The Duke of Sussex as Co-Founder and Patron of Sentebale

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ A little exchange at Rebecca English's Twitter page, ref Harry on the tour which has now finished.

Rebecca replying to Chic Happens compliments about her reports on the tour.

'Thanks. To be fair he worked hard on the trip, engaging with the people he met and trying to get his message across.'

CHic Happens (Jennifer) replies 'That's all we want really - enthusiasm and hard work in exchange for vast privilege. He gets it right (like both his parents.)'

Sad story. It's a reality charities just can't help everyone in need.

SENTEBALE means “Forget Me Not” in the Sesotho tongue of southern Africa.

The irony isn’t lost on 12-year-old Liketso.

She was the little girl who inspired Prince Harry to help Africa’s forgotten Aids victims and launch a charity in his mother’s memory.

But The Sun can today reveal the shocking truth about the girl whose tragedy once moved a Prince to the verge of tears
Read more: Harry’s forgotten girl: Tragedy of 12-year-old who moved Prince to tears then ‘abandoned’ by his Aids charity

No they can't Rudolph. The realities of trying to assist people in remote mountainous villages compound the problems. This young lady faces a very difficult future.

No they can't Rudolph. The realities of trying to assist people in remote mountainous villages compound the problems. This young lady faces a very difficult future.

and it sounds as though there is more to this story.

But she isn't some person living in Lesotho that the charity didn't know about so she wasn't helped. She met Harry twice and the charity visited multiple times and promised to take of the school fees which they didn't do. They probably will now that the article is in the paper.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I thought the response from KP was a bit weak. Liketso was the 'poster girl' for the charity.

Obviously Harry doesn't run the day to day operations of Sentebale but he gets all the glory and credit for the positive headlines so as patron he needs to be prepared to take responsibility for the not so positive headlines

Now that the story is in the paper she will probably be looked after though which is good.

I thought the response from KP was a bit weak. Liketso was the 'poster girl' for the charity.

Obviously Harry doesn't run the day to day operations of Sentebale but he gets all the glory and credit for the positive headlines so as patron he needs to be prepared to take responsibility for the not so positive headlines

Now that the story is in the paper she will probably be looked after though which is good.

Harry is more than just the Patron. He is one of the founders. He most likely has direct input on the people who run the charity. Something that a patron like Kate at Each or William wouldn't have.

because KP's response was so weak makes me think there could be more to the story. perhaps they did help and it was rejected or abused - or there was some other problem. ... the story just seemed very one sided.... or maybe Sentebale did drop the ball and it will get remedied.

What was surprising to me is Emily Andrews wrote the story. Anyone who follows her Twitter knows she is the biggest Harry 'fan girl' of all the royal reporters.

She actually embarrasses herself with how much she gushes over him.

It appears she did the research while she was covering Harry in Africa.

For her to write anything negative about Harry or his charity takes some doing

Indeed disappointing news :/ And I don't think paying the meds and school fees costs the earth in a poor country like Lesotho.

because KP's response was so weak makes me think there could be more to the story. perhaps they did help and it was rejected or abused - or there was some other problem. ... the story just seemed very one sided.... or maybe Sentebale did drop the ball and it will get remedied.

I can see why KP wouldn't say much because it's a Sentebale issue more than a KP issue. She is a 12 year girl who lives in a dirt poor country that had horrible things happened to her. I don't think she is trying to scam anyone.

^ The tabs do this all the time with Harry. A successful tour, people responding joyfully to him, so we have to 'get Harry' on something as if he has to personally check on each child Sentebale helps (and there have been several hundreds.) No mention of those children of course.

I think I can remember a story in another tab a couple of years ago about this girl and her not being helped by Sentebale. I'll have to look it up. I'm sure there was more behind the story. But of course Harry must be attacked as he is of course so much a part of the day by day running of the operation, always there in Lesotho never attending to royal duties in Britain, unlike his co-founder, a local Prince!

Later-- It was the Daily Mail in 2009 and much the same story. Sentebale officials actually in the country explained at that time that they had been unable to help Liketso because they couldn't get financial information from the family (the mother was away and had been sending money). Sentebale explained that they concentrated on helping schools, orphanages and the herd boy school, not individual children.

Last edited:
It's really unfortunate that Liketso is not getting assistance from the charity. I'm sure it's not deliberate. Hopefully now that it has been brought to light, the charity will be able do something to help her situation.

Last edited:
^ The tabs do this all the time with Harry. A successful tour, people responding joyfully to him, so we have to 'get Harry' on something as if he has to personally check on each child Sentebale helps (and there have been several hundreds.) No mention of those children of course.

I think I can remember a story in another tab a couple of years ago about this girl and her not being helped by Sentebale. I'll have to look it up. I'm sure there was more behind the story. But of course Harry must be attacked as he is of course so much a part of the day by day running of the operation, always there in Africa never attending to royal duties!

You can't have it both ways. Last week I didn't see anyone commenting that the day by day operations are out of Harry's hands.

You need to take the positive with the negative. Either Harry is hands on with Sentebale and knows what's going on or he doesn't.

Last week in Africa this thread was filled with 'Harry can do no wrong' and how Sentebale is his 'baby'.

Now its just a thing in Africa and how can Harry be expected to know such trivial details.

If you take the glory you need to be able to take the criticism.

I've had to delete and edit a few posts. This thread is about Harry and Sentebale and not about William and Kate. Also, please remember that we expect our members to treat each other with respect. There is a way to disagree without resorting to personal attacks or insults.

The DM was on this years ago and Sentebale explained its position, as I've already posted. It was a non-story in the end. Harry's a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. If there's a way to help this girl he'll do it.

It's really unfortunate that Liketso is not getting assistance from the charity. I'm sure it's not deliberate. Hopefully now that it has been brought to light, the charity will be able do something to help her situation.

I agree. Like I mentioned earlier, it cannot be easy for Sentebale to keep track of its clients considering the remote locations of many of the country's villages.

Why is the baby - Keke in Rebecca English's DM story and The Sun's story has a totally different name?

^^ Don't know, but it's obviously the same girl as the same photos were used of her as a baby with Harry, references to her as a poster girl for the charity etc. Where her mother is, the one who was sending money, who knows! Hopefully local Sentebale officials will get on the ball and do something. This doesn't negate the tremendous help that this charity has given countless other children in this poverty stricken nation, though.

It's good to see Harry playing some polo for charity. He used to play years ago much more regularly than he does now. He's probably out of practice.

I'm so glad to see that Harry is going to expand Sentebale to another poor nation in Africa, Botswana. It's clear he's looking forward to it and will visit and support it. It's a great move.

Coldplay to headline gig hosted by Prince Harry's charity Sentebale

Sentabale tweeted this morning that they were one of the beneficiaries of today's Audi Polo Challenge.

https://twitter.com/Sentebale/status/860819072380010496
@Sentebale‏Verified account @Sentebale 3h3 hours ago
More
Delighted to be a beneficiary of the @Audi Charity Polo Day today - looking forward to it! #polo

William and Harry both usually play in this game, so there's a non-zero chance of a Wales brothers polo outing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it's going to be a fun event.

Yes, it was great that Coldplay agreed to support Sentebale, and I hope it's well supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom