The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Daily mail too

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail)
1/27/13 2:14 PM
Details and pictures of Prince Harry's all night welcome home party in the Daily Mail tomorrow....

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail)
1/27/13 2:26 PM
I would hasten to add there were no Vegas-style antics - and Prince Harry made it home alone......by 10.30am!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

There is always a "tipping point" in public opinion (as opposed to what the papers say).

Harry is popular with the general public; the public have come to realise how the press manipulate information. "Harry-bashing" will end up counter-productive.

An earlier post covered the fact that the media discovered they were powerful and could "control" the BRF. Well the public discovered they had power and closed down the NoW paper.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Nobility

To be fair, the News of the World was shut down because it was discovered they were tapping into the private voice messages and emails of well-known people. I believe Prince William was the first to realize something was amiss.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
To be fair, the News of the World was shut down because it was discovered they were tapping into the private voice messages and emails of well-known people. I believe Prince William was the first to realize something was amiss.
the tipping point was the public backlash against the hacking of milly dowler's phone (young schoolgirl who was murdered and they hacked her phone, making her parents think she was still alive). They stopped buying. Social networks went into negative overdrive. The public weren't that bothered about the hacking of celebrities

The Sun newspaper had to take action when they insulted Liverpool and the entire city stopped buying the paper. I think it was the Sun - apologies if I've mis-remembered

Harry is currently representing the army/military to many people. I am putting forward the argument that although the papers believe they are all powerful, they could have misread this. Just an alternative viewpoint to previous threads. I could be wrong.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Serene Highness

To those who are critical of Prince Harry's interview: It's easy to criticize him because we are not in his situation. We are sitting from the comfort of our homes watching or reading his interview.

I would like to know for those who criticized him, what should he have said then instead of what he did say. No one seems to have an answer to this question. I guess next time he should come with a printed script, read it off and then end the interview or give the interviewer a written script of what could be asked of him. Then he would criticized for having others put words into his mouth instead of him speaking.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I would like to know for those who criticized him, what should he have said then instead of what he did say.
Fair question. I'll set about doing just that. It may take a little time to find and transcribe the video and questions, and I do have other things I need to do today, but I'll be back.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
To those who are critical of Prince Harry's interview: It's easy to criticize him because we are not in his situation. We are sitting from the comfort of our homes watching or reading his interview.

I would like to know for those who criticized him, what should he have said then instead of what he did say. No one seems to have an answer to this question. I guess next time he should come with a printed script, read it off and then end the interview or give the interviewer a written script of what could be asked of him. Then he would criticized for having others put words into his mouth instead of him speaking.
I understand why you are asking this, because I dont understand the criticism either. But is it practical? Someone may come back but its just their thoughts, they probably wont be a 28 year old male, serving in the army; they will be someone who has the advantage of 20:20 vision on hidesight; they probably wont have seen active service - or even be in the middle of active service and (if that last interview is anything to go by,) Harry didn't know what the questions were going to be - now we do.

So those that could answer this question will have lots of advantages over Harry. But I really do see your point.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Indeed it is a perfect world and they wish to inhabit it with perfect wind-up princes. Unfortunately Harry is a real live human being with perfectly normal responses.

It has been my personal experience that those involved "at the sharp end" tend to shrug it off and dislike being questioned about the "hard bits". Many only ever talk about the silly things, the jokes, the light-hearted incidents and their reality is their own. Sharing that reality is intensely personal.

Name me one single occasion when a soldier of Harry's age and experience was thrown to the media dogs and acquitted themselves with the wit, charm and charisma of a seasoned General?

Harry's seemingly off hand response to what amounted to a series of in-depth questions more fitted to a court-room cross examination than an interview hardly deserves the vicious character assassination he is getting on this thread and many more like it.

Every single word he said, the way he stood, the way he looked, the way he spoke has been dissected to the nth degree. Every moment examined in itself and not in context. Harry interviewed as a "soldier" and found wanting as a "prince'"!

Where was Harry's opportunity to "decompress"? And how much use are lesson in politically correct interview techniques within the theatre of war?

I don't know about many of you but I find some of the observations on this thread strangely vindictive, and the glee exhibited by some of those performing hatchet jobs, incredibly ugly.
Perfectly said Marg and Thank You!!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
*eyeroll*

I have no doubt that other service members are the least offended. They know the realities he's talking about and many of them probably find the criticism of a fellow service member returning from deployment incredibly distasteful.
Eyeroll necessary? Not able to participate in polite discussion? Ever heard of freedom of speech? Perhaps Forums are not for you, you are acting like those with the mob mentality you claim to detest.

Harry is my favorite royal but like Giraffe says: He is very human and has faults, period. If you don't have the same view of his faults as I do. Fine, no need to spit your dummy and have a tantrum. RESPECT is the key.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Eyeroll necessary? Not able to participate in polite discussion? Ever heard of freedom of speech? Perhaps Forums are not for you, you are acting like those with the mob mentality you claim to detest.

Harry is my favorite royal but like Giraffe says: He is very human and has faults, period. If you don't have the same view of his faults as I do. Fine, no need to spit your dummy and have a tantrum. RESPECT is the key.
Freedom of speech protects people from facing legal repercussions from the government for their speech, it doesn't protect them from facing criticism, nor is facing the mild disapproval of a fellow forums poster a free speech issue in any way, shape or form.

As I've stated before- you're entitled to your opinions, just as I'm entitled to believe that the response to a rather rigorous interview Harry was forced to give immediately after a long deployment before he even had a chance to catch his breath and see his family has been incredibly cruel and intrusive and that the comments on his character have been very malicious.

I also hate it because personally, as a fan of the royal family, I very much enjoy it when they give interviews and share access with the press, and I understand that incidents like this one mean they'll likely limit press access even more than they already do.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Freedom of speech protects people from facing legal repercussions from the government for their speech, it doesn't protect them from facing criticism, nor is facing the mild disapproval of a fellow forums poster a free speech issue in any way, shape or form.

As I've stated before- you're entitled to your opinions, just as I'm entitled to believe that the response to a rather rigorous interview Harry was forced to give immediately after a long deployment before he even had a chance to catch his breath and see his family has been incredibly cruel and intrusive and that the comments on his character have been very malicious.

I also hate it because personally, as a fan of the royal family, I very much enjoy it when they give interviews and share access with the press, and I understand that incidents like this one mean they'll likely limit press access even more than they already do.
That is fine Hermione, I like that you have different opinions to me, and I don't mind being called to attention when I am off mark but I do mind the way in which it is done.

I confess I do not consider myself a fan of the RF. And although a firm Australian republican, I do like Henry, and because of that I get disappointed when he falls short of my "high morals" as some have described. IMO he is the most promising member of the family but seems to be unable to breakthrough the hurt and conquer his hatred for the media. Trouble ensues as we are witnessing right now.

BTW, my comments and concern for the military were just that and not a judgement on what Henry said (although I do think he could have been more guarded...). IF any of the military took offense I do hope they know they are valued, that was all.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Majesty

All will be well in the media once Harry get back to his official engagements. The journalist that's being hard on him now, will be drooling over him at the engagements.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Royal Highness

So what is the old boy up to these next five weeks? Anyone know?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Majesty

My guess he will get back to focusing on his charities and embark on some official engagements.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
So what is the old boy up to these next five weeks? Anyone know?
No ones knows. He had a welcome home party this weekend and I imagine he wants to do nothing for at least two weeks of his 5.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Courtier

Well, he said he works hard and parties hard, so my guess is that, since he has just finished working hard, he will party hard for a bit.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm betting he'll be doing his hard partying behind closed doors so we don't get to see him at it. At least I hope so. Not holding my breath though.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm betting he'll be doing his hard partying behind closed doors so we don't get to see him at it. At least I hope so. Not holding my breath though.
I'm not sure that what he does is exactly "partying". We have no idea about how he feels at the moment. In his last interview it seemed his spirits were a bit on the low side.

IMHO he has just experienced what he had wished he could but hasn't found what he was looking for. He was still "Prince Harry" to some other soldiers. He's now back in Britain, more the prince than ever now he is "hardened" by war and gets older, he is to become an uncle, so probably even in his own perspective is moving up one generation.

And he killed and has yet to make his own inner peace with that - and for a son of Charles that may take a while, for I don't believe he is such a simpleton when it comes to morals and conscience. As it was said by this American colonel in the Mail: Harry was the gunner of the Apache helicopter. He fired the missiles and he saw how this action not only killed people, but has been "blasting them to smithereens."

Maybe it's because I was born in the early 60ties in Germany. I recall seeing a lot of invalids as a child. I saw my father and some of his friends suffer from the guilt they felt on having been soldiers in the war. My, I only learned after his death (as did his wife, my aunt) that one uncle had been an SS-officer who had done atrocious things. I never liked him but I know he felt regret. For what I cannot say, maybe even for having lost the war? but it was clear to me that he was a somehow broken man.

Harry, too, will find out he's changed. War does that to you. And he'll need time to adapt to that knowledge.

I'm not sure we have ever seen the "real" Harry. We don't know how much trauma his mother's death left in him. What it really was that made him decide on becoming a soldier. The wish for once to be "one of the boys" which is only to be had in the military? But - as he just found out, it's not to be had even there. Still some "gawked" at him, he said. Still some (and there will always be some there) saw him as "Prince Harry" and not "Captain Wales". And this at the most extreme place a man can go: a soldier actually serving in a war zone. Not a Royal visiting the troups, but one serving there like the others.

He gave the ultimative sacrifice to his country besides his life: he lost his innocense on killing. And he talked honestly about it and about his experiences.

The result: the media grilled him and made him a laughingstock for their readers who have no idea what Harry actually went through.

I believe Harry will do a lot of thinking now. He will grow up now and must try to come to terms with his being a prince. His brother was lucky: he found a princess to share his ivory tower with it and she brought a loving family along. He still lives in the Royal ivory tower but with enough people to feel comfortable.

Let's hope Harry will find his own solution to the questions of his life.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

I'm not sure that what he does is exactly "partying"
I'm confused - Henry had a welcome home party this weekend. If that wasn't partying, what is it?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm confused - Henry had a welcome home party this weekend. If that wasn't partying, what is it?
Normally "partying" means having too much to drink, having a bit over the top fun etc. What Harry had this weekend could be a much tamer thing, a party, yes, but not necessarily including "hard partying". Just wanted to say: we don't know. He could have been sitting there, talking to friends while listening to (okay, it was reported: loud) music. I just wanted to pint out that we don't know enough about Harry to know what kind of entertanment he had.