The Duke of Sussex and Walking with the Wounded

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Harry_zps19263213.png

Arms of HRH The Duke of Sussex

The Duke of Sussex and
Walking with the Wounded

This thread covers all of Harry's work with this charity, including:
Patron of the North Pole Expedition 2011
Patron of the Everest 2012 Expedition
Patron of the South Pole Allied Challenge 2013
Patron of the Walk of Britain Trek 2015
Patron of the Walk of America Expedition 2018

Official Website

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prince of Wales - Friday 19th March 2010

Friday 19th March 2010

Prince Harry will launch the ‘Walking with the Wounded’ North Pole World Record expedition at The Rifles Club, London, SW1A. The Prince will meet some of the wounded Service personnel who will be involved in the record-breaking expedition, as well as meet some of the guides and view some equipment.

"Prince Harry has launched the first unaided trek to the North Pole
for disabled servicemen and said he would like to take part in the
challenge.
The royal, who is patron of the Walking with the Wounded charity
organising the four-week trek, launched the event at The Rifles
Club in west London" on March 19, 2010.

Here's the full article from bbc news including a video:

** Prince Harry hopes to join disabled troops Pole trek **

Prince Harry arriving at The Rifles Club after the Walking
With The Wounded press launch London, England - 19.03.10

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga 1 ** belga 2 **

Pictures from the press conference:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
It would be good to see Harry on the 4 week trek, if he can have time off from his Army commitments

That's one thing that I enjoy about the Wales brothers: the teasing directed at each other during their speeches.:)

I love how age doesn't affect his comments, I agree with Mermaid1962. :)

Prince Harry is to trek to the north pole with some Army amputees in April. He will join them for the last 5 days before attending his brothers wedding. It will be the first time amputees will have reached the north pole unsupported if they succeed. heres a link ...

BBC News - Wounded war veterans ready for North Pole challenge

I'd say good luck to all of them

I could only admire the courage of these young men and the Prince who agreed to go with them

It reminds me when Jan Mela, young Polish teenager reached the North Pole and later the South Pole. He was supported by veteran Polish polar explorer Marek Kamiński.
more here
So good luck guys :)

Last edited:
Frosty_lady said:
Prince Harry is to trek to the north pole with some Army amputees in April.
I believe the dates have changed and moved up a bit to March so he is definitly home for wedding- I think this change was made after annoucement was put out but I not 100% sure

I could only admire the courage of these young men and the Prince who agreed to go with them

I agree and I think that Prince Harry has really found his niche in life in regards to his charity work. I also can't wait to see the pictures from the event.

I agree and I think that Prince Harry has really found his niche in life in regards to his charity work. I also can't wait to see the pictures from the event.

One thing I do admire about Harry and his brother is that when they get involved with something, they really get involved rather than snipping ribbons and making speeches. This is a trait I think they both got from their mother. Actions speak much louder than words.

One thing I do admire about Harry and his brother is that when they get involved with something, they really get involved rather than snipping ribbons and making speeches. This is a trait I think they both got from their mother. Actions speak much louder than words.

You do realise that in the 1970s the Prince who did the action type activites was Prince Charles, followed in the 1980s by Andrew. Philip had also done the action type activities in the 1950s and 1960s.

Diana did a lot of things to get involved but the royals have been getting in and getting things done for a long time - long before Diana.

Let's not forget Anne, who was getting involved in places like Africa long before Diana as well.

I do think that they get their involvement from both parents as Charles is very hands-on with the Princes Trust, but he isn't glamorous and so doesn't get the credit for the work he has done for over 30 years with that charity.

Once again you set me straight.. thanks! I do have to admit that the boys both probably got a lot of their passionate nature about things from their dad who is most definitely known to be very passionate and involved with what he holds dear.

Prince Harry: 'Walking With the Wounded' Expedition to the North Pole - Mar-Apr 2011

From the Prince of Wales website.

Prince Harry to join Walking with the Wounded Expedition to the North Pole, 29th March - 5th April

25th March 2011
Prince Harry will join a team of wounded military servicemen at the start of their expedition to trek unaided to the Geographic North Pole. The Prince - Patron of the charity Walking with the Wounded - will join the group at their base camp in Longyearbyen, north Norway on 29th March, where he will undertake three days of training with the team. The Prince will then trek with the team for five days as they commence their expedition high above the Arctic Circle. Prince Harry will depart the ice on 5th April, to return to the United Kingdom for continued military training.
The Walking with the Wounded team includes four wounded soldiers, who have suffered life-changing injuries during active service, including two amputees. They will be accompanied by two expedition leaders and a Norwegian polar guide. Their four week expedition will see the team covering up to 200 miles of the frozen Arctic Ocean by foot, pulling their own equipment in sleds weighing in excess of 100kg and in temperatures that can drop to minus 60.
The Walking with the Wounded Expedition supports other charities that help injured soldiers rebuild their lives. The money raised from this expedition will be used for educational courses and training programmes to aid rehabilitation back into ordinary life.

Very cool. Good for him. If he can't fight with them, he certainly can walk with them.

You know what I really like about the second photo; he's not the star of it, he's just one of the guys. I know thats how he thinks of himself. And the first picture, well, he's just ridiculously handsome isn't he?
I so agree, he is ridiculously handsome, to me the best looking of the Windsor set!!

Prince Harry laughs off -40C temperatures warning during North Pole trek | Mail Online

He's hot again. Needs to lay off the beer more, no need for the blowness in the face.

I don't understand the comment? The "blowness" in the face? If you are referring to the redness, Harry has naturally fair skin and with the cold environment that is contributing to his look. I don't think beer has anything to do with this particular look.

Thanks for the article though. I wonder if there is a video out there.

I think it's wonderful (and brave) that Harry is doing this trek. I hope they reach their goal in fundraising for charity.

I don't understand the comment? The "blowness" in the face? If you are referring to the redness, Harry has naturally fair skin and with the cold environment that is contributing to his look. I don't think beer has anything to do with this particular look.

Thanks for the article though. I wonder if there is a video out there.
No, he looked a bit bloated lately. Not referring to the newest pics.

Prince Harry jumping into icy water as he tries wearing an immersion suit on the
island of Spitsbergen, between the Norwegian mainland and the North Pole,
March 30, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom