The Duke of Sussex as Co-Founder and Patron of Sentebale

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of articles out there claiming Meghan revealed her pet name for Prince Harry when photos were being taken with the cast of Hamilton. Some of the articles claim she turned to Harry and asked, "Can you see, my love?" But that's not a pet name though. According to her former agent, Meghan supposedly calls Harry, 'Haz' for short. And he calls her 'Meg' or 'Megs.' Both are obvious diminutives, and 'my love,' is a figure of speech.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2018083161771/meghan-markle-prince-harry-pet-name-royal-news/

The video attached to some of the articles simply shows Meghan looking back at Harry, but we can't hear what she says. Then she seems to look surprised, and covers her mouth. I think these stories are made-up. We do not know why she seemed to say 'Oops' and covered her mouth. She may have taken a mis-step as she was trying to move around and make sure she wasn't blocking Harry in the photo.

One thing I've noticed is how Harry allows Meghan to walk ahead of him, especially on certain occasions, such as the Mandela exhibit, and this Hamilton event. It's as if Harry gives Meghan preference for events that are particularly connected to interests she has, such as 'racial' equality (i.e., Mandela exhibit), and acting (i.e., Hamilton gala). But generally, Harry has always seemed to want Meghan to walk by his side, or in front of him actually, often letting her enter a doorway first. They both seem to be conscious of treating each other as equals. That does go against old-fashioned/ ancient royal protocol. They've always thrown self-conscious stiffness to the wind, with their frequent PDAs that we've seen throughout their relationship. They both have an up-to-date vibe and a compassion for people generally and for young people in particular.

I expect that the Hamilton gala raised a great deal of money for Sentebale, and that's wonderful! I hope we will eventually get to see M&H together touring Sentebale in Botswana.

ETA:
I see someone already posted a link to the Cosmopolitan article, where the 'my love' story originated. We can't hear what Meghan says in the video. And from looking at it, I doubt her reaction had anything to do with embarrassment for what she said to Harry. More likely the photo was being snapped as she turned around, and perhaps that's why she covered her mouth and laughed. We'd have to have been there standing next to her to know for sure what she said.

You most definitely can hear Meghan say " Can you see, my love?" in some of the videos try listening to that part with headphones. After she says it the entire cast said "awww" and at that moment you can see Meghan say "Oh!" because she just realized the cast heard her call Harry my love in public.

It was a sweet moment.

:previous: In come of the video it’s clear she said can you see, my love? And then the cast went aww. And then Meghan realized they heard her. But it was so short and quiet that it’s blink and you missed it.

As for letting her walk in front of him, I doubt it has any racial implications or anything like that. More like him being a gentleman.

Personally, I haven't seen a link where I've been able to hear the audio clearly. I don't question that Meghan asked Harry that question. Perhaps she did react to the cast members saying "Awww," but I still don't think we can be exactly sure, at least not in the footage I've seen so far.

In my previous post, I did not say Harry was showing Meghan preference as having anything to do with 'racial' equality between the two of them. :lol: It's hilarious that you took that to be what I meant. ?

I clearly said I thought Harry allowed Meghan to walk ahead at events associated with subjects close to her heart, or that she might be seen as strongly interested in, e.g., acting, and the Mandela exhibit. I was referencing 'Mandela' as someone who is a symbol for 'racial' equality and the struggle against apartheid in S.A., in terms of that being a large part of what the exhibit was about. But 'racial equality' surely has nothing whatever to do with Harry's regard for Meghan!

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex fell in love despite any apparent or perceived differences in background. If anything, Harry cherishes Meghan as his wife, and as a strong female whom he dearly loves, admires and respects. Neither Harry, nor Meghan likely ever think about issues of 'race' in terms of their intimate relationship! They said as much during their engagement interview.

Last edited:
My point still stand that I doubt it has anything to do with anything other than Harry being a gentleman. He does this at events except those that are more formal and calls for walking in a certain order.

There is no need to make it into anything else than a husband letting his wife walk in first.

Last edited:
I can hear it pretty clearly in a few of the videos. I don't know why it is such a big deal. A woman calling her husband "my love" is not news. Yes it was a sweet reaction from the cast and Meghan but honestly?

Harry always gestures for Meghan to go 1st. The same way he gestured for Lin-Manuel and his wife to follow Meghan as he followed them. That is just Harry.

:previous: Exactly. And I don't consider 'my love' to be a 'pet name.' It's simply an endearment, normal to many married couples. ?

You most definitely can hear Meghan say " Can you see, my love?" in some of the videos try listening to that part with headphones. After she says it the entire cast said "awww" and at that moment you can see Meghan say "Oh!" because she just realized the cast heard her call Harry my love in public.

It was a sweet moment.

:previous: Okay. Try as I might, I could not hear the audio clearly in any of the links to videos. And of course, some of the articles are making such a huge big deal out of what is actually a random sweet moment, if that's what Meghan's reaction was about. I'm mostly side-eyeing the OTT exaggerations and headlines claiming she did something embarrassing or somehow out-of-line.

Last edited:
I think it's lovely that Harry ushers her in ahead of him often and doesn't care that she shakes hands with people before he does. They have to keep to protocol at more formal occasions, especially where older royals are present, of course. Otherwise we'll be getting more articles when they are in Australia from the ghastly Fail and its counterparts, bleating about how Meghan is ignoring all the rules (often made up by the tabloid journalists themselves) when meeting officials.

Have to agree with jacqui24 and fros. Listen to it through headphones on a device that you can blast the sound. You can hear Meghan. Harry also appears to say “I can see” and has a pretty deep blush of his own. His response is harder to hear.

Very sweet exchange. I might have said an “awww” of my own. And yes, unless it’s a truly formal occasion Harry seems to prefer for Meghan to enter rooms and meet people first. I appreciate that above all else he’s a gentleman first. Half the time Meghan’s the one trying to push him forward to shake people’s hands.

:previous: Ah yep, re Meghan and Harry both extending courtesies to each other. That's exactly what my observation was about them treating each other as equals. ?

My point still stand that I doubt it has anything to do with anything other than Harry being a gentleman. He does this at events except those that are more formal and calls for walking in a certain order.

There is no need to make it into anything else than a husband letting his wife walk in first.

:lol: I wasn't attempting to make a big deal out of it. In fact, I was pointing out that Harry's a gentleman in allowing his wife to walk ahead of him, and to enter doors first. Which is the same as what you have implied. I only extended my observation to include Meghan seeming to be more front-and-center at the Mandela exhibit, and at this theater event. I've seen some mention of that by other observers as well. It's certainly not a big deal. So please, let's leave it at that. :flowers:

Prince Harry also allowed Lin-Manuel and his wife to walk ahead of him into the theater. So yes, Harry's a great gentleman, and he's courteous to everyone he meets. I would also imagine Harry's aware of his status and thus he wants to make people feel comfortable around him, so he's never put on airs, nor does he tend to stand on ceremony, unless he's attending actual royal ceremonial events, where protocol is more required and appropriate due to tradition.

I agree Harry is a gentleman that always let's Meghan go first but I wish they could figure out some sort of system sometimes.

For example a common thing that happens that I notice during their engagements is that their guide will enter a room and the Meghan enters because Harry let's her go first and then then the guide wants to introduce Harry first or Harry needs to do something like sign the guestbook first so Meghan has to turn around and basically rush Harry along so that he'll go upfront and do whatever is required first.

Just like usually there are usually 2 representatives for each Royal to talk to at an engagement but rather than splitting up and walking in 2 pairs (1 royal 1 Rep) Harry and Meghan usually share the same one Rep while the other one just tags along awkwardly and silently with the group. Theses are small things they need to work on simply because it doesn't look like a smooth operation if things like this keep happening.

Yeah I honestly don't care. It's a nice gesture that he steps aside to let her enter first

I agree Harry is a gentleman that always let's Meghan go first but I wish they could figure out some sort of system sometimes.

I think they've figured out their system for the most part since we can all articulate it. Now it's just up to their staff to communicate their preference to the people they're meeting. People will adapt but it may be bumpy since they're doing everything for the 1st time as a couple. Just like we saw HMQ's preference to always sit behind the driver on the Cheshire trip while H&M get in on opposite sides. Not a big deal but someone on their respective staffs should've passed Meghan that note.

Court Circular 27th September:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Sentebale, this afternoon attended a Board Meeting at 136 Sloane Street, London SW1.

We are excited to announce The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will attend @Cirque du Soleil's premiere of #TOTEM at the @RoyalAlbertHall on Wednesday 16 January. The evening will raise vital funds & awareness for our work supporting vulnerable youth affected by HIV in southern Africa

The evening will mark the second event in a series of #SentebaleNights, building on the success of the charity’s first production; a partnership with Cameron Mackintosh Productions in August 2018 with the hit musical @HamiltonWestEnd

This is after Meghans daytime visit to Mayhew.

Last edited:
How exciting is this, a Cirque du Soleil performance for Sentebale at the Albert Hall! A fantastic cause, and another chance to see this couple together. Really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
I love a Cirque show and lovely engagement for Sentebale.

Lovely to see the great support for Sentebale, and terrific that the Sussexes will attend this Cirque du Soleil performance.

I think out of all the charities and patronages that Harry has taken to heart, Sentebale is my favorite with the Invictus Games running a close second.

Sentebale is personal to Harry and when he is pictured there, you not only see his close affair with Africa but also with its people especially the children. Both Harry and Prince Seeiso did something wonderful to remember their mothers and has been an enduring friendship through the years.

I'm sure Harry and Meghan are going to love the Cirque de Soleil performance and enjoy it immensely and it will be great to see them out for the evening but it has to also warm Harry's heart that its all going to benefit something near and dear to his heart.

:previous: Indeed senteble has been a passion project for Harry and you see it in his work. Both he and Seeso have a deep connection to what they have created in their mothers memories.

It's one thing I have always loved about Harry. He doesnt just gave a group of random charities, that are good Royal causes. Senteble, Invictus and walking with the wounded he has such a deep connection to. While heads together is an important cause, I always feel a deeper connection of Harry to his personal projects. I see Meghan having a similar connection to the charities she chose.

I am sure they will both enjoy the performance. Great fundraiser for a great cause.

Last edited:
You've hit the nail on the head with the word "passion". Its taken a while for Harry to embrace totally the role he was born to play for a lifetime but over the years, being able to find for himself what he is passionate about and work from that has made all the difference in the world.

Sure there will be days upon days when the engagements and the duties will seem like a never ending list of chores but to sit where he will sit tonight and see that the passion he had that goaded him to work with Seeiso to establish Sentebale is making a difference in people's lives and growing.

That has to be one of the most rewarding experiences a human being can have. The knowing that they've made a difference.

I do hope we see Harry do a public visit to Lesotho and Botswana soon. I know he is down there a fair amount privately, but it would be so lovely to see him and Meghan go together for a public visit! And bring Baby Sussex when they are older too.

I really love how much Harry and the Sentebale crew have been incorporating music/the arts into their fundraisers.

The gala will be fun, I am sure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Video of the Sussex Arrival-

They both look in good form and happy to be there. The show was probably absolutely wonderful to watch. A great evening I would say!

Great show for the wonderful Sentebale charity. The Sussexes looked gorgeous. So touching to see Duchess Meghan wearing Princess Diana’s bracelet again tonight. It looked like an amazing night.

Court Circular 16th January:
The Duke of Sussex, Patron, and The Duchess of Sussex this evening attended the Première of Cirque du Soleil "Totem" in support of Sentebale at the Royal Albert Hall, London SW7, and were received by Colonel Jane Davis (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London).

It’ll be interesting to hear final numbers reported but early word from Sentebale organizers has this performance raising more money than Hamilton. Good to see them building on the success. Potential Sentebale-National Theater collaboration feels like a no-brainer.

It’ll be interesting to hear final numbers reported but early word from Sentebale organizers has this performance raising more money than Hamilton. Good to see them building on the success. Potential Sentebale-National Theater collaboration feels like a no-brainer.

That collaboration would fit so nicely with the National Theater's aim to bring more diversity into it. Its a win/win situation all the way around. ?

The National Theatre and Sentebale? I suspect it will happen eventually. Nice marriage of both their patronages. These Sentebale nights have been very successful so why not hold one at the NT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom