Prince Harry Current Events 27: April 2013-March 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that's the result of Harry's rumoured dyslexia. It's quite sad, really.

I suppose that's the result of Harry's rumoured dyslexia. It's quite sad, really.

I don't think so necessarily. Some people just don't get into reading books as something they care to do but otherwise excel at other things. My husband is one. He won't read a book unless he absolutely has to but when he does have to, he totally retains what he reads to the point of getting 95% and above when he is tested. He just doesn't care to read. Its probably the same with Harry.

Except Harry's A-level results at Eton don't paint the picture of someone academically inclined. He got a B in art and a D in geography in the exams. He dropped his third subject history of art. Harry was the only one in his class to get a D.

So the fact he admits to not being a book reader doesn't surprise me.

William passed three A-levels before going on to St Andrews university to study history of art.
William got an A grade in geography, a B in history of art and a C in biology.

Last edited:
William passed three A-levels before going on to St Andrews university to study history of art.
William got an A grade in geography, a B in history of art and a C in biology.

Why is this relevant to a discussion about Prince Harry?

Why would they hide the dyslexia if he had it? Bea has it and talks openly about it and she is just a few years younger than Harry.

Also Harry is the spare and not the heir so its not like there is something wrong with the heir and they want to cover it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think off topic posts should be moved to the thread "Harry general news"

Why is this relevant to a discussion about Prince Harry?
Because some people cannot rationalise anything unless they have something they think superior as a yardstick. In this case it's people and no, William's academic record has nothing whatsoever to do with Harry receiving the gift of a cartoon book and remarking that he didn't read many books. Prince Harry can stand on his own record of achievement which, given his school marks, are all the more remarkable.

But back to the gift from "a former Welsh Guardsman who gave him a comic strip book he has created about the 1982 Falklands war". It sounds delightful as was his sharing with that verteran about his preference for comics. That entire engagement was a ringing sucess and those who attended seemed almost universal in their praise of Harry. What was not so delightful was the immediate kneejerk reaction of some to underscore his perceived inadequacies by banging on about "The Wonders of Willie".

Its like shooting fish in a barrel, in the Harry threads

Well, Harry has emotional intelligence and charisma. He can really connect with people. You can see it in the way others react to him. He's an army officer and a trained co-pilot on Apache helicopters and will soon be a major. I don't consider that a sign of unintelligence.

I read years ago that before her death Diana was worried about Harry going to Eton, was thinking of other schools and wanted some tests done, possibly investigating that he might be dyslecsic. I've also read that Harry was tested for this at Eton at 17.

Many years later a gossip reporter holed up with Harry and Chelsy at a holiday spot where they were being beseiged by the media. Among the things he wrote was that they were all stuck indoors, they played various board games but were unable to play Scrabble because of Harry's dyslexia.

Well, Harry has emotional intelligence and charisma. He can really connect with people. You can see it in the way others react to him. He's an army officer and a trained co-pilot on Apache helicopters and will soon be a major. I don't consider that a sign of unintelligence.

I read years ago that before her death Diana was worried about Harry going to Eton, was thinking of other schools and wanted some tests done, possibly investigating that he might be dyslecsic. I've also read that Harry was tested for this at Eton at 17.

Many years later a gossip reporter holed up with Harry and Chelsy at a holiday spot where they were being beseiged by the media. Among the things he wrote was that they were all stuck indoors, they played various board games but were unable to play Scrabble because of Harry's dyslexia.

Harry was clearly a reckless teenager. Don't forget he was even arrested once following his final school exams for underage drinking and possession of marijuana. Even as an adult, he is still a heavy tobacco smoker and drinker and gets involved in embarassing situations such as that infamous party in Vegas. Dyslexia, if he actually has it, probably isn't the sole reason for his failed academic career. As pointed out here, princess Beatrice is dyslexic and managed to go to university nonetheless.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to be judgmental or implying I have the moral high ground to criticize Harry's private life. I appreciate his military service and how he made a career out of it and I acknowledge that he has also stepped up his public duties recently as a working member of the BRF. However, I also think we have to see things as they are and not have some idealized image of Harry just because he happens to have been born a prince of the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Prince Harry Current Events 24: April 2013 to

Harry struggled at school and was only tested for dyslexia at 17 when he was almost done? Harry went to some of the top schools in the country- wouldn't they do this earlier in his school life when he was younger and learning to read.

I totally don't believe that Harry who hates reporters would be playing board games along with them and his girlfriend while hold up indoors on vacation. Other alone indoor activities with girlfriend -yes, board games with reporters-no

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Has anyone ever questioned his commitment to the military? I've only ever seen praise for his military service.

I'm with those that don't understand where this stuff about Harry having dyslexia is coming from. If that was something he was dealing with, I don't think he or the BRF would hide it.

Harry gave an interview last year and stated that taking tests is hard for him, but he also conceded that he doesn't study as hard as he should. Some people just aren't great at academics and this is something Harry has admitted. That's no judgement against him, his strengths just happen to lie elsewhere.

Last edited:
Word to the wise: When we don't feed the trolls, they go elsewhere. :whistling:

He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I commend him and all soldiers for their service.

He wasn't mentioned in dispatches nor did he win a Victoria Cross. So while he certainly deserves credit for serving there is no need to inflate what he did while doing his job.

Harry isn't the first member of the BRF to serve in the Army or indeed a theatre of operations and will not be the last

He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I commend him and all soldiers for their service.

He wasn't mentioned in dispatches nor did he win a Victoria Cross. So while he certainly deserves credit for serving there is no need to inflate what he did while doing his job.

Harry isn't the first member of the BRF to serve in the Army or indeed a theatre of operations and will not be the last

That's all true, but back in 1983, Prince Andrew was in exactly the same position as Harry is in now - he was hailed a hero for serving in the Falklands but only because he was in the public eye and people's admiration of the armed services tends to focus on any individual who happens to be or become high profile, such as Simon Weston (albeit for different reasons).

I see no harm if people want to inflate Harry's service in Afghanistan, it brings attention to the work that the forces do as much as it brings positive attention to Harry, whether that is right, wrong or somewhere in between.

I might add that many people here in Britain were disappointed for Prince William not being allowed to serve in the same way as Harry because we know he wanted to, but wasn't allowed. This lead to much frustration for him and the country.

I hope that people will be proud of both William and Harry and accept that their paths are different, but no less admirable from each other.

Pr. Harry isn´t popular only because he served as a soldier, but because of his personality, his zest for life and his commitment to his charities.

He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan...
If he were like every other British soldier he would have gone to Iraq, however Prince Harry did not serve in Iraq. He was scheduled to go with his unit in 2007, but the military changed it's mind as he was considered a target and thus a danger to fellow soldiers (and himself) thus he was not allowed to go. Instead the secret deployment to Afghanistan occurred. This lasted for 10 weeks and only ended when the German and Australian media broke the news embargo thus exposing Harry and his fellow soldiers to increased risk necessitating Harry's early removal.
Harry then retrained as an Apache helicopter pilot because that was his only path to returning to active deployment in the battle zone, the reasoning being that the Apaches were targets irrespective of who was in them.
In regards to Harry's intelligence, he had to test to enter Sandhurst, which he did. He had to compete to become an Apache helicopter pilot and at the time many suggested he wasn't smart enough to complete the course, but he was and in fact excelled at it.
I write this not as a Harry supporter, rather to address some facts which have been ignored. It gets a bit tiresome to read claims that someone is pro a certain royal just because they point to actual evidence which corrects inaccuracies.
I suspect that when Harry has a goal, as he seems to have had his entire life to be in the military, Harry excels. Whereas when he is disinterested, as he was in academics as a teenager at Eton, he chooses not to make the effort to do well. This by the way is neither pro or anti Harry - just an observation based on human nature.

We should appreciate the service of all those who are in the Armed Forces, but I feel that those who have served in combat conditions are especially deserving of commendation. There is a big difference between noncombat duty and combat duty. I respect the work done by people like Charles and William, but it is not as noteworthy as Harry and Andrew's service.

That is not putting anyone down, it is just acknowledging the difficulties of risking life and limb as Harry and Andrew did. Especially since Harry could have easily avoided combat duty. I don't know what it is like it Britain, but few U.S. millionaires go into the armed services, much less go out of their way to go into combat areas. There are, of course, notable exceptions.

Just because most soldiers don't win medals doesn't mean they didn't serve with distinction.

TBH, I didn't take Rudolph's posting to be derogatory by any means. I saw it simply as a gentle reminder that ALL persons that serve in the Armed Forces should be remembered and appreciated. This is the reason I found it so touching that Harry returned to Afghanistan to observe Remembrance Day with those with the boots on the ground still in Afghanistan.

Just as in the theater, there are no small parts... just small actors, in the military it takes all of those doing their jobs to ensure a strong united force.

TBH, I didn't take Rudolph's posting to be derogatory by any means. I saw it simply as a gentle reminder that ALL persons that serve in the Armed Forces should be remembered and appreciated. This is the reason I found it so touching that Harry returned to Afghanistan to observe Remembrance Day with those with the boots on the ground still in Afghanistan.

Just as in the theater, there are no small parts... just small actors, in the military it takes all of those doing their jobs to ensure a strong united force.

I don't think that Rudolph was denigrating Harry, but questioning my use of the word "distinction" as it relates to Harry's service. I think Rudolph's point is that other people have served in combat too. I agree that Harry's service is not "distinguished" because he is Harry--I think that anyone who serves honorably in combat is worthy of having his or her service deemed "distinguished."

I don't think that Rudolph was denigrating Harry, but questioning my use of the word "distinction" as it relates to Harry's service. I think Rudolph's point is that other people have served in combat too. I agree that Harry's service is not "distinguished" because he is Harry--I think that anyone who serves honorably in combat is worthy of having his or her service deemed "distinguished."

My fault for not quoting a post. My response on Rudolph's post was generated by Tiggersk8's response to it.

We also should not ever forgot those that serve in the armed forces that work in the mess halls and do KP. Imagine there being no food for the weary soldiers. Nor forget the doctors and nurses that work to provide medical care when needed or the latrine diggers and cleaners and the list goes on and on. If everyone was a 4 star general, nothing would get done at all.

actual evidence which corrects inaccuracies.

I suspect that when Harry has a goal, as he seems to have had his entire life to be in the military, Harry excels. Whereas when he is disinterested, as he was in academics as a teenager at Eton, he chooses not to make the effort to do well. This by the way is neither pro or anti Harry - just an observation based on human nature.[/QUOTE]

Prince Harry has dyslexia and a reading disability which he worked very hard to overcome. I am sure he would have liked to excel at Eton but that wasn't the right setting for his learning style. He is an inspiration to kids dealing with learning issues. He is obviously intelligent and has a high EQ. He is somewhat immature but he dedicates himself to causes he believes in. He has shown dedication to servicemen and women.

I am unclear on why all the anti -Harry sentiment started around Remembrance Day weekend.

I think we should use this time to honor all who serve on the front line- including first responders.

Last edited:
Well so much for my earlier posting about staying on topic.

For the record I've deleted about 18 posts that had NOTHING to do with Harry's Current Events (i.e Harry's time at Eton, whether or not he was arrested, comparisons with William's Army career, etc.)

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:

It . Go figure . . . . .

They wouldn't. There has been absolutely no "credible" information that would lead us to believe that he is dislexic. The fact that Beatrice has it and went public about it years ago is highly commendable and if Harry was the same I am sure we would have heard about it.

He was interviewed by Jeremy Clarkson April 2007. In that interview he discussed his reading disability.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Jeremy Clarkson was the man I was thinking of!! Thanks, sthreats! Chelsy and Harry couldn't move out of their holiday apartment because of Press attention.

Video:
Prince Harry has presented No 26 Squadron RAF Regiment with a new standard during a parade at RAF Honington in Suffolk. Harry then met with service personnel and their families at the station's new Heritage Centre-

Home - ITNSource News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom