. What to do with them once they're captured? They are no longer endangered in the wild so the wild populations don't need to be restocked. They were hunted to near extinction by the early 70s but now the population is healthy. The crocodile population is carefully managed by experts these days. It's not easy to reintroduce a large croc into the wild. You can't just take it out to a random river in the bush and dump it. There are people living on that land.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said Roslyn.

LaRae

Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Yes indeed, well said Roslyn!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 AM
Royal Highness

This tread has just been reopened and we are off topic again. This is about Harry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it is about Harry. This latest conversation directly arises from the photos and articles JessRulz posted last night about Harry's very recent visit to Darwin.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Roslyn;1780381]Please do not mistake irritation at being fed bulldust, and being expected to believe it, about the reason for Harry's visit for "hate" for the man. I like Harry a lot and I'm perfectly happy for him to be here having fun and giving pleasure to all the people who turn out to see him, but do not insult me by trying to convince me that this was a serious military "secondment", and do not expect me to be happy to foot the bill for Harry's holiday.

Um, my post was not aiming at you at all I don't know what made you suggest that!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Just a reminder that posts about the Sentebale garden at the Chelsea Flower Show should be made in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...15-a-5995.html thread.

And let's get back to Harry's current events, as opposed to whom "hates" whom.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

Once those jaws are secured shut you are fairly safe around them. The muscles that shut the jaws might be powerful, but the ones that open them are weak. By the time Harry was sitting on it, that croc was no danger to him.

Are you sure the article said the crocs were removed from the harbour to prevent fatalities and injuries to them? I think they are removed to prevent them from causing fatalities and injuries to humans. What to do with them once they're captured? They are no longer endangered in the wild so the wild populations don't need to be restocked. They were hunted to near extinction by the early 70s but now the population is healthy. The crocodile population is carefully managed by experts these days. It's not easy to reintroduce a large croc into the wild. You can't just take it out to a random river in the bush and dump it. There are people living on that land.
I know but still... I'd be scared.
I reread the article. It said there is a lot of boating in the area, and the crocs are removed to prevent fatalities. I took that to mean the crocs not losing limbs or being run over by boats. Could have meant people too.
I see your point, and I respect your opinion. Your'e right- what to do when they are captured? Relocation in the wild or otherwise would be an issue.
However, I have read about croc farms in Terri Irwin's book Steve and Me, and they sound unfathomambly cruel. To just kill them seems a horrible waste. Zoos? Wild animal parks? Reptile sanctuaries?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

People eat croc/alligator and use the hides for various things. Nothing being wasted.

LaRae
Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

That life is. IMO.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

You have to keep numbers in balance. Too many predators and you end up with starvation among other things. Now that is a waste of life.

LaRae
Old 05-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I see your point too. Starvation among other things would be a horrible waste of life. But aren't lives of predators important too? It's being cruel to be kind I guess, but it just doesn't seem fair. Can't find the words I want to explain how I feel.
And I don't think it's right for humans to eat crocodile, or have croc handbags. JMO. Crocs were not created for that. In an ideal world, they would all just be out in the wild. And the food chain would be fair. Sadly, not an ideal world.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Yes, I see your point too. Starvation among other things would be a horrible waste of life. But aren't lives of predators important too? It's being cruel to be kind I guess, but it just doesn't seem fair. Can't find the words I want to explain how I feel.
And I don't think it's right for humans to eat crocodile, or have croc handbags. JMO. Crocs were not created for that. In an ideal world, they would all just be out in the wild. And the food chain would be fair. Sadly, not an ideal world.
Predators are important, they are needed to keep things in balance, however being predators they don't have too many things that keep them in check other than humans. We manage those populations by allowing a certain amount of hunting and by relocation (if possible)...sometimes they just put them down and use for food for animals.

Eating a croc/alligator is no different than eating any other wild game. I'd much rather see the meat consumed than wasted.

LaRae
Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
People eat croc/alligator and use the hides for various things. Nothing being wasted.

LaRae
Hahaha! I had a crocodile steak up in Darwin. Got to say, very fatty and not the tastiest! Kangaroo is better.

Did Henry have a taste too I wonder? Perhaps they gave him a piece of the croc he sat on? Maybe that was the deal?

Did he like the taste of Skippy better??

There are so many crocs up there. We fed them from the boats and watched them jump up, out of the water for their treats. Awesome creatures.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, they are wonderful, magnificent creatures, even when they come along tourist boats and lunge! I have to say though, I just can't stomach, literally, the thought of eating crocodile.

Nor have I ever eaten kangaroo. The vision of Skippy conveying urgent messages and manipulating door handles with his paws, no doubt!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no desire to eat lizards, no matter the size.

I have never eaten kangaroo either, nor am I likely to, but that has nothing to do with Skippy. When I was a child my mother used to feed the cat kangaroo meat because it was cheap, and I often had to cut the stuff up for it, and pet meat grade kangaroo meat doesn't smell very nice, especially when it's starting to go off. Not for me, thank you very much.

I've seen crocs in the wild on the Daintree River, and in wildlife parks, and, on one memorable occasion, on a beach near Port Douglas. This far south we are not programmed for large predators that come out of the water onto the land to get you, and it's a sobering experience to see one running out of the surf.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I have eaten alligator and it was quite tasty! Served with a jalapeno sweet sauce.... I would eat it again.

I've had emu and ostrich...not a fan of either. I've eaten New Zealand red deer and it was very very good.

Past that nothing really unusual ...various types of native game but that's not uncommon to see eaten here.

LaRae
Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Some years ago I visited the NT and had a wonderful evening meal:

entrée - crocodile
main - emu and kangaroo steaks
desert - local produce made into an icecream and served with native berries

Lovely.

Would I buy any of that from my supermarket - probably not.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Some years ago I visited the NT and had a wonderful evening meal:

entrée - crocodile
main - emu and kangaroo steaks
desert - local produce made into an icecream and served with native berries

Lovely.

Would I buy any of that from my supermarket - probably not.
Hey! We went to the same restaurant!!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Kangaroo, emu, and ostrich! Oh my! I will never be an Aussie I guess, as I could never stomach that- or croc. I don't mean to offend here, but I think you Aussies take the cake for weirdest foods. When the POW was making a list the other day- I didn't know what any of the stuff was. I got some of it mixed up with American slang, and can't tell you what I thought it was! And what are Tim- tams? ( not the food I got mixed up with slang)

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry