The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been said many times, politics are not a topic to be discussed here at TRF. As such, all posts discussing the Trumps and his/their/family opinions or policies have been removed.

If you wish to discuss Melania Trump's attendance at the Invictus Games, do so without bringing in any political aspect or those posts will be deleted as well.

A while back, I posted about the Toronto Islands, the venue for the cycling, being closed. Happily, they'll re-open to the general public on Monday July 31. I'm actually really excited that the Islands will be given international exposure.

With that said, I really haven't heard any advertising/buzz for the games on local media.

'It's our bridge too': Girl, 11, with cerebal palsy pens touching letter to Prince Harry calling for the Sydney Harbour Bridge to be made wheelchair-accessible with a lift in time for the Invictus Games

Bryan Adams and Kelly Clarkson will headline the closing ceremonies at Prince Harry's Invictus Games in Toronto next month.

Kelly Clarkson and Bryan Adams to close Prince Harry's Invictus Games Toronto

Prince Harry shares a good luck message with all 550 competitors from 17 nations who will be competing at the Invictus Games Toronto 2017

https://www.facebook.com/invictuslondon/videos/1413709972082536/

The programme of Prince Harry in Canada

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn....=d4f005f460d7941fbac5e36fd20f70e1&oe=5A3FCF63

I Hope to enjoy it Tiggersk8!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Toronto organising committee did a great job to put this together. The bar has been set for Australia.

The Toronto organising committee did a great job to put this together. The bar has been set for Australia.

We will do a great job but it will be our way. I really don't think the idea behind the games is to outshine the one before. The last thing we need is another event that's all about spending money big name acts etc

Yes, attention will be where it belongs on the games. But it's blind to think they wouldn't steal a lot of the press coverage. If she attended her first event with him it would be all over the papers. One could only hope it would lead more people to read about the event.

I've a question here. The Invictus Games are solely Harry's passion and something he put into motion. This year, its being held in Toronto, Canada. I'm sure Harry will be very visible at these games but I'm wondering if any of the events surrounding these Invictus Games would be classified as "official" events (as in listed in the Court Circular). As its on Canadian soil, wouldn't anything "official" have to be on the invite of the Canadian government?

I've a question here. The Invictus Games are solely Harry's passion and something he put into motion. This year, its being held in Toronto, Canada. I'm sure Harry will be very visible at these games but I'm wondering if any of the events surrounding these Invictus Games would be classified as "official" events (as in listed in the Court Circular). As its on Canadian soil, wouldn't anything "official" have to be on the invite of the Canadian government?

All events with Invictus are CC engagements.

At last year's games, Harry got CC recognition for attending the launch of the 2017 Games in Toronto (May 2), for flying from Toronto to Florida for the games (May 3), for attending the Opening of the games (May 8), and for attending the games themselves (May 9, 10, 11, and 12), and for attending the Closing of the games (May 12).

I think the thing that people are forgetting here is that Invictus isn't simply something Harry does because it's a cause he's passionate about. Invictus is Harry at work. He is an official patron of this charity and is "working" when he's attending it. While previous royal girlfriends have attended events that have been personal to Harry or William, this is not a comparable event. Family weddings, graduations, etc aren't the same - those are personal events that get recognition in the CC. Invictus isn't. He's working this event.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. As always, this is the best place to ask questions and know you're going to get answers. :D

A wonderful and inspirational Express article about what Invictus means to her from Sgt Mary Wilson who fought back from depression after being medically discharged following service in Afghanistan.
She lavishes praise on Harry too, for his encouragement of the competitors, his backing and his banter, making them all feel better. She's convinced some of them wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for Harry and his founding of the Invictus Games. It's a real feel-good story, I think.

Harry’s Invictus Games gave me back my pride, says Sgt MARY WILSON | Express Comment | Comment | Express.co.uk

You are confusing this with state visits, I believe. It can be in CC even if he's not there on invitation from the government.

Started getting stuff together tonight. I go as far as my Sister's Thursday, then Toronto Friday & the Opening Ceremonies Saturday!! Can not wait!!! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

If only I was able to get to Canada. I would love to see it all. Oh well, there's Sydney 2018!

I would also love to be there for the opening ceremonies in Toronto. Seeing as that is not going to happen, I think the best thing we can do is hope that with our own Tiggersk8 being there that she carries all our best wishes to the games for us and hopefully share her experiences with us. I'm looking forward to that. :D

You're making me blush Osipi. [emoji4]. I managed to find one of two must haves last night, which is a T shirt I have w/a Teddy Bear waving our Maple Leaf flag proudly, but do you think Mom & I could find our spare big flag we have for our flag pole? Nope!! The search continues tonight, but if it doesn't turn up, Dad's got a Dr's appt tomorrow & I'll get one then.

I have tickets for the Opening Ceremonies, Swimming Finals (The Pan Am Water Sports Complex's just too far out for 2 trips there & back) & both Prelim & Finals for Wheelchair Rugby. The other Events I'm interested in, like Wheelchair Tennis, are in Public Areas like Nathan Phillips Square & are free. I also hope to make it out to the Zoo, as it'll be the last chance I'll have to see the Pandas, & the Blue Jays are playing their final Homestand starting tonight & ending Sunday, so I hope I'm able to get to one Jays game at least.

Not too much longer to go!! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

:previous:Wonderful! I hope you enjoy it as much as you hope and keep us posted, :D

Have a fantastic time! Which area of the city will you be staying in?

HRH Prince Harry explains what Invictus Spirit is all about: Invictus Games 2017.

..and attends the True Patriot Love Symposium at Scotia Plaza during a pre Invictus Games event

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...ot_love_symposium,_toronto?celeb=Prince Harry

Prince Harry meets workers at Hospital and greets the crowds leaving The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Prince Harry meets with workers at hospital in Canada | Daily Mail Online

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Prince+Harry/Invictus+Games+Toronto+2017+Day+1/rqyaa04CcKs

Prince Harry meets the Melania Trump First Lady of the United States, who is leading the USA team delegation to the Invictus Games.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZZJm-Sgv3u/?taken-by=kensingtonroyal

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee..._team_delegation,_toronto?celeb=Melania Trump

Prince Harry at the Jaguar Land Rover driving challenge, Toronto

Prince Harry presents the medals to the winners the Jaguar Land Rover driving challenge ahead of the Invictus Games 2017 and going on a drive !!
Adorable Harry especially with the little kids!

Prince Harry meets and with the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...nadian_prime_minister_justin_trudeau,_toronto

No matter where you read about the events Harry participated in leading up to the Invictus Games, Harry's personality shines through. It was typical Harry mode interacting with the two children and of course, should he be meeting someone that just happens to be in a wheelchair, Harry instictively gets down to their level. I think this is what impresses me the most about Harry. His instinctive knowing just the right thing to do to make others feel comfortable.

Of course, the best pictures of all are at the Fail. They never disappoint when it comes to their photography. Just wish their reporting was at a higher level of integrity.

Toronto, along with the rest of the southern part of the province, is currently under a heat warning for the next two days, with maximum humidex values forecast to approach 40 on both Saturday and Sunday. I feel for the athletics and wheelchair tennis athletes who'll be competing in that on Sunday. I'm assuming the cars in the JLR driving challenge will have AC.

I also note that they were forced to move the cycling to its backup site at High Park from the Islands.

It does seem like Mother Nature is throwing her own challenges at the competitors over the weekend with unusually high heat for this time of year.

I'm sure that they'll take everything into consideration and make sure that the athletes keep hydrated and watch for over exertion and sunstroke. I don't think though that *anything* could really damper these athletes spirit now as the opening ceremony is so close at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom