The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I like the fact that he is increasing his abroad duties, and I understand america but I wish he wouldn't. Somewhere in the commonwealth would be nice.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Aristocracy

I kind of wondered if this would be a problem in England. The BRF is pretty popular in America, so unless they do something wrong, they will always be well-received here - but if the situation were reversed, and he was the prince of America, and he went overseas and did charity work for England - I would wonder why he wasn't helping people in America.

He did a good job over here. I hope this doesn't turn into bad publicity in England.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

I like the fact that he is increasing his abroad duties, and I understand america but I wish he wouldn't. Somewhere in the commonwealth would be nice.

But do the Commonwealth realms want him?

It isn't possible just to say 'I will do it here' as there are political considerations that don't apply in the US.

e.g. if he was to be doing here in Australia, it could be construed as interferring in the drive for Australia to be a republic, which the RF can't do so the US is safe ground.

Once Australia becomes a republic, then it could be treated the same way as the US.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

He's not doing charity work for America, its for Lesotho. I can understand him wanting to continue raising money in America for Sentable if it raises more money than in England.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
But he's not doing charity work for America, its for Lesotho. I can understand him wanting to continue raising money in America for Sentable if it raises more money than in England.
It just always looks worse in the British tabloids. They don't seem to like either one of them, and they put up articles with a negative slant. Then people write in and say that they don't like them no matter what they do. I think people will read this and write in and say, " Why isn't he helping England"?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

There will probably be annoyance that Harry does very little for British charities, there is already outrage among some that Brown has promised £5m to Zimbabwe. I have heard many comments regarding Harry and his charity, apart from the complaints that most of the money is being spent on administration rather than the children but that charity begins at home!

There are many children suffering abuse here in the UK, with charities that help them struggling to raise funds or awareness, while Harry swans off to the US to support 'his' charity.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry, Patron, Sentebale, will attend a reception to mark Sentebale’s 3rd anniversary year, HSBC Private Bank, St James’s Street, London.
The Prince of Wales - Thursday 2nd July 2009
Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry has signalled his determination to follow in his late's mother's footsteps by making his first political speech on the issue of Aids and global poverty.

'My mother didn't mince her words and nor will I': Prince Harry follows Diana's footsteps with speech on Aids and poverty | Mail Online
Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well i'm glad he says that. I hope he keeps to his word.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Britain's Prince Harry laughs as he attends a charity reception in
London, on July 2, 2009. Prince Harry, patron of the Sentebale
charity, attended the reception of supporters, staff and trustees,
to mark Sentebale's third anniversary year. Sentebale was founded
in 2006 and is working with thousands of orphans and vulnerable
children in Lesotho.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Courtier

I'm glad sentebale is still up and running. They can only do as much as they can with the donations they receive. The extremely poor always lose out when the extremely wealthy have less to give.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Majesty

Is that sweat dripping off him in Pic 1? It must have been awfully warm at that venue!!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Veuve Clicquot Manhattan Polo Classic, held in New York in May this year, has raised over $400,000 for Sentebale’s work supporting orphans and vulnerable children in Lesotho. The American Friends of Sentebale were kindly selected to be the beneficiary of the match, in which Prince Harry took part.

The Prince of Wales - Sentebale benefits from the Manhattan Polo Classic
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the link, Skydragon!
I am glad Harry's charity is still raising substantial money.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Courtier

Living on 82p a day, the girl who inspired Prince Harry's charity

Quote:
It was the moment that inspired Prince Harry to follow in his mother's footsteps and help Africa's forgotten Aids victims.
Cradling ten-month-old Keke in his arms, the 19-year-old prince appeared close to tears as he was told of the dreadful ordeal she had suffered.

The baby had been raped and tortured by her stepfather who believed a witch doctor myth that sex with a virgin - however young - would cure him of HIV.

In a TV documentary filmed during Harry's first encounter with the little girl five years ago, he despaired of her plight.
'I held her in my arms,' he said. 'She couldn't move. She had no expression. No laughing, no crying. Nothing at all. It almost seemed as though she knew what happened.'
What a sad and terrible life that poor little girl had.
I understand it's not Sentebale's fault the poor child's troubles are far from over, however I do hope the charity does find a way to assist her in some way.
Millions, billions are donated to charities but those who need the money most rarely see any of it: the bureaucracy and corruption is maddening.

It really breaks your heart, when you think of all the children, all people who live in such terrible conditions: it makes complains of our 'hardships' seem so shallow in comparison.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Majesty

Sometimes the sheer volume of very needy people makes a person feel hopeless. But the best thing is to do what one can by researching charities to see where one's money is best spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
It really breaks your heart, when you think of all the children, all people who live in such terrible conditions: it makes complains of our 'hardships' seem so shallow in comparison.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for posting this Marsel. What an atrocious crime for such a young child to have to endure, I just can't even imagine! And then to continue suffering in poverty.
I hope Sentebale can work things out. I feel bad for Prince Harry as he started this charity with good intentions and yet they seem to be getting negative press.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/6424907/Prince-Harry-rides-to-the-rescue-of-African-orphans.html
Old 10-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

From the article -
Mandrake can disclose that potential donors from Virginia are to meet Harry next month at Clarence House, the Prince of Wales's London home, to discuss switching an annual polo tournament in which he takes part, from Gloucestershire to America.
"I'm organising a meeting at Clarence House with the Virginia investors," says Saroj Chakravarty, the founder of the Chakravarty Cup, which usually takes place at the Beaufort Polo Club near Tetbury. "Among them are some travel companies that are keen for the exposure
---------------
It would be a great pity if this event is moved, IMO.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ohhh Im near tears reading about the HIV 10 month old rape victim- what evil awful people and circumstances there are in the world. I do believe Harry has his mother's touch when it comes to persons such as this.....and uses his status for the greater good of all.