The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry also made the point that people's reaction to the Vegas pictures changed when they realised a short time later that it was a final few days of fun before he went to Afghanistan. He points out that the media knew he was going to Afghanistan when they chose to run those pictures. They chose to hang him out to dry for letting his family and his country down, knowing that he would be in Afghanistan within days.

I caught a bit of Erin Burnett on CNN last night and she said that Harry had "boasted" about killing Taliban. I wonder what interview she saw? I saw Harry responding very matter-of-factly to a question his interviewer put to him. He also said that that wasn't why he chose to become an Apache pilot. He didn't join the Army to kill people, but to protect his comrades when people are trying to kill them.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I caught a bit of Erin Burnett on CNN last night and she said that Harry had "boasted" about killing Taliban. I wonder what interview she saw? I saw Harry responding very matter-of-factly to a question his interviewer put to him. He also said that that wasn't why he chose to become an Apache pilot. He didn't join the Army to kill people, but to protect his comrades when people are trying to kill them.
Harry should be smart enough by now that he cannot expect his words not to be twisted or interpreted in a negative way by the media or those who want to use Harry's statements for their own agenda. His intention may have been good and honest but that doesnt matter.

That's why I thought that he should have stayed clear of such a sensible subject, killing people (being talibans or not) and make a reference to computer games.

He shot himself in the foot with such statements because people might become rubbed the wrong way and not only draw their own conclusion but take action (I read that Harry's security is likely to be stepped up).

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Duke of Marmalade;1508252]Harry should be smart enough by now that he cannot expect his words not to be twisted or interpreted in a negative way by the media or those who want to use Harry's statements for their own agenda. His intention may have been good and honest but that doesnt matter.

That's why I thought that he should have stayed clear of such a sensible subject, killing people (being talibans or not) and make a reference to computer games.

He shot himself in the foot with such statements because people might become rubbed the wrong way and not only draw their own conclusion but take action (I read that Harry's security is likely to be stepped up).

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.[/QUOTE]

Increased security Pure speculation by a former officer who has no inside track and was paid for saying this.

Pool parties I suggest no pool parties and trips to Vegas at all.

Security officers - I think he is getting new ones

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Harry should be smart enough by now that he cannot expect his words not to be twisted or interpreted in a negative way by the media or those who want to use Harry's statements for their own agenda. His intention may have been good and honest but that doesnt matter.

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.
What was he supposed to be talking about then?? As far as I can tell the interviews were supposed to be about his time in Afghanistan so how do people reckon he talks about it when he's not allowed to mention any of the things soldiers do when they go to war.

It doesn't matter what he says, the press will use it against him no matter what and people will think what they want. I saw a comment in the Guardian (I think) saying he is "severely intellectually challenged". He may not test well but neither does my niece and she has an iq of 142.

For him (and others in this situation) this is a lose lose situation and it must be frustrating.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
Prince Harry will arrive back at RAF Brize Norton in the UK this afternoon after his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Harry is not expected to be met by members of his family when he arrives at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, royal sources say.

Prince Harry is expected to travel on to his base in Suffolk with the rest of his unit after landing and giving an interview.

BBC News - Prince Harry heading home after Afghanistan deployment
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I love the BBC - they have actually quoted what he said!

On his role in Afghanistan, the prince said: "We fire when we have to, take a life to save a life, but essentially we're more of a deterrent than anything else."

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I love the BBC - they have actually quoted what he said!

On his role in Afghanistan, the prince said: "We fire when we have to, take a life to save a life, but essentially we're more of a deterrent than anything else."
That's what the sky interview had as well, CNN must have made their own version up.

RETURNING HOME UPDATES!
1; He's due back this afternoon "in a few hours"
2; He will not meet his family at Brize Norton
3; He will travel to Wattisham with his regiment, before that the press HOPE for a quick interview.
4; He'll spend the next few days at Wattisham then enjoy five weeks leave.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I read this twice - just to make sure:-
Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@GuyCraft He's obliged to give an interview under the terms of an agreement between the media and the Ministry of Defence on his deployment.

Obliged - as in no choice. No wonder he's hissed off.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I read this twice - just to make sure:-
Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@GuyCraft He's obliged to give an interview under the terms of an agreement between the media and the Ministry of Defence on his deployment.

Obliged - as in no choice. No wonder he's hissed off.
But that's the terms, that why he could go out there for five months, give 3 interviews, 2 whilst out there and one when he got back. Henry himself said as much on the Sky interview I saw. There's got to be give an take. I personally think he should have been allowed to give an interview before leaving and one when he got home, not in a war zone where he should be doing his job.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Don't you think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the MOD having to negotiate terms with the media in order to manage the deployment of a full-time service officer?

They obviously felt they had to because the media are so (blank-blank) irresponsible.

And he has to go through with it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Don't you think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the MOD having to negotiate terms with the media in order to manage the deployment of a full-time service officer?

They obviously felt they had to because the media are so (blank-blank) irresponsible.

And he has to go through with it.
You do know who this full time service officer is don't you? There is nothing "normal" about this situation or his deployment. Henry knew what he would have to sacrifice so he could back out there again, he said yes. Like I said it would have been sensible for the interviews to be done when he got back not whilst he was there.

RETURN UPDATE: Henry is due back at 4:30pm British time, so fan girls have for about an hour and 20 to appear at Brize Norton
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Royal Highness

So does this mean a parade will be at a later stage, or there won't be one?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
So does this mean a parade will be at a later stage, or there won't be one?
No parade has been spoken of. There might be one when his tour is "officially" over next week.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Will the interview be BBC and Sky News?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Will the interview be BBC and Sky News?
By the looks of it yes, both BBC and Sky are tweeting.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Courtier

Gordon Rayner@gordonrayner
Prince Harry expected to land back in the UK at about 4.30pm.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

HE'S HOME!! His plane arrived a few minutes ago.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Majesty

Prince Harry has arrived at RAF Brize Norton.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Majesty

BBC News:
tvpc.com - BBC News 24

Sky News:
tvpc.com - Sky News International
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Haven't seen anything on SkyNews yet, BBC is having a chat with someone about Henry's comments. No interview yet. Both news channels are covering business news and the missing children in the UK.

Plane arriving: http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-0...ns-to-britain/