The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

This was the headline from the Mail On-Line

I was completely over the moon': Little girl's delight at being hoisted onto Prince Harry's shoulders so she could see the bands at the Invictus Games closing ceremony
Isabelle Nixon, five, was left upset after being unable to see the stage
Adam Nixon, 31, had earlier captained Team GB to victory in basketball
Prince Harry spotted the little girl and swung her onto his shoulders
The royal then stayed and danced with Isabelle for the rest of the evening
Her soldier father lost his left leg following an IED blast in Basra in 2004
By RUTH STYLES FOR MAILONLINE

The rest of the story is on-line. This is a heart warming story.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 9 secs10 seconds ago
There will be NO #InvictusGames for 2015. The next games will take place in spring 2016

BIDDING PROCESS OPEN FOR ASPIRING HOSTS OF FUTURE INVICTUS GAMES | INVICTUS GAMES

Old 12-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Harry is presenting an award to competitors of the Invictus Games for outstanding achievement at the Sports' Personality of the Year Awards.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Do we know why? It seems like they would like to keep going while the iron is hot.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Well bear in mind things like the Olympics and commonwealth games only happen every 4 years. It must be a massive logistical thing to organise especially if its not going to be in the same place every time and that will need time to make sure it's done properly. I don't think it's anything to worry about
Old 01-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well bear in mind things like the Olympics and commonwealth games only happen every 4 years. It must be a massive logistical thing to organise especially if its not going to be in the same place every time and that will need time to make sure it's done properly. I don't think it's anything to worry about
True, true. Biannual might be better then! Although they fixed that one in 6 months I don't think they wan't to do that again :P
Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

They used a lot of the same locations and arenas from the London 2012 Olympics but if they want to host it somewhere else that will take longer to plan etc so a longer wait it probably sensible.

BIDDING PROCESS OPEN FOR ASPIRING HOSTS OF FUTURE INVICTUS GAMES | INVICTUS GAMES

Actually having looked at the Invictus Games website itself it says there will be games in Spring 2016 and Summer 2017 and that the bidding process to host each of those is now started.
It says the break in 2015 is to allow for organisation and to raise funds. This makes sense really given its gone from a one off event to a semi-regular event to be hosted elsewhere I imagine there is alot to plan and prepare behind the scenes to have the organisation in place.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope Toronto makes a bid for next year and here's why. We'll be fresh off hosting the Pan and Para Pan Am Games and all the facilities will be in place. The only real issue to my thinking would be Accommodations, as the Village for the Pan Ams are to be used for affordable housing afterwards, but w/it being Toronto, I'm sure something can be worked out.

I really do think it would be the perfect place for the second Invictus Games. Will keep my fingers crossed it happens. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

It is official Orlando in May 2016 for the next games. It's at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.

I wonder how many people who live in the area will make out to Disney for it or will it be tourists who are already there for the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

There will be an overlap in America. It already has the Warrior Games there annually in which British soldiers participate.

I suspect by holding it at Walt Disney World they're hoping for tourists already there to pop in and watch.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

It is great news and it has been higly anticipated! Couldn't believe my eyes when i read the tweets this morning!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It is official Orlando in May 2016 for the next games. It's at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.
I wonder how many people who live in the area will make out to Disney for it or will it be tourists who are already there for the parks.
I think it will be a huge regional and fair national draw for general fans of sport. For visitors, the infrastructure and support hotels/restaurants/distractions can't be beaten and there should be no transportation woes. I can imagine busloads of back to school kids on field trips - which would be great for both sides to the fields of competition, depending on pricing of course
IMO we have become a very veteran friendly place and love Harry. We are also finally embracing the disabled as heroes.
Best of all, it should not require a huge outlay of cash for facilities.
And that fact that it is Disney/ESPN affiliated means there will be solid publicity of events. Good choice.
Oh - and I just looked up weather. Sept. Monthly average high/low: 90/73. 6 inches of precip month on average. (32/23 degrees centigrade).
Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

It does sound an excellent choice of venue for these Games. Thanks for the local information, AdmirerUS.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I think it will be a huge regional and fair national draw for general fans of sport. For visitors, the infrastructure and support hotels/restaurants/distractions can't be beaten and there should be no transportation woes. I can imagine busloads of back to school kids on field trips - which would be great for both sides to the fields of competition, depending on pricing of course
IMO we have become a very veteran friendly place and love Harry. We are also finally embracing the disabled as heroes.
Best of all, it should not require a huge outlay of cash for facilities.
And that fact that it is Disney/ESPN affiliated means there will be solid publicity of events. Good choice.
Oh - and I just looked up weather. Sept. Monthly average high/low: 90/73. 6 inches of precip month on average. (32/23 degrees centigrade).
I agree with Curryong! Thank you for the information! :)

And as Harry said in the video. It's an excelent place for a family event :)
Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

The Invictus Games: September 10-14, 2014

It's not in September but in May. The 8th to 12th. Kids are still in school and probably preparing for or taking the standardized test required at the end of the school year.

WDW is easy to get around if you are staying on Disney property but it can be very gridlocked in the tourist areas outside the park and in the international drive area where Universal Studios and Sea World area plus there are tons of toll rolls everywhere.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder if any of the young members of the royal family will make it over to the games?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wonder if any of the young members of the royal family will make it over to the games?
I thought about that as well. The Queen won't go since she didn't even go to the local one. And Charles and Camilla seems doubtful. But William and Kate miiiight be a possibility.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

It would be easy to tie it to a Caribbean tour which is where the rumor for a spring 2016 Cambridge tour.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It would be easy to tie it to a Caribbean tour which is where the rumor for a spring 2016 Cambridge tour.

Oh, that would be a really nice way to do it :)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

At Disney World?