The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
"One only has to look up and watch again the speeches that Harry has made at any of the Invictus Games to know how deeply he feels about this. Harry wears his emotions on his sleeve a lot of times and when talking about IG and the people competing, its plain to see the love, hope, encouragement and staunch support Harry holds for the Invictus Games"

Beautifully stated Osipi! I myself have followed the Invictus Games from their early beginnings and look forward to May.
It will be reassuring to see Harry at the Games in The Hague and especially to hear one of his powerful speeches!

Just to clarify, I never said or meant to imply that Harry was abandoning the IG. My posts, including quotes from the Times article, meant to convey my impression of a pattern of behavior with Harry...

:previous:I thought The Times article was quite informative and not exclusive to one side or another. I did appreciate your further verbatim post of what was in The Times article as I only included a few lines in my own post. I'm a bit baffled over the concern some think/thought Harry to be abandoning IG. I think alot of the perhaps confusion among his supporters mentioned in the article and others will be reassured once the actual Games start in May if not sooner.

Even maybe on February 28th when Harry joins with Jon Bon Jovi for the remix of the song "Unbroken".

That right there tells me Harry is involved as he's ever been. ?

Just to clarify, I never said or meant to imply that Harry was abandoning the IG. My posts, including quotes from the Times article, meant to convey my impression of a pattern of behavior with Harry...

Harry has never had a pattern of abandoning causes he was devoted to. Sebtebale and IG both are passion projects. He has never spoken of leaving either behind with this move. Not anyone actually involved actually voiced any concern that he would.

Both organizations have teams of people who run the every day functions. Just like royal foundations do. Harry has never been in the every day running so this isn’t a change. His role may evolve as he is now going to be working and not simply being a royal patron but that’s to be expected. When you actually work for a living you have less time to travel for patronages.

But as he said in his recent speeches he is as dedicated as ever. Anyone who actually listens to him speak about his work with IG, walking with the wounded and sentebale no his passion.

Harry has never had a pattern of abandoning causes he was devoted to. Sebtebale and IG both are passion projects. He has never spoken of leaving either behind with this move. Not anyone actually involved actually voiced any concern that he would.

Both organizations have teams of people who run the every day functions. Just like royal foundations do. Harry has never been in the every day running so this isn’t a change. His role may evolve as he is now going to be working and not simply being a royal patron but that’s to be expected. When you actually work for a living you have less time to travel for patronages.

But as he said in his recent speeches he is as dedicated as ever. Anyone who actually listens to him speak about his work with IG, walking with the wounded and sentebale no his passion.

Oh no, that's not what I meant about a pattern of behavior......my fault, I should have clarified. The unknown supporters spoke of his not contacting them or not advising them of his plans so that they felt "dropped like a bad habit". I realize I don't have exact proof in front of me, but I do believe that old saying of where there's smoke, there's fire, so.........On the other hand, it's also possible that some supporters are disappointed that Harry is leaving and perhaps are bitter, hence their comments.

No, I understand that Harry is passionate about his work with wounded veterans - that's something that can never be in doubt.

Oh no, that's not what I meant about a pattern of behavior......my fault, I should have clarified. The unknown supporters spoke of his not contacting them or not advising them of his plans so that they felt "dropped like a bad habit". I realize I don't have exact proof in front of me, but I do believe that old saying of where there's smoke, there's fire, so.........On the other hand, it's also possible that some supporters are disappointed that Harry is leaving and perhaps are bitter, hence their comments.

No, I understand that Harry is passionate about his work with wounded veterans - that's something that can never be in doubt.
He may well be, but he's never been involved in the day to day running and now he'll have a new kind of life.

What senior Royal has ever been involved in the day to day running of any of their charities or endeavours? Harry had the idea, started the IG off, showed the necessary enthusiasm and drive to get it off the ground and has supported it 110% ever since. He is continuing that this week and will be there at The Hague in May, supporting those competitors as he has always done.

What senior Royal has ever been involved in the day to day running of any of their charities or endeavours? Harry had the idea, started the IG off, showed the necessary enthusiasm and drive to get it off the ground and has supported it 110% ever since. He is continuing that this week and will be there at The Hague in May, supporting those competitors as he has always done.

Prince Charles's Prince's Trust, since 1976.
You're welcome.

Like Harry, Charles is very invested in the Prince's Trust and keeps an eagle eye on it but he is not working the day to day activities for that Trust. The Prince's Trust has seven offices scattered around that handle the day to day business. It is an entity in and of itself with its own patrons, board of directors and trustees and staff. Offices are located:

Prince's Trust South London Centre. ...
Prince's Trust Scotland. ...
The Prince's Trust Northern Ireland. ...
The Prince's Trust Cymru. ...
The Prince's Trust London and South East Regional Office. ...
The Prince's Trust East Midlands Regional Office. ...
The Prince's Trust East of England Regional Office.

Just as the Invictus Games is its own foundation in and of itself and has its own Chairperson, Board of Trustees and staff. Harry is the patron.

So, it is correct to state that senior royals are not involved in the day to day business of these foundations.

https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/foundation/governance/

Like Harry, Charles is very invested in the Prince's Trust and keeps an eagle eye on it but he is not working the day to day activities for that Trust. The Prince's Trust has seven offices scattered around that handle the day to day business. It is an entity in and of itself with its own patrons, board of directors and trustees and staff. Offices are located:

Prince's Trust South London Centre. ...
Prince's Trust Scotland. ...
The Prince's Trust Northern Ireland. ...
The Prince's Trust Cymru. ...
The Prince's Trust London and South East Regional Office. ...
The Prince's Trust East Midlands Regional Office. ...
The Prince's Trust East of England Regional Office.

Just as the Invictus Games is its own foundation in and of itself and has its own Chairperson, Board of Trustees and staff. Harry is the patron.

So, it is correct to state that senior royals are not involved in the day to day business of these foundations.

https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/foundation/governance/

Maybe it's a bit too subtitle but i see a difference between the words "involved" and "working". Of course Charles is not" working" on a daily basis for the Prince's trust, it's not his role and he doesn't have time for this, but he's firmly" involved", as the "boss" is any decision made anyday in the name of the Trust.
Sometimes some members want us to believe that Harry more or less discovered hot water with the Invictus Games. It's a very commendable charity and like many of us some of it's members are maybe a bit worried about the future and the attitude of their "boss".

Last edited:
Maybe it's a bit too subtitle but i see a difference between the words "involved" and "working". Of course Charles is not" working" on a daily basis for the Prince's trust, it's not his role and he doesn't have time for this, but he's firmly" involved", as the "boss" is any decision made anyday in the name of the Trust.
Sometimes some members want us to believe that Harry more or less discovered hot water with the Invictus Games. It's a very commendable charity and like many of us some of it's members are maybe a bit worried about the future and the attitude of their "boss".

Charles' Trust has been around for about 40 years and no, of course he does not run it himself.. but I agree that he is very much concerned and involved with it.. He would not have time to run all his charity and other works himself..but he clearly tries very hard to keep an eye on thigns as much as he can. And he is resident in the UK and dedicated to the royal role..

I'd hardly expect that he'd be involved in selling tickets, choreographing the opening and closing ceremonies and drawing up timetables for different events, whether he was in the UK or Canada or anywhere else. He's the "patron", not the organiser. But some volunteers have been expressing concern in the media over the lack of clarity surrounding his future involvement. It seems to be more the confusion than anything else.

Looking at those statements made by a few people that have expressed concern, it also shows that when it comes to the Invictus Games, it just wouldn't be the IG without Harry and those volunteers wouldn't have even begun to feel a sense of "abandonment" if they didn't feel that Harry was crucial to the games in the first place. In a way, it could even be considered a compliment to the depth of involvement that Harry *has* put into the IG over the years. If Harry was just a "figurehead" and patron, some people wouldn't have reacted as they have. ?

Even though the Invictus Games are a foundation established as its own entity, The words "Harry" and the "Invictus Games" go together like peanut butter and jelly. I wouldn't be surprised either that the song "Unbroken" and the remix that they're doing the 28th is specifically for the games in The Hague and is going to be worded more to fit the Invictus Games than it originally was for "To Be Of Service". I will definitely be watching to see if that is the case.

Next up: February 28th when Harry meets up with Jon Bon Jovi at Apple Road to rerecord "Unbroken". Abbey Road has always been familiar to me as I was a huge Beatles fan back in the day. :D

Just a note to add here a bit about "To Be Of Service". Not all of our wounded warriors that will be participating in the 2020 Invictus Games are ones with visible physical scars but also those that bear the scars and the trauma of PTSD. This documentary, if you have access to either Amazon Prime or Netflix, tells the stories of how having a service dog, in a lot of cases, heal better than any medication available. Its a definite must watch in my eyes.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of warriors at the IG complete with their service dogs that are as crucial to their well being as their closes family and friends are.

There is no better example of unconditional love better than a dog. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in the '80s, so the Beatles weren't really my thing but Bon Jovi definitely were - I'm loving the fact that Jon Bon Jovi's got involved with this.

Bon Jovi was huge back in the day...still love their songs! So neat Harry's getting together with JBJ for Invictus!

LaRae

Great to see the Sussexes in action again and fun that Harry recreated the famous photo!

Fantastic event with Harry and Bon Jovi. I love they recreated the iconic photo. I was born in the 80s but beyond country music my father was obsessed with classic pop and rock. Between him and my high school history teacher I had a good education on the Beatles.

Bon Jovi is amazing singer but even greater humanitarian. His JBJ soul foundation works to combat homelessness. His restaurants provide free meals to the homeless in return for volunteering. His housing project has recently started working with homeless veterans in DC and last year helped house 77 veterans. With his convenient in the documentary ‘To be of service’ and his song for it he was a good partner for Invivtus.

He performed at the games in 2017.

Exciting to see Harry with Jon Bon Jovi and the Invictus Games Choir today. Music can be so powerful!

Also, cool to see the Scots Guard playing Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer" during changing of the guard today - thanks for posting that, sndral.

Yes, music is indeed a powerful force and it was good to see Harry, Bon Jovi and the Invictus Choir exercising it today. Another powerful force is the deep bond that has always existed between Harry and the Invictus veterans. Looking forward to the Games!

:previous: I presume the games are still going to take place then, even though there have been nearly 1,000 cases of COVID-19 in the Netherlands and 12 deaths.

I think the games will be postponed until the fall.

I'm in agreement that the IG will be postponed to a later date. With the games scheduled to start only a short while from now, it just is common sense that with this virus still so rampant and with measures being taken globally to combat it, that it would be in the best interests of the athletes, their families and the spectators that they'd wait until assured of a healthy environment before holding the games.

With everything else being cancelled or postponed. This will go but with the Olympics being the big one about. I am ot so sure about the Invictus Games going ahead at all. It is not a necessary event so to speak.

The games have been postponed until Summer 2021.

This is smart move to make at this time. Disappointing of course to those of us looking forward to the IG in May but the health and safety of us all trumps our entertainment hopes. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom