The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,840
More detailed information, including his aim to bring the Warrior Games to Britain

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Prince Harry quits as helicopter pilot to lead bid to bring Warrior Games to London - and he and Cressida still dating but have no plans to marry - UK - News - London Evening Standard
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
He is still in the Army. Harry has only been on secondment with the Army Air Corp. He is still in the Blues and Royals.
I know.. but I meant for someone who has always wanted to be an active soldier it must seem a step back to become a "mere" staff member in an office. It feels to me like there must be more of a reason behind his decision that bringing the Warrior Games to London.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,283
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2m
Prince Harry has left the Army Air Corps and will become a staff officer at the Army's headquarters in London, Kensington Palace says.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1m
Harry will take the position of SO3 (Defence Engagement) and be based at Horse Guards in London.His job will involve coordinating big events

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 24s
Harry, who spent three and a half years training and serving as an Apache helicopter pilot, will retain the rank of Captain.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 4m
Prince Harry has quit his role as an Apache helicopter pilot in favour of a London desk job organising ceremonial events, KP announce today

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 2m
he'll remain a Commissioned Officer in the Household Cavalry but will now take up a Staff Officer role at Horse Guards.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 51s
Harry will co-ordinate significant projects and commemorative events involving the Army.This also means he can now take on more royal duties
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I know.. but I meant for someone who has always wanted to be an active soldier it must seem a step back to become a "mere" staff member in an office. It feels to me like there must be more of a reason behind his decision that bringing the Warrior Games to London.
This is an important role as Staff Officer and is part of development in going up the ranks as a professional soldier.

Flying Apache helicopters is a time-limited role - age is an important factor and there aren't many in there 30's! Also, he isn't going to see active service with them again.

I think that he also wants to settle down and be based in London to give his relationship with Cressida a chance to develop further.

So - career development; charitable opportunities with injured military personnel and a chance at a steady relationship - it's a WIN WIN WIN


EDIT: offical comment from Clarence House

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/medi...army-air-corps
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,901
Good news that Harry will be involved in ceremonial events and will be able to take on more official duties.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,001
I hope this is what he wants. He's worked very hard to be an apache pilot. The training program is not easy and not everyone is able to complete it.

I tend to think that Cepe is right and this rotation may be based more on his age than his desires. The U.S. armed services tend to like their pilots on the younger side, so perhaps that is true in Britain.

Regardless, I am sure he will make the most of his new position.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I hope this is what he wants. He's worked very hard to be an apache pilot. The training program is not easy and not everyone is able to complete it.

I tend to think that Cepe is right and this rotation may be based more on his age than his desires. The U.S. armed services tend to like their pilots on the younger side, so perhaps that is true in Britain.

Regardless, I am sure he will make the most of his new position.
I thought about this too, and then realized what he will be working on will be uniquely his own. He's leveraging his position with his service in the Army to do something no one else would be able to do. It lets him continue to interact with mates in or who have given service - which clearly is what he loves.
If you look at his "hobbies" and pursuits, he really does like the city. He will go anywhere with his comrades in arms, but it is his mates that draw him there. He loved active duty not because of the rugged beauty of the landscape, but because it kept him out of the limelight and let him be a guy with equals.
He is not a Highgrove kind of guy but if there were maneuvers or games at Highrove - he'd be all over it. He is not a "quiet home in the country" kind of guy though.
He likes the energy of a football match, a concert, a day on the polo field or even Las Vegas and London.
This post lets him have it all. And it will keep him out of situations where he can explain what it means to be an Apache pilot who kills the enemy.
__________________
It feels like a place where no truth goes unquestioned and where there is much more discovering to be done in the world" The Duke of Cambridge, 12/9/14

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Excalibur's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I know.. but I meant for someone who has always wanted to be an active soldier it must seem a step back to become a "mere" staff member in an office. It feels to me like there must be more of a reason behind his decision that bringing the Warrior Games to London.
I tend to agree. It is almost as if the "troops" (or in this case the heirs) are being recalled home. First William, now Harry, are being officially based back in London. Closer to "home base", if you will. Yes there is the added benefit that they will be doing more royal duties, but could it be that this is the main reason this recall is taking place? Yes, HM and DoE are aging and the inevitable could occur at any time, but I just keep wondering if there isn't another reason for the stepped up schedule. Could there be an undisclosed health issue that makes everyone think the inevitable may happen sooner rather than later?

Again, I have no reason or basis for this supposition, just a gut feeling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I thought about this too, and then realized what he will be working on will be uniquely his own. He's leveraging his position with his service in the Army to do something no one else would be able to do. It lets him continue to interact with mates in or who have given service - which clearly is what he loves.
If you look at his "hobbies" and pursuits, he really does like the city. He will go anywhere with his comrades in arms, but it is his mates that draw him there. He loved active duty not because of the rugged beauty of the landscape, but because it kept him out of the limelight and let him be a guy with equals.
He is not a Highgrove kind of guy but if there were maneuvers or games at Highrove - he'd be all over it. He is not a "quiet home in the country" kind of guy though.
He likes the energy of a football match, a concert, a day on the polo field or even Las Vegas and London.
This post lets him have it all. And it will keep him out of situations where he can explain what it means to be an Apache pilot who kills the enemy.
I agree that Harry is not a "quiet home in the country" kind of guy, but I am not sure that he isn't also a country estate kind of guy. I agree that he probably isn't into the same type of quiet introspection his father is--Harry probably doesn't garden or paint.

On the other hand, although Harry loves nightclubbing, he also loves polo, riding, shooting, fishing, hiking, etc... He can't do those things in the city. It's just my impression, but I don't think he does these activities just to hang out with his friends, he seems to enjoy being physically active and testing his endurance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,840
Just want to add that he isnt going to be just doing ceremonials but the press have picked up on that and emphasised it.

an example of ceremonials that he might be involved in is Trooping the Colour.

Before this news broke, I discussed Harrys options with my other half who is ex military. He came up with Staff Officer but said it was unlikely as he was only a Captain and usually it was someone more senior. His view is that this will probably be a short term secondment to HQ and then back to his regiment, learning to manage larger numbers of troops and promotion exams.

Of course all that might already have been mentioned in the press but Ive not looked at any since the news broke.

People get trained by the military at great expense and then leave, on a regular basis (how else is promotion possible?). I dont agree with those saying he has wasted as he used his training to great effect and he is staying in the services.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM
julliette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree that Harry is not a "quiet home in the country" kind of guy, but I am not sure that he isn't also a country estate kind of guy. I agree that he probably isn't into the same type of quiet introspection his father is--Harry probably doesn't garden or paint.

On the other hand, although Harry loves nightclubbing, he also loves polo, riding, shooting, fishing, hiking, etc... He can't do those things in the city. It's just my impression, but I don't think he does these activities just to hang out with his friends, he seems to enjoy being physically active and testing his endurance.
I agree with your view about Harry but regarding the gardening and painting, isn't he said to do both?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 166
With the war winding down, Britain will be reducing its military. Being an Apache pilot may not be feasible at this time. The military leaders may see a different role for Harry in the "new" peace time Army. Besides military needs, there are two other reasons for this change.

1. Charles has wanted a smaller leaner royal family - William and Katherine can not do it all and the older generation is just that senior citizens. So it may be time for Harry to shoulder more royal/public duty.

2. Being assigned to London will make it easier to plan a wedding and to help Cressie as a member of the royal family.

I think this is more evidence that there will be a royal wedding this year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I tend to agree. It is almost as if the "troops" (or in this case the heirs) are being recalled home. First William, now Harry, are being officially based back in London. Closer to "home base", if you will. Yes there is the added benefit that they will be doing more royal duties, but could it be that this is the main reason this recall is taking place? Yes, HM and DoE are aging and the inevitable could occur at any time, but I just keep wondering if there isn't another reason for the stepped up schedule. Could there be an undisclosed health issue that makes everyone think the inevitable may happen sooner rather than later?

Again, I have no reason or basis for this supposition, just a gut feeling.
I have been thinking the same thing. Maybe HM has something wrong with her health wise, that we don't know off. Or maybe its nothing and we are just over-analyzing everything.

Well I wish HM the very best of health.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,840
This is the best report I've read as it gives some information on how the army works and the wider picture in terms of his role.

Prince Harry drops Army combat role to start new desk job | Royal | News | Daily Express
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I tend to agree. It is almost as if the "troops" (or in this case the heirs) are being recalled home. First William, now Harry, are being officially based back in London. Closer to "home base", if you will. Yes there is the added benefit that they will be doing more royal duties, but could it be that this is the main reason this recall is taking place? Yes, HM and DoE are aging and the inevitable could occur at any time, but I just keep wondering if there isn't another reason for the stepped up schedule. Could there be an undisclosed health issue that makes everyone think the inevitable may happen sooner rather than later?

Again, I have no reason or basis for this supposition, just a gut feeling.
I can see your point, but hopefully just the family firm at their planning best. I think there is a definite '5 yr (post-Jubilee) transitional plan' in place and we are in the midst of year 2

1 - Charles attending Commonwealth and State opening of Parliament
2 - William leaving the military, taking on investitures, moving to London full time. having babies and getting his family settled
3 - Harry transitioning and taking on a new role in London. and if things continue well then a 2015 wedding. the thing about Harry and Cress is they need to be together in an ongoing relationship in the same city - not just weekends here and vacations there to see if they are compatible.

The end result is the 2 Princes being settled in London - doing their own projects and assuming more royal duties.

The family firm does a great job of planning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
I agree with your view about Harry but regarding the gardening and painting, isn't he said to do both?
You could be right. I can't remember reading anything about Harry gardening or painting but I am sure he has done both.

I think of Harry as the type of person who is happy no matter where he is. I think he is a nightclubber, but he is also into country sports. I can see him having a home in the city and a nice country retreat--like most of the royal family.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,929
Harry did Art for his A levels and painted some pretend indigenous Australian picture (I say pretend because he isn't an indigenous Australian and only they do the genuine article). It was the subject that lead to the allegations of a teacher having to do the work for him. He earned a B for Art (and a D for Geography).

That would suggest that he has some interest in painting if he did it for his A levels but whether he still paints I am not sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 01-18-2014, 06:19 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
You could be right. I can't remember reading anything about Harry gardening or painting but I am sure he has done both.

I think of Harry as the type of person who is happy no matter where he is. I think he is a nightclubber, but he is also into country sports. I can see him having a home in the city and a nice country retreat--like most of the royal family.
Well, he gave input on the design of a garden at the Chelsea flower show. As to how much he gets in there and plants/weeds...
__________________
It feels like a place where no truth goes unquestioned and where there is much more discovering to be done in the world" The Duke of Cambridge, 12/9/14

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
You could be right. I can't remember reading anything about Harry gardening or painting but I am sure he has done both.

I think of Harry as the type of person who is happy no matter where he is. I think he is a nightclubber, but he is also into country sports. I can see him having a home in the city and a nice country retreat--like most of the royal family.
I thinking clubbing is a phase, plus you need friends to "club" with. They are all either married or engaged. But I'm disappointed that he's into burger bars as there are better options!

Wills and Kate used to go clubbing - not any more.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I thinking clubbing is a phase, plus you need friends to "club" with. They are all either married or engaged. But I'm disappointed that he's into burger bars as there are better options!
Maybe he likes a good burger. If you like a good burger and you've found a burger bar that serves a good burger, there is no better option!

And I'd rather see Harry going to a burger bar than staggering out of the other sort of bar in the early hours.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (2 members and 11 guests)
MARG
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
abdication belgium brussels carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman poland president gauck president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess charlene princess haya princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]