Prince Harry Current Events 27: April 2013-March 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His new qualification does not change his rank but it will allow him to take overall charge of missions involving up to two attack helicopters at a time.

He remains a co-pilot gunner is my point. He didn't switch seats but added more responsibility

His new qualification seen him complete the Conversion to Type Course (CTT), which teaches students to fly the aircraft, and the Conversion to Role (CTR) Course during which he learned to fight the aircraft and was awarded the prize for the best Co-Pilot Gunner.

In practical terms when a reporter uses the word "pilot" it is probably generic, ie a personi in the helicopter. The earlier report a few months ago did state that apache personnel were in shortsupply.

IMO they would be dumb sending Harry. :sad: Needless bravura that puts others at greater risk. Harry has proved he cannot be sent into harms way for a whole raft of reasons. The enemy is not dumb. This is not a game to make one man feel 'involved'. I'm being blunt. I would not be happy if I thought the British would be playing this game with the troops. :ermm:

:previous: hes already been in danger. This is not bravado, it is sonething that a serving soldier would be expected to do.

I think it is an option. but firstly, the UK gov needs to determine its role. air support is currently being seen as preferred option. I think this is possible, but not probable.

hes already been in danger.

Correct, and it proved disastrous. :sad: There was a direct loss of lives because of his presence. The risk so that one man can have a 'normal experience' (as though war is 'normal) is not acceptable imo.

This is not bravado, it is something that a serving soldier would be expected to do.

Except Harry is not just any serving soldier. He's had his time trying 'to be like any other soldier'. It doesn't work. Full stop. He needs to take himself out of the loop. This war is nasty and grubby and does not need one man trying to make it glamorous and exciting with his participation.

I think it is an option, but firstly, the UK gov needs to determine its role. air support is currently being seen as preferred option. I think this is possible, but not probable.

If the UK decides that they want to use any support as a chance for one man to play soldier, I say their help should not be tapped. Far, far too risky for all. :sad:

:previous: we will have to disagree

:previous: Well, with all the differing opinions and press reports about what Harry actually is, has and does, I decided to go with the official bio:

Military Career

One can only hope the Apache's are not deployed to yet another hot zone and that Harry's mates and Harry himself do not find themselves deployed on active service anytime soon.
IMO they would be dumb sending Harry. :sad: Needless bravura that puts others at greater risk. Harry has proved he cannot be sent into harms way for a whole raft of reasons. The enemy is not dumb. This is not a game to make one man feel 'involved'. I'm being blunt. I would not be happy if I thought the British would be playing this game with the troops. :ermm:
I am not sure exactly what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that the UK would provide an actual "fighting war" for Harry to play with?
Correct, and it proved disastrous. :sad: There was a direct loss of lives because of his presence. The risk so that one man can have a 'normal experience' (as though war is 'normal) is not acceptable imo.
I think I must be missing something. Are you saying that Harry "playing soldier" was directly responsible for the deaths of fellow soldiers?
Except Harry is not just any serving soldier. He's had his time trying 'to be like any other soldier'. It doesn't work. Full stop. He needs to take himself out of the loop. This war is nasty and grubby and does not need one man trying to make it glamorous and exciting with his participation.

If the UK decides that they want to use any support as a chance for one man to play soldier, I say their help should not be tapped. Far, far too risky for all.
:sad:
:previous: Could you clarify further please? I am obviously missing the sub-plot here.

Last edited:
Didn't Harry end his attachment to the Army Air Corp and returned to the Blues and Royals? So if the Air Corp is deployed and the Blues & Royals are not, wouldn't Harry just stay his cavalry regiment?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Although Harry served in Afghanistan and was definitely in harm's way, I don't think the situation was as dire as it would now be to serve over in the Middle East with ISIS in the picture.

Regardless of how Harry may feel that he would want to do his part and serve with his mates, the fact remains that he is who he is and to ensure the safety of himself and those around him, I think it would be best if he remained at home. Why paint a bullseye on something when you don't have to?

Didn't Harry end his attachment to the Army Air Corp and returned to the Blues and Royals? So if the Air Corp is deployed and the Blues & Royals are not, wouldn't Harry just stay his cavalry regiment?

This is what Harry does now

Prince Harry, who has the rank of Captain, continues to serve in the Armed Forces and took up a Staff Officer role in HQ London District as SO3 (Defence Engagement) in 2014 , where he will help to co-ordinate significant projects and commemorative events involving the Army in London. Prince Harry remains a Commissioned Officer in the Household Cavalry.

Hmm, Harry is indeed polishing a seat in Whitehall, a 9-5 five days a week job no less. However, should the need arise the Military could change his secondment in an instant. That's how the military works . . . moves, postings, deployments, the cancelling of all or any, the bringing forward of all or any and the deferment of all or any.

Such is life in the military in both peace and war. You go where you are sent.

Regardless of what Harry or anyone else cares to think, he is not just any soldier. If he were to go anywhere near ISIS territory, he would be a prime target to be taken hostage as would anyone else who was in their way. There are videos and photos out there of ISIS murdering British aid workers; It's not just the US citizens they're after. ISIS would be over the moon at the chance of capturing Prince Harry and beheading him on video.

:previous: Well, with all the differing opinions and press reports about what Harry actually is, has and does, I decided to go with the official bio.

Good idea. :flowers: I do agree.

I am not sure exactly what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that the UK would provide an actual "fighting war" for Harry to play with?

Certainly not. :sad: I have far more respect for the UK than to suggest that, which I didn't suggest btw. Just to be clear.

I think I must be missing something. Are you saying that Harry "playing soldier" was directly responsible for the deaths of fellow soldiers? Could you clarify further please? I am obviously missing the sub-plot here.

I am usually not obscure in my writing. :ermm: But if you genuinely don't understand my text, I would recommend that you google Harry's Afghanistan experience. That's about all I can offer. :flowers:

Regardless of what Harry or anyone else cares to think, he is not just any soldier. If he were to go anywhere near ISIS territory, he would be a prime target to be taken hostage as would anyone else who was in their way. There are videos and photos out there of ISIS murdering British aid workers; It's not just the US citizens they're after. ISIS would be over the moon at the chance of capturing Prince Harry and beheading him on video.

Exactly so. :sad: This is a serious matter. Harry was targeted in Afghanistan. It had consequences for others. Militarily it makes no sense to send Harry (of all people) into harm's way with the kind of enemy being fought there. Full stop.

Last edited:

If the UK decides that they want to use any support as a chance for one man to play soldier, I say their help should not be tapped. Far, far too risky for all. :sad:

I am usually not obscure in my writing. :ermm: But if you genuinely don't understand my text, I would recommend that you google Harry's Afghanistan experience. That's about all I can offer.

Exactly so. :sad: This is a serious matter. Harry was targeted in Afghanistan. It had consequences for others. Militarily it makes no sense to send Harry (of all people) into harm's way with the kind of enemy being fought there. Full stop.
First, I have seen no evidence that Prince Harry has ever tried to portray war as glamorous. Indeed his comments have focused on the horrors of war and a great deal of his time is dedicated to championing those who've been maimed and killed in war - hardly 'glamorous' or exciting subjects. Realize that Harry comes from a family of military men. His father served and his grandfather saw active duty during WWII. His Uncle saw active duty in the Falklands.
The claim that Prince Harry caused others to lose their lives needs more support than a glib 'google it.' So why not be specific rather than coy?
If you are referring to the 9/14/2012, Camp Bastion attack may I suggest you abandon the tabloid press and 'google' the official U.S. Marine Corp report, particularly that portion which categorically denies that the attack had anything to do with Prince Harry.
In fact the planning by the Taliban for the attack began back in 2011, whereas Harry had only been there about a week. I won't bore you with the actual evidence which disproves any claim that this attack had anything to do with Prince Harry, but to quote the Centcom report the terrorists "[p]rimarily focused on destroying or damaging aircraft and infrastructure." And that is what was destroyed - US jets and fuel facilities. The British Apache helicopters (and Prince Harry) were elsewhere. The fact that it was the US Marines' area that was hit and that the attack occurred within days of 9/11, all highlight that the Taliban were, once again, targeting the US.
If you were referring to another alleged incident please state the date and place clearly rather than resorting to vague innuendo, thank you.

Last edited:
The UK military invested a lot of money in Harry. They did just that so, when the need arises, they could send him off to whatever warzone needs him. Just like any other soldier out there. If the military felt that his precense is too great a risk they should never have trained him. And they never would have. They know exactly who and what Harry is and it didn't stop them from sending him to Afghanistan twice so the danger must not be as big as some people like to think it is.

I don't know Harry, but I know one thing. If his fellow soldiers are sent off to whatever hell hole out there he'd want to go as well. And given the chance.. He'll go.

:previous: Nicely said. Harry retrained and re-branched into the Army Air Corp in the hope of being able to serve relatively anonymously and when he made the grade as an Apache pilot it was pointed out that every Apache helicopter had a big red target on it. That being the case, Harry's prescence could not make things more dangerous than they already were.

More importantly, Harry has the moral imperative to serve, and he is quite well aware that it is not a game. Using computer games to maintain peak hand/eye co-ordination is in no way indicative that all military pilots in the theatre of war who use such games thinks that doing their job is a game. It is the job they have been trained to do and they serve their country with honour.

As has been said previously, it is in Harry's blood and he, like his Uncle Andrew before him, is ready to serve as required. Fortunately, his posting is in the hands of the military and not an hysterical media and at present he is polishing a seat in Whitehall. No junior officer really enjoys that!

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 2h 2 hours ago
Prince Harry is to visit Oman and the UAE later this month, Kensington Palace says.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 2h 2 hours ago
Prince Harry will be in Oman Nov 18-20 for events around the National Day Parade. He'll play in the Sentebale Polo Cup in Abu Dhabi Nov 20.

Yes I agree. There's a long tradition of military service in the British Royal Family, and Harry is part of that. I think the last thing he would want would be to be treated any differently to any other soldier. Nor do I think he has been apart from the necessary additions of RPO's wherever he is. I don't believe the Army would spend millions on Harry's training as a helicopter pilot if they believed he couldn't do the job. Harry is far less of a target up in the air than he would be on the ground if that is the issue.

Camp Bastion would have been attacked in any case. The planning of it had probably been going on for weeks.

Harry is at Whitehall at the moment because he has to be, not because he wants to be. It's important if he wishes to be promoted to senior rank.

I am heartened that we see things differently, yet can disagree and maintain courtesy. :flowers: Some things are just not worth going into on a chat site like this imo.

I have become aware that there are posters for whom a particular view of certain royals and royal matters are very personal. Understanding that I do not wish to upset anyone with a drone of additional facts and/or fancies. This is not the time nor place for such imo.

I am here to have fun. :flowers:

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3h 3 hours ago
Prince Harry will present No. 26 Squadron of the RAF with a new standard on 13th November in Suffolk. He is an Honorary Air Commandant.

Video:
Prince Harry has visited the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey today. Prince Harry laid a Cross of Remembrance in front of two wooden crosses from the Graves of Unknown British Soldiers from the First and Second World Wars. The 'Last Post' sounded followed by a two minutes' silence after which Harry visited the plots meeting veterans from past and more recent conflicts-

Home - ITNSource News

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 34m 34 minutes ago
Prince Harry confessed tonight he missed his role as an Apache helicopter pilot and would like to return to flying in the future.

:previous: Well, no surprise there. When the Army tells you to come and go, you do. But, it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Harry looked so comfortable laughing and joking with veterans in the crowd at the Remembrance ceremonies. He does this sort of thing so well!

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 23m 23 minutes ago
Prince Harry, Vice Patron of the RFU, will attend the England v New Zealand Rugby Union match at Twickenham tomorrow.

This is not the match W&K are going to attend too right?

No, the Cambridges are going to Wales versus Australia. Wills is the Welsh Rugby Vice Patron, Harry is the English Vice Patron and Anne is Scottish one. I don't know if she is a Patron or Vice Patron. The Queen is Patron of the Welsh and English. It would make sense that she is also the Scottish patron.

Prince Harry confesses he prefers reading comics to books | Royal | News | Daily Express
The Action Man prince, who flew Apache helicopters in Afghanistan, has never been known as an intellectual.

But his admission that he has not actually read many books and misses flying suggests he may not last long in his current desk job.

Harry, 30, disclosed his reading habits to cartoonist Will Kevans, a former Welsh Guardsman who gave him a comic strip book he has created about the 1982 Falklands war.

“I don’t read many books but I love comics,” the Prince told him when he visited the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey. “I might actually read that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom